Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Australian Gp Official Thread

Webber must be pleased with himself! Vettel did a good job too. Alonso looking like he could pose a threat. Button and Hamilton not too shabby. Surprised at Rubinho, posted a decent lap in that Williams. Looking forward to seeing what he can do this season.

I was picking up my wee little girl, but we'll be watching FP2 together on the couch......90mins to go......I can hardly contain myself....

30mins into FP2

Hamilton P1

Rosberg P2

Button P3

Massa P4

HRT P-Off......not even got wheels on em....must be in customs????

These flippy wings are quite cool. The rules around them are dumb.

They are allowed to flip them at any time in FP and Q, but come the race, only if you're a second behind someone going into a singular corner...thats just daft. Let them do it when they want....you'll see passing, and/or cars spinning/sliding in corners when the driver forgets to reset it. Plus those cars that are aerodynamically superior will get more of a boost than the others, plus it will act like an air-brake into a corner....

My money is on the rules being changed to allow them to use it anywhere and at any time in a race.

Halfway thru and its

Schumacher P1

Button P2

Hamilton P3

Alonso P4

Heidfeld shedding wing endplates.

Williams gets the nicest looking back three quarters photo shot award. The car looks nice with its stripes.

Hamilton tries the flippy wing behind Maldonado into turn 1....able to pull alongside but as soon as the flap dropped, he lost ground. The wing use into a corner rule is not working.....did I mention that already?

At the flag,

Button P1

Hamilton P2

Alonso P3

Vettel P4

Liuzzi made it around for an installation lap....go HRT!!

Quite a shock to see Button P1 and Hamilton P2... lets hope that continues through the rest of the weekend and that Mclaren were sandbagging the whole time!

No surprise to see Red Bull & Ferrari occupy the top slots at the end of FP1 & 2. Very much surprised by McLaren. Merc? Well, this guy at http://www.enterf1.com/f1/Australian-GP-2011-Free-Practice-Review-and-Analysis.asp says they were supreme in speed traps but slow in sector 3, indicating low downforce (I've no idea what downforce is meant to do). Anyway, he says Merc seems to have something in reserve, hope he's right. Nice to see Schumi post a faster time than Nico. If my memory serves me right, Schumi said he's pleased with the Pirellis. Fingers crossed!

Downforce keeps the car glued to the ground, and thus able to go around corners fast, and fast laps are all about taking corners fast.

But how can Button win if you said that McL have a crap car?

Alright, alright. I'm winding you up. :P

They did have a crap car without a doubt. It's vastly improved and has genuine pace. Jenson is always a danger in such a vehicle.

I analyzed Renault's-Lotus-eeya-eeya-ooo quotes and I figured the following:

1. Heidfeld is NOT comfortable with the car

2. Petrov did not magically transformed into a star over winter (despite clear orders from Uncle Putin)

3. The team desperately needs Kubica back

That's that. Oh, and it appears that Speedtv will broadcast the qualy at 1:30 am ONLY. They will also broadcast the race at 2:00 am ONLY (unless preempted by "The best of NASCAR 2007").

Crap.

Nice season launching thread, Handy!laugh.gif

Webber for pole

Webber for the win

That's my uneducated outlook for race 1. :P

Oh GOD come on already, I WANT TO GLOAT! -check McLaren Catastrophe thread-

:whistling:

FP3 is over

Again, the RBRs showed that they could have as well hired Nelsinho and Ronaldinho to drive their cars for all that matters. Vettel crushed everybody on softs and on hards.

The Maccas performed really good, which is a relief for all of us who were sick of hearing their endless whines :P

Alonso's brow must have grown up a few centimeters in thickness watching the Ferrari being challenged and knowing that this will be yet another year of hard working ahead. Massa was noweher to be seen, as usual.

The Mercs keep playing hide'n seek.

Good news for the HRTs finally posting an (in)significant time only 17 secs behind of Vettel. That makes them very optimistic towards a future competition should Toyota decide to come back with their Prius model. HRT is confident they could end within 107% of the Prius qualy time. More or less.

Well after FP3 the picture emerges...

Red Bull is blistering fast....how many laps they can maintain the speed is another, what with the tyres holding together or not.

McLaren are right up there, and may be the tortoise to Red Bull's hare....you don't have to have the fastest car to win the race. Yes they are a second back, but that second might stretch out to one less pitstop for tyres. Who knows?

Petrov was up there in FP3 - he's quick, and the vodka's are working well in his drinks bottle. Yes, he had a little off at the end, but it seemed controlled, and that he was looking for the edge of the tyres, which he found. And then some. Team Poochie partner Heidfeld was his usual self....forgotten...

Ferrari looks like it will be a one horse challenge, or is that a one trick pony. OK, Massa's camera fell off and according to the rules he's not allowed out without one, so we have to give him a half pass for languishing on the bottom half of the table.

Williams was, er, nowhere, thanks to Father Ted taking the car off piste (not the first time this weekend) and Rube's car decided it had had enough.

STR is where I expected them to be...fair to middling it...right alongside Force India and Sauber. Sorry folks, but I see no move up the grid for STR.

Sauber was the ever missed team. Were they even on the tele at any point? I don't think so, and not for a mix up in the commentary between them and HTR, I don't think they got a mention. I don't know what is worse - to be invisible, or to be thought you are HRT....

Force India has plugged, or chugged, along...with The Chef posting a quicker time than Sutil. OK, so it was 0.05secs faster....but the rookie gets the nod from me as it's his first season versus Sutil's millionth.

Over at Mercede's it's like a continuation of 2010...Rosberg 0.3secs faster than Schumacher. That'll give Nico confidence going into qually - he's still on top of Mike, and frankly, I can't see the stats between them by seasons end to be anything but in Nico's favour.

Team Lotus are still languishing in 18th/19th/20th positions. They were the team I thought would make an improvement. Sadly not.

Virgin...might struggle to get past the 107% rule. Not giving me many bullets to fire in the CFD vs windtunnel debate. Still, windtunnels are not everything....Volvo still raced their "bricks".....

And finally HRT. Hopeless Ridiculous Terrible is what the boys at Pitpass.com wrote, and quite frankly, how can you not agree? 17-seconds behind. Let me spell that out....S E V E N T E E N seconds behind, or in track space terms, 1/6th of a lap behind....yes, they would be lapped within 6 laps. They are not, they will not, they bloody well better not, qualify. I gave them (and Lotus and Virgin) the benefit of the doubt being first season teams last year, but this is just a joke. Someone give them a Lola 332 F5000 - it'll lap Albert Park 14-seconds faster than that car, and its from the 1970's, has a stick shift, hardly any aero to speak of, and it's engine has been reconditioned every year since 1973.

Pretty good analysis, and what a rant at the end! I bet you look cute when you're ranting. :naughty:

Pretty good analysis, and what a rant at the end! I bet you look cute when you're ranting. :naughty:

Cuter than jumpsuits.... :P

Cuter than jumpsuits.... :P

Even six year old Lonsdale's with holes in the feet? Sexy! :wub:

Q1 and F1 2011 for that matter, begins!!!!!!clap3.gif

And the best part....no Jonathan Legard!!!!!!

biggrin.gif

Ok, all the jokers are out, lets see what the field can do now...Rubens in the sandbox!