Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Max Mosley

Some Very Funny Comments

Lewis Hamilton sees fight with Fernando Alonso as new 'Senna v Prost'

• Hamilton casts himself as Brazilian and Alonso as Prost

• British driver relishing competition at Malaysian Grand Prix

Sebastian Vettel may be the man most likely to thwart Lewis Hamilton's hopes of a second world championship this season, but as the McLaren driver arrived in the tropical metropolis of Kuala Lumpur it was not the German on his mind but the man he describes as his "nemesis", Fernando Alonso.

"I will always think that my nemesis and my closest rival will always be Fernando," said an unusually reflective Hamilton. "Just because of my history, when I started out. I see him as my Prost, if we were [Alain] Prost and [Aryton] Senna. If you were to say 'choose a driver' [that I would like to be] I would clearly choose Ayrton. And maybe I would put him as Prost."

The rivalry between Senna and Prost, which is brilliantly captured in the new film, Senna, was one of the most bitter in all sport. The difficult relationship between Hamilton and Alonso in 2007, when the Spaniard was unsettled and ultimately driven from McLaren by Hamilton's rookie brilliance, had its moments, too. Hamilton, probably, has never received proper credit for his performances that season, when he missed the championship by a single point.

But is not Vettel his true nemesis now? "I don't think so. If he continues to have a car like he does now then, maybe, but I think when we get equal pace then we will see some serious racing. Maybe he [Vettel] is the new Mansell? Not that I would rate him like I do Mansell." Ouch.

But with the next race, in Malaysia, almost two weeks away Hamilton is less concerned with racing rivals than his relationship with his family. He is close, once more, with his father and former manager Anthony. And this week he will return to England to see his brother Nicolas, who has cerebral palsy, race for the first time.

"I can't miss my brother's first race [at Brands Hatch next weekend]. It's OK. I can sleep on the flight. I can still stay in this time zone. I'll just head back to see his qualifying and race and then pop back out. It's cool. I'll get to watch lots of movies on the plane.

"Me and my brother are close. I mean, everyone has their situations in life, but it has been tough for him. I can understand what he has been through because I am the closest person to him, but even I cannot comprehend what it must have been like to have the difficulties he has had. And now he gets to have the opportunity to live the dream himself. Me and my dad will be there."

The relationship between Hamilton and his father has been strained for the past year, since Hamilton decided that he no longer wanted Anthony to manage his affairs. But they have been closer in recent months and were seen together at the Australian Grand Prix. Anthony now manages the latest British FI hope, Paul di Resta.

"This weekend has been great. I don't know whether you saw me and my dad spent a lot of time together. I asked him if he would like to be on the grid with me and he said 'I would love to do that'. It just felt fantastic this weekend.

"I felt the support that my dad gave me – it was the same as he has always given me but without the stress. I said to him 'I know you have to go down the other end of the grid' and he said 'No. Paul understands that I want to be up this end as well.'

"My dad was just there as my dad. He has always given me immense support, but I think it was support mixed with some stress. But this time it was just 'I'm so proud to see you out there' and it was just fantastic. Really, really great. Things are pretty good. Great times and they can only get better."

Then, suddenly, it was back to racing. "Finally I've got something I can fight with, something I can take the fight to the Bulls with," he said, following McLaren's revival in Melbourne and his second place.

"Malaysia is a massive downforce track so you're going to see Red Bull as quick if not quicker. But I have no doubts our car can be competitive as well."

Meanwhile, the McLaren team principal, Martin Whitmarsh, said: "We leave here [Melbourne] knowing we had a car capable of taking two places on the podium. It was genuine pace. Both drivers and the team had a difficult winter and it is fantastic to come out of it that strong. We have to dig deep, it's a long championship and we have to improve race by race."

:lol:

Some very insightful analysis from Lewis, as always. Like Senna, he has so much spare capacity that he can give interviews like this while walking round the paddock.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/mar/28/lewis-hamilton-ayrton-senna-alain-prost

He should never have had his Dad as his manager. Family should be family, and business left as business. Mix the two, and one will hurt the other.

I've always thought Lewis to be grounded because of his brother. I hope the UK press doesn't do some beat up story on Nicholas if he crashes or something. To be racing under his conditions is pretty amazing. That's a real racer there.

