Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

The Tyres Have It

I've been listening to and reading what a lot of F1 pundits have been saying about next season and for me, it basically all comes down to how fast Pirelli get their act together once racing proper has commenced. Any new supplier, no matter how much pre-season data they generate themselves or get back from the teams would take four or five races to get right on the case. Some teams will get a fast start, some won't. It's going to be a bit of a lottery until we get into Europe, I feel. Of course, KERS and rear wings will take time to bed in again and the FIA will surely fine tune certain regs as the season unfolds. There certainly could be some surprises in store - that's for sure.

I've been listening to and reading what a lot of F1 pundits have been saying about next season and for me, it basically all comes down to how fast Pirelli get their act together once racing proper has commenced. Any new supplier, no matter how much pre-season data they generate themselves or get back from the teams would take four or five races to get right on the case. Some teams will get a fast start, some won't. It's going to be a bit of a lottery until we get into Europe, I feel. Of course, KERS and rear wings will take time to bed in again and the FIA will surely fine tune certain regs as the season unfolds. There certainly could be some surprises in store - that's for sure.

Not sure about tyres.

Pirelli announced two types of tyres, lets say one is usual kind and other is agressive. This agressive should suit schumi,alonso and driver with similar style of driving and they should last shorter.

This would mean more pit stops and different pit stop strategies.

But at first testing in abu dhabi most of the drivers said that they are not so different to bridgestones.

So i am not shure that pirelli can deliver something new, and that they will settle with first passable average result, that will satisfy all teams.

Hope i am wrong.

I hope you are right, Shaun. Thing is, I really don't see any reason why any team other than Red Bull, Ferrari or Mclaren are going to be the early and therefore the eventual pace setters.

Renault don't have the finance or the technical team and I would be amazed if Mercedes hit the ground running, just through talking uo their chances. Schumacher will not start dominating Rosberg if he gets a car to his liking; it will be to Rosberg's liking too and he's faster than Michael. A winter will not change that. As for the others, they will fumble with the new regs, as always.

Hopefully Pirelli stick to their word and develop tyres that help improve the show more. Good riddance Bridgestone is all I can say! :P

I'd rather see them stick to the tarmac and last no more than 20 laps or so.

They are probably not going to risk some sort of P.R. disaster (a la Indy '05). With that in mind, they will err on side of boring caution.

Tyres that will artificially disintegrate, wings and KERS to make it impossible to defend at overtaking and being controlled by race control (in the case of wings) so you get articial overtaking... thankfully i like more about drivers than about technology, because this year the championship whould be named the F1 2011 Muppet show.

Not sure about tyres.

Pirelli announced two types of tyres, lets say one is usual kind and other is agressive. This agressive should suit schumi,alonso and driver with similar style of driving and they should last shorter.

This would mean more pit stops and different pit stop strategies.

But at first testing in abu dhabi most of the drivers said that they are not so different to bridgestones.

So i am not shure that pirelli can deliver something new, and that they will settle with first passable average result, that will satisfy all teams.

Hope i am wrong.

I believe you are.

I'd rather see them stick to the tarmac and last no more than 20 laps or so.

Me too, Jenson would get 40 out of them at leastnaughty.gif

Tyres that will artificially disintegrate, wings and KERS to make it impossible to defend at overtaking and being controlled by race control (in the case of wings) so you get articial overtaking... thankfully i like more about drivers than about technology, because this year the championship whould be named the F1 2011 Muppet show.

There is a huge danger of that happening and I have heard that unusually, Charlie Whiting has had a fair bit to say to his FIA bosses about the rear wing scenario. I think it is a huge error to have race control manipulate any area of a race that involves the moving parts of a car in real time. FOTA should block it now.

Tyres that will artificially disintegrate... controlled by race control...

I think it's what they're looking for. Pirelli would provide some faulty sets of tyres and they would be assigned randomly by race control. It would really improve the show. :lol:

I think it's what they're looking for. Pirelli would provide some faulty sets of tyres and they would be assigned randomly by race control. It would really improve the show. :lol:

Wouldn't surprise me.

But seriously, if we have tires that won't disintegrate because the cars are pushing them to the limit, but because Pirelli made them on purpose to fail around lap 20, then you add KERS which will be useful only at some specific times and places, and ditto for the wings, with the added Whitting-controlled areas, you get a way too artificial show. We will see more overtaking and we will see more tire related issues, but they will go in detriment of reflecting the actual driver's skills, not to mention that nobody will understand what the fukc is going on.

