Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cavallino

Driver Of The Day Barcelona

21 members have voted

1. 1. DOD Barcelona

• Nick Heidfeld
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nick Heidfeld
    • Fettel Kid
    • Nick Heidfeld
    • Nick Heidfeld
    • Nick Heidfeld
    • Nick Heidfeld
    • umm Fernando Alonso? HAHAAHAHAHA
    • err Michael Schumacher then? LOL

Umm ok it is a thinly veiled how good was Nick Heidfeld (though the race director was too busy showing us pit stops :() thread. Meanwhile Vitaly Petrov should get credit too for his great contribution - the money he pays or his drive helped repair Heidfeld's car for the race.

I KNOW I will hate myself in the morning, but I agree with Cav on Heidfeld. I guess the Apocalypse IS near....

heidfeld,heidfeld....!? who the f#ck is heidfeld....!?:huh:ahh, now i remember, that bearded guy who pledged that he will not shave his beard until he wins F1 race. LOL ! santa's sled is what he will drive in future! it is time that Santa Claus came from Germany.

Hmmm - I would give it to Hamilton, Vettel and Heidfeld given multiple choice. Since I can choose only one, it has to go to Hamilton.

I gave a DOD to Heidfeld when he got his podium and I actually think that that was a more impressive drive - although he did impress me today too. Here he had a garage full of spanking new tyres. Fun to see what someone can do with that (as we saw with Webber a few weeks ago), but difficult to compare with other drivers.

He did get the Renault to almost where it should be (performance wise) compared to the rest of the grid and a poor strategy for Petrov made it look even better.

A very good drive and a DOD if it weren't for outstanding driving from Hamilton and Vettel.

Alonso

-superb start

-hold Vettel , Hamilton for 20 laps and Webber (even more) behind him in a car that was lapped by Vett and Ham at the end of the race

-helped Hamilton by holding Vettel for first two stints, so at the end we enjoyed Hamilton pushing Vettel

Hamilton

-great race, pushed car to the limits, made whole race worth watching at the end

Vettel

-in an amazing car, that is benchmark this season on every track, he made it from P2 to P1

-he got scared when he saw lewis in his mirror

Heidfeld

-good race,sorry we didn't see much of it

My vote goes to Vettel because of excitement, wonderment and shock he experienced while Hamilton tried to overtake him in an a less superior car

My vote goes to Vettel because of excitement, wonderment and shock he experienced while Hamilton tried to overtake him in an a less superior car

suprise suprise...

"You seem to be playing catch-up every stint, three times.

Hamilton: I think our raw speed was… we were faster. If I was able to get past I think I would have been able to pull away. I was really losing quite a lot through the high speed behind but nevertheless, as I said, they are quicker through certain corners and we were quicker through some others, so it was almost balanced."

Hamilton at Post-conference

Apart from the obvious choices (Nando, Nick, Lewis, Vettel) I would like to point out how good are today rookies (Perez and Maldonado are driving as good as their teammates) kudos for them

Naturally, I vote Hamilton. Though it's pretty hard to say whether he did better than Vettel or Nando. Everyone else seemed less impressive to me.

About Nick Heidfeld, he did a good job and I can see why people liked his drive. I still suspect that his "strategy" of using fewer tyres in qualifying (so they're fresh for the race) is seriously under-rated by most people, including the paddock itself. Michael Schumacher finished ahead of Nico by using his tyres differently too.

It will have to be Hamilton for me. He was patient and quick! He, like Vettel, did not put a foot wrong. Everyone is saying that Vettel is on top of his game I think Hamilton as well. Big up for Michael Schumacher at last we saw some consistency.Hiedfield was amazing, it would have been interesting if started a bit higher up on the grid if he would have caught Alonso. The highlight of the race was definitely the start. Yes Webber did try to cover Vettel but to stick your car where Alonso did it was pure skill.

Can't wait for Monaco!

Hamilton, for me. But Vettel was supreme. Martin Brundle's post race and F1 forum analysis was very insightful; Vettel could have started to drive defensively, but didn't.

Why?

Confidence. In what?

In his own ability and maybe knowing that there was some in reserve if he needed it. He was asked why there was such a performance difference between qualifying and race pace. He claimed to know not why. Is it not clear? Aren't Red Bull masking the real potential of their car (in the hands of Vettel) and only pushing as much as they need to?

