Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Australian Gp Official Thread

Heidfeld should be sacked after this qualifying. This is the problem I have with the guy, promises so much in terms of so-called development skills, experience and speed, but when he has to deliver he just can't. It just keeps on happening, a recurring nightmare...

Strange thing was, he was up there with Petrov in FP's. Something must have been up, maybe traffic? I don't know as they only showed the last quarter lap of his last run and he had just cleared two cars during that. So as much as Heidfeld is to blame, so too Team Poochie for not putting him out in a break in traffic. They have everything so calculated, right down to the second to take the tyre warmers off, but they still can't see a car is going to be in the way????

If the car really is quick, then expect Nick to work his way up the field. At least Aussie is a track with a couple of overtaking spots on it.

Could also have been a case of not using the flipper wing enough on his lap(s). And that's the dumb thing about the flipper....only having a certain spot to use it in the race, yet being allowed to use it all over during practice and qually doesn't make sense. Just let em use it whereever, whenever, and lets have some exciting racing. But noooooooooooooooo.....

OK, this is interesting.....rumours abound that RBR have a start only (i.e. charged in the pits) KERS, and that they don't have a recharge system on the car.

This means two things....one, whilst still having to meet the minimum 640kg of the car, they can put the weight where they need it and achieve a better balance for the car, whereas KERS equipped cars have to lump the weight in a less than ideal spot.

Two, that this is a pretty big gamble on Newey's genius....basically they are saying "c'mon bitches....you can have a more powerful engine, but you still can't catch us!" OK as this may be in qually trim, how about in a 60-lap race?

OK, this is interesting.....rumours abound that RBR have a start only (i.e. charged in the pits) KERS, and that they don't have a recharge system on the car.

This means two things....one, whilst still having to meet the minimum 640kg of the car, they can put the weight where they need it and achieve a better balance for the car, whereas KERS equipped cars have to lump the weight in a less than ideal spot.

Two, that this is a pretty big gamble on Newey's genius....basically they are saying "c'mon bitches....you can have a more powerful engine, but you still can't catch us!" OK as this may be in qually trim, how about in a 60-lap race?

There's bid debates going on on the JA website, about the legality of it, and the non-recovery of energy whilts braking, which is what it is suppose to be for. I say it's just plain genius, RB found a loophole and no other team thought of it.

edit: In hindsight, why did'nt other teams think of it, it's so simple a solution

Interesting session. Some new themes emerging and some old ones still going strong, but most importantly F1 is still pretty exciting in 2011.

Some observations:

• Brundle & DC worked beautifully as a commentary team. Nonsensical talking and random babbling seemingly gone.
  • Schumi still looks worse than Rosberg, and Massa still looks worse than Alonso. The tyres excuse both relied on last year is looking a little shaky already.
  • Sauber and Toro-Rosso were impressive to get Q3 grid positions. Sauber's problem is making anybody care (I think it's something in the name that just sounds boring..). Good to see Kobayashi up there, and as I thought Perez has already made a good start which many people have noticed. He just needs to deliver in qualifying better.
  • The order of the cars in pace terms seems to be Red Bull, Mclaren (who certainly weren't sandbagging in testing), Ferrari (Alonso) followed by Renault/Mercedes, everyone else in between and then as usual the newer teams trailing. The race will tell us more about pace though and managing the tyres over a stint, and calling into the pits at the right time, might be more crucial than outright pace (maybe Ferrari/Mclaren will claw something back on one of these grounds).
  • Red Bull look to have an extremely good car, and probably a better performing car than last year in terms of gap to the others. I won't judge their current drivers just yet, as they may well go 1-2 in every Grand Prix for all we know, but it seems based on qualifying those kind of Mclaren '88 results are possible with two strong drivers.
  • Petrov performed well in the Renault and Heidfeld had a shocker, I'm not convinced that large difference will become a trend for the season but we'll see (I refuse to believe Heidfeld is suddenly that bad, he often beat Kubica when they were team mates after all, or that Petrov is particularly good). The problem for either of them is that throughout the season, the question will persist: how much better would Kubica have done? Unless they win races in the car Heidfeld/Petrov, and Renault, will always have that hanging over them.
  • A few rookies in the field and yet some of the worst 'rookie style' errors came from Rubens, Sutil, and of course the ever determined Massa.
  • HRT's failure to qualify was hardly a surprise and we can be thankful for the sensible reintroduction of the 107% rule. They needed Bahrain and Australia to be cancelled to be anything like ready.
  • Great for us that Hamilton split the Bull's although it was more Webber's mysterious poor performance rather than a special one from Lewis. Vettel would probably prefer Webber alongside him and the notorious disaster zone of turn one will be fun tomorrow. Personally I hope Lewis makes Vettel work for it!

Lastly, lots of rumours stemming from the fact Red Bull didn't use KERS during qualifying. Newey's latest alleged innovation: a start only KERS system which would apparently be lighter than the usual design allowing for better placement of ballast, resulting in better balance and weight distribution. The simplest ideas can be the best ideas.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/90255

http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=43191

Yep. What he said ^^^ thbup.gif

Agree re Brundle and Coulthard. One of the reasons I stopped watching was because Jonathan Legard drove me bonkers....

McLaren looked fast but front end a bit stiff. Red Bull class act.

Massa/Rubens/Schui hmmmmm

And no surprise here, but HRT have not been allowed to race.

So what is at the heart of the problem for HRT?

Money?

Management?

Engineers?

Drivers?

Money: Yes, it takes money to race in formula one. If anyone ever thought $40m was enough (that's you Max) had to have been on the wacky tabaccy (or in Max's case, just wackied on the a##). However, Minardi even in their lowest of lows, still managed to be inside the 107% rule on a very small budget.

Management: This is where I feel the fault lies. Kolles is an amateur - wants to go racing, that's cool, I get that...but do it in a formula where you can learn how to make a team work successfully, like Formula Ford. Your money hasn't been managed well, neither your time.

Engineers: Doubtful, given the obvious crappy management above them

Drivers: Hardly....who would really want to be in their shoes? Standing around at race tracks doing 5/8ths of **** all

Interesting session. Some new themes emerging and some old ones still going strong, but most importantly F1 is still pretty exciting in 2011.

Some observations:

• Brundle & DC worked beautifully as a commentary team. Nonsensical talking and random babbling seemingly gone. Like honey drops to the ears
  • Schumi still looks worse than Rosberg, and Massa still looks worse than Alonso. The tyres excuse both relied on last year is looking a little shaky already. But they still use tyres, so I am sure they can trolley that ol' excuse out..it's ignorant fans that actually believe stories about tyres....
  • Sauber and Toro-Rosso were impressive to get Q3 grid positions. Sauber's problem is making anybody care (I think it's something in the name that just sounds boring..). Good to see Kobayashi up there, and as I thought Perez has already made a good start which many people have noticed. He just needs to deliver in qualifying better. Sauber? What is that? Some type of fish? What are you on about?
  • The order of the cars in pace terms seems to be Red Bull, Mclaren (who certainly weren't sandbagging in testing), Ferrari (Alonso) followed by Renault/Mercedes, everyone else in between and then as usual the newer teams trailing. The race will tell us more about pace though and managing the tyres over a stint, and calling into the pits at the right time, might be more crucial than outright pace (maybe Ferrari/Mclaren will claw something back on one of these grounds). Like I said, McLaren is the tortoise to Red Bull's hare....what we have here is two distinct race strategies...at last!
  • Red Bull look to have an extremely good car, and probably a better performing car than last year in terms of gap to the others. I won't judge their current drivers just yet, as they may well go 1-2 in every Grand Prix for all we know, but it seems based on qualifying those kind of Mclaren '88 results are possible with two strong drivers. Everyone goes on about that season of McLaren dominence...but what about 98 where they were lapping everyone in the field, or Ferrari in the early 00's?
  • Petrov performed well in the Renault and Heidfeld had a shocker, I'm not convinced that large difference will become a trend for the season but we'll see (I refuse to believe Heidfeld is suddenly that bad, he often beat Kubica when they were team mates after all, or that Petrov is particularly good). The problem for either of them is that throughout the season, the question will persist: how much better would Kubica have done? Unless they win races in the car Heidfeld/Petrov, and Renault, will always have that hanging over them. Agree...
  • A few rookies in the field and yet some of the worst 'rookie style' errors came from Rubens, Sutil, and of course the ever determined Massa. Such is life, and can't be perfect all the time...
  • HRT's failure to qualify was hardly a surprise and we can be thankful for the sensible reintroduction of the 107% rule. They needed Bahrain and Australia to be cancelled to be anything like ready. No, they need better management...no amount of time will make up for bad management.
  • Great for us that Hamilton split the Bull's although it was more Webber's mysterious poor performance rather than a special one from Lewis. Vettel would probably prefer Webber alongside him and the notorious disaster zone of turn one will be fun tomorrow. Personally I hope Lewis makes Vettel work for it! Well, we'll find out soon enough, won't we? Yay!

