Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KoolMonkey

I Guess That'S Finally It Then... Kimi Gone For Good :(

Considering he's busy finshing last or crashing out in WRC, might not be all that hard to buy him out.

I'd tend to agree with you on that one, but apparently both Mini and Monster are interested in having him as a driver next season. Mind you, that's the same Monster who has Ken Block as their other driver currently. Seems they are only after names rather than substance.

It's called a confidentiality clause and every contract will have one. It''ll go something like this; you don't saying anything to anyone about the situation and we will continue to pay you the money that is owed to you on your contract. If anything comes out in the press then we cease payment and take action to recover monies that have been paid to date.

Given that Kimi will only talk to the press at the end of a cattle prod at the best of times then it is a pretty safe bet he'll keep schtum.

Tchau

you have a point there. But I'm sure there are plenty of ways for Kimi to bad mouth Ferrari, while staying within the bounds of the confidentiality clause. He didn't.He didn't seem to be interested. And secondly, the clause lasts as long as the contract itself. So I don't think Ferrari can do anything to recover money or something if Kimi says something wrong about them.

I'd tend to agree with you on that one, but apparently both Mini and Monster are interested in having him as a driver next season. Mind you, that's the same Monster who has Ken Block as their other driver currently. Seems they are only after names rather than substance.

They are, first time I heard about them was when they became Rossi's sponsor, only afterwards they widened the scope a bit to the second Yamaha team. Even I, blind as I am, have realised that they're in the midst of a very aggressive marketing campaign.

Hmmm, Kimi entering F1 with overalls written all over with "Mini monster"... I'd hide from the world :whistling:

They are, first time I heard about them was when they became Rossi's sponsor, only afterwards they widened the scope a bit to the second Yamaha team. Even I, blind as I am, have realised that they're in the midst of a very aggressive marketing campaign.

Hmmm, Kimi entering F1 with overalls written all over with "Mini monster"... I'd hide from the world :whistling:

Well, you won't have to worry about the last point. For a start, it'd be in WRC, not F1, and a massive 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of motorsport fans watch WRC these days. :P

Well, you won't have to worry about the last point. For a start, it'd be in WRC, not F1, and a massive 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of motorsport fans watch WRC these days. :P

Haha, love your sig pic. It's a shame too about peeps not watching WRC. I know where I am, the problem is they have it on TV weeks after the actual event. It's not an easy sport to follow on TV compared with F1. With F1 you watch the race and it's over. With WRC the events last all day for 5-6 days, so not many stations will show it live. Thus you get highlights often a week or two after the race has finished. From what WRC I have seen, it's entertaining.

Even though I still have contacts within the organisation, I have taken a measured view of all this 'Kimi to Renault' story until such times as something to substantiate it fell on my ears. Unfortunately, it hasn't. My only solid information is that a. Kimi's people approached the Regie with a package that included hefty funding from an unnamed third party sponsor if Renault were interested in taking the errant Finn on and b. they were mumblings in Paris, [which is where all F1 decisions are made, irrespective of Boullier's input] that KR is unreliable, seriously unfit and not a team player. The last attribute is a key element for the French. They are seriously happy with Kubica and his commitment this year and feel that Kimi would not be a good 'fit' with the flying Pole. I have to agree but this is F1, Disneyland on wheels where money does all the talking and there is probably a contract on the table right now. It is not Renault's style to announce this sort of news to 'buff up' team status. There has to be something more going on. We shall see.

Even though I still have contacts within the organisation, I have taken a measured view of all this 'Kimi to Renault' story until such times as something to substantiate it fell on my ears. Unfortunately, it hasn't. My only solid information is that a. Kimi's people approached the Regie with a package that included hefty funding from an unnamed third party sponsor if Renault were interested in taking the errant Finn on and b. they were mumblings in Paris, [which is where all F1 decisions are made, irrespective of Boullier's input] that KR is unreliable, seriously unfit and not a team player. The last attribute is a key element for the French. They are seriously happy with Kubica and his commitment this year and feel that Kimi would not be a good 'fit' with the flying Pole. I have to agree but this is F1, Disneyland on wheels where money does all the talking and there is probably a contract on the table right now. It is not Renault's style to announce this sort of news to 'buff up' team status. There has to be something more going on. We shall see.

Lol. You could also take a point of view that if you had a chance to hire a driver who was all that, yet still was the fastest guy on the grid, there's no question about should you do it or not. Of course you should, he can only be much faster still. ;)

But on a serious note, concentrating on Renault's motivations... What else besides "buffing up" the team status did Renault gain by this announcement, and what else could they even have planned to gain? To me, it seems clear that they were just using Kimi's name and popularity among F1 fans (just look at James Allen's blog to see how obsessed people are about getting Kimi back to F1) to draw attention to themselves and the progress they've made this season. I think it shows somewhat poor taste, but nothing bad in it as such, since they honestly have made a good job this season.

Yúp, those were pretty much my own impressions. My only doubt is how much of Lopez' Renault is like the Renault of yesteryear...

