Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

duest

Kubica In Hospital After Rally Crash!

double post - others might point to my obvious stupidity, but I'm blaming the crappy connection in this hotel.

Move the inflatable doll from the window.

Dr Igor Rossello, "Today I've medicated Robert and the hand is, at the moment, in fine conditions to the extent that the patient was able to do some simple movement of the fingers, which gives good hope. We'll see how it evolves. At the moment it's difficult to make predictions."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/89323

A good sign.

about Slow Nick !?!? I would rather risk with Petrov's blind cousin from Siberia than give Nick a seat...

This isn't the place, but you do know that Nick Heidfeld was always there or there abouts Kubica's pace, and the difference in points they scored when they were team mates certainly wasn't huge - Kubica never dominated him by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd take Heidfeld too.

Anyway, his condition still sounds pretty bad, but it certainly sounds a lot better than yesterday. I think he'll recover. He's a tough bloke.

This isn't the place, but you do know that Nick Heidfeld was always there or there abouts Kubica's pace, and the difference in points they scored when they were team mates certainly wasn't huge - Kubica never dominated him by any stretch of the imagination.

My Dad played snooker with Steve Davis when they were both learning the sport, so my Dad must be as good as him now.

The rose tinted glasses that are worn when talking about Raikkonen never cease to amaze me. The wonderous results that he could maybe achieve in a car that he has never sat in, in a team he has never been a part of and the extended break from F1 that he has experienced.

I would wonder about Raikkonen's fitness levels. He was never the best trainer when he was in F1 if reports are to be believed. He would always use a neck support at Interlargos for example and he didn't look like the Iceman after some of the hot races when he was on the podium. I don't imagine that his year and a bit in WRC has done anything to improve his fitness levels to F1 standards. I think if he did return to F1 he would be a pale imitation the driver that left; and he wasn't at his best then.

Nick Heidfeld is a good option. I remember Villeneuve saying that he was surprised by Heidfeld when he was his team mate at Sauber. Villenueve said that Heidfeld was very forceful out of the car in the debriefs, he says what he thinks and puts his foot down when he needs to. He's a team driver, a hard worker and very conscientous (something that has never been levelled at Raikkonen). Very useful capabilities that can be used positively by a team like Renault Lotus. I would imagine that Heidfeld's current contractual obligations will be easier to remedy than those of Raikkonen, assuming that he would be willing to return to F1 in the first place which I doubt very much.

The rose tinted glasses that are worn when talking about Raikkonen never cease to amaze me. The wonderous results that he could maybe achieve in a car that he has never sat in, in a team he has never been a part of and the extended break from F1 that he has experienced.

I would wonder about Raikkonen's fitness levels. He was never the best trainer when he was in F1 if reports are to be believed. He would always use a neck support at Interlargos for example and he didn't look like the Iceman after some of the hot races when he was on the podium. I don't imagine that his year and a bit in WRC has done anything to improve his fitness levels to F1 standards. I think if he did return to F1 he would be a pale imitation the driver that left; and he wasn't at his best then.

Nick Heidfeld is a good option. I remember Villeneuve saying that he was surprised by Heidfeld when he was his team mate at Sauber. Villenueve said that Heidfeld was very forceful out of the car in the debriefs, he says what he thinks and puts his foot down when he needs to. He's a team driver, a hard worker and very conscientous (something that has never been levelled at Raikkonen). Very useful capabilities that can be used positively by a team like Renault Lotus. I would imagine that Heidfeld's current contractual obligations will be easier to remedy than those of Raikkonen, assuming that he would be willing to return to F1 in the first place which I doubt very much.

You're talking about a guy that could drive like Senna.... I pity thee o ghost

A very realistic assessment. I also think Heidfeld is the safer option of the two, as it is not at all a given that Raikkonen would perform well. Not that I think he would be interested anyway after the media row he and Renault had last year.

Although I still think if Raikkonen was genuinely interested in making a short comeback then he'd be the better option (even with fitness levels considered). It's a big 'if' though.

My Dad played snooker with Steve Davis when they were both learning the sport, so my Dad must be as good as him now.

Your dad must be quite strange to constantly refer to himself in the third person...

I believe Raikkonen's contractually obliged to race for Citroen in the WRC. I think, seeing as he has a team now, he'll want to anyway. Sorry to shoot down any Raikkonen supporter's fantasy in flames, but it's not realistic to expect Kimi to race. I don't think Renault and Kimi are exactly best buddies anyway after their argument late last year...

