Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eduan

Vettel Equal To Senna??

Dribbler after reading both yours and DPR's posts, please don't all hate me, but I thought of Kimi. Some say Vettel is fast, but the '05 version of the Kimster was honestly the fastest driver I've seen since the Senna days. Mention of Hamilton as a driver who stuck it in the barrier to win at all costs, you can't look no further then Kimi '05 Nurburgring. At absolute classic race for me. Suzuka, another all time classic. How about Spa '08. Kimi almost had that, and if he dialed it down a little like Vettel and others, I think he would have beaten Hamilton. But he took it to the max, and spun off in the wet. Ok, now that I got that out of my system, on with the original topic at hand.

Vettel is fast, but as I've just mentioned above he's not in the all time fast club here. He's certainly a better driver and I think intelligent than last year. Last year we saw a more unrefined Vettel, this year it's measured. Probably more akin to Alonso '06 actually. Hamilton is also fast no doubt, but after a few years he's very much a better and complete driver.

On their given days, Massa and Webber can be fast too, but their problem is when they are not fast they can be terrible. It's not necessarily how great you are on your good days that wins WDCs, but how you can recover on your bad days. I don't know what's up with Alonso this year, but if Kimi took all the criticism from people here and elsewhere for his '09 performances, then you can say Alonso if he keeps doing what he's doing, is going to be delivered some heavy critique.

JPM always reminded me of Mansell. Sometimes rough, but you could see his balls at all times and appreciated even if he didn't pull something off, he was giving it his all.

But at the end of the day, we can never compare Senna with anyone other than his contemporaries. Different tech, different rules/regs, totally different cars in terms of mechanical vs aero grip and so on. There's no way anyone will be able to pull off some of the things Senna did like crashing into Prost on purpose and get away with it. I guess that ads to Senna's aura somewhat in that he was at times completely untouchable.

Dribbler after reading both yours and DPR's posts, please don't all hate me, but I thought of Kimi. Some say Vettel is fast, but the '05 version of the Kimster was honestly the fastest driver I've seen since the Senna days. Mention of Hamilton as a driver who stuck it in the barrier to win at all costs, you can't look no further then Kimi '05 Nurburgring. At absolute classic race for me. Suzuka, another all time classic. How about Spa '08. Kimi almost had that, and if he dialed it down a little like Vettel and others, I think he would have beaten Hamilton. But he took it to the max, and spun off in the wet. Ok, now that I got that out of my system, on with the original topic at hand.

Good examples. I still hate you though.

I thought of Montoya. Those gung-ho moments of his were always brilliant to witness.

Also, Jean Alesi. If his passion could have powered that engine, he'd have been a multi-champ. I think he's the one driver (for me) that absolutely had the talent and it was a shame he never won a championship.

I thought of Montoya. Those gung-ho moments of his were always brilliant to witness.

Also, Jean Alesi. If his passion could have powered that engine, he'd have been a multi-champ. I think he's the one driver (for me) that absolutely had the talent and it was a shame he never won a championship.

Ah Jean Alesi... who can forget his World Championship performance in Melbourne 1997.......

(he ran out of fuel) :D

Speaking of almost, what about Hill almost winning in an Arrows!! I was so sad for him when it didn't work out.

Indeed. I almost stopped laughing.

Speaking of almost, what about Hill almost winning in an Arrows!! I was so sad for him when it didn't work out.

Aye. Me too. But he did win in a Jordan. Bet that wiped the smirk from some smug fans faces.

Almost.

Spammer :P