Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eduan

Monaco

Alright then it is Monaco time! The jewel on the Formula One calendar and everyone is looking forward to some exciting racing! What I would like to know who is your top 5 finishers and how much performance difference there will be between the soft compound and the super soft compound.

My Top finishers:

1. Hamilton

2. Vettel

3. Schumacher

4. Alonso

5. Button

Alright putting Schumi in there is pretty far fetched but with Monaco anything can happen! In 1982 there were 5 different leaders in the final 4 laps. So you never know...

if i was a prophet:

My Top finishers:

1. Schumacher

2. Heidfeld

3. Heidfeld

4. Heidfeld

5. Heidfeld

Monaco will give us a chance to see how much affect the pirelles are having (compared to last year) without significant DRS involvement.

It will be down to who calls the best strategy and who gets held up by traffic.

Should be fun.

1. Panis

2. Vettel

3. Hamilton

4. Button

5. Webber

6. Rosberg.

1. Panis

2. Vettel

3. Hamilton

4. Button

5. Webber

6. Rosberg.

I saw what you did there, you jester...Rosberg,hah!

My list:

1) One of the Maccas.

2) Webber

3) Vettel

4) Either the other Macca, a Poochie driver (preferably Vitaly, please, let it be Vitaly!) or Schumi.

5) Superman Coulthard

6) Not a Ferrari.

I saw what you did there, you jester...Rosberg,hah!

My list:

1) One of the Maccas.

2) Webber

3) Vettel

4) Either the other Macca, a Poochie driver (preferably Vitaly, please, let it be Vitaly!) or Schumi.

5) Superman Coulthard

6) Not a Ferrari.

Is 'Nota' Enzo's grandson?

1. Panis

2. Vettel

3. Hamilton

4. Button

5. Webber

6. Rosberg.

Ah - thanks for reminding me - what a great race that was.

7 finishers as I remember - rain off and on - brilliant.

EDIT

having just checked - 7 drivers were given points but only 3 drivers actually completed 75/78 laps after which it was stopped at 2hrs!

http://en.wikipedia....naco_Grand_Prix

utterly brilliant - one of the funniest races I've ever witnessed

/EDIT

Anyway...

1 Hamilton

2 Button

3 Vettel

4 Webber

5 Rosberg

6 Alonso

7 Schumi

8 Petrov

9 Heidfeld

10 Perez / Kobayashi

Ah - thanks for reminding me - what a great race that was.

7 finishers as I remember - rain off and on - brilliant.

Was a thriller. From memory, Schumi smacked it in the barriers early on with Brawn remarking afterwards "Michael normally makes about one mistake a year...this was it", oh how time change...

Hill's engine went bang, then Alesi was in with a shout, but I don't remember what happened to him. I remember one of the commentators saying something like "we have a ridiculous situation where we're waiting for someone to come out of the last corner and actually win the race". As you say, it was brilliant. One of those anomolies seldom seen now.

Was a thriller. From memory, Schumi smacked it in the barriers early on with Brawn remarking afterwards "Michael normally makes about one mistake a year...this was it", oh how time change...

Hill's engine went bang, then Alesi was in with a shout, but I don't remember what happened to him. I remember one of the commentators saying something like "we have a ridiculous situation where we're waiting for someone to come out of the last corner and actually win the race". As you say, it was brilliant. One of those anomolies seldom seen now.

Alesi had a mechanical failure iirc. And yes, it was one of those classic races. But like all classics, they should...they must be a seldom seen experience. Nowadays you can have a Monaco race as dramatic as it was, just let the cars use the DRS in the tunnel and we will soon see them piling up at the chicane :D

I am not usually too fond of old memories as coming too attached to them tend to diminish the pleasure of living the present, but this year I am feeling really old in that sense. I don't know, but one thing is watching a dramatic monaco 96 and another is having fun all races with the awkward feeling that Whitting has a "drama on" switch on his control board. Races are funny and to a big degree unpredictable but I still feel that the grand scheme is staged. Not as in scripted in the way things develop (I am not that paranoid yet) but yes in terms on how the race environment is way too controlled.