A very realistic assessment. I also think Heidfeld is the safer option of the two, as it is not at all a given that Raikkonen would perform well. Not that I think he would be interested anyway after the media row he and Renault had last year.

Although I still think if Raikkonen was genuinely interested in making a short comeback then he'd be the better option (even with fitness levels considered). It's a big 'if' though.

Well, I obviously agree with George :P

But I wanted to add that maybe we're all reminded of Kimi because when you think "someone has to substitute for Kubi" somehow his name pops out. Heidfeld doesn't really stand out, even though he's obviously the logical choice - hasn't left F1, out of a contract, so on. So let us have our moment, I for one know it's not at all realistic... but I don't think Nick would (will?) do Kubi justice XD

But I wanted to add that maybe we're all reminded of Kimi because when you think "someone has to substitute for Kubi" somehow his name pops out. Heidfeld doesn't really stand out, even though he's obviously the logical choice - hasn't left F1, out of a contract, so on. So let us have our moment, I for one know it's not at all realistic... but I don't think Nick would (will?) do Kubi justice XD

Agree.

Your dad must be quite strange to constantly refer to himself in the third person...

I believe Raikkonen's contractually obliged to race for Citroen in the WRC. I think, seeing as he has a team now, he'll want to anyway. Sorry to shoot down any Raikkonen supporter's fantasy in flames, but it's not realistic to expect Kimi to race. I don't think Renault and Kimi are exactly best buddies anyway after their argument late last year...

no problem mate, we realise it's a big IF anyway, as per freaky's post above

Been in Sweden and this news is of course, horrific. The nonsense that is being bandied about with regard to a replacement is normal. To my mind, Kimi is a longshot and ring rusty, Senna may have a deal that gives him the drive anyway and Heidfeld is the sensible banker bet if that isn't the case. What would I do? Get the Hulk? Nah. The team needs points - get Nick.

I don't think Hulkenberg's about to rip his contract up (as well as a future potential drive with them) just to do a handful of races for Renault.

I don't think Hulkenberg's about to rip his contract up (as well as a future potential drive with them) just to do a handful of races for Renault.

Precisely my thoughts.

I don't expect the driver will have an umlaut in his name, personally.

The realistic options include: Nick Heidfeld, Vitantonio Liuzzi, Pedro de la Rosa, and Bruno Senna, as have already been mentioned. Heidfeld's the safe bet, though rather uninspiring. Liuzzi and Senna would be most interesting, I think, but I can't say I'd expect big results from the latter (I think Senna was really overrated coming into F1, and really underrated coming out of it; he's somewhere in the middle); no idea what Liuzzi would do. PDLR is just a slower, older Nick, who is extremely intimate with the cars...wait this isn't 2007?

Roberto Moreno's available, too. He's Super Sub here in the U.S., though I suppose that in Europe, and to Lotus in particular, he's anything but.

http://www.jamesalle...ve-them-for-it/

Says it all, pretty much.

Uh-huh.

I don't expect the driver will have an umlaut in his name, personally.

The realistic options include: Nick Heidfeld, Vitantonio Liuzzi, Pedro de la Rosa, and Bruno Senna, as have already been mentioned. Heidfeld's the safe bet, though rather uninspiring. Liuzzi and Senna would be most interesting, I think, but I can't say I'd expect big results from the latter (I think Senna was really overrated coming into F1, and really underrated coming out of it; he's somewhere in the middle); no idea what Liuzzi would do. PDLR is just a slower, older Nick, who is extremely intimate with the cars...wait this isn't 2007?

Roberto Moreno's available, too. He's Super Sub here in the U.S., though I suppose that in Europe, and to Lotus in particular, he's anything but.

I just love this post because you taught me what an umlaut was. I guess I was never a true Kimi fan. But yeah, I think Senna and Heidfeld are the most realistic options. Renault could always alternate drivers too, I think (not sure if there are any rules on how many drivers you can use..).

If I were Nico Hulkenberg....

That contract of mine with Force India would be ripped up faster than a fast thing.

Here is a seat in a near-to-front running car, better than my old stead at Williams, and I get to race on track for a year instead of look like a prize gnome at the back of the garage with a middle-of-the-pack team.

Yeah, I'd chose sitting around on my a## over racing any day of the week.....

