Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shields

F1 - The Pinnacle Of Motorsport But Regulated By Amateurs?

They cannot write clear rules, that we already knew...

Now I am deeply disappointed with the technical staff responsible for the movable front wing that now realized it should be the rear to move...

Isnt that obvious?

It seems to me pretty obvious for those that understand aerodynamics and read now and then about F1...

It may even seem obvious for a non-aero guy who follows f1... Is it? (I am curious...)

The driver adjustable front wing is now deleted from the rules and instead the rear wing is now driver adjustable. This is because the expected benefit of greater front wing angle never provided the driver with more grip when following another car. The front flap adjustment was much more a solution to tune the cars handling in between pitstops. The TWG found that the loss of drag from the rear wing was a more effective solution to allow the following to overtake. Now the rear wing flap can pivot near its rear most point and open the slot gap from 10-15mm to up to 50mm. Opening this gap unloads the flap and reduced both downforce and drag.

We thoroughly debated about the meaning of pinnacle of motorsport.

Regulated by amateurs?

I wish.

:lol:

I certainly agree it's not the same without my hero, Max Mosley.

Surely they've not changed the rules on the front/rear wings at this late stage though?

:lol:

I certainly agree it's not the same without my hero, Max Mosley.

Surely they've not changed the rules on the front/rear wings at this late stage though?

Nope, the plan to remove the adjustable front wing has always been there, once they penned the idea of the removable rear wing.

I personally agree about the rulemaking, some of the rules are horribly ambiguous

Not yet, but I don't think anyone really knows how things are going to pan out. The rules will be tweaked, I'm sure, as it becomes clear what the effect of the movable wing is under racing conditions. Rather than the one second rule on the first Tuesday after Michaelmas but only when there's an R in the month, my thoughts are just to let the drivers use it whenever they wish. If you stall your wing before the other guy you get an advantage. Analogous to the missed gears of old, in a way.

The FIA announced the rear diffuser is under observation cause suspect some teams will make bigger than normal holes o start the engine trying to reach some aero advantage. Why don´t they put an electric motor to start thre engine? It will weight the same as the ballast they´re using today and from the safety point of view is very important a driver can re-start the engine if he and his car are stalled in the middle of the track.

The FIA announced the rear diffuser is under observation cause suspect some teams will make bigger than normal holes o start the engine trying to reach some aero advantage. Why don´t they put an electric motor to start thre engine? It will weight the same as the ballast they´re using today and from the safety point of view is very important a driver can re-start the engine if he and his car are stalled in the middle of the track.

Three reasons for NOT doing that. 1.Far too simple. 2. It would stop argument between teams. 3. The FIA didn't think of it.

Not yet, but I don't think anyone really knows how things are going to pan out. The rules will be tweaked, I'm sure, as it becomes clear what the effect of the movable wing is under racing conditions. Rather than the one second rule on the first Tuesday after Michaelmas but only when there's an R in the month, my thoughts are just to let the drivers use it whenever they wish. If you stall your wing before the other guy you get an advantage. Analogous to the missed gears of old, in a way.

I am completely against the FIA controlling the amount of flap drivers are using in a race by race basis. That is complete bollocks!

I am completely against the FIA controlling the amount of flap drivers are using in a race by race basis. That is complete bollocks!

Agreed. But that's what'll happen.

Anything that is reasonable and would make F1 into the true pinnacle of motorsport should not be expected from FIA, FOTA and FOM-CVC.

Adjustable wings existed on production sports cars since the 90s (Porsche, Bugati, Audi rear pop-up spoiler-wing) and on airplanes since day 1.

Why can't F1s have adjustable wings/ winglets via (widely available and highly developed) electronics is beyond me, and why not use venturi ground-effects for producing most of the downforce.