Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Bahrain Gp At Risk?

I hope the GP doesn't get cancelled. Yes, OK so it's not always a thrilling GP (although I thought the 2006 and 2009 races where pretty good) but having to cancel a GP sets a dangerous precedent for Bernie and the whole of the F1 fraternity. If the event itself, and the personnel involved are not at any serious risk, then I believe it should go ahead as planned.

Unfortunately, Steve Bernie's criteria in this instance is not as philanthropical as your point of view. Also, how many rank and file Bahrainis ever make it to this event or more importantly, even care that it's on.

Good point, well made.

You need professional helpeusa_think.gif

Good point, well made.

If the event itself, and the personnel involved are not at any serious risk, then I believe it should go ahead as planned.

Please send all predicitve glass spheres to;

Bernard Ecclestone esq

Scary Motorhome with eyes,

Grid near you,

Erronthesideofsafetyshire.

i hope they will kill all the protestants before race weeked.

in my time they would all be crucified along the race track as warning to others.

ahh, todays dictatorships... they have no style

Oh, Imperator, this is not chariot racing in the Coliseum.

Ave, Caesar, morituri te salutant. gladiator.gif

It looks increasingly sensible to cancel the event based on the safety of team personnel travelling to and from the circuit.

Bernie might be in for another PR disaster with some strangely worded comments today: http://adamcooperf1.com/2011/02/18/bernie-ecclestone-on-bahrain-lets-hope-that-this-all-blows-away/

Original: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9401826.stm

Having said that, I wouldn't expect trouble to filter through to the event; Although it would be a world wide soap box for protestors, they are not trying to tell the world, they are trying to tell the Royal family. From experience, if you have no axe to grind with the locals, they are unlikely to take it out on individuals with no relevance to their plight. Not only that, but the track is a long way from the centre of the troubles. Any groups travelling towards the event could be quickly apprehended.

Not necessarily. If the 'haves' come and have a good time right in the face of the 'have-nots', the latter could feel humiliated, belittled and could react violently.

And Lauda trying to feel good about himself by asking for cancellation on moral grounds... I don't remember him boycoting the South African GP at a time when SA native blacks were beeing killed... When it was in his interest, not much morals were involved.

Or maybe, it's simply that Lauda has become a better human being since then? Just because someone was 'bad' in the past doesn't mean they can't to do/say the right things today. People change.

It's simple really. FOM should not to do business with non-democratic states - period. From Bernie's point of view, It's just driven by personal greed. Despite their huge wealth and sophisticated infrastructures, all the Gulf states are no different to Saddam Hussein's Iraq. I don't believe he went to Eton or Harrow, though. Joking aside, Bahrain has 'lightened up' somewhat as far as the tolerance of other religious groups are concerned but it still refuses to recognise women's and gay rights. I believe the Shia majority in these countries have every right to feel aggrieved and I wish them all luck as they strive for freedom.

Agree wholeheartedly.

I see Bernie's copped out and left it to the Crown Prince to decide if the GP goes ahead. I don't think the drivers or the teams would be happy at the thought of competing in a country where ordinary folk are still mourning their dead after a week of non-violent protest. With the Foreign Office advising against non-essential travel to Bahrain, insurance cover becomes an issue too.

Source: http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/367497/F1_teams_want_Bahrain_opener_cancelled__reports/

It's simple really. FOM should not to do business with non-democratic states - period.

No no no. That's arbitrary and meaningless, and will give some people the smug satisfaction of pretending they are doing something to improve the world when they clearly aren't.

I actually really like Webber's comments, that F1 is trivial in the situation. There are far more appropriate arenas for making political statements.

Trivial is the best way to describe F1, a bunch of rich folk driving cars around and p**sing money away. Pretending to care is far worse than not caring.

I abhor meaningless gestures, the F1 fan damn well shouldn't have the satisfaction of sitting on his couch watching cars drive in circles in apparently democratic countries,

and thinking that something good is being done in their name. So people get on with their cozy lives without actually doing anything.

