Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Korean Gp

Is it just me, or have'nt we just witnessed one of the finest qualifying performances of all time. What a pole by Vettel, my nerves are now cranking up for the race. I can't stand this Sh#t anymore!!!

well flush it and get out of the loo.... :P

Interesting qualifying times, very close once again. I was wanting an Alonso pole, but he's on the clean side of the grid in 3rd, so let's wait and see....

Still chance of rain for tomorrow. Wet or dry this could be quite an exciting race.

1) Those are not brothels, as much as the news guys would have liked it to be, but more like motels.

2) Webber is rather average much to my chagrin, but still a nice guy and a worthy WDC, in the same sense that Button was. They had the opportunity (given by the car) and fought whatever inner demons, teammates, pressure from the media etc., plus made the mechanical means provided count. Sadly, that accounts for 100% of the WDCs (using any of those wouldbe the same as using "he knows how to drive a car, so he is a worthy WDC")so the things that really tell 'great' WDCs appart are other stuff and Mark, regretfully, has shown little of that. Like Adam said, there was no legendary drives from him. I really like the guy, and think he is one of the nicest personalities around but he hasn't shown any drives that we have saw from Lewis, Nando ro Schumi and even Vettel, as irrititating as I find him to be, has shown some more thrilling drives than Mark. Mark deserves the championship, no doubt, but he will join the legion of less brilliant WDCs. I am not diminishing his merits, of which he had plenty as stated, I just can't find the little extra that makes these guys go beyond history and step into the legends' lands.

3) As for whiney guys, it is another argument that is getting old, and even more annoying that whiney guys itselves (sorry, Eric). The first thing we say about a driver we don't like is that he whines. It was specially uses past years against Alonso, but only because these forums are mostly English speaking forums and they tend naturally to support drivers opposed to Nando. But if you read the comments after each race you will find that Lewis whines as much (although he always adds 'but I love the team' or something like tha) and Button has been specially whiney after each qualy session and most of the races. Yet, nobody used the whiney argument against them. I just pointed out their bemoanings (and I know I will get a lot of flack or the "quote each and every whining statement they made",as if soemone ever bothered to do the same with Alonso) but I don't blame them for that and would not use it against them, or against Vettel, another big whiner :P. I just don't see whining as such a negative trait. It might be annoying at times, but the guys are still great and the likes/dislikes on a driver should be based on anything more substantial or at least something they do not share with the whole of t he grid. I only grant the bemoaning award to Trulli, because he was usually funny at that. All the others complain a lot, and is natural. All football teams complain when they lose and some goes for every other sports discipline, as sportsmen aren't usually known for taking frustration easily without some complain and self justification to the media. That's the way it goes. Using "the guys complain too much" is equivalent to saying "the guy won the WDC, ergo, he is the best driver". Simplistic arguments.

I agree with you, Andrés, on all three points.

On the second, I meant that even if he hasn't been brilliant he would deserve his WDC because the others had more Epic Fail moments than brilliant ones, full stop. If anyone wants to argue that their boy was better than the (possible) WDC, they better make a strong case, because Webber hasn't been getting any favours. Me, I like good drives, so I'm all behind Kubica and Kobayashi. The day they have WDC-winning cars I will apply the same criteria. (In case anyone is wondering about Vettel falling from the list, he's not the golden boy at overtaking... when he was nice that wasn't bad, but whiney AND average overtaker/car crasher? Sooooorry XD Waiting for him to fix that.)

And about the third, I think Webber does whine, about as much as everyone else, but with less and more direct words, which wasn't the best strategy in the "See, not bad for a number 2" moment, but was what I would have said too (because I'm desperately blunt XD). I can't hold that against him, it would be hypocritical XD

Even as a Hamilton fan, I would like to see Webber take this year's title because he may never get a chance even if he stays next year, because Horner himself has admitted that they are building the team around Vettel. The fact that he was made to feel No.2 may have fueled his hunger for success...I like to cheer the guys who fight against all odds...

As the Priest of the Hamilton Church, I bless him to win the championship this season....(but to be honest I would be happier if Lewis wins)...:D

I don't mean to say Webber won't deserve it when he wins it. It just won't impress me or change my opinion of his driving: above average. Then again, I'm having trouble thinking any of the guys out there are above average; they all have different, but equally disappointing, flaws.

And Erica, whilst I value your contributions, you are a self confessed non-watcher and non-follower of F1, so you might want to get off the hobby horse with regards to Webber being a whinger/prima dona/insert other adjective you've used recently.