Lastly, lots of rumours stemming from the fact Red Bull didn't use KERS during qualifying. Newey's latest alleged innovation: a start only KERS system which would apparently be lighter than the usual design allowing for better placement of ballast, resulting in better balance and weight distribution. The simplest ideas can be the best ideas. Do you not read threads, or do you just ignore me :(

Heidfeld should be sacked after this qualifying. This is the problem I have with the guy, promises so much in terms of so-called development skills, experience and speed, but when he has to deliver he just can't. It just keeps on happening, a recurring nightmare...

It was a joke to even take him on in the first place.

I'm sure he has performance clauses.....maybe Hulkenberg will get the seat afterall?

I'm sure he has performance clauses.....maybe Hulkenberg will get the seat afterall?

Hulkenberg? To team Poochie? what did they do to you?

As George said, I think NH (that's NH Nick Heidfeld as opposed to NH Nico Hulkenberg....hey, another name row ahead! Nick Poochie? NP?) had a bad day (awfully bad, granted) but nobody seriously thinks that Petrov is so much better than NH. I have my fingers cossed for Petrov, but I still think that during the course of the season, NP will ultimately outperform the Russian (and, for the record, I'd rather see it going the other way around)

NP is not THAT bad as to be replaced by a guy that once upon a time managed a perfect lap. They need to earn as much points as possible and make as much money as possible when the season finishes. NP is a better guarantee of collecting points (which become dollars) than VP and NH. They did the right thing.

And RK will be back you'll see. You'll all see! Mwahahaha! MWAHAHAHA!!! ARGHHHHHHHHH!!! PFFFFT!! *choke*

EDIT: Got lost somewhere in the middle with the poochis, the Hulkenbergs and the Heidfelds

It was a joke to even take him on in the first place.

I tend to agree. Nick will underwhelm imho but I heard he had a KERS problem in quali, which might explain his poor showing.

I'm also slightly surprised to see the views on RBR vs McLaren. Today was a great day for McLaren in my view. With the Ferraris seemingly quite slow, Lewis was 0.8s/lap slower than Vettel, but he had a KERS failure on his hot lap (and consequently disturbed brake balance), perhaps costing him 0.2-0.3s/lap. When you add into this the fact that McLaren probably have more easy development in the pipeline given their running has been so limited in pre-season testing, they can probably catch up another tenth or two on Red Bull without too much difficulty.

So that leaves them within half a second a lap and that's catchable over a season. And, very importantly, McLaren have the use of KERS throughout the race. Red Bull will certainly lose time and points over the season by finding themselves stuck behind a car that does have KERS, or being overtaken by the same. This supposedly brilliant idea from Red Bull might turn out to cost them - I guess whether they gain or lose overall will be determined by the kind of traffic we get with the complicated strategies for this season. There might be other tracks where KERS has a bigger benefit.