The Press can paint any picture they want of Lewis, make him a villain or a saint, or somewhere in between, but it's 90% made up by them to sell tomorrows fish n chips wrapper. I think if you actually had the chance to sit down and chat with him, he'd be a guy with a big heart, someone you found loyal, and someone that would leave an impression on you. Someone not too unlike yourself. Just the b#####d gets to play hide the sausage with a pussycat doll....

He should never have had his Dad as his manager. Family should be family, and business left as business. Mix the two, and one will hurt the other.

I've always thought Lewis to be grounded because of his brother. I hope the UK press doesn't do some beat up story on Nicholas if he crashes or something. To be racing under his conditions is pretty amazing. That's a real racer there.

The Press can paint any picture they want of Lewis, make him a villain or a saint, or somewhere in between, but it's 90% made up by them to sell tomorrows fish n chips wrapper. I think if you actually had the chance to sit down and chat with him, he'd be a guy with a big heart, someone you found loyal, and someone that would leave an impression on you. Someone not too unlike yourself. Just the b#####d gets to play hide the sausage with a pussycat doll....

To both you and Muzza: actually, if you read t he continuous interviews in Spanish from Nando you would arrive at the same conclussion.

This is the first interview on Lewis I read that is like the ones I read about Nando and I liked it very much. And I agree 100% with it. (Of course, Hamilton is no Ayrton and Alonso is no Prost but we all understood what he meant by that). It is also refreshing to read Lewis saying anything that didn't sound like asslicking to his team or the press. That is what they feed us and that is why you can't see but a cardboard image of the guy. Same happens with Nando. When you have the opportunity to read a lot more stuff you know the guy beyond the PR crap and they are usually more likeable that way.

Good work, Muzza, that was good reading :D

He's a bit stupid if you ask me. Senna died, Prost had more championships. Duh.

Though I disliked him with a vengeance, Prost (to me) will always be the better driver.

Just shut up and get on with it Lewis.

But is not Vettel his true nemesis now? "I don't think so. If he continues to have a car like he does now then, maybe, but I think when we get equal pace then we will see some serious racing. Maybe he [Vettel] is the new Mansell? Not that I would rate him like I do Mansell." Ouch.

Hmm, maybe a bit of humble pie is required. Bad talking the guy who has beaten him in the last three years? Wouldn't expect anything less of course.

As for the Prost/Senna thing, he's living in a dreamland. Bad move.

Very good reading. Give him a car as fast as Red Bull's and Vettel would go nowhere.

I disagree. I think Vettel is quicker than Hamilton. Maybe Hamilton is a more complete driver, but Vettel is clearly faster in my opinion.

He's a bit stupid if you ask me. Senna died, Prost had more championships. Duh.

Though I disliked him with a vengeance, Prost (to me) will always be the better driver.

Just shut up and get on with it Lewis.

:thbup::thbup::thbup::thbup::thbup::thbup::thbup::thbup::thbup::thbup::thbup::thbup:

The Press can paint any picture they want of Nando, make him a villain or a saint, or somewhere in between, but it's 90% made up by them to sell tomorrows fish n chips wrapper. I think if you actually had the chance to sit down and chat with him, he'd be a guy with a big heart, someone you found loyal, and someone that would leave an impression on you. Someone not too unlike yourself.

:thbup:

I disagree. I think Vettel is quicker than Hamilton. Maybe Hamilton is a more complete driver, but Vettel is clearly faster in my opinion.

I don't get carried away with the so called being faster, I don't remember a race where Vettel started from the back that I got impressed.

He's been a good pole2win driver so far. I'm not saying he's miles away from Hamilton. He's a very good driver and I think he's very good racing in the rain. He's young and maybe this season he starts performing in the way I expect him to. If so I will rate him accordingly.

If Red Bull get as many poles as last year he'll win the championship, no doubt about it. If McLaren and/or Ferrari have a car as good as RB7 he won't. Fortunately we will know soon as Malaysia is the best benchmark track. If they have an easy race there, the Championship will be virtually his.

