Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dynamic Roll Over

In & Out Of Season Testing

Do the administrators of this sport not realise what negative effect the testing ban has?

Look at 2009 - Brawn brings out a slamming car and no one can catch him. And anyone wanting to, cant develop their car accordingly.

Look at 2010 - Schumi (which no one can debate his calibre) is not able to test and get up to speed propperly and they are not able to develop the car.

Look at 2010 - Teams start giving up on their cars and rather develop next years!

Look at 2011 - Watch this space - Ferrari and the likes will turn to next year to beat red bull.

This testing ban basically means that if the teams dont get their car right out of the blocks in the beginnnig year, they cant make major advancements during the year. Yes, McLaren tends to be the exception to the rule. They are clearly quite gifted when it comes to this. Last year they had the F-Duct. Were it not for that, where would they have been?

This is supposed to be the cutting edge of high speed car racing and development. I understand that everyone needs to work to budgets and that the sport needs to be affordable to new teams but come on. We watch Formula 1 because it is the top of the top. If we wanted to watch a wishy washy budget formula, we would watch national racing formulas. Give the teams the ability to develop their cars as they wish to. If you dont, the teams will go somewhere that they can!

I find it interesting that the teams are opposed to the reintroduction of testing due to cost. I'm not sure which teams specifically are opposed, or if it is all of them.

I would like to see Michael Schumacher given the opportunity to pound around a test track day and night, if it's going to assist him. But equally, if there is no testing, it's the same for everyone and it's up to them to make the best of it.

As you correctly point out, McLaren seem to still make considerable progress without testing. I think it's up to the other teams to unlock their secret and do the same.

No matter how many laps Schumi is allowed to do, test ban or not, he'll never recover any form anywhere near close to the '03 model. Just like you are saying about being misty eyed over Robert Kubica, so too you must not get misty eyed over Schumacher.

No matter how many laps Schumi is allowed to do, test ban or not, he'll never recover any form anywhere near close to the '03 model. Just like you are saying about being misty eyed over Robert Kubica, so too you must not get misty eyed over Schumacher.

I still think I'm the most objective Schumacher fan on the forum. No misty eyes here.

"Do the administrators of this sport not realise what negative effect the testing ban has?"

I gather you refer to the governing body. In that case the answer is 'yes' they do realise the negative effect of the ban, which is why Jean Todt has recently announced his intention to reintroduce testing next year (which requires the approval of the teams), or, if they don't approve, then he will force the change in 2013 regardless.

You will find it is the teams who are against testing on the grounds of costs. Funnily enough, I think it should be up to the teams how often they go testing (their money, time, etc) rather than the FIA. Although I do think rookie drivers need more seat time (which is the best argument for more testing, rather than the development argument, imo), and there is probably a better compromise than what we have now.

I suppose the big question is: which teams are opposed to the reintroduction of testing?

If I was a little team around the back, nearing the edge of my budget, knowing that I cant afford to test but that if the others do, I will drop further behind ... Yup. No more testing thanks - We have enough!

I say, take F1 back to the older days. Fewer regulations which are really clear and uncomplicated. Those that want to go overboard to sit on the top rung of the podium ... go for it! Justify it however you wish. Dont decide for teams how much they are willing to invest in the sport. Give them the opportunity to decide.

Either that or we are destined to have more "staged film shoots" and "demo runs"... wink wink

if team budgets are determined by mutual agreement of all top teams then it is their thing if they decide to spend it on Season Testing.

The poor teams were always behind bans and restrictions. Ofcourse CVC/FOM holding onto the revenue money is a problem.

I think there should be an NBA/ NFL style of management with a with less teams, but more cars per teams and more funding/revenues per team.