Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

monza gorilla

Boing!! Time For Bed....

What do we make of the midnight curfew on mechanics, then? Go to this place for details.

They will still be allowed 4 all nighters per season(per car?)which may not be enough for Virgin, or Petrov's mechanics. Smash it up good on Friday FP2 and you may not make it into Q1. Harsh. But at least the team get some kip.

Is it good or is it bad or is it, as usual, a curate's egg?

Mechanics making the difference by working their arses off into the night is the very essence of team motor sport. Not a good idea, in my view.

It makes things easier on the mechanics which is good, but then again it is part of racing and is part of what the mechanics sign up for.

Seems like a bad decision to me, on balance. At least the teams are allowed some exceptions though.

:thbdn: FIA flippin nanny state, make as much sense as...............................well it doesn't make sense :thbdn:

I think Murray was right when he said to get rid of teams. :swoon:

:lol:

Somehow I don't think you're entirely serious!

And I think having a bedtime is a fair enough idea. I always felt a bit sorry for the mechanics and, for me, them working through the night doesn't add much to the sport.

And I think having a bedtime is a fair enough idea. I always felt a bit sorry for the mechanics and, for me, them working through the night doesn't add much to the sport.

But having all the cars on the grid for qualy does.

I don't think you were entirely serious when you said to get rid of teams, right? :lol:

I think they're mature enough to know what his bedtime should be. It sounds like syndicalism has arrive to F1, the pinnacle of capitalism.

But having all the cars on the grid for qualy does.

Indeed. A solution, of course, is to use the spare car which, oh, wait a minute.........

Ha! Yes we've lost quite a lot in the past few years...

Anyway, another factor here is that this rule change will yet again favor the larger teams with the infrastructure to field more mechanics using better tools. It used to be that working overnight was a good way for the smaller teams to stay in the game. They would need more time than the bigger fish to complete repairs. Now they're screwed. I'm curious if Graham still thinks mechanics working overnight doesn't add much to the sport....

Thanks to your posts I can see there are practical advantages for making them work through the night. I still don't think it's an integral part of the essence the sport, like fitness from the driver for example - without which the sport would lose its soul, for me. But yes, perhaps it does serve a purpose - in practice rather than in principle.

So, they lift the ban on team orders, which is in effect recognising the team's right to manage as they deem fit(with certain caveats, of course), but then restrict when members of that team are allowed to work. Seems slightly contradictory to me. Maybe it keeps the yin yang balance in order.

Ha! Yes we've lost quite a lot in the past few years...

Anyway, another factor here is that this rule change will yet again favor the larger teams with the infrastructure to field more mechanics using better tools. It used to be that working overnight was a good way for the smaller teams to stay in the game. They would need more time than the bigger fish to complete repairs. Now they're screwed. I'm curious if Graham still thinks mechanics working overnight doesn't add much to the sport....

Indeed.

I suspect there will be an influx of kitchen staff, cleaning staff, etc who just so happen to have mechanical backgrounds.......

Well we must wait till a race starts with 2 or 3 cars less because the team couldn´t finished its on time... and then the FIA will announce the "night ban" will be banned for next year!

Ok.

They need to sack the clown that comes up with these 'bright ideas'. These guys know what they're signing on for. They get compensated by a more than healthy bank balance for their work.

With great success comes great sacrifice.

It makes things easier on the mechanics which is good, but then again it is part of racing and is part of what the mechanics sign up for.

Seems like a bad decision to me, on balance. At least the teams are allowed some exceptions though.

Mersey paradise?