Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zanet

Gut, Heart And Head

When it comes to feelings about who will win this most enticing F1 season ever, i must admit a war goes on in my body

Gut Feeling - ALONSO

In my heart - HAMILTON

My head tells me - WEBBER

any one else feel the same way?

I still think it will come down to a 4 horse race for the next 2 races (Button, most likely to be left behind). Ferrari was just as disheartened as Lewis seems now three weeks ago and now they are the team to beat. Logic says that Suzuka should be an RBR track, no contest, but logic has so far played a little role. I am writing off Button just because I don't see him as determined as Hamilton, but his consistency might make him find himself at the top if the other guys keep pushing too much and losing points by accidents or own mistakes.

Hard to predict and I am happy that it stays like that. They all (except Button, perhaps) made big blunders, but they all also gave us heroic displays under pressure. None of them should be ashamed of what they accomplished so far. I look forward to next season with such a close fight plus Kubica in the mix (and, who knows? perhaps a reborn Michael, one can only hope...) You need to go back at least 20 years to find such an explosive mix of drivers and even back then I am not sure if there was a fight between 5 drivers of such caliber.

When it comes to feelings about who will win this most enticing F1 season ever, i must admit a war goes on in my body

Gut Feeling - ALONSO

In my heart - HAMILTON

My head tells me - WEBBER

any one else feel the same way?

If you have it from me...

Gut feeling: Alonso

My heart is with: Alonso

My Head tells me: Alonso

:lol:

It p*sses me off that Button still gets written off, by stupid remarks. With all due respect Andres you're talking bulls**t. Button's determination is absolutely bang on the money. He's as hungry as ever.

An example of the determination he shows. Honda. The myearthnightmare car, he still got in it determined for points at least. Demotivated perhaps but ALWAYS determined.

So, thats my tuppenny **** opinion.

In my heart, Button. In my head, Button.

I would so love Jens to grab it. Saying that, you'd still get those who'd still not accept it.

There are only three contenders left.

My gut feeling is the one I always have: that my least favorite will win. So Webber it is.

My heart wants everyone to get DQ'd and Sutil win, but, of the three, Hamilton.

My head tells me it's Webber.

It's going to be Webber. :glare:

It p*sses me off that Button still gets written off, by stupid remarks. With all due respect Andres you're talking bulls**t. Button's determination is absolutely bang on the money. He's as hungry as ever.

An example of the determination he shows. Honda. The myearthnightmare car, he still got in it determined for points at least. Demotivated perhaps but ALWAYS determined.

So, thats my tuppenny **** opinion.

In my heart, Button. In my head, Button.

I would so love Jens to grab it. Saying that, you'd still get those who'd still not accept it.

If he is as hungry as ever, he eats like a girl on her first date :P

Sorry, Steph, but I stick to my opinion. A guy like Lewis (or Alonso, or Vettel, or Kubica or Schumi, for that matter) can alway go from kamikaze, capable of doing enormous mistakes to sublime, because that same fire is what makes these guys go past beyond their own limitations. It is a risky game of rollercoasting, and it is very frustrating at times to see them crash. You can imagine how Lewisterics (that goes for you Maure, now get your a## back here!) must feel now. A guy like Button (or Heidfeld, or IMO Rosberg, for that matter) play the conservative card. They are perfect, and rarely make any mistake. That might pay handsomely if the other guys keep taking each other off. His results show how his consistency lets him keep in touch with the other guys while they are all too busy trying to tear each other's throat. Ditto for Britney, whose anonimous drives seem more effective than Kubica's fireworks. But that lack of fiery passion is both his blessing and his curse. Button seems unable of push or being pushed into the heights the other contenders can attain. He will always play the gentleman, the surgeon-precision racer. And sometimes you need to drive like a madman all over the kerbs and forget your manners. The other guys can sometimes drive like Button, but Button doesn't seem to be able to drive like them.

