Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Mclaren Already On The Back Foot?

No maybe about it.

People also forget that Mercedes F1 is Honda F1 with less staff. Look how well that turned out.

Why do people say Merc is this big F1 icon, like Ferrari? Sure, they won a few things in the fifties, but since then have been AWOL....and somehow this "icon" status means they will have a good car?

Because that's exactly what they wanted us to believe right until the team proved they are Toyota.

Like I said, they chose to be Mercedes, they chose to be the Silver Arrows again, they appealed to history, they got Ross Brawn and Schumi. Marketing ppl earning millions for that.

And now they have to live to that marketing promise. I think they deserve to be punished if they don't cope with all that crap. It's their own lies, after all.

Because that's exactly what they wanted us to believe right until the team proved they are Toyota.

Like I said, they chose to be Mercedes, they chose to be the Silver Arrows again, they appealed to history, they got Ross Brawn and Schumi. Marketing ppl earning millions for that.

And now they have to live to that marketing promise. I think they deserve to be punished if they don't cope with all that crap. It's their own lies, after all.

R we talking marketing again?

Anyway, you're right this time hehe :naughty::D

It's so true it hurts. :thbup:

Will they try to sign Vettel and Newey if they fail in 2011 or leave like so many others?

No maybe about it.

People also forget that Mercedes F1 is Honda F1 with less staff. Look how well that turned out.

BAR/Honda has a good staff, but lacked a really good technical director. They were also plagued by managerial troubles and were constantly fighting with Honda over the shape of the car and engine. Those issues have been resolved. Brawn will overlook and organize the troops to produce a car whilst Honda's political machine are out of it. 'Course you have the Merc political machine, but those Germans tend to put their heads down and just work.

Yes, they did go downhill fast when Willis left, and recovered in 09 with Brawn, I grant you. Speaks volumes for a good tech director. Also seems to indicate that there isn't anyone within the organisation ready to step up to that role.

I agree. I wonder if Brawn is suffering from overwork? It looks like he's doing everything over there: Overseeing the car development, developing race strategy, and general managerial bullSh#te. At Ferrari he had more capable people handling the aero and engine departments so he could focus more on the overall technical direction of the team and the race weekend strategy.

Although I still maintain that Brawn simply made a bad call with last year's car. He didn't see where the competition were heading and he built a car that was difficult to adapt to a blown diffuser and F-Duct.