Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

2012 And Other Prophecies

Mayans? Amusing. Well, the Mayan "civilization" was coming unstuck long before the Europeans showed up and their "political" system was hereditary... although, hey, anything can be called a democracy, even if it has slavery and/or human sacrifice.

It was my understanding too. Mayan democracy sounds a bit shocking.

Regarding cultural contact leading to disappearance, sure, it has happened plenty of times (and continues to happen). But it isn't as neat as "poof! they are all gone". Cultural aspects intermingle and so do individuals. It is nearly impossible to completely wipe out a "culture" unless it is anecdotal to begin with (say, a total of 12 individuals).

In a way that's what I meant when I said Spain exists but those pesky Spanish are gone. The Spanish empire is gone, like the Roman empire and many others. We still remain linked emotionally and culturally to that empire but we aren't the Spanish empire anymore.

Nice the Mayans took you out from your lethargy. :)

In a way that's what I meant when I said Spain exists but those pesky Spanish are gone. The Spanish empire is gone, like the Roman empire and many others. We still remain linked emotionally and culturally to that empire but we aren't the Spanish empire anymore.

True, true. Ain't your country quite a cultural crossroads on its own... though, of course, all countries are if one digs deep enough.

Nice the Mayans took you out from your lethargy. :)

I haven't been around because I'm not allowed to work so I'm away from the computer and in the hills, yep, gone commando.

My comments on this thread are accidental... as are always, which reminds me, have any of you taken a good look at Whiting's contract? How the fvck are we gonna get rid off that leech...

Hey man, don't knock the F-150. It's really useful for getting groceries and, as Americans, those take up a lot of space! ;)

But really, as someone who drives an SUV (it seats seven, and on my commute to school I'm often the only one in it) with no need for it other than personal enjoyment, I would highly recommend the F-150. Think of it this way. Are you causing some problems? Sure. But problems need solutions, and solutions require people being employed. I believe that, by driving a polluting tank that gets 15 mpg on a good day, I'm creating the entire "green" sector of the economy, and am therefore doing all sorts of people with engineering degrees a favor. Join my cause and be more wasteful. :)

well, when you put it like that, it is really logical :D

True, true. Ain't your country quite a cultural crossroads on its own... though, of course, all countries are if one digs deep enough.

I haven't been around because I'm not allowed to work so I'm away from the computer and in the hills, yep, gone commando.

My comments on this thread are accidental... as are always, which reminds me, have any of you taken a good look at Whiting's contract? How the fvck are we gonna get rid off that leech...

obviously, by waiting natural causes to do their job

Sorry to hear about that. Actually, maybe not. I wish I could live in the hills, near the beach, far away from all the sh##t but not too far. I hope I can do it in a few years.

Incorrect. The Mayan settlements all had their own sovereign rulers, elected by the people (mostly male). That's a democracy. When I get to the referencing systems on Monday, I'll try to find you a couple of excerpts and send them to you.

Despite this, you are correct on the brutality displayed in these settlements. Mainly as they believed in human sacrifice to appease their Gods. I've read that certain segments of the religious groups believed that by sacrificing the strongest of the group, that it would be looked upon as favourable by the Gods, therefore acquiring better "gifts", and food, crops, water and health would be in abundance.

The Maya are an enigma. Very interesting work. Dirk Gill did many a good article on the Mayan way of life, and he's referenced quite a few times. I suggest you take a look and you'll be pleasantly surprised. :thbup:

You forgot the bit were they invented mayannaise! Get it.......mayonnaise......mayannaise..........I'll get my coat.

Pauly! Welcome back dude. Someone who understands how I talk! I'm still in Liverpool at the moment trying to sort out stuff. How goes it?

You forgot the bit were they invented mayannaise! Get it.......mayonnaise......mayannaise..........I'll get my coat.

I thought it was mayamalade.

I'll get my coat too.

obviously, by waiting natural causes to do their job

Tragic possibility.

There will be no F1 left whenever the time for Ecclestone and his pet come up...

Pauly! Welcome back dude. Someone who understands how I talk! I'm still in Liverpool at the moment trying to sort out stuff. How goes it?

I'm fine thanks, Stephy. How's it going for you?

I knew you were in Liverpool, my stalking trips have been so much shorter............:unsure:.................I mean welcome back to Liverpool :eekout: