Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

A New Order In F1?

Well, two days into testing and it would appear there may be a change in the pecking order this year. Nico was three seconds off the pace yesterday, [we don't know what programs he was running] but Schumi appears to have unveiled some decent pace in the 2011 version of the Silver Arrow. He is over a second faster than he was at Jerez last year too. We shouldn't be surprised if Merc have a good year, should we? They have the resources, people and two resident geniuses in the shape of Brawn and Schumacher. Ferrari seem to have a very fast car. It is also a 'conventional' car, nothing too radical. Mercedes look as if they may have followed the same path. Sauber too, have been competitive. Sergio seems unfazed. McLaren can't get their car out of the high 21s though Jenson shaved three tenths of Lewis's time yesterday and they may have another good-looking 'dog' on their hands - I hope not. I hear the new Renault is a handful. It will be interesting to see Nick's times later in the piece. Blown floors and back to front exhausts don't seem to be doing it right know but, as the saying goes, it's early days. However, if you go back to 2009, when Brawn dominated testing and last year when the Bulls were rampant, I am reminded that the first show often 'tells the tale' for the season to come.

EDIT: Can't spellblush.gif

I hear the new Renault is a handful. It will be interesting to see Nick's times later in the piece. Blown floors and back to front exhausts don't seem to be doing it right know but, as the saying goes, it's early days. However, if you go back to 2009, when Brawn dominated testing and last year when the Bulls were rampant, I am reminded that the first show often 'tells the tale' for the season to come.

Way too early to tell. RB only showed their hand with the last test last year. and Webber been riding long stints with very competitive times, his fastest lap yesterday coming from the 1st of a 6 lap run.From Autosport - "Mark Webber's best time may only have been good enough for third overall, but it was set on the first of a six-lap run. The Red Bull RB7 once again showed impressive consistency of pace over several longer runs - Webber had two more stints of longer than a dozen laps and was a fixture in the 1m23s throughout." from the hulk - http://www.f1reports.com/f1/article/9347/. We will only see the real pace of Mclaren come the last test, when they have their new exhaust. Schumacher today has been doing fast times with his first laps but then the pace radically drops off. They are in trouble, and should hope that the words of Nico is true, that we will only see their true pace with an upgraded package come the last test.

Waaayyy too early to tell, but RB and Ferrari looks in good position. The other teams will catchup

I read that Nico was not a happy guy yesterday after completing his work (bad body language and a sulky face). I think Nico's reaction to the car yesterday is more telling than Schumi going fastest (so far) today.

As Brad says, Ferrari and Red Bull look to be reasonably well sorted. If I said anything else it would just be wishful thinking.

Well, no matter what, we will always be able to say come end of season:

"No wonder RBR/Poochie/McLaren won this year, they had that revolutionary thingamybob"

or

"No wonder that Ferrari/Force India won this year, their conservative approach made it easy to copy and adapt the other teams thimgamybobs with less fuzz"

Anyways, you heard it here first. I predicted the outcome of this season with unerring accuracy.

Way too early to tell. RB only showed their hand with the last test last year. and Webber been riding long stints with very competitive times, his fastest lap yesterday coming from the 1st of a 6 lap run.From Autosport - "Mark Webber's best time may only have been good enough for third overall, but it was set on the first of a six-lap run. The Red Bull RB7 once again showed impressive consistency of pace over several longer runs - Webber had two more stints of longer than a dozen laps and was a fixture in the 1m23s throughout." from the hulk - http://www.f1reports.../article/9347/. We will only see the real pace of Mclaren come the last test, when they have their new exhaust. Schumacher today has been doing fast times with his first laps but then the pace radically drops off. They are in trouble, and should hope that the words of Nico is true, that we will only see their true pace with an upgraded package come the last test.

Waaayyy too early to tell, but RB and Ferrari looks in good position. The other teams will catchup

Indeed, Graham too showed me a link to BBC's article where Schumi said they'd struggle to get on the podium in the early part. Oh well, I'll take the one-lap wonder. It'll be better than last year, for sure. Maybe Schu & Rosie can do a Trulli?

As all have said so far, only time will tell. Personally, I expect surprises and I shall follow up as time goes by. Hope you'll join me.

As all have said so far, only time will tell. Personally, I expect surprises and I shall follow up as time goes by. Hope you'll join me.

they gonna have to beat this...

"It was another quiet day for Red Bull, with Mark Webber once again producing impressive long-run times without setting any headline-grabbing single laps. The RB7's best time came in a three-lap burst, but he was only a couple of tenths slower than that on a longer run later on. But it was the 19-lap run largely in the 1m24s that highlighted the potential - as nobody else was able to lap consistently at that pace on such a long stint."

hehehehehemmuuwhaaaaahheeeeee <-----evil laugh

But how many races do we give Schumacher this year?

Last year it was four races....then extended to mid season...then to the end of the season....and then to the following season.....so, just wondering when this season I should start paying attention...?????

I wouldn't read much into today's times. They make for interesting speculation, but based on the previous days, I don't think the Mercedes is a front running car. Aesthetically, it's way ahead of everyone else (imo) but they've had more reliability issues than anyone and at times they've been waaay off the pace. Don't know what fuel they're running or even what tyres they've been on, so we'll see.

But how many races do we give Schumacher this year?

Last year it was four races....then extended to mid season...then to the end of the season....and then to the following season.....so, just wondering when this season I should start paying attention...?????

One?