Interesting interview and funny to see that Lewis recognises Alonso and himself in the same categories and styles as many fans do, in terms of the Senna/Prost comparisons.

Hmm, maybe a bit of humble pie is required. Bad talking the guy who has beaten him in the last three years? Wouldn't expect anything less of course.

As for the Prost/Senna thing, he's living in a dreamland. Bad move.

Difficult to tell which is faster, although I doubt there is all that much in it. They're both two of the fastest drivers in F1. Anybody who thinks Vettel isn't an extremely quick driver is very much mistaken. Over a championship season, if Ham and Vettel had similarly matched cars, other things would probably be decisive rather than outright pace. I think there are more question marks over Seb's racecraft rather than his speed, for example. Anyway, I really hope we get to see that battle this year.

On an another note I've noticed already that Vettel is becoming "the guy people hate because he's winning", in the mould of Schumacher.

:thbup:

Nicely done (and you could have put almost anyone there instead of Lewis). Our ideas about drivers, and other things, are almost always too simplistic because we like to have things in categories. It's quite rare in sport that you find anyone who actually deserves the criticism they get. Biaggi, perhaps.

Interesting interview and funny to see that Lewis recognises Alonso and himself in the same categories and styles as many fans do, in terms of the Senna/Prost comparisons.

Difficult to tell which is faster, although I doubt there is all that much in it. They're both two of the fastest drivers in F1. Anybody who thinks Vettel isn't an extremely quick driver is very much mistaken. Over a championship season, if Ham and Vettel had similarly matched cars, other things would probably be decisive rather than outright pace. I think there are more question marks over Seb's racecraft rather than his speed, for example. Anyway, I really hope we get to see that battle this year.

On an another note I've noticed already that Vettel is becoming "the guy people hate because he's winning", in the mould of Schumacher.

Nicely done (and you could have put almost anyone there instead of Lewis):thbup: . Our ideas about drivers, and other things, are almost always too simplistic because we like to have things in categories. It's quite rare in sport that you find anyone who actually deserves the criticism they get. Biaggi, perhaps.

LOL

Its probably just me George, but I don't dislike Vettel because he's "winning in the mould of Schumacher" - he's not. He's won one championship, he's not winning all of the races and its far too early this season to make a comment. I don't see Lewis and Alonso as a Senna and Prost. I see them as Lewis and Alonso, completely different drivers to either or any of the old timers. That's why I like them both.

Vettel is a nice kid. He's awesomely talented. He's also a whiny mouthpiece at times. I don't know why I'm not his biggest fan but it's not because I think he thinks he's the next Schumacher.

Its probably just me George, but I don't dislike Vettel because he's "winning in the mould of Schumacher" - he's not. He's won one championship, he's not winning all of the races and its far too early this season to make a comment. I don't see Lewis and Alonso as a Senna and Prost. I see them as Lewis and Alonso, completely different drivers to either or any of the old timers. That's why I like them both.

Vettel is a nice kid. He's awesomely talented. He's also a whiny mouthpiece at times. I don't know why I'm not his biggest fan but it's not because I think he thinks he's the next Schumacher.

Well, I doubt it is just you :P Vettel has fans aplenty and not everyone who watches sport instinctively dislikes the guy who's winning. But watch those quotes there, I didn't say Seb was winning like Schumi (he hasn't had the time and isn't that good, after all). I meant that Seb is the guy who is starting to show signs of being dominant, and more and more I see people responding negatively to him and I think that might be at least part of why. I mean, like you said, he is a nice guy and obviously talented and already a decent champ, so why is it that people dislike him? It seems no matter what, if somebody is winning people will turn against them. No matter what they're like or what they do, a certain person will always find something to dislike in a driver. The media of course is not helpful. But even the same ideas may be true for Red Bull, everybody likes it when a new team, an underdog, rises up and beats Macca and Ferrari. But if they do it again this year? I expect people will start to resent them for it, yet when it was just Mclaren/Ferrari people cried out for someone to challenge the older, established teams, and have more than two guys competing for the title. People like when an outsider comes in and wins, as long as they don't start dominating. If Red Bull dominate this year the love for Mclaren and Ferrari will probably reach new heights.

