Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

2012 And Other Prophecies

So the Mayans worked out a 5000+ year calendar (and somehow knew when they were born amongst all those dates) and according to some 2012 is going to be the end of it all with the apocolypse...yet other scholars just say the meaning was that it would be a time of change.....

So we have Tunisia changing

We have Egypt changing

We have Bahrain heading the same way

We have Gadaffi on the run

And then we have.....

Worst ever floods in Australia

Earthquakes in NZ

Birds dropping out of the sky

And we have....

Everyone thinking Green

So much recycling collection we can't recycle everything fast enough to stop big piles of rubbish building up

And we have...

A 1.6-litre turbo charge engine in F1

Looks like everything is a changing, my friend.

I'm off to have a lime milkshake.

If 2012 is the end, then live your life to the full. Thank every day that you are alive and given this beautiful gift. Use it and have no regrets. Tell those closest to you every day that you love them.

Live with everything that you have, and enjoy.

If 2012 is the end, then live your life to the full. Thank every day that you are alive and given this beautiful gift. Use it and have no regrets. Tell those closest to you every day that you love them.

2nd that :thbup:

we are still here while mayans have disappeard long time ago.

so much about mayans.

What do you mean with we? Romans disappeared too, oh Caesar.

One thing is for sure, Mayans' sacrifices would scare Caesar himself.

If we all do that then 2012 would not be the end. Poor Mayans. :(

Mayans as a civilisation may be gone, but they still exist, just in a different "form"...those pesky Spanish put paid to them.....and as far as Romans go, I do believe Rome still exists....the only civilsation that was truly wiped out was the neanderthals, and even then, we bred them out....the rest of us just moved around and intermixed etc....

Maybe Steph can write an essay on it? (Since shes a history freak and all)

Time now for breakfast....strawberry jam and cheese on toast I think...

And now Yemen can be added to the list.

So are these revolts being led by some covert American forces? :eusa_think:

These times, they are a changing. But is it from the frying pan into the fire?

It'd be a pleasure to give you an "essay" on Mayan culture. I think the part where Maya males pierced and removed parts of their foreskin and the Maya females their tongues to offer to the Maya Gods as the people believed that the Gods had a thirst for human blood and by doing this the Gods would provide nourishment and protect the villages.

The Mayans did not prophesize "the end of the world". Merely a transition from one age into another. Astrologists have documented for many years the transition into "the Age of Aquarius" - supposedly a time of peace and great creativity. Well, peace usually comes after war and people get creative. The last age we were in lasted approx 2000 years, bringing us to the new phase in which we are entering. Only we as humans can choose if we enter it with great cataclysmic consequence or tranquil progression.

The Mayan way was lots of little democratic states, most of which were sovereign. Nobody really knows why the whole civilisation came crashing down and ended, though I strongly suspect it was the Spanish Conquistador's arrival to the many settlements that the Mayan people built and lived in.

Edit: grammar mistakes

....with their bushy eyebrows.

:lol:

According to my lecturer, I'm on my way to a 1:1 - first class honours!

History is much a part of me as my dominant left hand. And in two or so years when I have my first class with honours degree and i'll become Dr. Clark, M.A Ph.D - the Dr part not being medical but as its a masters degree and there are parts of it being philosophy based as when History cannot provide the evidence or fact it becomes philosophy. When I do pass, I want that professors doctorate at UCLA. I'm already credited with work on a reference book for students due to be released next month (date was pushed back a little), and at the moment am studying and also writing a book on Templar history. Man, I really do ramble. Sorry.

:lol:

According to my lecturer, I'm on my way to a 1:1 - first class honours!

