Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Seriously? 30Mil Euro

Is Alonso really worth 30-mil Euro a year to drive a car? I, mean, seriously? That's the limit Mad Max originally proposed for the budget cap....

So what if he's a 2x WDC, or a 7x champion for that matter...is anyone doing a sport worth that much money in pay?

His salary is over 575,000 Euro a week....per race he's worth nearly 1.6million Euro.

Guess this is one area where he can't have a whine and a moan....

How many cars does Ferrari have to sell to cover his pay packet?

C'mon Handy, everybody knows it's not Ferrari money it's Santander money :P Raikkonen is also being paid 9m this season, which means without even being in the series he's supposedly earning the same as Jenson Button (iirc). Absurd.

Seriously, sports people should not be paid so much but it's probably our fault they are.

He's on more than Button, to the tune of 5mil more, or 50% more even....

...and why is it my fault they are paid so much? Did I ask for them to be paid that much...heck no. I think it's a crying shame that anyone that wipes his backside just like you or me, is considered to be worth that much. Regardless of sport.

And before anyone might say "oh, but they have worked so hard and sacrificed to get to where they are".....err....no not really....instead of achieving academic doctorates etc, they slouched off and only really paid attention to gym class, and the girls. They then drove some cars, that someone else paid for (their parents to start with, and then some motorsport team), got lucky in that they happened to be in a fast car at the right time, and then the rest is history.

You and I also work damn hard, though our paths are in a different vocation, and there is no way anyone would be willing to pay just one person in the company that much.

But the worst part, is that because they do earn so much, they think they are above us.

Well, their excrement is still brown, and they gotta wash their own hands after taking a dump.

I'm not saying that they should only earn, say $50k a year...they do give me entertainment, of which I get for, er, free, and for that there should be a "value" attributed to giving me some sh1ts n giggles, but I sure do not think that value is 30mil Euro (which here on lil ol NZ is close to 50mil....a million a week....)

("I" as in "we" as much as "they" as in "any player/any driver/any sport")

I remember when Shaq O'Neal's contract was one of the sensationally big, he was asked if that was too much money to be paid. His respponse was "imagine how much owners of the team earn if they can pay me that much".

Ask yourself this. Would you complain or care if you were earning 30 mil a year. No way!

What really bothers me is these politicians and fat arsed bank directors claiming expenses when their monthly salary exceeds our per annum. Pay for it yourselves you ****ing fat b#####ds, stop ruining the world economy.

F1 cars are not easy to drive.

(a quote from Robert K after expalaing that some people think its easy to drive an F1 car but they wouldn't if they knew (the title).)

...and why is it my fault they are paid so much? Did I ask for them to be paid that much...heck no. I think it's a crying shame that anyone that wipes his backside just like you or me, is considered to be worth that much. Regardless of sport.

And before anyone might say "oh, but they have worked so hard and sacrificed to get to where they are".....err....no not really....instead of achieving academic doctorates etc, they slouched off and only really paid attention to gym class, and the girls. They then drove some cars, that someone else paid for (their parents to start with, and then some motorsport team), got lucky in that they happened to be in a fast car at the right time, and then the rest is history.

You and I also work damn hard, though our paths are in a different vocation, and there is no way anyone would be willing to pay just one person in the company that much.

But the worst part, is that because they do earn so much, they think they are above us.

Well, their excrement is still brown, and they gotta wash their own hands after taking a dump.

I'm not saying that they should only earn, say $50k a year...they do give me entertainment, of which I get for, er, free, and for that there should be a "value" attributed to giving me some sh1ts n giggles, but I sure do not think that value is 30mil Euro (which here on lil ol NZ is close to 50mil....a million a week....)

Totally agree!

I guess it's a good indication of the general decline all societies around the world are experiencing.

Why the f**k should a singer, a football player or a driver be paid all those money?

It's really frustrating.

How can anyone invest in education and knowledge?

All he can achieve is to have his name in unemployment lists or sub-1000 euro jobs that probably have absolutely nothing to do with his studies.

Can you kick a ball well or sing for our entertainment? Then you are what we are looking for.

