Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monza gorilla

Blown Four Pots For 2013

Must agree with AP that sound is definitely important and is a great part of watching live.

As for engines, I can't say I know all that much about engine technology, although it seems the changes are more for political and commercial reasons rather than anything else. Anyway, as long as it sounds good and makes them go fast, it'll do for me.

Just seen this on Autosport too: http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/88639

I think you hit it here. For me it's all about the sound. It's an often forgotten piece of the racing puzzle. We all sit at home and watch the races listening more to the talking heads than the roar of those monsters. The sound of racing hooked me many years ago and it still thrills. Sitting on a bench feeling five F1 cars blast by, scaring you into your next life, is worth more than ten overtaking moments.

Put something manly in the back of these things and call it done.

+1 on the roar.

Electric engines will be freaky that way when they finally come around.

700-750hp is too little, if we survived with 900hp+ lumps a few years ago, we can do it now.

Added to that, it's made corners like eau rouge and 130R that used to be challenging easy, they can just be taken at full throttle with the v8s

Yeah, but you gotta throw torque into the equation too...it's not all horsepower....and then you gotta transmit it to the ground, and also how wide is the power band? If it's small, then the cars are much harder to drive fast consistently.

Yeah, but you gotta throw torque into the equation too...it's not all horsepower....and then you gotta transmit it to the ground, and also how wide is the power band? If it's small, then the cars are much harder to drive fast consistently.

Apparently the torque curves of the current engines are pretty poor, one of the reasons they are able to upshift on the exit of fast corners, and so on. I believe though that has more to do with the regulatory RPM limit than the fact they have been downsized though.

Hi Mike, nice to see you around...

It's not always that cube's = noise. You only have to feel the soul stirring that a Ducati twin gives you; and that's 800cc. It's all about how the gass are allowed to escape. Tradtionally, F1 cars have shoved out their gasses through some pretty straight through pipeworkery; I'm sure they'll sound just fine.

Yeah, whatever is chosen for the lump should roar. The particulars are not so important. If they all have the same basic lumps and bits, it will be the aero-efficiency which marks the top from the slop. Put whatever you want in there, just make it sound fierce.

My daily driver 20 years ago had a turbocharged 993cc 3 pot and it sounded fantastic. Do not fear. They'll still be noisy as hell.

FIA has released the specs...

4-cyl

1.6litre

max 12,000 rpm

can only have five engines in '13, four from '14 onwards

bravely, introducing use of biofuels.

Hm. I actually like the reduction in rpm. That should bring the sound note down a bit from it's current whine to a more acceptable roar. Tho as Steve-o points out, the exhaust will have some affect on it.

The turbo and supercharged Lancia Delta S4 sounded nice.

My favorite sound would the unrestricted V10s mixed with a supercharged AU/MB sound from the 30s.

That isn't overly surprising though, is it? Ground effect aero is obviously a lot more efficient than generation of aero with wings, and moreover, cars in those days had far more simple aero profiles, and far less aero parts in general.

...and were slowers than today cars, mostly in cornering speed.

700-750hp is too little, if we survived with 900hp+ lumps a few years ago, we can do it now.

900+ ?!

Most were in 930/ 950 to 1000 bracket for much of the 2005 season. But the aero was terribly draggy and the tires were not changeable so they had to back of .

I'm warming to the new formula, but wonder how much freedom of configuration there will be. V, flat or in line? Which is preferred, low c of g? Tight packaging? Long or short stroke? Or will everyone go for an in line engine out of choice? Brighter folk than I probably know the answers to all those things. Unfortunately, they don't post here.

I'm warming to the new formula, but wonder how much freedom of configuration there will be. V, flat or in line? Which is preferred, low c of g? Tight packaging? Long or short stroke? Or will everyone go for an in line engine out of choice? Brighter folk than I probably know the answers to all those things. Unfortunately, they don't post here.

I guess conventional wisdom would dictate an in line. A 'V' config is only better when packaging is an issue but inheritently creates a lumpier crank. A Boxer might be cool for the low centre of gravity you mention, but I'm led to believe that that this isn't so good for outright power, it's better for torque. I wish I knew what I was talking about and what was best.

Anyone invented a copter car, so I can fly over the idiots on my way home tonight? No? Fine, dinner at 11pm it is then.

Anyone invented a copter car, so I can fly over the idiots on my way home tonight? No? Fine, dinner at 11pm it is then.

After demonstrating how much cleverer than Russ you are, you let yourself down on the research front...

http://www.freepaten...om/5203520.html

post-2537-050086200 1292909865_thumb.jpe

post-2537-045433400 1292909855_thumb.jpe

Of course concept sketches, toys and patents are a long way from an actual working prototype, but I suspect they're only months away from a fully functioning marketable design. Especially that guy who's patented the idea!

...was that you Steve?

I always fancied a submerbike myself.

EDIT - off to freepatentsonline with my new money making sheme - patent an obvious idea then sue anyone who does all the hard work inventing it! Yay.

I guess conventional wisdom would dictate an in line. A 'V' config is only better when packaging is an issue but inheritently creates a lumpier crank. A Boxer might be cool for the low centre of gravity you mention, but I'm led to believe that that this isn't so good for outright power, it's better for torque. I wish I knew what I was talking about and what was best.

A Merry Xmas Steve. I can tell you that Mecachrome have been testing a 1.6 litre straight-4 lump which red lines at 12,000rpm. It's pretty much in line with FIA intentions and I'm pretty sure it is close to what we shall see. We will of course, also see a ground effect car that will have to burn a third less fuel that they do now. Bit of a pussy formula, if you ask memf_tongue.gif

...was that you Steve?

Afraid not. But the plastic blonde stood next to the copter van, is.

A Merry Xmas Steve. I can tell you that Mecachrome have been testing a 1.6 litre straight-4 lump which red lines at 12,000rpm. It's pretty much in line with FIA intentions and I'm pretty sure it is close to what we shall see. We will of course, also see a ground effect car that will have to burn a third less fuel that they do now. Bit of a pussy formula, if you ask memf_tongue.gif

Merry Christmas back at ya. Let's see about the pussies. I know where you'e coming from, but I think it'll be fine if the pussies roar.

Twas reading an article is Australian Motorsport (Nov edition) whilst waiting on a plane, and it was making a reference between the 1986 season and the 2010 season having many parallels in terms of the drivers in the running for the championship and the cars in the running for the constructors...BUT....also the author referred to the very large howl of the engines back then, which as I am sure most will know, were those little turbo units, eg the Porsche paid for by TAG. I am sure that the engines will howl in 2013.

Seems that itsy bitsy wings and shaped floors are also coming back, courtesy of Patrick and Rory. It'll be shoulder pads and big hair next. And Kajagoogoo.

Seems that itsy bitsy wings and shaped floors are also coming back, courtesy of Patrick and Rory. It'll be shoulder pads and big hair next. And Kajagoogoo.

I like the idea of big hair! Hold the Kajgoogoo though!