History is much a part of me as my dominant left hand. And in two or so years when I have my first class with honours degree and i'll become Dr. Clark, M.A Ph.D - the Dr part not being medical but as its a masters degree and there are parts of it being philosophy based as when History cannot provide the evidence or fact it becomes philosophy. When I do pass, I want that professors doctorate at UCLA. I'm already credited with work on a reference book for students due to be released next month (date was pushed back a little), and at the moment am studying and also writing a book on Templar history. Man, I really do ramble. Sorry.

main thing is that you have managed to stay modest Dr.Clark, M.APh.D.:D

you know that all of the grannies from your neigbourhood will come to you for free medical advices, don't you? to them, a doctor is a doctor. better buy yourself a stethoscope, it will be easier to examine them, then to explain to them what 'Dr.' in your title means.

Mayans as a civilisation may be gone, but they still exist, just in a different "form"...those pesky Spanish put paid to them.....and as far as Romans go, I do believe Rome still exists....the only civilsation that was truly wiped out was the neanderthals, and even then, we bred them out....the rest of us just moved around and intermixed etc....

The Mayans weren't in their prime when those pesky Spanish met them. The Aztec empire and the Inca empire dominated the most of South America at the time but there were a myriad of other smaller cultures and tribes that were eager to scape from the three of them. They all are gone, even those pesky Spanish. The Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians, the Carthaginensis, the Hunos... All gone. Rome still exists, Greece still exists, Egypt exists... Spain exists. We still use the old name. That's all.

Cultures and civilizations disappear like people. Sometimes they're wiped out, sometimes they simply die, sometimes they change too much. Intermixing is a good way of renewing cultures and civilizations, a good way of making them better, but it's not that common. There are not that many intermixed couples in the world. Race, religion and nationality are not very commonly intermixed and I admire those who are able to do it and make it work. Even more if they are different race, religion and nationality.

The Mayan way was lots of little democratic states, most of which were sovereign. Nobody really knows why the whole civilisation came crashing down and ended, though I strongly suspect it was the Spanish Conquistador's arrival to the many settlements that the Mayan people built and lived in.

The Mayans were far from democratic, their culture was extremely cruel and primitive and, as I said, it was far from its prime long before the arrival of the Spanish conquerors. Their arrival produced a chain of events that ultimately made the dominant pre-hispanic cultures in South America disappear.

main thing is that you have managed to stay modest Dr.Clark, M.APh.D.:D

you know that all of the grannies from your neigbourhood will come to you for free medical advices, don't you? to them, a doctor is a doctor. better buy yourself a stethoscope, it will be easier to examine them, then to explain to them what 'Dr.' in your title means.

Oh well. They'd find a stethoscope up their harris and a thermometer in their nose. ;) and anyway, i'm proud of my successes, off to live in the USA, adapting my thought processes to their way of life. :P

Oh well. They'd find a stethoscope up their harris and a thermometer in their nose. ;) and anyway, i'm proud of my successes, off to live in the USA, adapting my thought processes to their way of life. :P

you have a reason to be proud. when you come there rent a ford F-150, it is not ferrari, but it is the closest thing to ferrari :D

you have a reason to be proud. when you come there rent a ford F-150, it is not ferrari, but it is the closest thing to ferrari :D

Hey man, don't knock the F-150. It's really useful for getting groceries and, as Americans, those take up a lot of space! ;)

But really, as someone who drives an SUV (it seats seven, and on my commute to school I'm often the only one in it) with no need for it other than personal enjoyment, I would highly recommend the F-150. Think of it this way. Are you causing some problems? Sure. But problems need solutions, and solutions require people being employed. I believe that, by driving a polluting tank that gets 15 mpg on a good day, I'm creating the entire "green" sector of the economy, and am therefore doing all sorts of people with engineering degrees a favor. Join my cause and be more wasteful. :)

The Mayans weren't in their prime when those pesky Spanish met them. The Aztec empire and the Inca empire dominated the most of South America at the time but there were a myriad of other smaller cultures and tribes that were eager to scape from the three of them. They all are gone, even those pesky Spanish. The Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians, the Carthaginensis, the Hunos... All gone. Rome still exists, Greece still exists, Egypt exists... Spain exists. We still use the old name. That's all.