Back in the Prost vs Senna ages, Alain himself commented many times that the difference between him and Ayrton was that he drove as perfect as any human could drive, but Ayrton went past beyond that, past beyond self preservation. And those are the gaps where the other guys make their difference.

This is my bulls##t, and I stick to it :P Will you consider having sex with me after this post?

I think in general I probably agree with QO above regarding the different approaches of drivers. Despite that I do think Button (and other drivers in his mould that Andres mentioned) can drive almost like a Lewis every now and then, although perhaps they need certain conditions to be able to do that. I suppose my opinion would be that it's easier for a Lewis to drive a like a Button (calm and smooth) than it is for a Button to drive like a Lewis (aggressive and attacking). It's easier for LH to turn it down than it is for Button to turn it up, if you like. Does that make sense?

Also, just on a related note and to show I am not so much against Button: I think in such a tight championship where the top guys are all naturally pushing harder and making more mistakes than usual, a style and approach such as Button's could really be effective; although in this battle I don't think it will be because the standard of the grid is too high and the drivers at the top are, in general, good at being on the limit without making errors.

Anyway, enough of that. My gut tells me Alonso, my head says Webber and my heart says Hamilton or Alonso should take it (simply because they are the two best drivers in top cars).

I think in general I probably agree with QO above regarding the different approaches of drivers. Despite that I do think Button (and other drivers in his mould that Andres mentioned) can drive almost like a Lewis every now and then, although perhaps they need certain conditions to be able to do that. I suppose my opinion would be that it's easier for a Lewis to drive a like a Button (calm and smooth) than it is for a Button to drive like a Lewis (aggressive and attacking). It's easier for LH to turn it down than it is for Button to turn it up, if you like. Does that make sense?

Also, just on a related note and to show I am not so much against Button: I think in such a tight championship where the top guys are all naturally pushing harder and making more mistakes than usual, a style and approach such as Button's could really be effective; although in this battle I don't think it will be because the standard of the grid is too high and the drivers at the top are, in general, good at being on the limit without making errors.

Anyway, enough of that. My gut tells me Alonso, my head says Webber and my heart says Hamilton or Alonso should take it (simply because they are the two best drivers in top cars).

That was exactly what I was trying to say. Now, would you consider having sex with me then?

That was exactly what I was trying to say. Now, would you consider having sex with me then?

Oh my Andres, I was beginning to think you'd never ask!

Since McLaren introduced the blown diffuser, my perception is that Jenson appears in general to have struggled for raw pace, compared to Lewis (apart from Monza, where Jenson was excellent), and I feel that unless the upgrades that they are putting it on the car move him more towards his driving style that he will begin to fade behind Lewis as long as Lewis doesn't make any more mistakes.

The problem that Jenson has, is that his smooth style whilst great for race pace and tyre preservation is not quiet so conducive to qualifying, especially in a car that is not really a great qualifying car as this year's McLaren doesn't seem to be. At the moment Lewis' ability to drive the wheels off the car and be aggressive seems to be giving him an edge in quali, and that is always putting Jenson on the back foot in quali. I hope McLaren can resolve it for him, I just see Lewis as having the better momentum at the moment as long as he can reverse his trend of non finishes.

I am with Alonso, he's in great form, and Ferrari have a lot of momentum at the moment.

Yeah my gut feeling is that Alonso will take it. Funny that my gut feelings seem to work like Eric's, with the least favoured option giving more of an emotional reaction. My head says Webber is in a strong position so my head is opting for him, and everyone knows in my heart I've got my head up Lewis's a##.

You need to go back at least 20 years to find such an explosive mix of drivers and even back then I am not sure if there was a fight between 5 drivers of such caliber.

Hmmm... I always agree with you (agreed?!) but I'm not sure about that. According to wikipedia as recently as 1994 we had Olivier Beretta, Philippe Alliot, Yannick Dalmas, Hideki Noda, Érik Comas and Jean-Denis Délétraz all in the same team.