Also, it's going to be very exciting to see what the race pace and tyre wear on each car is like.

So that leaves them within half a second a lap and that's catchable over a season. And, very importantly, McLaren have the use of KERS throughout the race. Red Bull will certainly lose time and points over the season by finding themselves stuck behind a car that does have KERS, or being overtaken by the same. This supposedly brilliant idea from Red Bull might turn out to cost them - I guess whether they gain or lose overall will be determined by the kind of traffic we get with the complicated strategies for this season. There might be other tracks where KERS has a bigger benefit.

Also, it's going to be very exciting to see what the race pace and tyre wear on each car is like.

We know from testing that RB and Ferrari were pretty consistent and impressive on long runs. What was most encouraging for Mclaren was that the dropoff in tyre performance over the longer stints from Button on Friday were quite slow. Pirelli has improved the tyre, I think the negativity from testing has gotten to them, while the improvement of the tyres may well have affected Ferrari the most... negatively

Some observations:

• Brundle & DC worked beautifully as a commentary team. Nonsensical talking and random babbling seemingly gone. Like honey drops to the ears
  • Schumi still looks worse than Rosberg, and Massa still looks worse than Alonso. The tyres excuse both relied on last year is looking a little shaky already. But they still use tyres, so I am sure they can trolley that ol' excuse out..it's ignorant fans that actually believe stories about tyres....
  • Sauber and Toro-Rosso were impressive to get Q3 grid positions. Sauber's problem is making anybody care (I think it's something in the name that just sounds boring..). Good to see Kobayashi up there, and as I thought Perez has already made a good start which many people have noticed. He just needs to deliver in qualifying better. Sauber? What is that? Some type of fish? What are you on about?
  • The order of the cars in pace terms seems to be Red Bull, Mclaren (who certainly weren't sandbagging in testing), Ferrari (Alonso) followed by Renault/Mercedes, everyone else in between and then as usual the newer teams trailing. The race will tell us more about pace though and managing the tyres over a stint, and calling into the pits at the right time, might be more crucial than outright pace (maybe Ferrari/Mclaren will claw something back on one of these grounds). Like I said, McLaren is the tortoise to Red Bull's hare....what we have here is two distinct race strategies...at last!
  • Red Bull look to have an extremely good car, and probably a better performing car than last year in terms of gap to the others. I won't judge their current drivers just yet, as they may well go 1-2 in every Grand Prix for all we know, but it seems based on qualifying those kind of Mclaren '88 results are possible with two strong drivers. Everyone goes on about that season of McLaren dominence...but what about 98 where they were lapping everyone in the field, or Ferrari in the early 00's?
  • Petrov performed well in the Renault and Heidfeld had a shocker, I'm not convinced that large difference will become a trend for the season but we'll see (I refuse to believe Heidfeld is suddenly that bad, he often beat Kubica when they were team mates after all, or that Petrov is particularly good). The problem for either of them is that throughout the season, the question will persist: how much better would Kubica have done? Unless they win races in the car Heidfeld/Petrov, and Renault, will always have that hanging over them. Agree...
  • A few rookies in the field and yet some of the worst 'rookie style' errors came from Rubens, Sutil, and of course the ever determined Massa. Such is life, and can't be perfect all the time...
  • HRT's failure to qualify was hardly a surprise and we can be thankful for the sensible reintroduction of the 107% rule. They needed Bahrain and Australia to be cancelled to be anything like ready. No, they need better management...no amount of time will make up for bad management.
  • Great for us that Hamilton split the Bull's although it was more Webber's mysterious poor performance rather than a special one from Lewis. Vettel would probably prefer Webber alongside him and the notorious disaster zone of turn one will be fun tomorrow. Personally I hope Lewis makes Vettel work for it! Well, we'll find out soon enough, won't we? Yay!

