Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monza gorilla

Team Orders Ban Repealed

Alrighty then, just when I thought my return to modding would be a bore you have to go so off topic. Well now if you want to continue your immigration debate please go right ahead in THE CAFE!!!!!!!!!

Now to get back to the topic, team orders have been around in one form or another since Ben Hur, to deny it is putting your proverbial head in the sand.

Alrighty then, just when I thought my return to modding would be a bore you have to go  so off topic. Well now if you want to continue your immigration debate please  go right ahead in THE CAFE!!!!!!!!!

Now to get back to the topic, team orders have been around in one form or another since Ben Hur, to deny it is putting your proverbial head in the sand.

Good work - that's what we need.

EDIT - hang on pumpdoc - did you move those posts into a new topic in cafe or just delete them completely?

If the first - I can't find them.

If the second - shame - I had thought long and hard about those posts and we were having a very good debate.

Anywho - I think 90% of the members here agree about team orders being part of F1. Nothing more to say really. ;)

The second option looks likely. I also think it's a shame and had thought long and hard about my posts (though not Adam's). I didn't have the heart to point it out myself but I do agree that even wise and moderate moderating will always interfere with free speech.

Nah, Graham wants everything to be a spec series, I swear, he must've been educated in Sweden; the land where no-one 'fails' :P

Ooooh, I get it. So you're happy for your child to fail? :P

:eusa_think: Coincidence with this (off topic for now!)thread.....

This weekend my youngest was scratching his head about some homework for a debating session (no, we didn't do the mass debate joke...) when they get back to school in Jan. The questions were about how we (the kids) want to see the world develop, and for the side that 'wins' the debate, how they're then going to introduce their 'New World' to us all.

The 'pointers' they have been given for discussion are ideological (ask, and I shall give thee the list! Some questions's about people that don't work when they can, the super rich etc etc), so my son's question is... if people's ideology changes according to their circumstances (which he believes it does), no matter how strongly we feel about something, how do we know whether it's right to impose our views on others?

Why did I post this? So many of you with wonderful ways of making your points intelligently, even when I don't agree! I'll show him your answers ;) For what it's worth, I've fought damned hard not to give him my thoughts for the homework, I'll do that when it's done :P

Personally, I don't think it's right to ever impose your view on others. You can discuss your views and try to come to some mutual understanding that makes sense from both perspectives. That way each can learn from the other. :)

Imaginary enemies form high above the clouds. In the mountains of Burma.

Arrrrggggg! :runaway:

There we have it. The rule banning the use of team orders has been struck out. However. The rule regarding bringing the sport into disrepute still stands. On the one hand, hooray. On the other hand, I see things getting even more murky than at present.

What does the panel think?

Wax sage and plentiful.

Good news. I suspect the teams will understand how to utilize the lifting of the ban with the appropriate delicacy.

Alrighty then, just when I thought my return to modding would be a bore you have to go so off topic. Well now if you want to continue your immigration debate please go right ahead in THE CAFE!!!!!!!!!

Exactly, sir. ...although putting your head in the sand is still preferred to keeping it in some other, darker location. Take some politicians, for example...

The new rule makes sense. Let the teams organize their cars on-track if one driver is faster than another or would need to pass his teammate to make a strategy work better. I'm all for that. I am mostly against the vague rule about 'bringing the sport into disrepute' but I get why that rule is there and I think it can be correctly applied to team orders by preventing the teams from being 'too' blatant about orchestrating a race. I think most people can tell the difference between 'strategy' and 'orchestration'.

As usual it's framed in shades of grey. And who gets to decide what brings the sport into disrepute? That's rhetorical, of course.

Rhetorical question deserves a rhetorical answer. Since it's all just one big business, I would say the owners or F1 get to decide. After all, it's their 'product' that is being 'harmed', right? Puzzling that it's the FIA who decides it...

Bringing the sport into disrepute ?!

This after fascist/ nazi involvement, countless pay drivers, countless Grand Prix races organized in dictatorial, fascist, communist, apartheid countries ( while receiving money for it ), plus the constant backstabbing, eradication of non-constructor teams and of the 1 car constructors.

Bringing the sport into disrepute ?!

This after fascist/ nazi involvement, countless pay drivers, countless Grand Prix races organized in dictatorial, fascist, communist, apartheid countries ( while receiving money for it ), plus the constant backstabbing, eradication of non-constructor teams and of the 1 car constructors.

True, but that was before F1 was a business as it is today. The 'disrepute' clause in the rules is pretty commonplace in certain industries where you don't want your employees or contracted/hired employees destroying the public perception of their product.

As usual it's framed in shades of grey. And who gets to decide what brings the sport into disrepute? That's rhetorical, of course.

No one better qualified than the FIA, methinks. They're quite expert at it!

EDIT: Typo