I believe the brains at Red Bull have mastered the art of only showing their hand when they need to. In the procees, they are luring and tricking Woking.

Hamilton, for me. But Vettel was supreme. Martin Brundle's post race and F1 forum analysis was very insightful; Vettel could have started to drive defensively, but didn't.

Why?

Confidence. In what?

In his own ability and maybe knowing that there was some in reserve if he needed it. He was asked why there was such a performance difference between qualifying and race pace. He claimed to know not why. Is it not clear? Aren't Red Bull masking the real potential of their car (in the hands of Vettel) and only pushing as much as they need to?

I believe the brains at Red Bull have mastered the art of only showing their hand when they need to. In the procees, they are luring and tricking Woking.

You theory sounds a bit too risky for me Steve. So Vettel "allows" hamilton to haul him in and be within a second for the last 10 laps or so. If Vettel made the tiniest mistake Hamilton would have won. Too much at play there. Other side of the coin, are you really suggesting Vettel is THAT GOOD? Too thrive and revel at that pressurized inhuman situation? I could'nt even sit still watching the 2!!! To me the reaction of Vettel with Hamilton after the race said it all, before they went to the podium....

You theory sounds a bit too risky for me Steve. So Vettel "allows" hamilton to haul him in and be within a second for the last 10 laps or so. If Vettel made the tiniest mistake Hamilton would have won. Too much at play there. Other side of the coin, are you really suggesting Vettel is THAT GOOD? Too thrive and revel at that pressurized inhuman situation? I could'nt even sit still watching the 2!!! To me the reaction of Vettel with Hamilton after the race said it all, before they went to the podium....

You are right, of course. There is no sense in Vettel risking the win by allowing Lewis to get so close. I'm just fascinated as to why there is such a difference in quali domination not translating into dominant race pace.

You are right, of course. There is no sense in Vettel risking the win by allowing Lewis to get so close. I'm just fascinated as to why there is such a difference in quali domination not translating into dominant race pace.

I read that most of their qualy pace is RBR7's ability to open the DRS wing in corners where the others can't... in the race they're only restricted to a certain part of the circuit

Does anyone else think that Vettel is just not that good? Hamilton would never have gotten so close if Webber had been in that Red Bull. :P

hard tyres were problem for red bull,they suited mclaren better that red bull. if vettel managed to escape at the start , hamilton wouldn't be even close at the end. i believe that red bull has a big reserve in their pace so that they can control the race while they are leading, and of course, they will not show their cards.

Does anyone else think that Vettel is just not that good? Hamilton would never have gotten so close if Webber had been in that Red Bull. :P

i do, but i will never admit it in public,of course . this is just between me and you.:P

The pace difference is according to some people due to the engine mapping for Saturday that allow the engine to exhaust a constant flow of gases throughout the whole lap, they don't do this on Sunday because of reliability concern, I don't know if this is true or not but this is the best explanation that I heard so far.

hard tyres were problem for red bull,they suited mclaren better that red bull. if vettel managed to escape at the start , hamilton wouldn't be even close at the end. i believe that red bull has a big reserve in their pace so that they can control the race while they are leading, and of course, they will not show their cards.

not that sure of that because the spent so much time on hard tires, if they suited the Mclaren better than RB I think that Hamilton would have had enough time to catch up because he was a lot faster that Vettel at the end.

Saw this on that very subject, puts forward a few ideas.

Very interesting article. Tbh I don't think Mark Hughes has got it right though. My suggestion is that maybe there are trade-offs you can make in the design of a car that give you more downforce or better tyre usage during the race, but not both at the same time. This seems more likely to me than Hughes's idea that Red Bull have too much downforce(!), and that the theoretical maximum speed possible with these tyres is precisely the speed McLaren race at.

Adrian Newey just refuses to compromise on his designs. We've seen it time and time again with his cars being fast at the expense of reliability or getting KERS working. Imho he's probably also designed a car that has great "traditional" aerodynamics without allowing the constraints of the new tyres to interfere with his beloved downforce. We know that McLaren, on the other hand, spent a lot of time studying the new tyres - even delaying the launch of their new car until after running last year's car with this year's tyres at the first pre-season test to better understand the new tyres' characteristics.

The quotes in Mark Hughes's article seem consistent with this explanation too. And Martin Whitmarsh seems to hint at this here as well.

Uh. I vote JPM. Thanks.