Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadow Concept

Spanish Gp

Or it could be a target to aim for?

I'm not sure it's a case of him not daring to go where Vettel does, in the side by side video of their qualifying laps last week he was quicker than Vettel in a few corners. Maybe an issue with his setup or confidence in his set up?

However, I do believe Vettel is in purple patch right now and is in a slightly different league at the moment.

Vettel is the man to beat again, no doubt about that. Actually think this weekend's race is going to be the most competitive so far though. Red Bull and McLaren to continue their dominance, but Ferrai are in the mix again after the last race. Don't rule out an Alonso win - he is in his home country, after all.

While we are on the SPanish GP - some classic moments from races gone by here.

Let's hope it is a race to remember this weekend. Got all the makings of another classic, I have to say.

Hard to believe it is 15 years since Schumi's great win in the wet there. The races aren't always great at Catalunya but hopefully we'll get a good one this year to keep the great start to the season going.

Vettel is the man to beat again, no doubt about that. Actually think this weekend's race is going to be the most competitive so far though. Red Bull and McLaren to continue their dominance, but Ferrai are in the mix again after the last race. Don't rule out an Alonso win - he is in his home country, after all.

I see nothing 'dominant' about McLaren right now.

No driver should be more able to win their home race than any other. All that does is question their ability to be motivated elsewhere.

Ah, yes...those momentous races at Spain.

Speaking of which, I think it is relevant to bring some other memories of the venerable Catalunya Circuit.

Catalunya has always been famous for the snorefest races as the drivers run so many test laps there they know every tiny piece of tarmac and every single blade of grass by name, surname and nickname. Still, the circuit has produced some dear memories for me.

One thing I miss the most are the potent V10s of times past. How could we forget the unmistakable snoring sound of the spectators at the time? Nowadays, the snores are only less powerful, but also articially limited.

Catalunya was not without its share of controversy, at the same time. Let's not forget that Renault had their snore dampers ruled as illegal as requested by, among others, Ferrari and Schumacher which thought that it was unfair for Renault to have a device to damp down their snoring whereas Schumi had to resort to a special sidepod so Jean Todt could hold his nostrils together everytime he started to snore.

Or how could we forget last year's McLaren Snore Duct, which allowed drivers to control their snoring with their knees (Something my gf actuallly did with me as well, via judicious application of pressure with her knee on my gonads.)

I think this year's DRS will produce many interesting changes in the great Spanish Sonrefest. It all comes down to when will they allow us to snore (the "DRS snoring zones").

Ah, yes...those momentous races at Spain.

Speaking of which, I think it is relevant to bring some other memories of the venerable Catalunya Circuit.

Catalunya has always been famous for the snorefest races as the drivers run so many test laps there they know every tiny piece of tarmac and every single blade of grass by name, surname and nickname. Still, the circuit has produced some dear memories for me.

One thing I miss the most are the potent V10s of times past. How could we forget the unmistakable snoring sound of the spectators at the time? Nowadays, the snores are only less powerful, but also articially limited.

Catalunya was not without its share of controversy, at the same time. Let's not forget that Renault had their snore dampers ruled as illegal as requested by, among others, Ferrari and Schumacher which thought that it was unfair for Renault to have a device to damp down their snoring whereas Schumi had to resort to a special sidepod so Jean Todt could hold his nostrils together everytime he started to snore.

Or how could we forget last year's McLaren Snore Duct, which allowed drivers to control their snoring with their knees (Something my gf actuallly did with me as well, via judicious application of pressure with her knee on my gonads.)

I think this year's DRS will produce many interesting changes in the great Spanish Sonrefest. It all comes down to when will they allow us to snore (the "DRS snoring zones").

yawn.gif

One of the most difficult tracks of he year should prove where is everyone at the moment. Red Bull will increase it lap advantage as last year. Who wil be third?

Who wil be third?

What matters for the championship is who should not be first.

A first for Hamilton or Alonso (maybe Webber or Button) would bring some excitement for another couple of races.

First,second and third place for Schumi. Ahh, there are no good old drivers, but there are good old times.

(I mean , young michael,of course)

something about new ferrari ugrades for ferrari fans(it is tranlated by google-translator,original article is in german): The new exhaust solution was already to admire Massas Ferrari in the Friday session of Istanbul . The pipe is narrower and longer, and flows like the Red Bull just ahead of the rear wheels. Ferrari has recently completed a rear crash test. This speaks for a new gearbox. Also an indication that the rear area of aerodynamics to be compact for the sake. Because the transmission must keep recently five races, a change without penalty is only possible in Monte Carlo. For the Monaco GP, Ferrari announced the third part of his large stage.