But seriously, if we have tires that won't disintegrate because the cars are pushing them to the limit, but because Pirelli made them on purpose to fail around lap 20, then you add KERS which will be useful only at some specific times and places, and ditto for the wings, with the added Whitting-controlled areas, you get a way too artificial show. We will see more overtaking and we will see more tire related issues, but they will go in detriment of reflecting the actual driver's skills, not to mention that nobody will understand what the fukc is going on.

I agree with you it will be way too artificial and pointless to have some aero gadgets to improve overtaking, even more if it's not controlled by the driver. I never liked the F-duct but at least it was driver operated and was an ingenious system developed by a team. The movable wing will only be effective/safe on the straights where the driver will operate KERS pressing a button with another finger, the effects of both KERS plus a considerable downforce reduction will have a big impact on the top speed and could produce some dangerous situations. And then we have the new tyres... I'd like they last ideally 1/3 of a GP distance not by artificially making a less durable compund but by having more grip. As Dribbler said it's unlikely they produce an extreme design like that but they haven't as much data as Bridgestone about every specific track so they will likely have some sort of suprises during the season, they might bring either tyres too hard and durable for some tracks or too soft and fragile for others.

I am all for two-stoppers - makes for much more exciting races. Bring back re-fuelling too. It will suit the likes of Jenson who seems to be able to get a lot of miles out of very little rubber. Kobi too. Watch out!

I'm not a fan of re-fueling, it didn't add anything to the races. Tyres that degrade more though, yes please!

I'm nota fan of re-fueling, it didn't add anything to the races.

Well... I'm no "historian" of formula 1 for exact numbers and all but in the end I have souvenir of quite a few race results that were modified because of them either through strategy (Ferrari do have quite a few surprising and successfull calls during the german guy's years) or team error (who can forget the dutch guy in his flaming Benetton for modifying illegally the gas nozzles- I think the boss was an italian guy...). What it also did was make F1 become more of a team sport, like Indy, Nascar, Le Mans, etc as the work of the whole team became as critical as the driver's performance if you aim for victory. The negative of course was that the action would happen in the pits, not on the track. Fine if you consider F1 to be a cerebral sport, which it is if you look at it on the whole -engineering and new techs developped etc, but where I agree is that the visible part of f1, week ends, should only be mostly about on track racing.

As for the movable rear wing especialy the way the rules will work, I think I agree with most of you guys, its no good. But come to think of it, we might witness a few "tense moments" when someone protects from a pass by pushing his Kers button at the end of the straight. Also, a new driving technique will be invented to defend and I bet we will see much more of 1 line direction change half way through the straight and inside line braking to force the guy with the advantage to the outside and make it much harder for him. Potential danger which lets face it will add to our viewing pleasure... So lets wait and see.

Kers however does has some interest but also adds to a greener image of f1, and does F1 ever need that. Green is going to be more an more an issue in this world so we better get used to it. Lets face it, when they go testing tires in one of the hottest, driest places in the world and said tests happen during night and the track is watered -I'm sure even brits where humidity is generally known to be quite high have retrictions on watering their lawns in the summer as we do here in France- now what kind of an image does that give to the sport in this world of restriction? I understand why they do it that way, but the image that goes out of the "general" media doesn't explain all that.

So lets be happy there is still some racing going on... for now.

7.000 million people live on the planet, imagine they all live like we do now. Food, cars, energy, broadband, house, waste... Then think about 7.000 million people living like our heroes Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, etc. Imagine they all living an F1 way of life... Ban F1 straight away.

7.000 million people live on the planet, imagine they all live like we do now. Food, cars, energy, broadband, house, waste... Then think about 7.000 million people living like our heroes Alonso, Hamilton, Vettel, etc. Imagine they all living an F1 way of life... Ban F1 straight away.

What? :confused2:

Me too, Jenson would get 40 out of them at leastnaughty.gif

Damned right he would!

Damned right he would!

and he would get a Greenpeace award for saving the planet and everything.

burn those tyres Jense,thats the point.

is there a hope?

I hope they do what they say in that article. The should listen top drivers more than FOTA, FIA, FOM... Fu...!!!

I hope they do what they say in that article. The should listen top drivers more than FOTA, FIA, FOM... Fu...!!!

Even if it means duller races?