Lastly, lots of rumours stemming from the fact Red Bull didn't use KERS during qualifying. Newey's latest alleged innovation: a start only KERS system which would apparently be lighter than the usual design allowing for better placement of ballast, resulting in better balance and weight distribution. The simplest ideas can be the best ideas. Do you not read threads, or do you just ignore me :(

My point on dominant cars, and drivers getting the most from them, was just a general response to something the noisy one wrote about Vettel/Webber perhaps not being the very best drivers out there (something which I'd agree with..) and the fact that the better the car, the easier to drive, the less talent you need to win. I used the '88 example as a reference for what two really strong drivers could do with a car like Red Bull seem to have at this early stage. If the car is as fast as it seems, and as good in race trim, it will be interesting to see what kind of results they get. Certainly last season Vettel dropped points through errors that others probably wouldn't have made, but he was really very young/inexperienced then and so can be forgiven and will probably improve this year. Webber has already dropped an easy 2nd place, though. We'll see how they both get on throughout the season, but at the least I expect a maturer performance from Seb and if the car is anything like as good as last season, and he wants to be held in high regard as a champion, he should walk it (like an Alonso or Hamilton probably would). Anyway, this is getting too far ahead of it all.

As for HRT, of course they need better management (although that is a very broad sort of identification of the problem I think)! I was just pointing out in the most basic practical sense that given more time, the more ready they would presumably be! Unless of course we think that HRT are doing their planning based on looking at when the GP is, then deciding to send everything to the location as late as possible regardless of how ready they actually are, in which case no amount of time would help with their 'ready-ness'). I thought even a Kiwi like you would get that :P

Lastly, I wasn't ignoring you Handyman.. I just started my post, then got interrupted (..always the bloody case..people are so inconsiderate eh???) so didn't see yours!

As George said, I think NH (that's NH Nick Heidfeld as opposed to NH Nico Hulkenberg....hey, another name row ahead! Nick Poochie? NP?) had a bad day (awfully bad, granted) but nobody seriously thinks that Petrov is so much better than NH. I have my fingers cossed for Petrov, but I still think that during the course of the season, NP will ultimately outperform the Russian (and, for the record, I'd rather see it going the other way around)

NP is not THAT bad as to be replaced by a guy that once upon a time managed a perfect lap. They need to earn as much points as possible and make as much money as possible when the season finishes. NP is a better guarantee of collecting points (which become dollars) than VP and NH. They did the right thing.

And RK will be back you'll see. You'll all see! Mwahahaha! MWAHAHAHA!!! ARGHHHHHHHHH!!! PFFFFT!! *choke*

EDIT: Got lost somewhere in the middle with the poochis, the Hulkenbergs and the Heidfelds

Agree.

I tend to agree. Nick will underwhelm imho but I heard he had a KERS problem in quali, which might explain his poor showing.

I'm also slightly surprised to see the views on RBR vs McLaren. Today was a great day for McLaren in my view. With the Ferraris seemingly quite slow, Lewis was 0.8s/lap slower than Vettel, but he had a KERS failure on his hot lap (and consequently disturbed brake balance), perhaps costing him 0.2-0.3s/lap. When you add into this the fact that McLaren probably have more easy development in the pipeline given their running has been so limited in pre-season testing, they can probably catch up another tenth or two on Red Bull without too much difficulty.

Well it's unclear yet as to whether it's a brilliant outright innovation from Red Bull, or something which they defaulted to due to an unreliable system, or if any of this is actually correct. I suppose if it was always the plan, what they'll be hoping for (and seemingly have achieved) is that their car is so good through the twisty bits that after the first lap nobody will be close enough to attack them down a straight. Of course there would still be the issue, amongst others I'm sure, if an RB started down the grid and therefore found itself in the midfield struggling to get past cars equipped with the full system and being attacked by KERS cars from behind. Certainly their drivers would miss the defensive/offensive weapon, but if they're always out front by a mile it won't matter.

I think at some point it's inevitable that they'll require a full system because the other cars will probably catch up to them. Or I suppose it's possible, although seems a little unlikely to me, that every decent team will go down that route of development and therefore Red Bull won't have an issue. The FIA might want a word too considering that if the unit is charged in the pits, then it isn't gaining any energy from braking, and is therefore at the minimum not in the spirit of the regulations or the attached green PR stuff that the FIA loves so much.