I want my 20 Gp season NOW!!! :furious:

They could easily move the race, but it's hard to make millions off it at short notice. They could have a race at one of the test tracks.

Or maybe, it's simply that Lauda has become a better human being since then? Just because someone was 'bad' in the past doesn't mean they can't to do/say the right things today. People change.

BEtter human being? No he's just a trifling irrelevant person whose only contribution to the world is driving a car in circles. He should keep shut about important matters.

We should all protest to make sure it happens.

:lol:

BEtter human being? No he's just a trifling irrelevant person whose only contribution to the world is driving a car in circles. He should keep shut about important matters.

It's funny, to me, that almost all the time we find a fault in someone else, it's simply seeing our own flaws but not wanting to recognize them in ourselves.

No no no. That's arbitrary and meaningless, and will give some people the smug satisfaction of pretending they are doing something to improve the world when they clearly aren't.

I actually really like Webber's comments, that F1 is trivial in the situation. There are far more appropriate arenas for making political statements.

Trivial is the best way to describe F1, a bunch of rich folk driving cars around and p**sing money away. Pretending to care is far worse than not caring.

I abhor meaningless gestures, the F1 fan damn well shouldn't have the satisfaction of sitting on his couch watching cars drive in circles in apparently democratic countries,

and thinking that something good is being done in their name. So people get on with their cozy lives without actually doing anything.

I was talking about FOM's business strategy not their political stance. In fact, they probably don't have one. Bernie wants the CP to call it off so he can cop the insurance. Of course, there's always the consideration that the FIA may step in. Anything is better for Ecclestone than pulling the rug himself. It will be postponed, it's just a matter of when and by whom.

:thbup:

Geopolitical issues are way too complex for any sport, all they can do is go to any country where they're welcome but they can find much more peaceful countries to go, maybe no such big money but that's the problem, is it all about money? Yes.

It's been cancelled.

Woking will breathe again.

Did they stop the Colonial Grand Prix in the 1770s? I don't think so! Men were men and cars were at the pinnacle of innovation then! How I waited gloriously for months to read about it in the newspaper, when they sure knew how to cover a race! Live and in its entirety? Having to see all the boring bits rather than just imagine them? Nonsense! Never would they have let this happen in the glory days of Grand Prix! Drivers today are pansies and the cars need road-relevant innovations like movable wings and more efficient drinks systems!

Woking will breathe again.

Maybe. But more time for Ferrari and Red Bull to breathe deeper too.

Did they stop the Colonial Grand Prix in the 1770s? I don't think so! Men were men and cars were at the pinnacle of innovation then! How I waited gloriously for months to read about it in the newspaper, when they sure knew how to cover a race! Live and in its entirety? Having to see all the boring bits rather than just imagine them? Nonsense! Never would they have let this happen in the glory days of Grand Prix! Drivers today are pansies and the cars need road-relevant innovations like movable wings and more efficient drinks systems!

Proof that drugs are bad.

Well I for one am really sad that the GP is going to be cancelled. I happen to live here in Bahrain and it is really upsetting what is going on. Although I am more saddened by the way the media has reported on everything going on here.

They have been very biased and one sided, yes sure violence is not condoned but neither should be attacking the police force with knives and swords and then claiming peaceful protesting......

I think people would be really surprised... the protestors don't even know what they really want...

Well I for one am really sad that the GP is going to be cancelled. I happen to live here in Bahrain and it is really upsetting what is going on. Although I am more saddened by the way the media has reported on everything going on here.

They have been very biased and one sided, yes sure violence is not condoned but neither should be attacking the police force with knives and swords and then claiming peaceful protesting......

I think people would be really surprised... the protestors don't even know what they really want...

Insightful. Where are you, in relation to the trouble? Is there a feeling of fear throughtout the whole country or is it pockets of trouble creating the perception that the violence is on a larger scale than being reported?