Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Korean Gp

I thought we might as well start this now seeing as practice is on tomorrow.

The drivers seem impressed and Tilke predicts a 'spectacular' race. No pressure for Korea to deliver a good race then?

What's more, rain is expected on Sunday.

It could (touch wood) be a good race. Who's your money on?

Rain or not, the track surface is very slippery. There's also a 4 cm drop from the asphalt to the run-off area, so an off could be quite bad at the track compared to others. The track's surroundings give it a Bahrain feel, but the track itself seems nice, and that's what counts. It could be interesting if the surface gives drivers a hard time, and if it rains, even better.

I had a feeling it would be a Webber kind of race, but something tells me it may be Hamilton. Or Vettel, too, perhaps. Maybe Button in the right conditions. Not Alonso, never.

yup. It may be a good race. If thr Renault mechanics manage to propoerly attach Kubica's wheels, and Petrov makes it across the start line...

Interesting...

Dust snakes and nails on Koreas new track

Oct.22 (GMM) There were no signs of the newly-laid track surface breaking up as the formula one cars christened the Yeongam venue on Friday morning. But the circuit was as slippery as most paddock observers have ever seen, with drivers' tyres white with dust in the pitlane, and reporters coughing amid the haze. Eyebrows were also raised when at least two snakes were photographed slithering across the layout on Thursday, and Sebastian Vettel expressed concern after finding a huge rusty nail as the walked the circuit. "If you drive over that, you have a puncture," the Red Bull driver told Bild newspaper

Interesting...

Dust snakes and nails on Koreas new track

Oct.22 (GMM) There were no signs of the newly-laid track surface breaking up as the formula one cars christened the Yeongam venue on Friday morning. But the circuit was as slippery as most paddock observers have ever seen, with drivers' tyres white with dust in the pitlane, and reporters coughing amid the haze. Eyebrows were also raised when at least two snakes were photographed slithering across the layout on Thursday, and Sebastian Vettel expressed concern after finding a huge rusty nail as the walked the circuit. "If you drive over that, you have a puncture," the Red Bull driver told Bild newspaper

No, you get tetanus from a rusty nail, you nutter :P

Track layout looks good. Me likeys.

Heres hoping for some good racing...I think the off camber corners and blind corners are going to aid in some overtakes :)

Mixed up P1 and P2 results - good.

Webber 1st in P2 - could he see off the competition this weekend?

Let's hope not.

God almighty please no.

He would become the most average driver ever to win the WDC on the back of the rest of the field tripping over each other in an ongoing attempt to demonstrate what a bunch of taleneted ****wits they are and gift it to the Aussie with the nauseating nice guy persona.

What an utter anticlimax to such a great championship that would be. I have to keep hope that one of the other 4, far more gifted drivers will pull something out of the bag. Pleeeeease.

Don't get me wrong - he's a lovely chap, I just really don't think he should be WDC.

I do believe F1 is littered with such champions, and none are seen in any less light than the others. It wouldn't be an anti climax, as we'd have a whole new WDC, not a boring old repeat offender. And I wouldn't call him average...he's just been in average cars, has out driven Vettel when it's counted, has kept his head down and bum up. And two years ago you would have said Button was average too.

I like the look of the new track, looks like it's quite challenging for the drivers in places, espacially with the low grip currently. I don't think Webber's the favourite, it seemed to be pot-luck whether you got a good lap together or not today.

I do believe F1 is littered with such champions, and none are seen in any less light than the others. It wouldn't be an anti climax, as we'd have a whole new WDC, not a boring old repeat offender. And I wouldn't call him average...he's just been in average cars, has out driven Vettel when it's counted, has kept his head down and bum up. And two years ago you would have said Button was average too.

Right, and if you really consider him average then the "geniuses" are not worth it and that's that. Average or not, he will have earned it. Plus, the year Hamilton won was worse, from memory xD

Am I the only one who doesn't want Webber to win because he's a d#ckwad, and not because he's "average" or whatever? I feel like everyone feels like he's this great, nice, straight-shooting guy when it seems to me he's a Negative Nancy who lets everything bother him more than it should. He's as high-maintenance as the rest of them...

Anyway, if this one wasn't on at 3 AM or whenever, I'd probably watch. I have a feeling it will be pretty good.

Correct, F1 is littered with such champions but you are wrong - They are seen in less light than the real winners. Everyone knows who the special drivers were/are and who were the guys who lucked out one season. Everyone knows that Button is no Fangio, J. Villneuve was no Senna and Hulme was no Stewart.

And Button is average. (Sorry Buttonites.) He got a massive car advantage in which to build his (pretty much) unassailable lead during the first half of last year. He has his positives - a willingness to try a different strategy, a calmness and smooth driving style and sense of humor. He is an average driver though. Webber is even more average - he doesn't even posses those positive traits that Button has.