You studied marine biology? I hear there is a pet shop around the corner that sells turtles, they may need somebody... Good luck...

F1 cars are not easy to drive.

(a quote from Robert K after expalaing that some people think its easy to drive an F1 car but they wouldn't if they knew (the title).)

So?

Lots of things are hard to do. Driving a 20-tonne excavator is hard to do too, but you don't see any construction workers paid 30-mil Euro...

Ask yourself this. Would you complain or care if you were earning 30 mil a year. No way!

What really bothers me is these politicians and fat arsed bank directors claiming expenses when their monthly salary exceeds our per annum. Pay for it yourselves you ****ing fat b#####ds, stop ruining the world economy.

I'd never ask for that much in the first place. I'd be happy for 1/30th of that to drive a F1 car for a season. Thats more than enough to live comfortably.

As for expenses scandals...agree 100%.

C'mon Handy, everybody knows it's not Ferrari money it's Santander money :P Raikkonen is also being paid 9m this season, which means without even being in the series he's supposedly earning the same as Jenson Button (iirc). Absurd.

Seriously, sports people should not be paid so much but it's probably our fault they are.

That's not Raikkonen's fault. If you had a contract with someone and they wanted to end it early, you have a right to be compensated. That's how contracts work in the business and sporting world. If anything I think Kimi was gracious in not making a whole scene about it. Just picture Webber or Alonso in the same situation and tell me they would have left F1 quietly. Didn't think so.

@Handy: I meant it's our fault they are paid so much in the sense that we, as fans of F1, and members of society in general, put so much emphasis on our worship of sports-people. If the fans (customers) weren't there, then they obviously wouldn't be paid so much.

That's not Raikkonen's fault. If you had a contract with someone and they wanted to end it early, you have a right to be compensated. That's how contracts work in the business and sporting world. If anything I think Kimi was gracious in not making a whole scene about it. Just picture Webber or Alonso in the same situation and tell me they would have left F1 quietly. Didn't think so.

I know it isn't his fault, I don't think my post implied I thought it was, either :P I was just suggesting that a driver who isn't competing in the series being paid more than most of the guys who are is absurd in the sense it invites ridicule, and I suppose on first appearance it seems illogical too.

As for him not making a fuss, I agree, then again that side of his personality is possibly also why Ferrari didn't want to keep him (not willing to become a team leader). Two sides of the same coin and all that.

:wub: Marry me. :wub:

He's worth it. Plus, eyebrow maintenance does not come cheap.

i havent read pretty much all but the top few.... By signing Alonso Ferrari will benefit more even if they're paying him 30mill euro.. Is he worth it... NO way, I don't even think he's the best driver, he wines to get everything sorted around him! Vettel and Hamilton are no doubt the best drivers, and comparing Vettels 2 mill pay to Alonso's 30mill, I would be p**sed if i was Vettel!

Back to the topic, it's all about Marketing... I would sign any GOOD spanish driver and pay them massive, The spaniards bring in massive sales!

i havent read pretty much all but the top few.... By signing Alonso Ferrari will benefit more even if they're paying him 30mill euro.. Is he worth it... NO way, I don't even think he's the best driver, he wines to get everything sorted around him! Vettel and Hamilton are no doubt the best drivers, and comparing Vettels 2 mill pay to Alonso's 30mill, I would be p**sed if i was Vettel!

Back to the topic, it's all about Marketing... I would sign any GOOD spanish driver and pay them massive, The spaniards bring in massive sales!

Sales of what???

He's worth it. Plus, eyebrow maintenance does not come cheap.

Trust you to actually answer the question at hand....:P

I don't think he's worth 30mil....was Schumi ever paid that much? Is he as good as Schumi, if we use him as the standard (in his prime, as Alonso is). Even taking inflation into account, I still struggle to think a Ferrari Alonso is worth more than a Ferrari Schumi.

Whiner, moaner, girl on a tuesday in a tutu skirt, call him what you like! He's still laughing all the way to Santander! And I bet every single one of you would do the same if you were banking the same wage packet! I know I would! I'd be laughing my 36dd's all the way to richandsecureville!