I wouldn't read much into today's times. They make for interesting speculation, but based on the previous days, I don't think the Mercedes is a front running car. Aesthetically, it's way ahead of everyone else (imo) but they've had more reliability issues than anyone and at times they've been waaay off the pace. Don't know what fuel they're running or even what tyres they've been on, so we'll see.

I believe Michael when he said there were no 'show' laps today. There has clearly been some performance improvements as he was a second faster than last year. Interesting.

Perhaps the fact that Schu set his times on super softs may have something to do with topping the timesheets. Don't know if Merc's really improved or not, maybe it's just a lame practice session, but it sure as hell feels so nice to see Schumi at the top.

i think only 4 teams car change the first immpressions: Ferrari, McL, RBull and Merc are the only teams to redevelop a car during the season; the rest can´t change the way things goes. Thus Ferrari seems to have a good car, as RB and Merc? McL needs time.

I´m imprssed with the new Virgin and Force India well faster than Williams, sauber Lotus and co. Time will tl but both teams seems in the right way.

i think only 4 teams car change the first immpressions: Ferrari, McL, RBull and Merc are the only teams to redevelop a car during the season; the rest can´t change the way things goes. Thus Ferrari seems to have a good car, as RB and Merc? McL needs time.

I´m imprssed with the new Virgin and Force India well faster than Williams, sauber Lotus and co. Time will tl but both teams seems in the right way.

And if they (Virgin) stay ahead, what do we have to say about CFD? Still one hand tied behind ones back? <- not directed at you Argie Bargie...just you mentioned Virgin going fast, so quoted you....that and to make you famous.

And if they (Virgin) stay ahead, what do we have to say about CFD? Still one hand tied behind ones back? <- not directed at you Argie Bargie...just you mentioned Virgin going fast, so quoted you....that and to make you famous.

They, the new cars, were 6-7 seconds off the pace last year, now they're within 4 seconds. Big improvement with the radical changes. Timo ran well within 1.24 during a medium lap run yesterday.

Lovely stuff!!!

I believe Michael when he said there were no 'show' laps today. There has clearly been some performance improvements as he was a second faster than last year. Interesting.

"Schumacher set the 1m 20.352 on the second lap of a ten lap run, but suffered significant drop off in performance on the rest of the run. His final three laps were in the 1m 24s.

In contrast Red Bull’s Mark Webber never went for a fast lap, but his sequences of laps showed less differential between times. The same was true of Felipe Massa in the Ferrari F150th Italia, which looks to be kind on its tyres, like its predecessor. Witnesses trackside said that Webber was following Schumacher on a long run in the afternoon and had to frequently drop back to create space before closing up again. The Red Bull was visibly superior under braking and in the faster corners."

www.jamesallenonf1.com

"Schumacher set the 1m 20.352 on the second lap of a ten lap run, but suffered significant drop off in performance on the rest of the run. His final three laps were in the 1m 24s.

In contrast Red Bull’s Mark Webber never went for a fast lap, but his sequences of laps showed less differential between times. The same was true of Felipe Massa in the Ferrari F150th Italia, which looks to be kind on its tyres, like its predecessor. Witnesses trackside said that Webber was following Schumacher on a long run in the afternoon and had to frequently drop back to create space before closing up again. The Red Bull was visibly superior under braking and in the faster corners."

www.jamesallenonf1.com

Were MS and MW on the same compound? Probably not. Michael most certainly set his time on a supersoft, especially if he dropped into the 24s almost immediately afterwards. I would have liked to have seen his times on all compounds. I hear RBR had planned a flying lap as part of their Day 2 program but couldn't due to the huge amount of red flags. Vettel won't be able to resist showing off today so we shall see. At the same time, Nico's performance will be interesting. I also expect Hamilton to wring the neck off the MP4-26 at some point today if, for nothing else to set Jens a time to beat tomorrow. Those boys!

Edit: Typo

Vettel won't be able to resist showing off today so we shall see. At the same time, Nico's performance will be interesting. I also expect Hamilton to wring the neck off the MP4-26 at some point today if, for nothing else to set Jens a time to beat tomorrow. Those boys!

I too read that it was supposed to be Nico's day on the track today, but he's been switched to Sunday, if the facebook feeds from "Michael Schumacher Fanpage" is to be trusted. Let's see if the old man can hold his own against the young turks today.

Were MS and MW on the same compound? Probably not. Michael most certainly set his time on a supersoft, especially if he dropped into the 24s almost immediately afterwards. I would have liked to have seen his times on all compounds. I hear RBR had planned a flying lap as part of their Day 2 program but couldn't due to the huge amount of red flags. Vettel won't be able to resist showing off today so we shall see. At the same time, Nico's performance will be interesting. I also expect Hamilton to wring the neck off the MP4-26 at some point today if, for nothing else to set Jens a time to beat tomorrow. Those boys!

correct, Michaels time was set on the softer option. But throughout the day the car had significan drops in speed per lap, the Mercedes are very hard on it's tyres. No soft tyres when Webber was following Schumie...

correct, Michaels time was set on the softer option. But throughout the day the car had significan drops in speed per lap, the Mercedes are very hard on it's tyres. No soft tyres when Webber was following Schumie...

Source?

I too read that it was supposed to be Nico's day on the track today, but he's been switched to Sunday, if the facebook feeds from "Michael Schumacher Fanpage" is to be trusted. Let's see if the old man can hold his own against the young turks today.

Didn't he do this last year?

Mercedes confirm that: http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/365485/Mercedes_Jerez_test_day_2_report/

Well he's not going to say they were doing glory laps, is he? Saying that, he's currently second in testing today behind Alonso at the time of writing.