Some of you need your heads read..... :P

Who's going to replace Kubica depends on the next 2 weeks and Kubica's progress. If he is doing phenomenally, and will be expected to return with 2-3 month ( I know, I KNOW! But stil...) then they'll use their own drivers. If it's 6-7 month, it's Hulk or Heidfeld. If it's a year, who knows? Heidfeld would be really good,

Now, I have a full confidence that Kubica will be back. Maybe not in May as his boss predicted, but this year almost certainly.

Been in Sweden and this news is of course, horrific. The nonsense that is being bandied about with regard to a replacement is normal. To my mind, Kimi is a longshot and ring rusty, Senna may have a deal that gives him the drive anyway and Heidfeld is the sensible banker bet if that isn't the case. What would I do? Get the Hulk? Nah. The team needs points - get Nick.

Deals aren't worth anything in F1 - ask Liuzzi. Senna will be given the choice of not driving for Renault and them trying to be nice and helpful to him, maybe giving him a couple of races by giving Petrov a discount on the ransom he pays to let him drive for them. Or he can not drive for them, sue them and waste a lot of time and money, maybe get some money in the end but be in a no better place in his driving career. Renault would be crazy to put two pay drivers on the grid, and one of them as awful as Senna.

Yes they can hire Kimi. They can also hire Nikki Lauda. I would personally hire Jacques Villeneuve if we're going that route of hiring has beens.

Real options: Hulkenberg, Heidfeld, Sutil if Mallya lets him go.

Yes they can hire Kimi. They can also hire Nikki Lauda. I would personally hire Jacques Villeneuve if we're going that route of hiring has beens.

Ah, but Schumacher wasn't a has-been when they hired him to replace Massa in 09? :P

The rose tinted glasses that are worn when talking about Raikkonen never cease to amaze me.

Yes. I would seriously rather hire Jacques Villeneuve.

I'd be happy with JV :). But he's my second preference after Kimi.

On another note, why do we even call this team Renault anyway? They are no more Renault than they are Lotus. We don't call Williams a Cosworth, nor do we call a McLaren a Mercedes. Ok back on topic.

Senna being the #3 means absolutely nothing. A #3 these days is nothing more than a way for a team to extract some cash from a driver whose not been able to find a seat. And if something does happen to the #1 and #2 driver, they get to fill in for a race or two tops. But any longer a period of time, the team then goes back to the drawing board to find a proper driver.

Senna had his chance already. He was in a dog of a car, but when Klein came in after not having raced for years, he smoked him. Senna won't be going anywhere from here on out, unless he's got some monster $$$ in sponsorship. Look what happened to Karthikeyan. Despite Mallya's comments some years back he had no interest in signing him, there he is back in F1. So he must have gotten some major funding somewhere.

But I think really the only logical choice for Renault(?) is Piquet Jr!

I'd be happy with JV :). But he's my second preference after Kimi.

On another note, why do we even call this team Renault anyway? They are no more Renault than they are Lotus. We don't call Williams a Cosworth, nor do we call a McLaren a Mercedes. Ok back on topic.

Senna being the #3 means absolutely nothing. A #3 these days is nothing more than a way for a team to extract some cash from a driver whose not been able to find a seat. And if something does happen to the #1 and #2 driver, they get to fill in for a race or two tops. But any longer a period of time, the team then goes back to the drawing board to find a proper driver.

Senna had his chance already. He was in a dog of a car, but when Klein came in after not having raced for years, he smoked him. Senna won't be going anywhere from here on out, unless he's got some monster $$ in sponsorship. Look what happened to Karthikeyan. Despite Mallya's comments some years back he had no interest in signing him, there he is back in F1. So he must have gotten some major funding somewhere.

But I think really the only logical choice for Renault(?) is Piquet Jr!

We call them Renault, because by natural selection, we are calling Team Lotus, Lotus....we could easily call them Lada, as that too is a car brand represented on the car.

We call McLaren, McLaren, because that is what they have been since the 1960's, and they are powered by the engine of the month, though will be powered by a bespoke McLaren engine in 2013 more than likely.

And we call Williams, William's because one Frank Williams owns the team and called it that from way back when. Again, it does not matter what engine they have as Williams is the manufacturer of the chassis (as is McLaren)

Renault is still called Renault because Renault made the chassis. Because they feature the most idiotic branding in F1 EVER by having three competing car brands on the car, doesn't mean we should call them Lotus or Lada, or indeed Proton. We just call them a marketing joke. We get confused, call them Chevrolet and be done with it. The mere fact that we, the punters, can not agree to call them Lotus, nor Renault, nor Lade, nor Batracer, just goes to prove that they are not Lotus, and Proton have severely f'ed up.