Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KoolMonkey

Blue Flags... Keep Them Or Get Rid Of Them?

So both Lotus and Virgin want to see blue flags removed from races. I actually wouldn't mind a trial of this to see how things go. It's farcical sometimes seeing a backmarker slow down considerably to let someone past. It means they go further and further behind, and they already have a slow car.

The only negative I can see would be team orders, and a second car intentionally blocking another. Actually that doesn't sound like such a bad thing to see from a spectators view.

What about you guys, keep them or ditch them?

Keep them. They'd just create a load more accidents similar to Webber's at Valencia if they got rid of them. Virgin and Lotus should just accept the fact that they are slow and get on with building a quicker car for next year.

They're not in contention for victories, podiums or even points currently. What's the point in fighting to keep a quicker, championship challenging car behind them for no good reason? Not only would they be at risk of ruining somebody's championship, but also damaging their car and losing mileage that even now they desperately need.

The blue flag should stay. The new teams seam to forget the the established teams are doing them a favor by letting them race with them while they're 4sec slower(107% anyone?). They should show respect to the established teams and not disrupt the WC while they are getting up to speed on how to make a proper F1 car. And lets be honest here, if one of those teams ever becomes a top team and their championship campaign is ruined by an extremely slow car driven by a rookie, they will be foaming at the mouth. So I say: Shut up, move out of the way when the big boys are behind you and be happy with the fact that your in F1

It is annoying when a well established team, like Ferrari, try to dictate the rules of F1. When a team that has been around for a very short time tries to do it, it is just ridiculous. Blue flags are there for a good reason and to be honest, I care more about the battle at the front not being ruined by a backmarker than I do about said backmarkers losing time letting them through.

Don't like blue flags? Work more efficiently, get more sponsorship, build faster car, etc or leave the sport.

Honestly, look at who is asking to have the flags removed and consider if they're doing that for the betterment of the sport or for some other reason that has to do with their incompetence. Why they'd even consider such a stupid suggestion is beyond me. Next Virgin will be asking for last place to pay 30 points and £100,000,000 to improve the show.

It is annoying when a well established team, like Ferrari, try to dictate the rules of F1. When a team that has been around for a very short time tries to do it, it is just ridiculous. Blue flags are there for a good reason and to be honest, I care more about the battle at the front not being ruined by a backmarker than I do about said backmarkers losing time letting them through.

Don't like blue flags? Work more efficiently, get more sponsorship, build faster car, etc or leave the sport.

I can't say it any better than this.

Personally, I think...they should...maybe if...on the other hand...

Bah, who gives a Sh#t what Fernandes and Branson want?

I want Cameron Diaz!

Lotus and Virgin should focus on not getting lapped.

A lapped car should be forced to retire as they have no chance of winning.

Keep them.

What George said.

I say, revert the rule back to the original...that is, a blue flag means that there is a faster car coming up behind you. End of story. Not, slow down within 3 flag marshall posts to let said faster car past.

There are rules for blocking, so a slower car can not just go and block everyone, so that is actually a non-issue.

A1 GP never used the F1 blue flag rule, and I can't recall ever seeing one in IRL either (road or oval).

No motorsport in NZ uses the blue flag to tell you to allow the guy behind to past - it is merely a warning for you to look in your mirrors...just like a white flag is waved to a fast car telling them there is a slower car just ahead of them.

All this get out of the way malarky makes the racing suffer, as in the past BEFORE they had the move-off-line rule, it was quiet often the second of two faster cars that benefited most in that they got past the guy they had been hounding for several laps by USING the slower car. This skill has evaporated from F1, due to the likes of Macca, 4RE,and RBR (nowadays) getting a free pass.

It's not about saying to a slower team to get faster, it's about bringing some skill back to the sport. And if some of you can't see that, then maybe you are not fans of the sport...just fans of a driver or a team, to wit most likely the current blue flag helps.

Ditch'em. This is racing. If Ferrari and Red Bull is annoyed because somebody slower is trying to race'em, too bad. If they want anybody slower to get out of the way, why not get rid of turns? Turns slow down the fast cars too. For that matter, if FerrariRedBullMcLaren don't like slower cars, why don't they start their own GP series? You know- only the richest and fastest allowed.

My point is this is RACING. If a Ferrari cannot pass a 4 seconds slower Virgin, then they need to hire Kubica to see how this is done. If you race, you need top pass and it should not matter if you are passing slow or slower cars. Passing is passing. And if the "fastest" car on the track has trouble passing the "slowest," then rather then having the slower one get off the track so that the "fast-one" is not inconvenienced, maybe the "fastest" guy needs to get a bit faster.

I mean I keep reading how there is no passing in F1, and now the same people want to eliminate whatever passing there is. That's just nuts.

In other words, I'm with Handy's idea - blue flags should be a warning ONLY, not a requirement to move over.

Lotus and Virgin should focus on not getting lapped.

A lapped car should be forced to retire as they have no chance of winning.

Actually, that's an interesting idea.

I'd have a lot more respect for Todt if he came out and said "fine, we'll get rid of the blue flags...and replace them with black ones."

Actually, that's an interesting idea.

I'd have a lot more respect for Todt if he came out and said "fine, we'll get rid of the blue flags...and replace them with black ones."

lol

It has happened in the past, that a lapped car has made it back on to the lead lap....case in point, one Eddie Irvine overtaking Senna to get back on the lead lap.

So what if they are lapped. The guy in the lead could break down the very next lap, and then you would have made someone stop for no reason.

Dumb idea, whomever mooted that one.

I think Webber's crash this year was a direct result of a slower car having a blue flag waved at it, and then slowing down considerably to let a vastly faster car pass.

I agree with some of you guys here, if you have a car that is 4secs a lap faster, then use it and pass a car. I like the idea of a blue flag going back to simply being a warning, or a heads up, but not a be all in that you have to yield within a certain amount of time.

Webber would never have crashed had he simply passed Kovi. So in that aspect, the blue flag rather than help things, was part of causing an accident.

F1 is so much a nanny state now. We'll never see the likes of an driver unlapping themselves. I understand it's hard to pass on some F1 circuits, but often it's with evenly matched cars. A car with a 4sec advantage not being able to pass means the drivers in the wrong sport.

Keep them BUT change qualy rules to eliminate anyone over 105% of pole time

105%? Sauber and Toro Rosso wouldn't make it in then...

So what?

What is the point of having on the same track cars that differ so much in performance? What show does that improve?

We could as well have some Fiat 126s racing at the same time.

If you took away the blue flags then you would seriously wreck the championships of the faster teams. Look at what happened in Singapore.....the idiot HRT driver (dunno who it was), held up Webber allowing Hamilton to make a move. It ended up in tears for Hamilton fans and almost ruined Webber's bid for WDC. If that HRT hadn't been in the way, Hamilton wouldn't even have gotten a look in. I am no Hamilton fan but he rightfully should have been 2nd in the WDC rankings. If Webber's race had been ruined, I would have made it my goal in life to have that driver banned from ever driving in F1.

Turn back the clock to Canada....it should have been Alonso on the top step. However the crappy Lotus car's got in the way, allowing the McLaren's to overtake Alonso (TWICE! Hamilton and then Button). I am an Alonso fan and that REALLY REALLY p*ssed me off!!!!!

If you take away the blue flags you give no motivation for those crappy teams to improve. It's like telling someone who is doing a god-aweful job to "keep up the good work."

My message to the slow teams: "If you can't keep up, then F**K OFF!"

I think Webber's crash this year was a direct result of a slower car having a blue flag waved at it, and then slowing down considerably to let a vastly faster car pass.

I agree with some of you guys here, if you have a car that is 4secs a lap faster, then use it and pass a car. I like the idea of a blue flag going back to simply being a warning, or a heads up, but not a be all in that you have to yield within a certain amount of time.

Webber would never have crashed had he simply passed Kovi. So in that aspect, the blue flag rather than help things, was part of causing an accident.

wasnt that for position?

Spontaneous combustion is the only answer.

Every 3 laps the last driver goes up in a big WOOF!!! (bigger than an Alsatian anyway), this will eradicate the need for blue flags and will free up the driver market, allowing exciting new pay drivers into our beloved sport.

Bernard Ecclescake will have the specatacle he has sought after for so long, though won't be meddling with the medals idea due to severe meltage most drivers will go through during their short, but illustrious career. Of course, the overtaking fanboize crave for will be amundant, cars positively falling over themselves to be at the front - as proven in the demonstration run that Webster and Fingerboy kindly put on for us in Turkey.

I agree with George, whatever he said :P

If you took away the blue flags then you would seriously wreck the championships of the faster teams. Look at what happened in Singapore.....the idiot HRT driver (dunno who it was), held up Webber allowing Hamilton to make a move. It ended up in tears for Hamilton fans and almost ruined Webber's bid for WDC. If that HRT hadn't been in the way, Hamilton wouldn't even have gotten a look in. I am no Hamilton fan but he rightfully should have been 2nd in the WDC rankings. If Webber's race had been ruined, I would have made it my goal in life to have that driver banned from ever driving in F1.

Turn back the clock to Canada....it should have been Alonso on the top step. However the crappy Lotus car's got in the way, allowing the McLaren's to overtake Alonso (TWICE! Hamilton and then Button). I am an Alonso fan and that REALLY REALLY p*ssed me off!!!!!

If you take away the blue flags you give no motivation for those crappy teams to improve. It's like telling someone who is doing a god-aweful job to "keep up the good work."

My message to the slow teams: "If you can't keep up, then F**K OFF!"

Haha entertaining post, and I agree with you

Blue flags are an essential part of the sport, and should not be removed. Backmarkers should not be allowed to hold up faster runners when they are being lapped. The onus should be on Lotus and Virgin to build faster cars if they don't want to get lapped.