Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

A1 Ring = Red Bull Ring?

FIA official Charlie Whiting has inspected the reconstructed A1-Ring and approved it for events up to Formula One standard.

That is the news of the Austrian newspaper Kleine Zeitung, reporting that the former venue of the Austrian Grand Prix has been renamed 'Red Bull Ring'.

The track in Zeltweg was demolished after its final F1 race in 2003 and was recently rebuilt by Dietrich Mateschitz's energy drinks company.

It is set to be reopened in mid 2011 and is slated to host a range of racing categories including DTM, F3 and Formula 2.

"Red Bull's world championships are the best advertisement for the race track in Spielberg," said the Kleine Zeitung report.

A major hurdle for the Red Bull Ring, however, is the circuit's noise quota, with an F1 race meaning few other events could be held to make the venue profitable.

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

I always liked this track. Wonder how much of the old circuit is in the new? And please please please please let the re-design not have been done by Tilke.....

It had the best turn one of all the tracks...such a great passing/t-bone corner if ever there was one. And team orders are legal there. Aren't they?

They own 2 footie teams, 2 racing teams & now they have a race track?? & here's me thinking bill gates or Steve jobs will be taking over the world tomorrow, I think not!

Anyone know how much Red Bull is sold in a year? I'm thinking at least the volume of the Pacific Ocean to afford so many toys in life...

(Seriously though, anyone know?)

Anyone know how much Red Bull is sold in a year? I'm thinking at least the volume of the Pacific Ocean to afford so many toys in life...

google may come handy.

It had the best turn one of all the tracks...such a great passing/t-bone corner if ever there was one. And team orders are legal there. Aren't they?

What I meant is that I much preferred the Osterreichring. And team orders just are. But more so.

Agreed Handy, I've driven F2000 round there, and the first turn might look easy but it's a real test, really hard to carry speed through for the long straight. Strange circuit, I think the drivers like it, but it does look naff to most spectators.

Keep the old kerbs. Flying F1 cars are always a good spectacle. The adjustable rear wing will help that.

I heard that they spend 2x10^9 dollars on marketing, annually.

26 rounds per season - 1 round every 2 weeks. No winter break, just some more southern hemisphere GPs. Nice.

I'd love to see the track return, though I only know it from those terrible EA Sports PS2 games where you just hold the X button and bounce off the other cars until you "steer" Alonso's gorgeous Minardi to ultimate victory and unlock a brand new song straight out of the Brookstone store. You have no idea what I'm talking about. Fair enough. I was more of an Animal Crossing and Sonic the Hedgehog kind of guy in my youth anyway.

They own 2 footie teams, 2 racing teams & now they have a race track?? & here's me thinking bill gates or Steve jobs will be taking over the world tomorrow, I think not!

They own more than two racing teams, son. ;)

To be honest, Red Bull have less money than you think. You don't need to have actual money to spend money. Likewise, having money doesn't mean you want to spend it. That said, the concept of selling a $0.02, 8.3 oz can of urine with trace amounts of cocaine for $4.00 is a lucrative one.

All you are drinking is Taurine. Bile from the lower abdomen of a bull.