This is of course all speculative bollocks for now.

I'll take you up on that.

I think Heidfeld has always been over rated. I think BMW was biased towards setting up their team for him and Kubica showed how much better he was by equalling his results. Heidfeld is a blagger, always has been and always will be - like one of those vacuous women who has only enough brains to understand how to make their good looks work for them and never evolves any further. I don't think BMW ever realised what a great driver they had in Kubi. Heidfeld (with his less then gigantic nose) charmed his way around the team and made the garage work for him. What Kubica acheived was akin to Massa equalling Alonso in Ferrari.

Now Petrov has had 1 year in the team and he will be comfortable enough to take the lead. The car has been designed perhaps 60% around Kubica and 40% around Petrov, but not at all around the midget. Petrov's driving style is not that different from Kubi's where as the dwarf's style is different (in that it's non-descript and safe - read "slow"). Petrov will out-perform Heidfeld. He will be more erratic in his results (as an outcome of actually trying to drive fast) but he will outscore the dull German who will (as ever) pootle around in the position he finds himself in after lap 1 and pick up his unerserved pay checks.

As for everything else that everyone has said - I agree, so I shan't bother to repeat.

Haven't the FIA learnt from their original implementation of KERS two years ago?

Evidently not.

Until the FIA up the limit for KERS use per lap, it still won't be worth the compromised weight distribution.

Teams still loose as much time (through KERS adding weight where they don't want it) as they gain (from using KERS).

RB's solution is clever - bravo - and somewhat innevitable with the lap limit set as low as it is.

If the FIA wants to make this technology work, then let teams take advantage of it to it's full potential.

I'll take you up on that.

I think Heidfeld has always been over rated. I think BMW was biased towards setting up their team for him and Kubica showed how much better he was by equalling his results. Heidfeld is a blagger, always has been and always will be - like one of those vacuous women who has only enough brains to understand how to make their good looks work for them and never evolves any further. I don't think BMW ever realised what a great driver they had in Kubi. Heidfeld (with his less then gigantic nose) charmed his way around the team and made the garage work for him. What Kubica acheived was akin to Massa equalling Alonso in Ferrari.

Now Petrov has had 1 year in the team and he will be comfortable enough to take the lead. The car has been designed perhaps 60% around Kubica and 40% around Petrov, but not at all around the midget. Petrov's driving style is not that different from Kubi's where as the dwarf's style is different (in that it's non-descript and safe - read "slow"). Petrov will out-perform Heidfeld. He will be more erratic in his results (as an outcome of actually trying to drive fast) but he will outscore the dull German who will (as ever) pootle around in the position he finds himself in after lap 1 and pick up his unerserved pay checks.

As for everything else that everyone has said - I agree, so I shan't bother to repeat.

Now, I was never Heidfeld's fan, and I agree that BMW was biased toward him. But fair is fair - The team announced that Nickky had KERS problem in Q1 and that he lost a couple qualifying laps plus they had to change settings of his car which made him slow. So I will not be cackling until he screws up in 3-4 consecutive races...

Haven't the FIA learnt from their original implementation of KERS two years ago?

Evidently not.

Until the FIA up the limit for KERS use per lap, it still won't be worth the compromised weight distribution.

Teams still loose as much time (through KERS adding weight where they don't want it) as they gain (from using KERS).

RB's solution is clever - bravo - and somewhat innevitable with the lap limit set as low as it is.

If the FIA wants to make this technology work, then let teams take advantage of it to it's full potential.

Agree - I mean it's hardly green if it's not used to the utmost, now is it? And let them flip the wings whenever they want. Let the best man, with the best flip n' boost win...

Stands are pretty empty....when I was there in '08 there was no space right along the circuit in the GA's....

Schuey with out a tyre on his rim....what a silly thing to go racing without your tyres... sheesh