Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jorrit_vs

Project F1 1.6Turbo Engine For 2013

Hi,

I'm a student at the university of Antwerp (Belgium), we are making a project about the 1.6 engine that wil be used in 2013.

We need to "design" the engine, think of ways we can inprove the engine so it has about the same BHP as the current 2.4 engine.

Could anyone help us with technical info about high performance engine's?

- technical drawings

- part dimensions

- special modifications

- info about the current F1 2.4 engines

Info about the former turbo engines used in F1 would also be very helpfull.

Thanks in advance

Regards, Jorrit Van Schaeybroeck

Hi,

I'm a student at the university of Antwerp (Belgium), we are making a project about the 1.6 engine that wil be used in 2013.

We need to "design" the engine, think of ways we can inprove the engine so it has about the same BHP as the current 2.4 engine.

- technical drawings

- part dimensions

- special modifications

Thanks in advance

don't get me wrong but your naivety is so nice and honest. if you make an effort and read the posts of many threads in this forum you will find out that this is more a sort of pub than a tehnical institute, respect to few members of this forum that are technically qualified.

better try at F1Technical forum.

Take one Ford Kent Crossflow engine.

Add 2x Weber IDF 48mm carbs

Rejet carbs

Tune header and and exhaust

Machine down head to increase compression

Make head from aluminium to save weight and aid in heat dissapation

Fit an air ram

Fit twin turbos

Fit an exhaust turbo

Tweak cam shaft to have valves open longer

Polish crank and camshaft

Fit race plugs

Stand back and watch detonate.

Start fresh with lump of unobtanium.

Refer Haynes range of technical books for further details

Hi,

- technical drawings

- part dimensions

- special modifications

Thanks in advance

Well, here goes. This could be a leg pull but I am always willing to help students whenever I can, even if the don't use a capital 'U" when spelling University.

Hi Jorrit, welcome to the forum. A lot of what you need can be accessed by contacting the FIA direct. Try http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/ and other items on that sub-menu. You could also contact FOTA whose Working Technical Group have just completed a report into the technical changes for 2012 on [email protected]. They will help if they can, I'm sure. As far as turbo-assisted engines are concerned, Renault debuted the RS01 in in F1 as long ago as 1977. You can write to Renault Sport Technologies at their HQ: Renault Sport Technologies, ZA Courtaboeuf 2 - les Ulis, 14, avenue des Tropiques, 91955 COURTABOEUF, France. They are always extremely helpful. Failing that, most of the F1 teams have departments that can help people such as you who wish to gather information. Just contact them direct.

Well, here goes. This could be a leg pull but I am always willing to help students whenever I can, even if the don't use a capital 'U" when spelling University.

Hi Jorrit, welcome to the forum. A lot of what you need can be accessed by contacting the FIA direct. Try http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/ and other items on that sub-menu. You could also contact FOTA whose Working Technical Group have just completed a report into the technical changes for 2012 on [email protected]. They will help if they can, I'm sure. As far as turbo-assisted engines are concerned, Renault debuted the RS01 in in F1 as long ago as 1977. You can write to Renault Sport Technologies at their HQ: Renault Sport Technologies, ZA Courtaboeuf 2 - les Ulis, 14, avenue des Tropiques, 91955 COURTABOEUF, France. They are always extremely helpful. Failing that, most of the F1 teams have departments that can help people such as you who wish to gather information. Just contact them direct.

Pfft...you snobbing my super duper souped up FFord engine? :angry:

Pfft...you snobbing my super duper souped up FFord engine? :angry:

Nope but aluminium head? You obviously never owned a Triumph Stag.

Well I was going to use high quality Comalco aluminium...none of that shoddy British stuff :P

Hi,

- technical drawings

- part dimensions

- special modifications

Thanks in advance

My forum members colleagues are a bunch of... good guys but many of them hasn´t tech background. One nice site to start your trip is www.f1technical.net

Good luck, and try some solenoid valves!!!

Take one Ford Kent Crossflow engine.

Add 2x Weber IDF 48mm carbs

Rejet carbs

Tune header and and exhaust

Machine down head to increase compression

Make head from aluminium to save weight and aid in heat dissapation

Fit an air ram

Fit twin turbos

Fit an exhaust turbo

Tweak cam shaft to have valves open longer

Polish crank and camshaft

Fit race plugs

Stand back and watch detonate.

Start fresh with lump of unobtanium.

Refer Haynes range of technical books for further details

Thx, really appreciate it.

Thx, i contacted Renault Sport by mail, but no answer..

I'll try the sites and the contacts you said.

And i'll keep the U in University in mind ;)

Thx, really appreciate it.

Mate, if you really could do that with a Ford Kent Crossflow 1600 engine, aka Ford Cortina GT engine, and make it into a 800Hp beast, and it held together for longer than 5-mins, then I think you'd find yourself a job at any engine manufacturer on the planet.

Put it this way, whilst turbo's and any carb other than a 32/36 DGV is not allowed in FFord, and the lift on the cams is really limited, they can produce 115-130Hp....so all you got to do is achieve something EIGHT times better than that.

If you want to know more about 1600 engines in general, and at least give you a good base line, purchase and read through Jake Lamont's book How to Build and Maintain Competitive (yet legal) Formula Ford 1600 Engines available from Pegasus

As you will see, FFord engines are pretty much stock standard, and tuned only ever so slightly, yet end up in the 115Hp-130Hp range, with the original GT engines having only produced about 65-75Hp.

Mate, if you really could do that with a Ford Kent Crossflow 1600 engine, aka Ford Cortina GT engine, and make it into a 800Hp beast, and it held together for longer than 5-mins, then I think you'd find yourself a job at any engine manufacturer on the planet.

Put it this way, whilst turbo's and any carb other than a 32/36 DGV is not allowed in FFord, and the lift on the cams is really limited, they can produce 115-130Hp....so all you got to do is achieve something EIGHT times better than that.

If you want to know more about 1600 engines in general, and at least give you a good base line, purchase and read through Jake Lamont's book How to Build and Maintain Competitive (yet legal) Formula Ford 1600 Engines available from Pegasus

As you will see, FFord engines are pretty much stock standard, and tuned only ever so slightly, yet end up in the 115Hp-130Hp range, with the original GT engines having only produced about 65-75Hp.

We've got a base engine and it's not a ford, but i was just asking for a few ideas, good links,...

And our project is pure "theoretical", we just have to make sure it can last enough F1 races (5 engines per season).

In fact we have "unlimited money", so why can't we get 800HP out of it. (Think about the BMW turbo, Renault turbo engines in the 80's)

At the end of the project we will hope to prove you wrong. ;)

Nope but aluminium head? You obviously never owned a Triumph Stag.

Or a Hillman Imp.

I detect a common theme.....English automotive prowess....no, that's definitely not the right adjective....

No, you're spot on. We made the best porous aluminium heads the world has ever known. And that's not to mention the glory of the Rover M16 engine and it's clever self destructing head gaskets, or the K series with it's miniscule coolant capacity. We're experts.