I don't know if that made any sense but George will surely come around sooner or later and put something like this with fewer words :)

The prophet told me Alonso 5th once again.

A Red Bull 1st. The other one 0 points*.

McLaren on the podium.

Renault better than expected and Mercedes will get some points.

P.S.- * 0 points of downforce.

Alesi had a mechanical failure iirc. And yes, it was one of those classic races. But like all classics, they should...they must be a seldom seen experience. Nowadays you can have a Monaco race as dramatic as it was, just let the cars use the DRS in the tunnel and we will soon see them piling up at the chicane :D

I am not usually too fond of old memories as coming too attached to them tend to diminish the pleasure of living the present, but this year I am feeling really old in that sense. I don't know, but one thing is watching a dramatic monaco 96 and another is having fun all races with the awkward feeling that Whitting has a "drama on" switch on his control board. Races are funny and to a big degree unpredictable but I still feel that the grand scheme is staged. Not as in scripted in the way things develop (I am not that paranoid yet) but yes in terms on how the race environment is way too controlled.

I don't know if that made any sense but George will surely come around sooner or later and put something like this with fewer words :)

I would if I agreed with you :lol: I get what you mean, at least.

I'm kind of with you here.

I said it before - I'd like to a have seen a season without DRS but with the new Pirellis. I think it could have been a fun year for F1 without DRS. Strategy coming back to the fore with tyre management and cars passing because of differing tyre conditions. And we wouldn't have had this awkward feeling that cars behind are gettiong an unfair helping hand from DRS.

Oh well - I'm still enjoying myself this year and minimal DRS involvement (as in Spain) is fine. Passes still had to be made by drivers, DRS alone wasn't enough - that's about right for me.

I'm kind of with you here.

I said it before - I'd like to a have seen a season without DRS but with the new Pirellis. I think it could have been a fun year for F1 without DRS. Strategy coming back to the fore with tyre management and cars passing because of differing tyre conditions. And we wouldn't have had this awkward feeling that cars behind are gettiong an unfair helping hand from DRS.

Oh well - I'm still enjoying myself this year and minimal DRS involvement (as in Spain) is fine. Passes still had to be made by drivers, DRS alone wasn't enough - that's about right for me.

Yes they did. The final poduct is good, but what's the cost? A thousand uncomprehensible rules half of which means an arbitrary decision from some guys nobody cares about switching DRS zones from race to race? To achieve "natural" overtaking we depend on the Pirellis working Bad As Designed, but not too bad otherwise drivers and cars are irrelevant (with tires worth 2s a lap compared to the other compound...), we need that Whiting gets the DRS zone right which could or could not happen, we need KERS to actually mean something but not too much...geez...and all this to make people believe they are watching Gilles vs René? Well, for us who watched it back then this is not genuine. For those who didn't they can enjoy the overtakings as much as they want but who can honestly understand Sh#t of what is going on on the track? "Hey, look, Driver X is two laps behind!" "Ha! Sucker!", "No, wait, he is on a two stopper and he has an extra tire of softs so if he switches to a three stopper and uses that extra set...", "Yes, but he will still fall behind two cars and the DRS zone is not good enough..." "Oh, but the other team..." and so on...we wacth the race as some sort of MTV compilation of music videos in the 80s. A sucession of great images, but totally unconnected and then we awe at the result, just because it is too complicated to predict even for the teams.

I loved the strategy side in F1 but this is too much.