I've heard enough grid-walk interviews, read enough quotes, etc. in the four years I've been following F1 to have an opinion of Webber. Sure, I follow much more casually now, but that doesn't change things. He's no more annoying than the others, but unlike the others, takes no abuse for it, and gets away with his fake image as a "real racer." When Webber does it, he's a big man, telling it like it is. Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, whomever, it's being childish. That's why I repetitively call Webber out for it; no one else does.

Cough World Champions of Baseball Cough Cough World Champions of Basketball Cough World Champions of American Football Cough Cough Cough....is this kettle black in here, or is it the pot? :P

:lol: Oh, come on, I was 12. If you were dumb enough to go on the Internet when you were 12, you'd post regrettable content, too. :P

To be fair, I don't mind any of the terms (including F1's) when they're used as meaningless marketing phrases. When people take them to mean something, however, that annoys me. Too many people read into "pinnacle of motorsport" and "WDC" (same with a host of other sports' little phrases) to make it seem like the WDC is always the best driver in the world, and winning the WDC automatically makes one great, and that the WDC is the highest honor in motorsport. Any or all of those may be true, but reasons that have nothing to do with what they're called by the marketing people.

Anyway, Korea...

I agree with you, Andrés, on all three points.

On the second, I meant that even if he hasn't been brilliant he would deserve his WDC because the others had more Epic Fail moments than brilliant ones, full stop. If anyone wants to argue that their boy was better than the (possible) WDC, they better make a strong case, because Webber hasn't been getting any favours. Me, I like good drives, so I'm all behind Kubica and Kobayashi. The day they have WDC-winning cars I will apply the same criteria. (In case anyone is wondering about Vettel falling from the list, he's not the golden boy at overtaking... when he was nice that wasn't bad, but whiney AND average overtaker/car crasher? Sooooorry XD Waiting for him to fix that.)

And about the third, I think Webber does whine, about as much as everyone else, but with less and more direct words, which wasn't the best strategy in the "See, not bad for a number 2" moment, but was what I would have said too (because I'm desperately blunt XD). I can't hold that against him, it would be hypocritical XD

How is that whining?

Whining is...boo hoo my car is not fast enough boo hoo the track is too dusty boo hoo this wing sucks boo hoo i'm not being paid enough boo hoo he passed me boo hoo boo friggin hoo.

Yes, saying not bad for being a number two was blunt, but it was far from whinging...it was stating a fact and a calculated one at that telling Horner and anyone else who wanted to listen that he (Webber) was far from out of the championship and he was no less a driver than Vettel, whom was only proving how to crash cars up to that point, on his own, or when trying to overtake :P

Perhaps it's an antipodean saying, but to say "not bad for a (fill in the blank)" is very very common, and is always tongue in cheek, though directed to state a point. For instance, Eric might think of this post, not bad for a sheep shagger....so is he whinging? Or making a comical compliment? Or is he talking about himself, and it is indeed him that shags sheep?

It seems drivers can't win. If they don't speak their mind, they get criticised for being too worried what the sponsors will think. If they do speak their mind, they are "whiney". And if they don't speak at all, well, Kimi, you're just boring.

It seems drivers can't win. If they don't speak their mind, they get criticised for being too worried what the sponsors will think. If they do speak their mind, they are "whiney". And if they don't speak at all, well, Kimi, you're just boring.

Thats not what the Alonso was thinking

kimifernandovo4.jpg

I don't mean to say Webber won't deserve it when he wins it. It just won't impress me or change my opinion of his driving: above average. Then again, I'm having trouble thinking any of the guys out there are above average; they all have different, but equally disappointing, flaws.

I've heard enough grid-walk interviews, read enough quotes, etc. in the four years I've been following F1 to have an opinion of Webber. Sure, I follow much more casually now, but that doesn't change things. He's no more annoying than the others, but unlike the others, takes no abuse for it, and gets away with his fake image as a "real racer." When Webber does it, he's a big man, telling it like it is. Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, whomever, it's being childish. That's why I repetitively call Webber out for it; no one else does.

:lol:Oh, come on, I was 12. If you were dumb enough to go on the Internet when you were 12, you'd post regrettable content, too. :P

To be fair, I don't mind any of the terms (including F1's) when they're used as meaningless marketing phrases. When people take them to mean something, however, that annoys me. Too many people read into "pinnacle of motorsport" and "WDC" (same with a host of other sports' little phrases) to make it seem like the WDC is always the best driver in the world, and winning the WDC automatically makes one great, and that the WDC is the highest honor in motorsport. Any or all of those may be true, but reasons that have nothing to do with what they're called by the marketing people.

