Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KoolMonkey

Very Enjoyable Season.

Great season, great end result. Well done Vettel. I can't wait for next year to begin with new rules, new cars, new tyres, Kers, moveable rear wings and hopefully more great action on the track.

And well done to Petrov whove I maintained all year was utter rubbish. I think that will have earned him a drive next year for sure. I'm a bit bothered by Alonso's actions towards Petrov after the race had ended. That was pretty poor form there. In Australia we got a very quick audio snipped from Webbers Dad and Webber after the race. Interesting neither of them even congratulated Vettel or the team for that matter. Next season is a very long way off, so if Webber doesn't toe the party line and accept he was beaten free from forced manipulations, he'll be either retired (not by his choice) or in another team.

Button disappointed me this year. It looked like he had the golden touch in the rain with his tyre choices and other smart moves, but as the season went on, those looked more like lucky isolated incidences.

Renault came good at the last race finally. They've been going backwards for awhile now, after shining in the early stages. Kubica seems half the driver he was compared with the first half of the season.

Someone please get Kobayashi into a faster car!

Schumi started to come good in the last few races. I'm surprised as anyone, as I've detested him ever since he raced against Senna. Now oddly, I find myself rooting for the old geeser.

Congratulations to Vettel and RBR. In the end the best driver won it.

All of it?

People say Bahrain was boring, but I found it quite interesting to be honest. Maybe that's just because I was glad something decent was back on TV to watch.

Simply from a personal point of view, my highlight was from the race I attended, the British Grand Prix, and only the second F1 race I've ever been to. Some may say that it perhaps wasn't the greatest race in terms of action, but the side show with the wing-gate, the way Webber reacted and then how that tension spilled over come the race was fascinating. The way Vettel was overtaking people left, right and centre after the safety car period was great too, fantastic atmosphere.

I really enjoyed Australia and China too. The changing conditions made those races thoroughly entertaining races.

Turkey was great too. The Red Bulls and McLarens running so close before THAT crash between the two Bulls and the way the McLarens nearly did the exact same thing just a couple of laps later.

In terms of the amount of overtaking, Canada was an absolute treat. Pirelli say they are modelling their tyres on the way the tyres performed at Canada, so if they get that to work, it'll be an absolutely brilliant '11.

Singapore was very interesting too, the way Alonso soaked up Vettel's pressure lap after lap. Kobayashi's drive in Japan was brilliant too, and he's surely one of the best overtakers (perhaps only behind Hamilton) on the grid. Red Bull's celebrations in Monaco and Brazil were just amazing to watch, a real sense of emotion in both occasions.

Abu Dhabi was great from a pure championship perspective too, a result that seemingly nobody predicted before the race.

As you can see, for me, picking a highlight really isn't easy.

To me, the general closeness of the title battle, and the constant drama was what made this a good season, there where not that many races that I felt went into the instant classic category. To me, the tyre regulations (narrower front tyres, and the regulation about starting on your qualifying tyres) killed a lot of the racing. Hopefully Pirelli will help deliver better on track action next season.

the season was overall very good..now we have five worldchampions (?) on the grid...but then, most of the action happened on the driver's points table....not on the track. As many guys here complained earlier, they should re introduce refueling. Which is just one of the ways to make it interesting. Lets hope for more action next season...

the season was overall very good..now we have five worldchampions (?) on the grid...but then, most of the action happened on the driver's points table....not on the track. As many guys here complained earlier, they should re introduce refueling. Which is just one of the ways to make it interesting. Lets hope for more action next season...

here here.

but still - a great season.

Definitely a classic season in my opinion, if not for the on track battles then for the closeness of the contenders (as JT said above). Still, some very good races too and even if Vettel is still learning he's a strong driver already, and worthy of being a champ.

How cool would have been to have JV and Kimi on the grid too. 7 WDCs would be epic. I'm at peace with JV not coming back, but still hope Kimi will surprise and be announced at X. And in my case X = RBR.

Enjoyable season, yes. Topsy turvy oucomes kept it interesting. How ironic that the last race was dull and that finally, the quickest package prevailed.

Drive of the year? Lewis, in the British rain deluge.

Funniest? Kobayashi in Suzuka.

Great season, great end result.

The results are more amusing than "great" and the season looked better than it was because the previous two were a joke.

Webber had the season more or less in control all along. Had RBR played "fair", the results would be other. However, fairness in RBR is forbidden for discussion at this point because the "hate-Alonso" crew are drunk with the latest roll of the dice. It's the same folly we've seen for years. The press tells the goons what can be speculated upon and what cannot, what is insight and what is conspiracy. It's amusing to see then back-flip on command.

The season itself came on the heels of two awful seasons, so it didn't need to provide much to be better. Folks forget quickly but during 2008, most of the six drivers with a shot at a podium didn't often finish the race and the title contenders hardly ever were in the same camera shot. The 2009 season was sold to BrawnGP by FIA and the competition ended after the first race and the day it was confirmed that FIA would take half a season to decide on the matter of Whiting's "go-ahead" to BrawnGP" and "no-go" to Renault/RBR. It killed the 2009 season and we all know it. The press told the goons both seasons were perfectly ok and the goons violently attacked anything and anyone that brought the evident contradiction up. So 2008 was called the best season in history and 2009 saw Brawn be nominated for sainthood. The reality was that, competition-wise, the previous two seasons were a joke.