And George disagrees to make things worse! :P

Yes they did. The final poduct is good, but what's the cost? A thousand uncomprehensible rules half of which means an arbitrary decision from some guys nobody cares about switching DRS zones from race to race? To achieve "natural" overtaking we depend on the Pirellis working Bad As Designed, but not too bad otherwise drivers and cars are irrelevant (with tires worth 2s a lap compared to the other compound...), we need that Whiting gets the DRS zone right which could or could not happen, we need KERS to actually mean something but not too much...geez...and all this to make people believe they are watching Gilles vs René? Well, for us who watched it back then this is not genuine. For those who didn't they can enjoy the overtakings as much as they want but who can honestly understand Sh#t of what is going on on the track? "Hey, look, Driver X is two laps behind!" "Ha! Sucker!", "No, wait, he is on a two stopper and he has an extra tire of softs so if he switches to a three stopper and uses that extra set...", "Yes, but he will still fall behind two cars and the DRS zone is not good enough..." "Oh, but the other team..." and so on...we wacth the race as some sort of MTV compilation of music videos in the 80s. A sucession of great images, but totally unconnected and then we awe at the result, just because it is too complicated to predict even for the teams.

I loved the strategy side in F1 but this is too much.

And George disagrees to make things worse! :P

In spirit I utterly agree. If we take today's F1 and compare it to the 1980's (when I started watching F1 as a young whipper snapper) it saddens me greatly. Then again, if I see it as a progression of last year or even then last 5 years then I allow myself to feel better.

As you know - I'm all in favour of as few rules as possible. Simplifying the sport back to the point where technological innovation matters most (being a fan of the technology rather than the drivers) and rules are easy to enforce because they depend not on 'interpretation'.

Seems today that F1 in a way has turned into baseball. The simplicity of guys hitting a ball and running around has been tarted up with stats that pop up on the screen every 2 seconds showing this or that guy's batting average / number of home runs this season / OGP / HLK (I made those up - I know nothing about baseball - other than that meaningless numbers keep popping up on the screen adding to my confusion when watching the ESPN broadcast overdubbed with Chinese commentators).

But here's the thing - a small percentage of us F1 die hards would be content with F1 as it was. Kids today want more and more excitement for their dollar - everything has to be extreme and the marketing guys have thrived on 'better than ever before' for a long time - so they need to keep making the spectacle of F1 even more crazy than ever in order to keep these new fans happy. It's the way of the world compadre. Patience is a long forgotten virtue - nowadays there has to be an F1 'amazing racing moment' every few laps or people switch off. It says something sad about humanity and our inability to stick at anything / see anything through in general. People want gratification without effort - they don't understand the pleasure that comes from working at something day and night for little reward other than that eventual feeling of success. How anyone under 20 will ever have the patience required/be content enough for a happy marriage is beyond me.

EDIT - I've always thought perfection will be sitting on my veranda at 70 with my wife, a coffee and a good book watching the world go by then getting up and pottering around in my garden for a bit before shooting the breeze with my grandchildren.

I wonder what perfection is to young people today? I fear the bar has been raised way too far and many will never find the level of contentedness they now feel it is reasonable to desire.

EDIT EDIT - that was a nice ramble - how about we meet up for a game of checkers after the nurses change our sheets old timer?

EDIT - I've always thought perfection will be sitting on my veranda at 70 with my wife, a coffee and a good book watching the world go by then getting up and pottering around in my garden for a bit before shooting the breeze with my grandchildren.

You know the funny thing is, Adam I've found that perfection is being with your wife too :)

You know the funny thing is, Adam I've found that perfection is being with your wife too :)

I knew she was too much woman for me alone.:lol:

Eww...she's 70!

:blink: I really do hope not.

In spirit I utterly agree. If we take today's F1 and compare it to the 1980's (when I started watching F1 as a young whipper snapper) it saddens me greatly. Then again, if I see it as a progression of last year or even then last 5 years then I allow myself to feel better.

As you know - I'm all in favour of as few rules as possible. Simplifying the sport back to the point where technological innovation matters most (being a fan of the technology rather than the drivers) and rules are easy to enforce because they depend not on 'interpretation'.

Seems today that F1 in a way has turned into baseball. The simplicity of guys hitting a ball and running around has been tarted up with stats that pop up on the screen every 2 seconds showing this or that guy's batting average / number of home runs this season / OGP / HLK (I made those up - I know nothing about baseball - other than that meaningless numbers keep popping up on the screen adding to my confusion when watching the ESPN broadcast overdubbed with Chinese commentators).