Right, and if you really consider him average then the "geniuses" are not worth it and that's that. Average or not, he will have earned it. Plus, the year Hamilton won was worse, from memory xD

Agreed - This year the best out and out racers have continuously ****ed themselves over and have no one to blame but themselves. Hamilton and Vettel have let their impatience ruin their own chances. Alonso's season has been compromised by a poor first half of the season thanks to Ferrari not being where they should be.

I disagree that Webber will have earned it though. He just got lucky that all the other drivers/teams screwed up in the same season. That is all.

And yes - Hamilton's WDC was also poor because all the good drivers had inferior cars and he still almost lost it to Massa. If your closest competitor is Massa, you know something went wrong with the season from the start. Saying that, to be fair, he was probably the best driver that season. But that doesn't make him any kind of Senna.

Am I the only one who doesn't want Webber to win because he's a d#ckwad, and not because he's "average" or whatever? I feel like everyone feels like he's this great, nice, straight-shooting guy when it seems to me he's a Negative Nancy who lets everything bother him more than it should. He's as high-maintenance as the rest of them...

I find the man's niceness incredibly nauseating, but then again there are far worse characters on the grid.

Problems.

http://uk.eurosport....n-brothels.html

Bernie's certainly not wrong for wanting all tracks near cities. Yeongam's in the middle of nowhere with limited highway access.

Could be worse.

Anyway - here's praying for a Webber DNF. If he takes the WDC then fair enough, but lets have a couple more races before he does.

EDIT...

There are champions who take the season by the scruff of the neck and go out an win it by dominating their oponents and not giving anyone else a chance.

Then there are champions who luck out. They don't "win" the WDC, everyone else looses it.

It's been a terrific season, but Webber will fall into the later category if he takes the crown. Sorry - that's just the way it is.

Correct, F1 is littered with such champions but you are wrong - They are seen in less light than the real winners. Everyone knows who the special drivers were/are and who were the guys who lucked out one season. Everyone knows that Button is no Fangio, J. Villneuve was no Senna and Hulme was no Stewart.

And Button is average. (Sorry Buttonites.) He got a massive car advantage in which to build his (pretty much) unassailable lead during the first half of last year. He has his positives - a willingness to try a different strategy, a calmness and smooth driving style and sense of humor. He is an average driver though. Webber is even more average - he doesn't even posses those positive traits that Button has.

Agreed - This year the best out and out racers have continuously ****ed themselves over and have no one to blame but themselves. Hamilton and Vettel have let their impatience ruin their own chances. Alonso's season has been compromised by a poor first half of the season thanks to Ferrari not being where they should be.

I disagree that Webber will have earned it though. He just got lucky that all the other drivers/teams screwed up in the same season. That is all.

And yes - Hamilton's WDC was also poor because all the good drivers had inferior cars and he still almost lost it to Massa. If your closest competitor is Massa, you know something went wrong with the season from the start. Saying that, to be fair, he was probably the best driver that season. But that doesn't make him any kind of Senna.

I find the man's niceness incredibly nauseating, but then again there are far worse characters on the grid.

Could be worse.

Anyway - here's praying for a Webber DNF. If he takes the WDC then fair enough, but lets have a couple more races before he does.

EDIT...

There are champions who take the season by the scruff of the neck and go out an win it by dominating their oponents and not giving anyone else a chance.

Then there are champions who luck out. They don't "win" the WDC, everyone else looses it.

It's been a terrific season, but Webber will fall into the later category if he takes the crown. Sorry - that's just the way it is.

Webber's driving doesn't impress me, but there he is every week. I just don't get it. Button impressed me in 2006 and again in 2009, and I'm by no means saying Webber doesn't deserve a title if he gets one, but I just can't imagine how many weeks ago a top driver would have locked it up had he had the RB6.

Hamilton worries me because each season has been worse than the one before it. I guess you could say 2009 was worse than 2010, but I'll take out-of-the-points due to car suckage over out-of-the-points due to retirements, personally. He was fifth last year, fourth so far this one...not much of a difference. He had four retirements 2007-2009; he's had three in 2010 alone. He's the best driver on the grid, but I don't feel like anyone on the grid is very convincing at being the best.

The problem with that statement is that Webber isn't nice. Most of his interviews he comes across as a smug a##hole. He does the whole fake "real, gritty racer's racer" s*** and then whines about everything. At least some of the whiners don't pretend they're anything different...;)

I think I'd rather spend a night in a Walmart than spend a night in a Korean brothel. Maybe they'll do that in Austin, and have the race in the parking lot the next morning.

I don't want him to retire; it's sweeter if he loses because he just puts in an old school Webber P8 while Hamilton brings home a stellar P1, lapping Webber thrice in the process. But I guess I'll take a DNF if I must.

Agreed wholeheartedly. People put too much weight in the "World" Driving Champion title and the "pinnacle of motorsport" and all that poo. It's a sport. Sometimes you get flukes. So be it. It really makes no difference to me; I'm not disappointed when someone inherits a title, but I'm not impressed. I, being ignorant, biased, immodest, obese, and all sorts of other things, just want cheap, low-IQ entertainment, fried in cheese and slathered in animal fat. If they don't do it in second-rate hockey arenas, it's worth my time (so that means minor league hockey, lacrosse, monster trucks, three-quarter midget racing, those bikes on dirt, junior prom, college graduations, Dancing with the Stars, and Disney on Ice are the only things worth my time. Which sounds appropriate to me). Until Fernando drives up a ramp and jumps a line of Geo Prizms while fireworks go off, and until Martin and Christian drop the gloves and fight, and until someone in a bear suit does a bad gymnastics routine, and until the Grand Old Champion is declared by an all-American fan vote (the drivers campaign, of course, by firing t-shirts into the crowd with those t-shirt guns), I just can't get into F1, whether a true champion (Barrichello) or a fake one (Webber) is winning.

So what you're saying is that because Webber has scored more consistently than the others, overcame in-team favouritism, and other so called "greats/stars/genius'/insert other adjective here" haven't kept their cars on this island (to finish first, first you must finish, and all that), or let other circumstances get the better of them, then Webber is average and would not be a worthy world champ?

I'll paraphrase that all into one word for ya......

HUH?

And Erica, whilst I value your contributions, you are a self confessed non-watcher and non-follower of F1, so you might want to get off the hobby horse with regards to Webber being a whinger/prima dona/insert other adjective you've used recently.

I think BECAUSE he isn't a standout "star" that his world championship (if he does go on to claim it) will have been all the more well deserved, well fought for, and well raced for. He has made strategies that have gone against the rest work for him, he came back last year from a drive through to win a race, he mastered Monaco, and he has one hell of a quick team mate who has been taking points off him just as regularly as the other drivers, yet, he is still (currently) on top of the points table. If he wins, he will win it in a year that has had more races than almost any other season, and more than what Button, Alonso, or Hamilton had to compete in to get their titles. He has had to master driving with heavy tanks, with one hand on the wheel, and also how to do a backflip, all on the way to where he is.

If Alonso sneaks up and takes the title (unlikely I feel), it's because his team long ago decided to put their eggs in his basket...not that Massa having a hole in his one has helped his cause....but Webber is having to hold off Vettel right to the finish line of the last race. And if he does that, then just for that, he has earned his championship.

God almighty please no.

Ummmm...coming from you?????? I'd have more respect if you said "holey underpants please no"....or have you seen a light? If so, it may be my daughters new torch...it goes everywhere with her, and lights up everything :P

Agreed wholeheartedly. People put too much weight in the "World" Driving Champion title and the "pinnacle of motorsport" and all that poo. It's a sport. Sometimes you get flukes. So be it. It really makes no difference to me; I'm not disappointed when someone inherits a title, but I'm not impressed. I, being ignorant, biased, immodest, obese, and all sorts of other things, just want cheap, low-IQ entertainment, fried in cheese and slathered in animal fat. If they don't do it in second-rate hockey arenas, it's worth my time (so that means minor league hockey, lacrosse, monster trucks, three-quarter midget racing, those bikes on dirt, junior prom, college graduations, Dancing with the Stars, and Disney on Ice are the only things worth my time. Which sounds appropriate to me). Until Fernando drives up a ramp and jumps a line of Geo Prizms while fireworks go off, and until Martin and Christian drop the gloves and fight, and until someone in a bear suit does a bad gymnastics routine, and until the Grand Old Champion is declared by an all-American fan vote (the drivers campaign, of course, by firing t-shirts into the crowd with those t-shirt guns), I just can't get into F1, whether a true champion (Barrichello) or a fake one (Webber) is winning.

Cough World Champions of Baseball Cough Cough World Champions of Basketball Cough World Champions of American Football Cough Cough Cough....is this kettle black in here, or is it the pot? :P

I'm with you there...

Craig - I always respect your willingness to fight your corner.

The 'Please God' bit was ironic (i.e. I don't see my prayers being answered, so I might as well address them to the big fiction in the sky ;))

But coming back to Webber's averagness..... He's average. He hasn't set the world alight. He hasn't driven the wheels off the Redbull. He hasn't pulled off any amazing overtakes all year (or even ever). He hasn't used a dominent car to finish the rest of the pack off after half a season. He hasn't really done anything to make me in the leat bit excited about him this season. He has actually been the least exciting protagonist in a very exciting season. He has played the roll of the dull extra in the corner of the room while the main actors have been giving their all to entertain and excite.

I do believe F1 is littered with such champions, and none are seen in any less light than the others.

That's simply not true and we all know it - otherwise you'd argue that Hill (Damon) should be seen in the same light as Clark.

Webber will not be seen in the same light as other great WDC's such as Fangio, Senna etc.

He'll be a "lucky" WDC rather than a "deserving" one (just my opinion).

And yes - he just took P2 in qually - thus demonstrating that even at the end of the season he'll loose out to his team mate and still win the WDC. What a trully uninspiring man.

(Keep in mind that I write half of this just to wind you up) :P

Is it just me, or have'nt we just witnessed one of the finest qualifying performances of all time. What a pole by Vettel, my nerves are now cranking up for the race. I can't stand this Sh#t anymore!!!