I'd still buy my jeans from Primark though! :lol:

:wub: Marry me. :wub:

:blush: Do I have to pay the expenses? :lol:;)

:blush: Do I have to pay the expenses? :lol:;)

Yes. You're the on going to be on 30-mil and laughing all the way to the bank.

People will look at you on your way to the bank you know. And you know what they'll think????

"Nutbar"

That's what.

Yes. You're the on going to be on 30-mil and laughing all the way to the bank.

People will look at you on your way to the bank you know. And you know what they'll think????

"Nutbar"

That's what.

They think that already, cause thats what I am! Don't make no difference to me! But see they may catch you looking at me laughing all the way to the bank, and they'll think..

'jealous'

;):lol:

Trust you to actually answer the question at hand....:P

I don't think he's worth 30mil....was Schumi ever paid that much? Is he as good as Schumi, if we use him as the standard (in his prime, as Alonso is). Even taking inflation into account, I still struggle to think a Ferrari Alonso is worth more than a Ferrari Schumi.

Thing is Craig, what's anyone actually worth? Do you put a price on a perceived level of skill, combined with the risks of personal injury and somehow arrive at a number? The reason the number is so high is because the course of time has inflated driver salaries to ridiculous levels through corporate demands. That, and Alonso's desire for a status. Let's face it, if you are the highest paid, you are perceived as the best.

Or, you can be sh!t, as long as your brother has a surname with clout.....

The numbers will go up and up because that's the nature of the beast. Anything less would somehow take the edge off the mysique that surrounds this stupid old sport of ours. I mean, come on, you and I would drive around in circles in a Ferrari for nothing, right? But then we're normal people (well, sheep shagging aside).

Thing is Craig, what's anyone actually worth? Do you put a price on a perceived level of skill, combined with the risks of personal injury and somehow arrive at a number? The reason the number is so high is because the course of time has inflated driver salaries to ridiculous levels through corporate demands. That, and Alonso's desire for a status. Let's face it, if you are the highest paid, you are perceived as the best.

The numbers will go up and up because that's the nature of the beast. Anything less would somehow take the edge off the mysique that surrounds this stupid old sport of ours. I mean, come on, you and I would drive around in circles in a Ferrari for nothing, right? But then we're normal people (well, sheep shagging aside).

Good post. Except for the sheep shagging. Especially if you're hung like a donkey. Sheep and donkey is wrong. :whistling:

Your latest posts made so much sense it's scary.

I don't agree with the money paid to sportsmen but, as Steph so clearly put it, it is nothing compared with the scandalous earnings from some guys who had gotten us into this world crysis, who keep sucking up resources from third world countries, causing ecological disasters, etc. Those are the ones that really show how little connection there is between actual merits and earnings past certain levels.

As for Alonso being worth 30 million and Schumi and blah blah. Schumi was paid at his time the biggest contract in sports history (52 mill for I don't remember how many seasons). Alonso's contract is huge and maybe even greater than that of Schumi, but nowadays is not the biggest one in sports. I bet Petrov's earnings must be higher than those Villeneuve Sr ever got, yet that doesn't mean that much does it?

On a final, unrelated note: Santander Bank is one of the few that survived the tests on its sustainability among all the Spanish banks. The main reason was because of the huge earnings they made in Latin America, mainly Brazil, which account for 80% of their actual revenue. If it wasn't for Brazil and Latin America, most Spanish banks (and many other European companies) would have fallen during the last two years. I just mentioned this because nowadays, as recognized recently by a Santander manager, the Brazilian market is more of a priority than the Spanish. Maybe now we should talk about Massa being kept only because of Santander? :P

(Totally OT, I know, but I am too lazy to look up for a proper place to post this)

Someone's jealous. :P

If you'd like to make €30,000,000, improve your human capital. Unique talents and services get paid unique wages. Everyone else can be replaced by everyone else or, better yet, an automated system. :)

Is how the marketplace works. If someone wants to pay 30 M, then he deserve it!

Indeed.