You can imagine how Lewisterics (that goes for you Maure, now get your a## back here!) must feel now.

I guess we've all been thinking about, and missing, Maure - especially when the forum is quiet. With results this bad, I miss the catharsis of winding him up about how the last two races prove Ron Dennis is still favouring Alonso. :whistling:

Since McLaren introduced the blown diffuser, my perception is that Jenson appears in general to have struggled for raw pace, compared to Lewis (apart from Monza, where Jenson was excellent), and I feel that unless the upgrades that they are putting it on the car move him more towards his driving style that he will begin to fade behind Lewis as long as Lewis doesn't make any more mistakes.

The problem that Jenson has, is that his smooth style whilst great for race pace and tyre preservation is not quiet so conducive to qualifying, especially in a car that is not really a great qualifying car as this year's McLaren doesn't seem to be. At the moment Lewis' ability to drive the wheels off the car and be aggressive seems to be giving him an edge in quali, and that is always putting Jenson on the back foot in quali. I hope McLaren can resolve it for him, I just see Lewis as having the better momentum at the moment as long as he can reverse his trend of non finishes.

Yes I noticed that too. It's interesting. Maybe we're imagining it but if not, it could mean lots of things. Perhaps the blown diffuser makes the car less stable and hence less suited to Jenson's smooth style. Or maybe Lewis sets up a car faster than Jenson, and has found a better set up so far - or conversely perhaps it takes him longer to find the right set up and he's only just managed it.

PS An idea just occurred to me. Does farting on the straight stall the rear wing? Hence "f-duct"? I think all that driving one-handed is just smoke and mirrors from McLaren. Even Virgin Racing could implement this...

PS An idea just occurred to me. Does farting on the straight stall the rear wing? Hence "f-duct"? I think all that driving one-handed is just smoke and mirrors from McLaren. Even Virgin Racing could implement this...

No. Don't be so silly.

It's called an "F-Duct" because the duct is through the F on the vodafone sticker on the nose of the car.

Head: Alonso

Gut: Alonso

Heart: Not relevant. I don't hope for any particular driver to win. My 'heart' is with the one who wins. I've followed that driver all season, saw the ups and downs and am pleased to see a champion. Every champion is worthy and every champion gets my 'heart'.

Yes I noticed that too. It's interesting. Maybe we're imagining it but if not, it could mean lots of things. Perhaps the blown diffuser makes the car less stable and hence less suited to Jenson's smooth style. Or maybe Lewis sets up a car faster than Jenson, and has found a better set up so far - or conversely perhaps it takes him longer to find the right set up and he's only just managed it.

From what I can gather, because of the extra rear downforce generated, it created quite substantial balance changes that needed to be rectified, which is one of the reasons it wasn't run at Silverstone. I can only guess that the eventual balance changes needed to make it work properly took the car in a direction that was better for Lewis than Jenson.

Heart: Not relevant. I don't hope for any particular driver to win. My 'heart' is with the one who wins. I've followed that driver all season, saw the ups and downs and am pleased to see a champion. Every champion is worthy and every champion gets my 'heart'.

Awwwwww...you old romantic, you

Heart: Webber

Alonso and Ferrari are resurgent, and 11 points is nothing (only 4.4 points under the old system). Also, Alonso is not in competition with his team mate. Red Bull are in no hurry to pick one driver over another. Especially while Vettel trails Webber. I think the main contenders for the title are Alonso, Webber, and Vettel. I think Hamilton is an outside chance. Button is still in the frame, but I think the reality is that McLaren have lost the edge, and Hamilton has the edge over Button.

Gut: Hamilton

Heart: Button

EDIT: Btw, brain cells exist in the gut (http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/159914.php), so underestimate gut feelings at your peril. Indeed, there is evidence that crude versions exist in the rectum (http://www.totalf1.com/forums/topic/11510-i-guess-thats-finally-it-then-kimi-gone-for-good/page__st__270) :lol: