Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

I Was Just Driving Along When....

Like a bad movie...

Crazy.

Do the V8s have anything in the fuel cell area in terms of thermally-activated extinguishers/those panels that release that stuff when they're crushed/etc.? Just wondering; I know they do in NASCAR, and it certainly doesn't look like there was anything (or anything useful) in that one.

Wow.

Motorsport never fails to amaze me through the great racing, brilliantly driving, and sometimes, the shocking images of accidents. This one happened today, at Imola, 17 years after the world of racing lost Ratzenberger and Senna.

Thankfully, all drivers involved were fine.

I think they need a bigger broom....

....quite a ride. Indeed.

Like a bad movie...

Crazy.

Do the V8s have anything in the fuel cell area in terms of thermally-activated extinguishers/those panels that release that stuff when they're crushed/etc.? Just wondering; I know they do in NASCAR, and it certainly doesn't look like there was anything (or anything useful) in that one.

Wow.

They have ATL fuelcells and the like. However they are placed in the boot, next to tail lights that still work, unlike NASCAR where the lights are painted on. Doesn't take much for an electrical spark to set fuel on fire. They don't have thermal ignitors, as far as I am aware, but they do have driver operated extinguisher systems with nozzles over the engine, driver and boot. Not that they are much use when crunched like that. It does seem that drivers are adverse to pushing the buttons in any event anyway. Just look at Heikki in Singapore whom got out of the car, picked up an extinguisher and then sprayed his engine which was on fire. All he really had to do was push a button in the c#ckpit...however that would mean his overalls and helmet would get covered in powder. Me? I'll be pulling the lever...who cares about some white dust on the overalls?

Notice a trend in this thread James or Eric????

Just the three amigos again....are we the only three that watch motorsport around these parts?

Just the three amigos again....are we the only three that watch motorsport around these parts?

don't worry, I'm keeping a useful eye :naughty::P

It seems most people fail to recognise that motorsport goes further than just F1. Shame. In fact, I'd say there's a few championships I'm enjoying more than F1 this year, hence why I only post in this forum.

Generalisations are reckless. I imagine "most people" know motorsport goes further than F1 (especially on a racing forum), but few people have the time or inclination to watch lots of series'. Different categories attract different people for different reasons, and what one may find interesting in BTCC or Indycar is completely boring to another, and what a person dislikes about F1 another loves, and it shouldn't be any different. Point is, nobody has the absolute truth on what is interesting or not, or what is better, and nobody should try and take some kind of fan high ground based on the fact they watch one series over another, or watch more categories than someone else.

And they only come in when you say something out of turn. :rolleyes:

Well, at least you admit it was out of turn :P Nah, like Brad, I've been watching the thread (literally..). I just can't be bothered to search for crash videos! I always think the rally crashes look the most spectacular though.

Generalisations are reckless. I imagine "most people" know motorsport goes further than F1 (especially on a racing forum), but few people have the time or inclination to watch lots of series'. Different categories attract different people for different reasons, and what one may find interesting in BTCC or Indycar is completely boring to another, and what a person dislikes about F1 another loves, and it shouldn't be any different. Point is, nobody has the absolute truth on what is interesting or not, or what is better, and nobody should try and take some kind of fan high ground based on the fact they watch one series over another, or watch more categories than someone else.

:thbup:

A good fan watches F1 and respects the level of talent and amount of fan access in NASCAR, even if they don't enjoy/watch it.

A bad fan watches NASCAR and blindly labels F1 boring Eurotrash.

(Thinking about that, I've just described Handy and myself :P).

Bloody Eurotrash poster from Pardiso Merseyside.....harumpf....where's our shotgun Sheila...???

Hit fence at 9-seconds

Put hi-viz on at 38-seconds

Put out yellow flage at 41-seconds

WHAT THE!!!

A car just jumps the rails...and the marshalls do NOTHING for half a minute, and then it's like....oh...Shirl...better put your sandwich down and stick a flag out...try that yellow one I think....

ABYSMAL is a word that springs to mind...even the guy in orange hi-viz is just looking into the trees at the wrecked car....I guess he was going...oi! Mate...you want a sandwich? Shirl's making ham and cheese....

I'm not sure if this policy was used at Spa, but I heard an interview with a marshal at Thruxton after a heavy crash during one of the BTCC support races, and he said that marshals count to ten before doing anything, to protect themselves from debris or whatever. Perhaps that is what was used here, seeing as the car ended up where marshals were.

Do they all count to ten, one after the other?...It was 30-seconds before anyone seemed to do anything.

If that was here, the flag would have been waving before the last bit of debris had stopped spinning.

Not sure what gave you that idea, James. Anyone who reads your posts knows your passion for all aspects of motor racing, and a variety of disciplines within the sport.

Especially the discipline of crashing :D

How many cars are in that race? A million?