Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duest

Kubica In Hospital After Rally Crash!

I 've been following this story all day.

It's really sad and I wish him all the best.

Hope we get to see him back in F1 soon, as competitive as he always was.

Latest update:

http://www.canada.co...l#ixzz1DCjsBzxl

"Surgeons are trying to restore the functionality of his right hand," Kubica's manager Daniel Morelli told reporters outside the hospital.

"They have restarted the circulation of blood and repaired the bone structure. Now they have to think about the muscle functionality but Robert has a very strong character, he'll be OK."

I'm glad that you care about Robert because obviously no one else does. You must be a very special boy, well done. We shouldn't be thinking about who will replace him because that makes us all horrible boys and girls. I know that when the question pops up again (just like another poo in my nappy), you won't have an opinion because you'll be worrying about Bobby big nose on our behalf, so thanks little JHS man.

Here's an idea: Why don't you shut the f*ck up for once?

Do you think you're funny with all this bullsh*t about you "crying and pooing"? I don't. I don't think it's funny to be making stupid jokes when a guy's injured either, dumbass.

Best info I've found yet.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns22912.html

It confirms some of my thoughts about the c#ckpit of his being being pierced or penetrated by something. If you look at the youtube footage, you'll see parts of the guardrail missing. My hunch is that is part of what entered the car.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the guardrail broken in the picture but I discarted it because that would produce some serious cuts to him and the reports were said his hand was crush but now your link is giving a more likely scenario anyway all I want to hear right now is that he will be competely fine and back to racing even if he misses this whole season.

Well thats a bit of a Sh#tter to wake up to. And to think alot of ya were chastising Webber for going mountainbiking....

Sounds from the extent of the injuries, Kubica has a long road ahead in recuperation. Can not see him in a F1 car this season. I'm sure he'll pull through and hopefully we'll see him back on track next year. If the injuries prove that impossible, then he joins the list of those F1 guys who've had their careers (or lives) cut short by competing in other forms of motorsport. This is life, and Sh#t happens.

As Carroll Smith has said:

The price of man in motion is the occasional collision. Motor racing is dangerous. In order to be competitive in this business it is necessary to operate at the outer edges of the performance envelope. The closer we come to the edge, the greater the risk of falling off.

All the best to the boy, and hope he has a speedy recovery. He's a talented bloke, and for sure would be missed if he were not to race again.

Unfortunately, F1 is a business, and it is not galling, nor unexpected for talk about a replacement to take place. You can have compassion for the victim, that is fine, however, life, and the show, must go on. All we know for sure is Kubica won't be racing and Renault has two cars. They have a duty to Robert the person, but also to Renault the team. Just as Williams did all those years ago.

However, speculation on whom that may be is best left for another thread.

i am not sure,but i think that the car hit the metal road fence on the road two metres below the road on which it landed, and that ripped the c#ckpit.

you can see it on video.

However, speculation on whom that may be is best left for another thread.

:thbup:

Not the right thread nor the right moment as surgery is still in progress.

I don't think it's fair to criticise Kubica for rallying. The same for Webber mountain biking.

Sure, in hindsight it's easy to say he shouldn't have done it, but up to this point he'd entered loads of rallies and nothing had gone wrong. It is just a freak accident.

F1 drivers have a life outside Formula One, and they'll live it how they want to. It's not up to us to tell them what they should and shouldn't be doing.

I don't think it's fair to criticise Kubica for rallying. The same for Webber mountain biking.

Sure, in hindsight it's easy to say he shouldn't have done it, but up to this point he'd entered loads of rallies and nothing had gone wrong. It is just a freak accident.

F1 drivers have a life outside Formula One, and they'll live it how they want to. It's not up to us to tell them what they should and shouldn't be doing.

Exactly, which is why i stayed out of that whole mountainbiking debate. It was a joke. (the debate on it was a joke....not haha...just dumb)

However it is fair to criticize Kubica's timing in this instance. The season is underway for them. By all means go rallying in the off season, not four days before being back on duty at Jerez.

He knew the risks and the risks have won.

To say "he'd entered loads of rallies and nothing had gone wrong" is not a reason to compete, nor is it a guarantee that nothing would go wrong. You can walk to work everyday of your life until hit and killed by a car. Just because you did this 4000 times prior does not mean you can't get killed on the 4001st trip.

It was really unfortunate that the guardrail entered the c#ckpit. They all do dangerous things like cycling, skiing, motorbikes, rallying...

Here's an idea: Why don't you shut the f*ck up for once?

Do you think you're funny with all this bullsh*t about you "crying and pooing"? I don't. I don't think it's funny to be making stupid jokes when a guy's injured either, dumbass.

I think that swearing at a baby is very wrong. It made me do an extra big gooey poo and made me cry lots more than normal. My dad was laughing which I thought was strange. He said something about 'your buttons' and 'pushing them', or something. I'm too young, please excuse me.

Waaaaaaah, plop.

Surgeons said it will take 5-7 days for a prognosis. They're moderately optimistic Kubica will recover full functionality of the hand and might be fit for professional racing again. But it will take time, it coud be a whole year rehabilitation.

http://www.sportmedi...ml?refresh_cens

Not bad news after all but the next week might be critical.

EDIT: I think they've completely changed the original 21:15 comment. :angry:

A Sky parla il dottor Rossello, il chirurgo specializzato che ha operato sulla mano del pilota polacco “La situazione dell’arto era indubbiamente grave, era quasi amputato e lo abbiamo ricostruito tutto, prima ricomponendo la frattura e poi lavorando sui tessuti muscolari e nervosi. L’intervento è riuscito al meglio, non mi sbilancio troppo ma siamo moderatamente ottimisti. Kubica dovrebbe riacquistare la piena funzionalità dell’arto, per le funzioni vitali e forse anche per svolgere il suo mestiere di pilota. Ma ci vorrà del tempo, forse anche un anno intero di riabilitazione. Comunque è andato tutto bene.”

And now,

Conclusa l'operazione chirurgica a cui si è sottoposto Robert Kubica. L'intervento è durato 7 ore. All'operazione hanno lavorato due equipe di medici. Una si è occupata della mano destra, mentre l'altra si è preoccupata della fratture scomposte alla gamba sinistra. L'operazione è stata molto complessa e le due equipe hanno fatto sapere che la prognosi verrà sciolta fra 5/7 giorni. La mano del pilota, parzialmente tranciata, è stata rivascolarizzata e le fratture sono state ricomposte. Saranno necessari alcuni giorni per capire se l'arto, da un punto di vista neurologico e vascolare, sarà in grado di tornare ad una completa funzionalità.

It's no so optimistic now. See vid below.

EDIT2: Sorry, the first quote was from http://www.blogf1.it/2011/02/06/incidente-al-rally-grave-kubica/

Maybe I've too long looking for news. Good night.

To say "he'd entered loads of rallies and nothing had gone wrong" is not a reason to compete, nor is it a guarantee that nothing would go wrong. You can walk to work everyday of your life until hit and killed by a car. Just because you did this 4000 times prior does not mean you can't get killed on the 4001st trip.

Well, by that logic, we should cover F1 drivers in bubblewrap and not allow them to do anything. He could have tripped down some stairs and hurt his neck or choked on a bone in some chicken he was eating or whatever. Would that mean he would not longer be allowed to walk down stairs or eat food with the season about to start?

I think that swearing at a baby is very wrong. It made me do an extra big gooey poo and made me cry lots more than normal. My dad was laughing which I thought was strange. He said something about 'your buttons' and 'pushing them', or something. I'm too young, please excuse me.

Waaaaaaah, plop.

Seriously dude, STFU. You aren't funny, and you aren't a baby. You have a mental age of one, but you aren't. Go and have your head looked at by a doctor sometime, he might give you some better pills to keep you in touch with reality.

Anyway, this thread is about Bob K, not you, so if you want to continue this bullsh*t elsewhere, feel free to PM me. :)

Doctors saying it could take 12 months for Robert to recover....such a shame. If it's true, he'll be sadly missed from Formula One this year. :(

The good news is, he's still alive.

It really is true at the point you knew you were that close to death, you feel your blood pumping, you hear your heart beating and you never feel more alive in that brief moment.

Wondering how Piotr is taking this news?

The good news is, he's still alive.

It really is true at the point you knew you were that close to death, you feel your blood pumping, you hear your heart beating and you never feel more alive in that brief moment.

Wondering how Piotr is taking this news?

Not very well, but thanks for remembering about me. JHS, I agree on just about everything you posted. My feeling is just ignore that "bambino" idiot.

I feel very certain, that Kubica will be racing again. If the surgery was succesful, I would not rule him out for July/August this year to return. He has already raced before with his hand in cast after his 2003 accident (he was a passenger then.