At 830 metres it is the longest DRS zone seen so far and the FIA hopes it will promote overtaking at the Circuit de Catalunya, which has been difficult to pass on in recent years.how will any driver defend themselves from overtaking with a half a mile long DRS zone?

At 830 metres it is the longest DRS zone seen so far and the FIA hopes it will promote overtaking at the Circuit de Catalunya, which has been difficult to pass on in recent years.how will any driver defend themselves from overtaking with a half a mile long DRS zone?

I guess we're going to find out! :lol:

I just hope for another exciting GP this weekend. Hopefully someone will be on top of their game to beat Vettel this weekend!Be interesting to see if some of the updates that the various teams will have a significant impact on their weekend. I think Vettel will do it again bu I am hoping that Merc will produce something this weekend! As Murray Walker always said: "anything can happen in Formula One" that might give Mark Webber some hope of at least seeing Vettel rearwing this weekend

well well well. webber fastest in p1 and p2. can he pull one over on vettel here?

probably not.

well well well. webber fastest in p1 and p2. can he pull one over on vettel here?

probably not.

according to JA..."But Sebastian Vettel, who was third, has generally been a few tenths ahead of Webber in qualifying this season, so we’ve not necessarily seen the full picture today. All of the leading drivers set their fastest times on the first lap of a short run on new tyres, however Vettel’s run was five laps, while Webber and Hamilton did three. Vettel went faster again in the first two sector on the second lap on the tyres, but couldn’t keep the tyre in for the final sector of that lap. Vettel also did a very strong long run on the hard tyre with consistent lap times in the 1m 28s range, so the world champion looks like the man to beat again. Vettel also did a very strong long run on the hard tyre with consistent lap times in the 1m 28s range, so the world champion looks like the man to beat again."

Pole means less here than any other races, it has a long starting line to the first corner...anything might happen...

It is beyond my comprehension that the Red Bulls can be over a second faster than the McLarens and Mercs. Newey is a genius but his rivals have some of the best brains in the business working for them. I think the clever bit about the team is the way they keep sending the opposition off chasing their tails. It would appear that not one team has a clue how to put a decent quali lap together. We will see today. If Jenson mentions the word 'balance' one more time I will scream. Haven't Woking got one single ****ing engineer who can put this man out of his misery? The bigger problem is that if Brawn gets sacked at the year end and Schumi finally retires, neither will give a toss - they are loaded. Of course, everyone in the pit lane wants to win but I fear most have given up already.

Phew! Finally Vettel's stranglehold over pole is broken. So what if it may be just a fleeting break? Kudos to Webbo for P1. Wonder what explains it? Did he learn to use KERS more effectively on turns? A gap of 1.1 seconds over Macca is massive.

Little to separate Hamilton & Button. Alonso did well for P4.

Perhaps Schumi's decision to start on hard tires may pay off. Fingers crossed.

The Pastor did well. And Heiki star of the day for P15.

Schumi on hards seems like a faux pas by the team. Now he has to pass 9 cars, and start the first 12-15 laps on the harder tyre going 1.5secs a lap slower..he had a shot at P5/P6, and that is four spots further away from trouble into turn 1. And the guys in 11th and 12th can start on softs and blow by him too.

If you are in the top ten, you have to start on the faster tyre, or the mid pack will swallow you up and ruin the strategy.

However mixed grids are always fun. Game, er, race on!

By the looks of most drivers, this whole tire saving schemes have gone too far. Most of them looked somewhere between bored and resigned to these de-facto 1-lap qualifying runs.

Anyways, Webber outshone Vettel on one technical, non-street circuit. I have no idea what it means, but it must mean something.

By the apparently genuinous happiness at Ferrari for Nando's P4 (maniacal laughter from him included) I guess Massa was a more accurate reflection of Ferrari's Qualy pace.

Hamilton remains faithful to his style, with plenty of "moments" and wasting rubber like it's 1999, yet still manages to beat Button. Perhaps Button should try to be less "tidy" because his style is obviously not enough to beat Lewis at the moment. He can, at his finest moments, give Lewis a run for his money, but given the supposed massive difference a clean lap should have over a rubber wasting lap, oviously Lewis' style is faster.

Maldonado vs Barrichelo...oh, boy...

Petrov vs Heidfeld...oh, kammerad...

Not a bad quali, nice to have Vettel not get pole for once, Webber looking dangerous this weekend! Well to to Kova on getting 15th for Lotus, nice to see them progressing up the field!

As a few have said - props to Kovi.

Yes - he was helped into Q2 with Heidfeld out and a poor run from Barrichello, but he then went out and put his car ahead of both Force Indias. I really hope he has a great race and I have to say that non-poochie Lotus deserve some credit for what they're doing. Curious that the FI's were so bad, I was watching Chinese comentary so I may have missed some issue they were having? Their Q2 laps were both almost 2 secs slower than their Q1 laps????

Well done Webber - you stuck it to the little upstart and can be proud. Vettel will probably still win, but there's hope for a more interesting race. Especially if Vettel sees red and takes Webber and himself out.

Petrov has a good chance to make some more points on Heidfeld - yay!

Interesting choice by Schumi & co. Did he run at all in Q3? If not, he can start on a completely fresh set of softs can't he? - might make things fun.

Hamilton still has the measure of Button and Massa is still just there to make up the numbers.

Did anyone notice the whistling and jeering when they showed Hamilton's Dad on the big screen? Funny, because there was no reaction to Hamilton himself but as soon as his dad was shown the crowd noise was quickly faded out. Personally I don't much like Hamilton's tennis dad, but I don't think I'd ever jeer anyone. I'm sure it's the fault of the British press somehow or other though, so not to worry. :rolleyes:

Finally looking forward to seeing Heidi work his way through the field. Though I hope he only reaches 11th since I'm firmly behind my boy Petrov in team poochie.

Phew! Finally Vettel's stranglehold over pole is broken. So what if it may be just a fleeting break? Kudos to Webbo for P1. Wonder what explains it? Did he learn to use KERS more effectively on turns? A gap of 1.1 seconds over Macca is massive.

Little to separate Hamilton & Button. Alonso did well for P4.

Perhaps Schumi's decision to start on hard tires may pay off. Fingers crossed.

The Pastor did well. And Heiki star of the day for P15.

Well, Webber certainly used his KERS more effectively, as Vettel didn't have his available during Q2 and Q3 :lol: Nevertheless, a good job by Webbo and it's about time Seb's run was stopped (still think Vettel is favourite for the race but we'll see..). As for the rest, I agree with what's already been said, mainly: Lewis damaging his tyres is a sin, Alonso's lap must have been excellent and I'd like to see it, and it's great to see Lotus making Q2.

As a few have said - props to Kovi.

Yes - he was helped into Q2 with Heidfeld out and a poor run from Barrichello, but he then went out and put his car ahead of both Force Indias. I really hope he has a great race and I have to say that non-poochie Lotus deserve some credit for what they're doing. Curious that the FI's were so bad, I was watching Chinese comentary so I may have missed some issue they were having? Their Q2 laps were both almost 2 secs slower than their Q1 laps????

Well done Webber - you stuck it to the little upstart and can be proud. Vettel will probably still win, but there's hope for a more interesting race. Especially if Vettel sees red and takes Webber and himself out.

Petrov has a good chance to make some more points on Heidfeld - yay!

Interesting choice by Schumi & co. Did he run at all in Q3? If not, he can start on a completely fresh set of softs can't he? - might make things fun.

Hamilton still has the measure of Button and Massa is still just there to make up the numbers.

Did anyone notice the whistling and jeering when they showed Hamilton's Dad on the big screen? Funny, because there was no reaction to Hamilton himself but as soon as his dad was shown the crowd noise was quickly faded out. Personally I don't much like Hamilton's tennis dad, but I don't think I'd ever jeer anyone. I'm sure it's the fault of the British press somehow or other though, so not to worry. :rolleyes:

Finally looking forward to seeing Heidi work his way through the field. Though I hope he only reaches 11th since I'm firmly behind my boy Petrov in team poochie.

I was watching the Polish feed. I didn't get much but I think Kubica won? :unsure:

I missed the fact that Vettel had no KERS and other suff. And I didn't see the Daddy Hammy stuff either.

Go Petrov! Go Poochie! Go Alonso! Forza...Motorsport! (I can't...I just cant cheer for Ferrari!)

By the way, some guy is predicting the end of the world for later today, or perhaps tomorrow. That would definitely hurt this race's audience figures.

Seems we could be in for another Indy '05. Or a mass disquallification after the race. Time for supporters of Virgin, HRT & Williams to start fapping.

http://www.yallaf1.com/2011/05/21/off-throttle-exhausts-are-already-illegal/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Yallaf1com+%28YallaF1.com%29

It's incomprehensible why something that's already illegal is allowed to be used.:wacko:

If it's legit, use it, if it's not, stop everyone from using it.