So, come this season, most folks were in hibernation, bored to death, and expecting another scripted show. The activity in the forums demonstrated this. Ferrari had hired Alonso and this was a last straw for the goons. The press tried everything to stir hatred for Alonso to distract from the F-duck scandal. Again, FIA was trying to give a single team an advantage. It was not enough. And so, the team that have been fvcked in 2009, the team that actually had the car in 2009 and therefore in 2010, that is, RBR was utterly dominating and the press started to sell "hate-Vettel" campaing to a lethargic goon base.

And then, only a freak change of events in Korea putting Alonso on top and then an unexpected team strategy that had Alonso lose the WDC in Adu Dhabi had the litter of goons come in force into the forums to declare that they knew all along, that everything is transparent when they are told so, that everything is immoral when they are told so, and blah, blah, blah...

So, really, not much to write home about. Underneath the screams and violence of the goons, the top teams are becoming more and more compromised. All three no longer have two drivers and only Alonso has any reason to do well. The other two drivers can do as they please, team ordered. FIA continues to take arbitrary decisions and fixes races whenever they can. The level of competition remains very, very low, and only a look back at what F1 has become gives any perspective... few are willing to do so because, at this point, they are just falling into their step.

The future? At this point, really, the only concern is what Webber will do after what has been done to him... which the press has decided cannot be spoken about for it is "conspiracy talk". Amusingly, they have been doing precisely that kind of talk the entire season but, now, well, the old hatred for Alonso takes priority. So, fvck Webber. He's expendable. Two marks against him now. Webber is really going to have it tough.

And so, the rest of F1 will continue to be as much of a joke as it is now, only worse. The F1 audience has gradually become even more brutish and unsophisticated. Most are of the driver worship/hatred kind and only results that speak to their love/hate gets them to show up, to react, at all. The lack of critical analysis and the violence against those that try to do so simply serve to iron the way for more scripted show and less racing. FIA has never had easier to continue to do as they please...

Good on Vettel, good on RBR, but, tbh, the mess called F1 continues to be as ugly as hell.

I agree with 60% of your last paragraph. Have to confess I didn't read the rest.

I agree with 60% of your last paragraph. Have to confess I didn't read the rest.

But which 60%?

Here's my shot...

Good on Vettel, good on RBR, but, tbh, the mess called F1 continues to be as ugly as hell.

But which 60%?

Here's my shot...

I agree 100% with that.

How cool would have been to have JV and Kimi on the grid too. 7 WDCs would be epic. I'm at peace with JV not coming back, but still hope Kimi will surprise and be announced at X. And in my case X = RBR.

Nah,enough with 1 old glory :P

Yeah, I have to say that it's been the best season since I started watching f1... full of action,constant leader changes,and some thrilling races.I haven't followed off-track stuff this year,and I missed 3 or 4 races ( 2 of which Button won, which means they must have been exciting!) but I loved what i saw and hope that F1 follows this path.Although I do miss refuelling. But they will change the rules 8927426 times in 4 years,so i don't really care anymore as long as it's fun to watch.

It's the only healthy approach.

Maure, who are the goons? I could be a goon, I'm not sure.

I heard mention of something interesting on the Beeb -- Vettel never led in the points standings at any point during the season except after the final race. Is that correct? If so, it's pretty incredible that he managed to pull it out in the end, and that he stayed as the 'man to beat' all season.

Maure, who are the goons? I could be a goon, I'm not sure.

Yep, you could be. Time will tell.

Of course, being a goon is not a permanent "state" except in some rare cases. Most folks snap out of it eventually. Most.

Regarding the resident goons, you should be able to spot them no problem. Just read the posts.

I heard mention of something interesting on the Beeb -- Vettel never led in the points standings at any point during the season except after the final race.

You heard mentioned? Do you follow F1?

...it's pretty incredible that he managed to pull it out in the end, and that he stayed as the 'man to beat' all season.

It isn't incredible.

RBR eliminated Webber, his teammate and ahead of him in the WDC. That, RBR could do explicitly and they did. They sent Webber several places back (importantly, behind drivers RBR knew had pitted already) from where he could _never_ recover and challenge Vettel. Then Ferrari felt for the trick and send Alonso back too.

So, nope. Vettel didn't outrace the guys in front of him in the WDC (Webber and Alonso). These guys were sent back. The most accurate thing to say is that RBR and Ferrari lost the WDC for Webber and Alonso, respectively. Vettel was there to get the gift.

And, Vettel did win the race which was all he could do. It is true that without his favorite status at RBR, Webber would've won the WDC. However, Vettel did what Hamilton/McLaren tried in 07 and those goons lost. So, there is merit in it.

Yep, you could be. Time will tell.

Of course, being a goon is not a permanent "state" except in some rare cases. Most folks snap out of it eventually. Most.

Regarding the resident goons, you should be able to spot them no problem. Just read the posts.

you call my friends on here goons? I thought we had such a good relationship going with you...

you call my friends on here goons? I thought we had such a good relationship going with you...

Who's "we", you goof?

Who's "we", you goof?

"We" is a stablished group of members that decide whether you deserve being praised or abused based on what they call 'good behaviour'. They're maybe part of some school of psychology like behaviorism or conductism. It would explain something, maybe?

Edit: I changed my mind, I didn't like the font type so I changed it too.

Sorry - missed the subtitle first time around...

Drive of the year - Kobayashi in Japan - more of that please.

Driver of the year -

Kubica - averaged 6th place (discarding his 3 DNF's) throughout the season. Very fine performance in that renault. Massa and Rosberg beat him only through having better luck.

Vettel - he was the one of the leading drivers who held his nerve even when his car let him down a few times - to take pole and the race win on Sunday showed grit. To cry afterwards did not :P.

Half of that statement is correct. Just not sure which half.