Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS

Bahrain

Yep - Todt got played.

He was sucked into being part of Bahrain's last ditch effort to get their GP in 2011.

Now he just looks a bit of a wally. Bernie needs to teach him how to be a bit more image savvy.

Sorry, that was an error, I meant state of emergency. As for the conflicts, I am sure it goes both ways in terms of the protesters (in the way that conflicts do tend to escalate..), and Dribs made a useful post on Western perceptions of non-Western conflicts. As for sources, I am not in the country so I do not know, but there are many reports (by various domestic and international news agencies) that mention human rights abuses which are difficult to defend, such as the imprisonment of doctors and nurses who have treated protesters. Summary: http://www.amnesty.o...sp?NewsID=19494

To reiterate, I am not talking about the moral and political issues as reasons why the GP should not be there; I think that the FIA ignoring what's going on (with their flimsy report), and Todt being unable to explain why the GP should be going there when all of these other, non-Government led reports are coming out, is the worst option of all, and is not strong leadership.

The media has been the biggest problem with the situation in Bahrain escalating and falsifying events and happenings in the country. Some of the things done yes not handled the best way in the beginning but the reason the country went into a state of emergency was because these supposed "peaceful protestors" as everyone is so quick to label them became violent and started violating the basic human rights of expatriates in the country and targeting them.

As for the reports on the nurses and doctors YES they are being imprisoned but not for the reason everyone thinks..... They were REFUSING to treat the "non-protestors" that got injured basically anyone who they deemed not worth treatment. They were hiding people and weapons not only within the hospital but using the ambulances to transport these weapons. They were also "creating" many wounded people. IE doing some special effects makeup scars and wounds..... So yes they are standing trial but for these reasons.

Ok I'm a bit late to the party but I along with I suspect MANY other people around the world would have been totally disgusted if they had held the race there this year! It's all well and good saying the media has been blowing it out of proportion but the fact remains they killed 30+ protesters and are have also arrested numerous doctors who treated injured protesters as well. I being someone who is quite sympathetic towards the middle east saw holding a race in Bahrain this year as being totally unacceptable and it should NEVER have been reinstated in the first place.