Of course my posts on these matters are just "thinking out loud" kind of posts not based on solid facts, and more things to be aware of, rather than absolute truths or anything like that.

As for the Hamilton/Alonso, Senna/Prost comparisons, obviously it's subjective so some people see it that way and others don't. Personally from what I've seen I feel they are all completely different people, with perhaps a few similarities in the way they each approach(ed) the races, so I can see why the comparisons exist at least.

Burp

Lost my train of thought...toot toot...chugga-chugga, chugga-chugga, toot toot

People will respond negatively to Vettel because he is German. That is the only reason he will be disliked for being a winner. It has nothing to do with how much he is winning or anything like that.

People will respond negatively to Vettel because he is German. That is the only reason he will be disliked for being a winner. It has nothing to do with how much he is winning or anything like that.

I disagree. People dislike Vettel because 1. He comes off as arrogant when he does win and 2. Has proved conclusively that he can't handle a bad car and does not qualify as the complete article. Ergo, he is only as good as his car, which is English, is owned by an Austrian and has a French engine tuned in Canada. I think the fact he is German is mostly irrelevant.

I disagree. People dislike Vettel because 1. He comes off as arrogant when he does win and 2. Has proved conclusively that he can't handle a bad car and does not qualify as the complete article. Ergo, he is only as good as his car, which is English, is owned by an Austrian and has a French engine tuned in Canada. I think the fact he is German is mostly irrelevant.

but he won in a Torro Rosso, albeit in wet conditions. Which bad car could'nt he handle?

Edit: Is'nt it also known that Vettel is loved by the paddock an is an allround nice guy. I don't think he comes off as arrogant, rather very positive. He's been making those winning gestures since he won his first race, pretty consistent in his character.

What if I said the only reason anyone could like Vettel would be because he's German? What that be true too?

Absurd.

Your statement says more about you than anyone else.

I think he would have won last year much earlier if he were as good as his car. Put him at the back with his amazing car and see what he's able to then I might say he's an amazing F1 racer. I don't mind if he's a bit arrogant, they all are and they have to take a lot of BS from the media, experts, fans, etc. when they lose.

What if I said the only reason anyone could like Vettel would be because he's German? What that be true too?

Absurd.

Indeedily

I disagree. People dislike Vettel because 1. He comes off as arrogant when he does win and 2. Has proved conclusively that he can't handle a bad car and does not qualify as the complete article.

Bolllocks. He's 22. And those are very flimsy reasons for disliking him, you're just proving my point by providing such pathetic excuses for disliking him.

The stupidity of your posts says more about your stupidity than anything else. Have we got pathetic name calling out of the way or are we going to have a full on slanging match? Seriously how stupid are you to respond to a perfectly reasonable post with a personal attack? What the f#ck is your problem? You're pathetic.

Schumacher faced very clear discrimination among both F1 'fans' and the english press, mainly due to his nationality, perceived 'German' characteristics - he was described as arrogant, teutonic, robotic, soulless etc. And now judging by the very thin reasons peolpe give for being against Vettel, the same ugliness is rearing its head. Look at insider's post above - Vettel has achieved far more than Hamilton did at his age, yet we have a rant about how Vettel is not 'complete'. With Kubeetza out, he is more complete than anyone else around, and that's saying quite a lot.

It's the small minded twat's that dislike someone because of their race/nationality. But for the first time in my life, I'm going to defend Cav's comment. People did dislike Schumacher because he is German. It's a fact. May have been a small minority due to the amount of fans he had. I didn't care where he was born. I admired his ability to get people to do things his way. Vettel is German and there are some people that do compare him to MS for that very reason. They associate the two because they are the same nationality.

I honestly don't know why I'm not Vettel's biggest fan. I can't put my finger on it. Hand on heart, it's not because he's German. But at the same time Cavallino, people DO think he's arrogant, prissy, incomplete (I do understand your point about incompleteness) but it was a little harsh your response to Insider. He's not necessarily talking about his own feelings toward Vettel, but generalising why people may not like him. It's the truth.

So. I actually appreciate that Cav brought up the nationality issue. People do think that. He didn't say it was what he thought himself. Cut him some slack.

So. I actually appreciate that Cav brought up the nationality issue. People do think that. He didn't say it was what he thought himself. Cut him some slack.