Anyway, Korea...

I wouldn't have been dumb...i'd be a frickin genius for inventing something called the internet in the first place.

Speaking your mind isn't whiny if you're polite, grateful of your position in the market, entertaining, etc, etc, etc. Basically, if I agree with what's on your mind, speak it. ;)

I just don't like when these guys never take the time to mention how appreciative they are, or how much fun they're having, or any thanks to their families (maybe they do in local publications during off-weeks, and I realize that stuff doesn't get reported, but if you aren't finding a way to include it in post-race interviews or whatever, it's not on your mind, so...). Maybe I'm just used to NASCAR, which is the polar opposite, where they really over-do the "I'm having the time of my life, this is such a fantastic sport, I'm so glad the Lord and my parents have helped me get here, and I pray every night I'll continue to enjoy this opportunity" line (and too much of that can be just as bad, as you question if it's real or not. Plus, I'd prefer if they kept the faith aspect private, but I can't be picky; it's been part of the sport since day one). In short, I want to see humans; emotion can be rational, but when they all have the same emotion about everything, whether that be over-positive or over-negative, that's just not human. It's either rehearsed or taking themselves and their jobs too seriously.

That said, they're entitled to say what they want. It just makes it hard for me to like any of them when they are either really fake about eveyrhting or totally oblivious to how easy they have it.

Thats not what the Alonso was thinking

kimifernandovo4.jpg

:lol:

If that was intentional, I might have to re-consider my not-so-positive opinions of Alonso and Räikkönen. That's genuinely funny.

Though I do have to wonder why you had such easy access to it. Your desktop wallpaper? ;)

I wouldn't have been dumb...i'd be a frickin genius for inventing something called the internet in the first place.

Inventing the Internet, uh? Not bad for a number two sheep shagger.

If that was intentional, I might have to re-consider my not-so-positive opinions of Alonso and Räikkönen. That's genuinely funny.

Though I do have to wonder why you had such easy access to it. Your desktop wallpaper? ;)

SO photoshopped XD (Either that or I suddenly became blind, so it must be photoshopped XD)

Speaking your mind isn't whiny if you're polite, grateful of your position in the market, entertaining, etc, etc, etc. Basically, if I agree with what's on your mind, speak it. ;)

I just don't like when these guys never take the time to mention how appreciative they are, or how much fun they're having, or any thanks to their families (maybe they do in local publications during off-weeks, and I realize that stuff doesn't get reported, but if you aren't finding a way to include it in post-race interviews or whatever, it's not on your mind, so...). Maybe I'm just used to NASCAR, which is the polar opposite, where they really over-do the "I'm having the time of my life, this is such a fantastic sport, I'm so glad the Lord and my parents have helped me get here, and I pray every night I'll continue to enjoy this opportunity" line (and too much of that can be just as bad, as you question if it's real or not. Plus, I'd prefer if they kept the faith aspect private, but I can't be picky; it's been part of the sport since day one). In short, I want to see humans; emotion can be rational, but when they all have the same emotion about everything, whether that be over-positive or over-negative, that's just not human. It's either rehearsed or taking themselves and their jobs too seriously.

That said, they're entitled to say what they want. It just makes it hard for me to like any of them when they are either really fake about eveyrhting or totally oblivious to how easy they have it.

Well, it will always pale to your achievements as the number one sheep shagger....

Can I just have a quick whine about Andres whining about whiney people who whine about whiney whiners please?

bugger it's wet

that's how it's supposed to be Craig - now toss aside that lube...

ooooh.

I'll get my coat.

they wouldn't want to can the race because of the rain....how ironic would that be? track delayed because of rain. race red flagged for the same reason

its the worst condition i ever drove a car, said Mr Alonso.....guess it never rains in spain....or is that just a saying?

For those of you who are always asking for rain, there's your rain :angry: a total mess and no rain, right now it's 2:25am and I am loosing sleep just to watch cars parked in the starting grid.

should watch the v8's then......buzzing good race :P

but i agree....praying for rain is not motorsport....

should watch the v8's then......buzzing good race :P

but i agree....praying for rain is not motorsport....

the bad side of this is that the clock is still running and the drivers are still out of the cars, I don't think we are going to get 55 laps of race today.