If anything, this lightweight Renault seems, surprisingly, like a better version of the old Renault. Actually, it looks like hte old Renault F1 team, minus the burden of a big, bureaucratic and conservative corporation behind (which I guess is probably what it actually is). Would like to hear your impressions about it.

Haha, love your sig pic. It's a shame too about peeps not watching WRC. I know where I am, the problem is they have it on TV weeks after the actual event. It's not an easy sport to follow on TV compared with F1. With F1 you watch the race and it's over. With WRC the events last all day for 5-6 days, so not many stations will show it live. Thus you get highlights often a week or two after the race has finished. From what WRC I have seen, it's entertaining.

Yeah, it's a shame how WRC has declined. I aliken it to what happened in Formula One in the early part of the decade, when it turned into the Schumacher show, people grew bored and stopped watching. In this case, the WRC has turned into the Sebastien Loeb show.

There's other issues that I believe have caused WRC's downfall, such as the way the sport has been run, and other issues such as boring cars, not so many high-calibre drivers and some true classic rallies have been absent from the calendar. I give WRC credit though, with Block and Raikkonen in the sport has mildly increased interest, the spot light is at last back on the sport just in time for the new cars and new regs for next year.

As for your point about TV coverage, well, I guess live rallying wouldn't make that great footage anyway, with just one car going through the stage at a time, then waiting for the next one to go....I guess it's not a recipe for great TV, unlike Rallycross for example. However, saying that, the IRC coverage of the Monte was glorious, with most of it live. Shows that maybe it can be done, with the right technique.

Anyway, back to the topic....:P

I see block more in the vein of Pastrana than a Loeb. His Gymkhana videos are excellent, and his Top Gear segment was epic. As for Kimi's rally outlook, I think there's a reason rally drivers start young. He has the speed and control on tarmac, but on the other surfaces, he's learning that while he's fast and can stay on track most of the time, he's still making mistakes and crashing. If he kept at it however, he will improve of course. Me personally, I'd rather he came back to F1 for a few years, won some races, then when he felt the time was right, leaves on his own accord. Then he can take up WRC and stick at it for several years.

I hope he sticks at WRC. For one, it's good for that sport, and two, as I've said previously, it would render this year a bit pointless, no? As you point out, he's learning. He could never have expected to win straight away in WRC, however successful he was in F1, simply because they are two completely different forms of racing. He's built up a bank of knowledge on how to handle various rallies, and with the switch to new cars next year, it means everyone is on a learning curve, Loeb, Hirvonen, etc, so he could do rather well. If he switches back to F1, well, what's he really done? Only got a few solid, if unspectacular results and some DNFs to his name.

Yúp, those were pretty much my own impressions. My only doubt is how much of Lopez' Renault is like the Renault of yesteryear...

If anything, this lightweight Renault seems, surprisingly, like a better version of the old Renault. Actually, it looks like hte old Renault F1 team, minus the burden of a big, bureaucratic and conservative corporation behind (which I guess is probably what it actually is). Would like to hear your impressions about it.

My impressions are that everything has tightened up under Lopez and Boullier is actually an effective component in that he is an accomplished race engineer. In my day, there was a gushing torrent of 'waste' and overspending. The regie still have a big say, after all, their name is on the car. As long as they are supplying engines in F1 they may always keep their interest although I believe the team requires an increase in it's current budget if it wants to stay in the development race. What that will take, in terms of ownership or equity shift is not clear.

A new article today about Renault securring some additional Russian sponsorship money for the next 5 races. Seems like that is their main goal and focus in trying to crack that market, and having Petrov is key to that. However as soon as his money is gone, or they realize business might not be so good in Russia, then other drivers will come more into the fray.

Insider, some interesting comments about Kimi and Renaults perception of him. But from everything I have seen over the past few years, I have not ever actually seen or heard or read a team principal or anyone say a bad thing about Kimi. Of course we have a few odd outbursts which looked like sour grapes once they had signed Alonso, but I know I could easily dig up 4-5 proper quotes from Haug, and other high end team guys who all praise Kimi. This work ethic thing is something that can trigger quite heated debates over, but I still have to wonder if it's more smoke and rumor than any actuality. The end result is the same though as perception can be just as powerful as fact.

For me it's more a curiosity, as peeps keep repeating it about this work ethic thing. I'd love to actually read a quote from someone in a team, anyone for that matter, because as I mentioned, all I've seen is positive stuff.

A new article today about Renault securring some additional Russian sponsorship money for the next 5 races. Seems like that is their main goal and focus in trying to crack that market, and having Petrov is key to that. However as soon as his money is gone, or they realize business might not be so good in Russia, then other drivers will come more into the fray.

Insider, some interesting comments about Kimi and Renaults perception of him. But from everything I have seen over the past few years, I have not ever actually seen or heard or read a team principal or anyone say a bad thing about Kimi. Of course we have a few odd outbursts which looked like sour grapes once they had signed Alonso, but I know I could easily dig up 4-5 proper quotes from Haug, and other high end team guys who all praise Kimi. This work ethic thing is something that can trigger quite heated debates over, but I still have to wonder if it's more smoke and rumor than any actuality. The end result is the same though as perception can be just as powerful as fact.

