Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Im Tougher Than You

New Zealand cycling's reputation for producing tough riders has grown another leg at the UCI World Cup in Manchester. Invercargill 21-year-old Eddie Dawkins was brought down in a heavy crash while challenging for a medal in the final of the men's keirin, won by Beijing triple gold medallist Sir Chris Hoy.

Dawkins was among the other five riders who came down in a serious crash. Although suffering massive burns from the track, Dawkins got up to run across the line with his bike to secure fifth place before collapsing.

"We got to Eddie with a medical attendant," BikeNZ Head Coach Tim Carswell said. "The medic rushed to Eddie and asked him if he was hurt.

"Eddie replied that he was from New Zealand." The medic, fearing a head injury, said to Dawkins that he did not want to know where he was from, but if he was hurt.

"I heard you. I'm from New Zealand and we don't feel pain," Dawkins replied.

Meanwhile, another with a story to tell after the race was Malaysian cyclist Azizulhasni Awang, who had successful surgery to remove a splinter that went through his left calf during the crash.

Awang managed to remount his bike after the high-speed, four-rider crash and stagger across the line to claim a bronze medal.

He was rushed to a local hospital but medics waited until Sunday to remove the 7.8-inch piece of wood from his calf.

Awang wrote on his Twitter account: "Operation done. Splinter taken out cleanly. Thanks for the prayer n support."

- The Southland Times

How true this is...just the other day I was mowing my lawns when I slipped and fell...my Island-safety-boots, aka jandals, aka flip flops, aka thongs (why Aussies call 'em after a air of womens under garments is beyond me), did their job and continued protecting the undersides of my feet, whilst the blades of the mower trimmed the excess protrusions emanating from the front of my feet clean off...you know the bits that wiggle and you have to trim that hard growth on top of them. Never felt a thing.

Damn mower carb got flooded though and wouldn't restart.....sheesh.

How true this is...just the other day I was mowing my lawns when I slipped and fell...my Island-safety-boots, aka jandals, aka flip flops, aka thongs (why Aussies call 'em after a air of womens under garments is beyond me), did their job and continued protecting the undersides of my feet, whilst the blades of the mower trimmed the excess protrusions emanating from the front of my feet clean off...you know the bits that wiggle and you have to trim that hard growth on top of them. Never felt a thing.

Damn mower carb got flooded though and wouldn't restart.....sheesh.

Aussies call flip-flops thongs????? Crazy!!!!!

oh, I'm glad you're alive and all well and build like Superman, only Superman was'nt a Kiwi.

Nah he wasn't. That's why he was a pussy.

Scared of a little green rock..I mean, really?!?!?