But here's the thing - a small percentage of us F1 die hards would be content with F1 as it was. Kids today want more and more excitement for their dollar - everything has to be extreme and the marketing guys have thrived on 'better than ever before' for a long time - so they need to keep making the spectacle of F1 even more crazy than ever in order to keep these new fans happy. It's the way of the world compadre. Patience is a long forgotten virtue - nowadays there has to be an F1 'amazing racing moment' every few laps or people switch off. It says something sad about humanity and our inability to stick at anything / see anything through in general. People want gratification without effort - they don't understand the pleasure that comes from working at something day and night for little reward other than that eventual feeling of success. How anyone under 20 will ever have the patience required/be content enough for a happy marriage is beyond me.

I wonder what perfection is to young people today? I fear the bar has been raised way too far and many will never find the level of contentedness they now feel it is reasonable to desire.

EDIT EDIT - that was a nice ramble - how about we meet up for a game of checkers after the nurses change our sheets old timer?

One of those posts that makes me think if we met, we may get on handsomely.

I found perfection on tuesday evening. My four month old boy wouldn't sleep, so I took him for a walk in his push chair. It was a lovely warm evening. We walked around the fields and meadows where I grew up. As I sang to him and he looked into my eyes, then slowly fell asleep. I felt all at once as though I had found the true meaning of life.

This was reinforced when I brought him home and wiped the sh!t from his bottom.

Simple pleasures....

I found perfection on tuesday evening. My four month old boy wouldn't sleep, so I took him for a walk in his push chair. It was a lovely warm evening. We walked around the fields and meadows where I grew up. As I sang to him and he looked into my eyes, then slowly fell asleep. I felt all at once as though I had found the true meaning of life.

Simple pleasures....

:lol: There's no one better than you at analogies Steve

Usual suspects at the top for FP1 Monaco...ie the guys Alonso, Vettel, Hamilton and....Massa?? Rosberg 8 tenths up on Schumacher in their first stanza before Schumi binned it at turn 1. Looked like he bottomed the rear end before losing it so maybe a suspension failure?

Liuizzi went for a spin ala Kimi into the chicane out of the tunnel, but with no car to hit like Kimi, he tags the armco and removes his front wing.

Thought the Williams would have fared better as historically they may have been poop at every other track in the year, they've shown up pretty good here and have a few podiums to prove it too (or is that steps here?).

Looking likely a slug fest between RBR, Macca, Ferrari and Rosberg.

I can not see the teams only doing one run in Q3....qualifying is everything at Monaco...even a 2-sec a lap faster tyre here is going to be negated by the traffic. You have to lead from the front here if you want to win.

The new fountain on the pit straight was a nice touch I thought too. Rather pretty and it almost made me want to buy a plane ticket to go and visit it.

Simple pleasures....

That sounds so much like our last date business meeting with Paul it's amazing.

Schumacher needs get on with it now if wants to be up there! Only 7th fastest! 1:16.356 1.2 sec slower! Alonso looks incredible around here!

Schumacher needs get on with it now if wants to be up there! Only 7th fastest! 1:16.356 1.2 sec slower! Alonso looks incredible around here!

Alonso is incredible!

From Crash.net:

“For every race, I'm pushing my team like crazy. I can't imagine anyone pushes their team as much as me. I'm always saying, 'please get this bit', 'you need to push it' and 'when's that piece for?' That's my mantra, saying, 'I need it for Monaco, I need it for Monaco', so I'm pushing them to bring things, encouraging them as much as possible.

“At the moment, the only person who has an answer to Sebastian is me, and in a car that is not as good as his – and I'm quite happy with that. There will be times, when it's not at a track like in Spain that is massively dominated by aerodynamics where he is pulling a gap, that I'll be able to pass him. We've now two great races coming up, and hopefully the gap will be closer.

Somebody please shut up this kid (Lewis). He is doing great with his foot on the pedal, not in his mouth.