For me it's more a curiosity, as peeps keep repeating it about this work ethic thing. I'd love to actually read a quote from someone in a team, anyone for that matter, because as I mentioned, all I've seen is positive stuff.

You won't find any negative comments from any of his employers, so far I've seen none as facts as a Kimi fan....however, you will find comments from posters likely to discredit Kimi about work ethic etc notably from fans like Cav who just hates the guy....

Latest rumour all over the news is that Kubica goes to Ferrari and Massa to either Renault or Sauber. Massa to Sauber would be bad news for Kobayashi (I love this guy)....

Well, all those people have signed contracts, but we have seen how much is that worth.

You won't find any negative comments from any of his employers, so far I've seen none as facts as a Kimi fan....however, you will find comments from posters likely to discredit Kimi about work ethic etc notably from fans like Cav who just hates the guy....

There's a few more on here who seem to hate Kimi, but then claim they don't :eusa_think: I find it ironic that the people who hate claim they don't hate Kimi, attack with venom his supporters. That's an action of displeasure and intolerance, and can be viewed as hateful by some. If I don't like a driver or don't follow a driver, I might vent some frustration now and then towards that driver if they do something that's warranted aka. like Alonso for example, but there are times I'm happy to say a driver has done well too (Alonso included). Far from being a Kimi fanatic, his fans have every right to follow his progress, chat about him and either be stoked, disappointed or hopeful. But for the non fans who supposedly hate Kimi, my God do you spend a lot of time talking about someone and something you'd claim to not give a toss about.

As far as the lack of any quotes or comments from team management about Kimi's work ethic is concerned, it still hurts him from a PR angle. But for arguments sake, it's still rumor and inuendo to me, as the verifiable quotes and comments praising Kimi are factual and in existence.

Wapi, I saw that too. Two things that make this rumor interesting. One, Renault are not going to let Kubica go without a fight, and in return get Massa. Kubica has a brighter future than Massa. I don't mean to upset any of his fans, but 2008 is I believe as good as it's going to get for him. Secondly, there's no way Alonso is going to be happy with Kubica as a number two. Just imagine Kubica being told Alonso is faster than him.... can you confirm you understand!? I doubt he'd even reply on the radio to be frank, and we'd have the massive pleasure of hearing Alonso lose it in the c#ckpit. After that thought, Kubica to Ferrari :clap3:

Massa to Sauber makes sense. Nice team, though suffering this year, and Ferrari supply their engines. So just like Honda offloaded Sato to Super Aguri (I miss those guys), Sauber would be a good place to put Massa. Kobayashi will find a drive in another team. Williams might be a good home for him actually. Hulkenburg isn't a bad driver, but really he's flying under the radar and I don't think in a good way.

If Renault do end up losing Kubica, that can only strengthen Kimi's chances. If they are serious, they are not going to field a Massa/Petrov pairing. Maybe Toro Rosso might be happy with that, but not this new lean mean Renault.

Latest rumour all over the news is that Kubica goes to Ferrari and Massa to either Renault or Sauber. Massa to Sauber would be bad news for Kobayashi (I love this guy)....

Well, all those people have signed contracts, but we have seen how much is that worth.

I don't know, it might be an opportunity for Kobayashi to prove himself even more. I like the guy too.

Well, if it's true, Kubica and Alonso might be friends now, but I doubt they'll be as friendly towards each other after say....a couple of races as team mates.

there can be many "IF"

one can be like this:

Swapping Between Kubica and Massa.

and why on earth Renault will sacrifice Kubica for a rookie... ??

LOL!! i am faster than the MEDIA rumor

http://f1complete.com/2010-news/18352-rumour-massa-to-sauber-kubica-to-ferrari

I can see Massa wanting out if the team orders thing bothered him, or if Flavio Briatore is going to be his new boss.

But I don't think either is the case, so Massa's at Ferrari in 2011, Kubica at Renault, and Schumacher at Mercedes. The press have to sell something, and "everyone's confirmed in all the rides that mean anything" is not going to sell. So, sure, Michael's being forced out, Massa's quitting, Räikkönen's returning, Sutil's moving up, Kubica's joining Alonso and Flavio for a festival of friendship at Ferrari...

Based on last year though, it seems like contracts aren't worth the money they are printed on. People still bang on about Webber retiring if he wins the WDC this year, but there's too many "ifs", "buts" and "maybes" at the moment.

But of course. There's no story about Webber, so let's create one and say he'll retire. That's journalism.

Contracts can be quite meaningless, but when they become meaningless, they also become expensive. You don't sign long-term deals with a team to not even do a single year of the new contract unless you and your team are stupid.

I think he has said some stuff about retirement Eric, but I think it's mostly be misinterpreted. Not all journalism is sleazy though.

I think he has said some stuff about retirement Eric, but I think it's mostly be misinterpreted. Not all journalism is sleazy though.

100% of paid journalism is business driven. If you interpret that as sleazy, so be it. I personally don't find it sleazy; I just don't put much stock into what's written, unless it's written by me about the USGP not happening. ;)

(And I'm not trying to insult journalism/journalists in any way. They need to make livings, too, and have every right to write what will be published).