People don't like Alonso because he's Spanish? Cav don't like Alonso. :unsure:

It's the small minded twat's that dislike someone because of their race/nationality. But for the first time in my life, I'm going to defend Cav's comment. People did dislike Schumacher because he is German. It's a fact. May have been a small minority due to the amount of fans he had. I didn't care where he was born. I admired his ability to get people to do things his way. Vettel is German and there are some people that do compare him to MS for that very reason. They associate the two because they are the same nationality.

I honestly don't know why I'm not Vettel's biggest fan. I can't put my finger on it. Hand on heart, it's not because he's German. But at the same time Cavallino, people DO think he's arrogant, prissy, incomplete (I do understand your point about incompleteness) but it was a little harsh your response to Insider. He's not necessarily talking about his own feelings toward Vettel, but generalising why people may not like him. It's the truth.

Strange, I've never come across anyone who disliked Schumie because he is german, as a matter of fact, I have never seen or heard so many people from all walks of life endear themselves towards Schumacher as a winner. NOT ONCE had I personnaly encountered someone who hated him because he's german, but maybe it's just because of demographics. So, what has this taught me. Schumie was a WINNER first and foremost. He not only knew what it took to win, but build up a formidable team with so many different nationalities that operated like no other team had ever had, and will do I feel. His most loyal fans were that of another nation, the most endearing of fans worldwide, the tifosi. All aspects and characteristics as to why he's such a winner are like "by-products" evidents of facts as to what makes his THAT good. Hating Schumie because he's winning and blaming it on him being german is a by-product, a secondary aspect because they can't cope with the fact with what he's achieved. It's like being a racist which has nothing to do about the colour of the person's skin but about self-esteem. In advertising we call it the central human truth. To me Schumacher embodies what the human body can/could achieve at the higest point of racing, and him being german has no place in it.

I see the same thing happening with Vettel nowadays. People don't hate him cause his german, they hate him cause he's WINNING. He has disrupted the order of things. He has broken records that their fav drivers were suppose to have. and I tell you what, they are scared of what he still going to achieve! Look at all the nonsense going on about the RBR front wing flexing issue, it derives from the fact that the team is winning!

If people really disliked Schumie or Vettel because they're german then they must be very stupid people indeed. I would not want to associate myself with them and hopefully there are only a small amount of them living on this planet earth.

Nicely done (and you could have put almost anyone there instead of Lewis). Our ideas about drivers, and other things, are almost always too simplistic because we like to have things in categories. It's quite rare in sport that you find anyone who actually deserves the criticism they get. Biaggi, perhaps.

:lol:

Well, I doubt it is just you :P Vettel has fans aplenty and not everyone who watches sport instinctively dislikes the guy who's winning. But watch those quotes there, I didn't say Seb was winning like Schumi (he hasn't had the time and isn't that good, after all). I meant that Seb is the guy who is starting to show signs of being dominant, and more and more I see people responding negatively to him and I think that might be at least part of why. I mean, like you said, he is a nice guy and obviously talented and already a decent champ, so why is it that people dislike him? It seems no matter what, if somebody is winning people will turn against them. No matter what they're like or what they do, a certain person will always find something to dislike in a driver. The media of course is not helpful. But even the same ideas may be true for Red Bull, everybody likes it when a new team, an underdog, rises up and beats Macca and Ferrari. But if they do it again this year? I expect people will start to resent them for it, yet when it was just Mclaren/Ferrari people cried out for someone to challenge the older, established teams, and have more than two guys competing for the title. People like when an outsider comes in and wins, as long as they don't start dominating. If Red Bull dominate this year the love for Mclaren and Ferrari will probably reach new heights.

Of course my posts on these matters are just "thinking out loud" kind of posts not based on solid facts, and more things to be aware of, rather than absolute truths or anything like that.

As for the Hamilton/Alonso, Senna/Prost comparisons, obviously it's subjective so some people see it that way and others don't. Personally from what I've seen I feel they are all completely different people, with perhaps a few similarities in the way they each approach(ed) the races, so I can see why the comparisons exist at least.

:thbup: agreed

shhh don't mention the war! :P