Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Apologies To Heidfeld And Compliments To The Prophet For Foreseeing His Great Driving In This Thread Please

I agree with SG, mostly.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=_VLdPDo6mP4

Plenty of overtakes around the outside here, and after the second lap, too :P

The reason you can't think of any exciting moments is because you already have an opinion of him, so when he does do something good or something which doesn't fit your opinion, you don't register it because it's only Heidfeld, whereas if someone else had done the same you'd think 'that was a decent move', or whatever.

Sorry - no youtube in china :(

I think you're right about my opinion of Heidfeld being fairly fixed. But I think that's reasonable after 170 races watching him being dull.

I tend to think that one exciting race from him (which Malaysia wasn't) detracts very little from his overall dullness.

I work on an average perception of a driver's abilities - 170 dull races + 1 exciting one does not an exciting driver make.

Many people hold up Malaysia as proof that he's not dull at all, which of course he still is.

The claim that Heidfeld hasn't been involved in any exciting overtaking moves is a valid point as long as you take into consideration that the majority of drivers who raced with him did not perform many exciting overtaking manoeuvres as well. For all of Heidfeld's F1 career we had strategies built around refuelling pit stops and the majority of drivers would simply hope to have a couple of laps extra fuel over a rival, put in their fast laps after the guy in front had pitted, and if all things worked correctly, you'd have jumped him in the pits. It happened race after race for year after year. We were living off starvation rations in terms of excitment. Hopefully those days are in the past and we should enjoy what we have been presented with over these last few years and hopefully this includes 2011.

Yes - you are right. Many other drivers are dull too and the last few seasons have lent themselves to boring racing and dull style driving. In recent times Trulli, Buemi and a few others have been just as dull as NH - he's not the only one.

Just so we are clear then; In your opinion, a driver can risk it all at the start of a race but it means nothing because a race does not start proper until lap 2? Yes, anything can happen, but only if a driver makes it happen. You think he just cruised into second place because he lucked it?
Yes - race starts are race starts. Hook up a good one and you'll make places up. In what way do you think he 'risked it all' at the start of Malaysia compared to any other driver on the grid?

A an aside - it's interesting that renault have hooked up 4 great starts out of 4 this year - they're obviously doing something right.

And don't try that patronising 'tut tut' bull sh!t with me, matey. You p!ssed me right off with that.

My apologies.

One race result does not a legend make. I will wait until the close of the season before I cast my opinions on the performances of the drivers.

Yep - let's take into account the years of boredom to which NH has subjected us before we start praising him as anything special.

He might win the World Championship and I won't rate him as an exciting racing driver unless he puts me at the edge of the chair other than just for holding up masterfully other drivers or passing a few cars at the start of a Grand Prix. I understand why many teams would like to have Heidfeld sitting in one car but I don't care enough to have a serious debate about Heidfeld.

Indeed.

Well arseface, in 2006 on the night of the race he did an unpleasant number 2 on the second Lesmo after a dodgy pizza. :)

That was outstanding! Especially as he was mooning out of the passenger window of the safety car going 90MPH at the time.

Video on www.iamaboringdriverbutiSh#tlikeacheetah.com :D

:clap3:
There, there Dribs. Now you go sit down and I'll get Adam to sit on the naughty step and think hard about what he has done :D

I don't like it here - can I go back to the froliccing couch? :unsure:

I'm only seeing the feed and journalism from a British perspective, maybe the German TV and media has a different spin on things, but it is easy to categorise and pigeon hole drivers based on the lazy journalism that we can be subjected to.

Precisely. There was a thread on autosport about this (http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=145393), that the quality of F1 journalism is universally appalling. It is awful and biased in just about every country in Europe, but it's only the Engllish language 1 press that is so influential, the poor biased British coverage is translated or copy pasted in countries with either no local F1 press to speak of or where the local language is english anyway.

Sorry - no youtube in china :(

I think you're right about my opinion of Heidfeld being fairly fixed. But I think that's reasonable after 170 races watching him being dull.

I tend to think that one exciting race from him (which Malaysia wasn't) detracts very little from his overall dullness.

I work on an average perception of a driver's abilities - 170 dull races + 1 exciting one does not an exciting driver make.

Many people hold up Malaysia as proof that he's not dull at all, which of course he still is.

I tihnk your opinion isn't just fairly fixed, it is cast in stone, something you will stubbornly adhere to even when it flies in the face of everything. Now you'e moved the goalposts, after asking for one example and getting many, you say the example isn't good enough, or just ignore the posts that contradict your religious belief in his ineptness like you did with my post above.

Nick is a quality driver, always has been. Remember, he isn't paying for his seat. He has a solid reputation and CV and he is doing the job he was hired for. He has knocked the rust off in super quick time and if he 'lucked' into a podium, so be it. That's F1, people - no quarter given, none expected.

In what way do you think he 'risked it all' at the start of Malaysia compared to any other driver on the grid?

Driving around the outside of the front runners, fag paper between himself and Lewis, potential to be squeezed and lose his nose going into turn two.

My apologies.

No problem, twatface. :naughty:

Driving around the outside of the front runners, fag paper between himself and Lewis, potential to be squeezed and lose his nose going into turn two.

It was a nice start yes. But I see several drivers getting nice starts every GP. Making up 3 places at the start and then losing one during the rest of the race still doesn't make Nick an exciting driver to me. In fact Petrov and Schumacher also made 3 places up in the first lap. If he does that every 5 or so races for the rest of the season then I may start to change my mind. Does that sound fair?

Like I keep saying - I judge a driver's ability on their performances throughout their F1 career - not just one race start. Nick has had enough time to show something but has not been particularly outstanding over his 170 races. But he's not the only one and he could still change that. Right now - I still think he's a boring driver - you won't convince me otherwise - only he can do that.

Perhaps I should give examples of drivers that I think ARE exciting...

• Kubica
  • Hamilton
  • Kobayashi
  • Perez (so far)
  • Schumi pre 2010

Most of the rest of the field are fairly average (excitement-wise) or too new to really judge fairly.

Then a few drivers IMO are boring...

• Heidfeld
  • Trulli
  • Buemi

Adam, I owe you an apology; I called you arseface. When, of course we all know you are twat-face. I apologise for this error, not the first time I have confused an arse with a twat :D

I don't like it here - can I go back to the froliccing couch? :unsure:
Not right now, Steph is on it currently frollicking with Andres (you know what she is like) :) Andres, just insist she uses some Veet first - that stubble leaves a nasty rash :D

Adam, I owe you an apology; I called you arseface. When, of course we all know you are twat-face. I apologise for this error, not the first time I have confused an arse with a twat :D
AF1 just doesn't have the same ring*.

(*extremely crude double entendre intended)