Cultures and civilizations disappear like people. Sometimes they're wiped out, sometimes they simply die, sometimes they change too much. Intermixing is a good way of renewing cultures and civilizations, a good way of making them better, but it's not that common. There are not that many intermixed couples in the world. Race, religion and nationality are not very commonly intermixed and I admire those who are able to do it and make it work. Even more if they are different race, religion and nationality.

The Mayans were far from democratic, their culture was extremely cruel and primitive...

Incorrect. The Mayan settlements all had their own sovereign rulers, elected by the people (mostly male). That's a democracy. When I get to the referencing systems on Monday, I'll try to find you a couple of excerpts and send them to you.

Despite this, you are correct on the brutality displayed in these settlements. Mainly as they believed in human sacrifice to appease their Gods. I've read that certain segments of the religious groups believed that by sacrificing the strongest of the group, that it would be looked upon as favourable by the Gods, therefore acquiring better "gifts", and food, crops, water and health would be in abundance.

The Maya are an enigma. Very interesting work. Dirk Gill did many a good article on the Mayan way of life, and he's referenced quite a few times. I suggest you take a look and you'll be pleasantly surprised. :thbup:

Added. All said and done Alex, I really enjoy debating with you, when the opportunity arises. Alonso forever!!

Mayans? Amusing. Well, the Mayan "civilization" was coming unstuck long before the Europeans showed up and their "political" system was hereditary... although, hey, anything can be called a democracy, even if it has slavery and/or human sacrifice.

Regarding cultural contact leading to disappearance, sure, it has happened plenty of times (and continues to happen). But it isn't as neat as "poof! they are all gone". Cultural aspects intermingle and so do individuals. It is nearly impossible to completely wipe out a "culture" unless it is anecdotal to begin with (say, a total of 12 individuals).

I spotted the word Neanderthal somewhere above and, even though they were a different _species_, there surely was cultural contact and exchange, possibly, even interbreeding...

... case and point, there are folks that believe that all one needs in order to get yourself a world championship in today's F1 is nothing more than 3 dollars and Brawn's genius.

EDIT: possessive.

Incorrect. The Mayan settlements all had their own sovereign rulers, elected by the people (mostly male). That's a democracy. When I get to the referencing systems on Monday, I'll try to find you a couple of excerpts and send them to you.

I think the rulers inherited the power without election like European kings. If there was some kind of election, it had to be among a very small number of candidates and electors but I hadn't heard of it before. The majority of people living there didn't have access to the democracy and I don't think it was even close to Athenian democracy. Even our democracies are still far from perfect.

Despite this, you are correct on the brutality displayed in these settlements. Mainly as they believed in human sacrifice to appease their Gods. I've read that certain segments of the religious groups believed that by sacrificing the strongest of the group, that it would be looked upon as favourable by the Gods, therefore acquiring better "gifts", and food, crops, water and health would be in abundance.

I think their brutality was linked to both religion and power. They had a lot of potential enemies among the surrounding tribes that eventually joined the Spanish conquerors and they used to sacrifice their prisoners to keep them in fear.

The Maya are an enigma. Very interesting work. Dirk Gill did many a good article on the Mayan way of life, and he's referenced quite a few times. I suggest you take a look and you'll be pleasantly surprised. :thbup:

I agree they're an enigma, a bit like Egyptians, and it seems they'll remain like that for a long time. Gilles' life is interesting, I'll try to read a bit more about him. My problem about Mayans is that they're full of myths and some people are trying to spread it for their own benefit. I've heard some "experts" saying that they practiced surgery because they had found some marks in the skulls and ribs of deaths, those marks had nothing to do with surgery but with ritual sacrifices. They mix History and Sci-Fi because it sells. Now we have the calendar the end of the world... As you said it's supposed to be a time for change.