The scary part is that they shift with their fingers now adays, so if he does not have mobility restored in his right hand, it may hinder him. Anyway, I believe he is out of danger at this time. Didn't see anything enlightening in the Polish press, though...

Unwelcome news. Highlights the issue of allowing drivers to do dangerous extra-curricular activities once the season has begun (he really should not have been rallying between tests, imo). Very risky. If only the barrier had not penetrated the c#ckpit, or he had crashed in a slightly different place. Unlucky Bob. But then again, the big accidents usually involve some terrible luck.

I'm not a doctor so I won't speculate too much, but it's clear he's going to miss a lot of races, at best. Definitely a big loss to this season. I wish him a full recovery.

Aha! Poklish press claims that right after the accident Kubica was in critical condition and that the first priority was to save his life, outcome of which was not completely assured at first. Also, right after his hand surgery, the surgery on his leg continued...

Kubica is out.

Game over for F1.

Maybe not. They now say "up to" a year to recover. The doctor stated that the race drivers recover faster than "normal" people, so it's possible that if his hand heals, he could be back late in the season. BUT, I think it would make more sense if he sat this season out. Probably won't. I would not rule him out for August-September to be back. Unless the team find's a substitute, like Kimi or Heidfeldt.

Or Senna start channeling his uncle and actually getting points.

The broken bones will heal, but having a hand reconstruction, now that is major. If Robert's ok on the brain injury front, then the rehabilitation will be a long an hard road. Just hearing they won't know for a week if the blood supply will keep his hand alive tells you it's very serious. I wonder if another person came into the hospital with the same injuries, but was not famous of have the amount of handlers and carers that Robert has, if they would have just done an amputation. So good luck on his part I think, as a lot of others have not been so lucky in this situation.

Obviously too early to know if Robert will be back in F1, but a part of me feels we will never see him race again. Maybe a parade lap would be nice, but it would takes years of rehabilitation to get some proper functionality back into his hand, but I don't think ever enough to handle an F1 steering wheel for example.

A sad day for Poland. I spent a few weeks of summer in Warsaw and loved it.

Well, by that logic, we should cover F1 drivers in bubblewrap and not allow them to do anything. He could have tripped down some stairs and hurt his neck or choked on a bone in some chicken he was eating or whatever. Would that mean he would not longer be allowed to walk down stairs or eat food with the season about to start?

No. By that logic, you don't take a stroll past a firing squad.

Life is about calculated risks. Some risks are incredibly small...like walking down some stairs. Others are quite large...like strapping an engine to your back with the aid of a 6-point harness and four wheels. You weigh them up, and make a decision. Like George says a few posts after yours, it was the wrong decision to make at this time of year. And like I said, by all means do it in the off season. Did you skip that bit?

I think you are over reacting a bit.

It's a dumb accident, in a meaningless race, at an important time. What exactly was Robert going to prove by racing in this event? Why do it now, when he is needed most by his F1 commitments? It is one thing to ride a mountainbike to get fit and have an off, quite another to do what Robert did as the outcome of an accident is much more likely to be serious (not to say that mountain biking hasn't seen its fair share of deaths, because it has).

The broken bones will heal, but having a hand reconstruction, now that is major. If Robert's ok on the brain injury front, then the rehabilitation will be a long an hard road. Just hearing they won't know for a week if the blood supply will keep his hand alive tells you it's very serious. I wonder if another person came into the hospital with the same injuries, but was not famous of have the amount of handlers and carers that Robert has, if they would have just done an amputation. So good luck on his part I think, as a lot of others have not been so lucky in this situation.

Obviously too early to know if Robert will be back in F1, but a part of me feels we will never see him race again. Maybe a parade lap would be nice, but it would takes years of rehabilitation to get some proper functionality back into his hand, but I don't think ever enough to handle an F1 steering wheel for example.

A sad day for Poland. I spent a few weeks of summer in Warsaw and loved it.

They'll just have to stick a gear-stick into Roberts car from now on....he can champion the removal of paddle shifters :D

It's a dumb accident, in a meaningless race, at an important time. What exactly was Robert going to prove by racing in this event? Why do it now, when he is needed most by his F1 commitments? It is one thing to ride a mountainbike to get fit and have an off, quite another to do what Robert did as the outcome of an accident is much more likely to be serious (not to say that mountain biking hasn't seen its fair share of deaths, because it has).

Worse, what if that car is really championship material and he could've won the championship this year...