Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Caesar

Canada Gp

so,this weekend F1 goes to country of loose moose. is this only sport event in canada without guns? will they shoot at prancing horses, red bulls and toro rosso's? lets wait and see!

As much as I have loved the season so far, I fear this race will show the rules for what they are - a farce.

Two DRS zones and super soft tyres on a track that is famously hard on tyres? Oh dear...

Maybe my love of touring car racing and GT racing is having a negative affect on my view of F1 lately, but really, the rules are a bit daft.

It's been a tough go in sports for the city of Montréal.

And by sports, plural, I mean ice hockey.

Eliminated in the first round to rivals Boston Bruins, French-Canadian hockey fans are forced to watch their most hated team represented the Eastern Conference against Canada's Team, and by Canada, CBC really mean everything west of Calgary. Talk about the worst possible match-up for those poor little Habs fans.

Luckily for them, there's no hockey this weekend. Just a race with drivers who are just as big of pansies as the general population of Québec.

It's no one's home race.

Say it's MVR test driver Robert Wickens' home race. I dare you.

While you're at it, call Handy an Aussie and David Coulthard and Englishman...

Québec and Texas have a lot in common, so I guess it makes sense F1's attracted to both. They're really separate countries, or at least they'd like to be, and yet they're the very first places you think of when you think stereotypical Canada and America. Of course, they're both on opposite ends of the toughness spectrum; the only time A.J. Foyt would take a dive is into a bucket of steak..but anyway...

Popular pastimes in Québec include booing the American national anthem at hockey games, eating frozen-never-fresh donuts at Tim Horton's, and avoiding showers.

On to the race...

Ferrari should be required to field a third car for a local driver at every race. Maryeve Dufault could get the call for Montréal. Google her. Images tab, of course.

So, highlights from last year's Canadian Grand Prix to get you in the mood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ziQ9ja8zbM

Felipe Massa wins.

Rules are not daft at all. In Canada the "dirty air" always played a big role here and never really allowed you to come that close. With the DRS I believe we will see quite a number of overtaking. The Pirelli will definitely play a big role as it has throughout the 2011 season. I think here we will see the benefit of the new rules that will set us up for a great race! I really hope Schumacher can turn things around here although he was poor here last year. I think Vettel will be the winner, Lewis to over confident and might just leave him over driving the car as in Monaco. I think Jenson Button has found momentum and he will challenge the Red Bulls along with Lewis but he will lead the Mclaren charge.

Ferrari are bring upgrades this weekend and they are looking to turn things around so we should never count out Fernando Alonso!

I am looking forward to the race hopefully we will see a new winner but I at least expecting a exciting race!

And for those of you who are following the Super Rugby... My money is on the Sharks!

I remember 2006 and 2007 canandian races with Bridge tyres and lots of marbles... so next weekend with Pirelli´s it will be very difficult to overtake because nobody will want to leave the ideal race line. On the performance side it will be like monaco but the one who last on the track without hiting the WC wall will have strong chances to win no matter his strating grid position!

My bet's on Liuzzi being one of those leaving his signature accross the Wall of Champions.

Heidfeld will not win. Again.

Schumi will squeeze at least 2 cars. Maybe more if the Mercedes lasts long enough.

Petrov will total his car but not at the WoC.

Massa will spin his car more than once. He will complain about lack of grip.

Trulli will spin his car more than once. He will complain about lack of grip.

Alonso won't win.

Button will do a good race.

Vettel will show a finger. Which one is yet to be confirmed.

Hamilton will be black.

lewis, can you tell us something about crash with maldonado during monaco gp? lewis: ha,ha,ha! i dont think about it anymore, it is all behind me right now!

My bet's on Liuzzi being one of those leaving his signature accross the Wall of Champions.

Heidfeld will not win. Again.

Schumi will squeeze at least 2 cars. Maybe more if the Mercedes lasts long enough.

Petrov will total his car but not at the WoC.

Massa will spin his car more than once. He will complain about lack of grip.

Trulli will spin his car more than once. He will complain about lack of grip.

Alonso won't win.

Button will do a good race.

Vettel will show a finger. Which one is yet to be confirmed.

Hamilton will be black.

Well at least you'll get 1 thing right - they can't both win.

Its open season! Lets pop some Moosehead and enjoy the races. Should be a good one, especially if its raining on Sunday. Forecast looks like it might be wet.

I won't be watching quali as Le Mans is on & that's much more important! Race should be good as it always is, D'Ambrosio to overtake Alonso?? Kobayashi to win?? Maldonado to get 3rd place??

PDLR already has my vote for DoD even if tomorrow doesn't get to start the race. With just a 10 min warning, in a car not even set up for him, he managed to make decent times all things considered. He will never be a champion and I doubt he even had it in him to be one even if given a proper car, he always lacked the speed and the finesse. But he is a gritted teeth driver and I respect him for that.

Highlight of qualifying: Kobayashi's power slide towards the wall of champions! Gilles would be proud of that one. Other than that, and since I am always the first to criticise him, well done to Massa who put in the kind of performance he used to do regularly.

Vettel's crashes in free practises seem to improve his car. Yet another pole for him, but he was given a run for his money by the Ferraris.

Was Webber hindered by the problem he had in one of the FPs?

Good show by Massa. If he's starting on the clean side, I expect him to overtake Alonso at the start.

Schumi may have qualified a lowly eigth, but this time the gap to Nico is just 0.050 secs. Not bad for a 42-year-old guy who's a shadow of his former self.

The gap between pole & the 10th one this time isn't that much, compared to the races so far this season. Perhaps it has something to do with the circuit having more of straights & less of twists.

Vettel's crashes in free practises seem to improve his car. Yet another pole for him, but he was given a run for his money by the Ferraris.

Was Webber hindered by the problem he had in one of the FPs?

Good show by Massa. If he's starting on the clean side, I expect him to overtake Alonso at the start.

Schumi may have qualified a lowly eigth, but this time the gap to Nico is just 0.050 secs. Not bad for a 42-year-old guy who's a shadow of his former self.

The gap between pole & the 10th one this time isn't that much, compared to the races so far this season. Perhaps it has something to do with the circuit having more of straights & less of twists.

Apparently he didn't have KERS during the session. Bit of a shame but at least it gives Alonso and Massa a chance of a sniff of a shot at Vettel.

Not a bad lap from Webber with no KERS, he might have actually challenged Vettel for the first time this year if he had it.

Its a shame Massa couldn't find another 2 tenths.

Also if Shumi didn't have issues at turn 4 he would have beaten Nico.

Also according to the F1 site both Di Resta and Petrov start from P11. Should be interesting to see them parked on top of each other. Derp.

Not a bad lap from Webber with no KERS, he might have actually challenged Vettel for the first time this year if he had it.

Its a shame Massa couldn't find another 2 tenths.

Also if Shumi didn't have issues at turn 4 he would have beaten Nico.

Also according to the F1 site both Di Resta and Petrov start from P11. Should be interesting to see them parked on top of each other. Derp.

Agree with the first 3 points.

LOL @ the 4th one. Another blooper from the official site: When the quali got over, the live timing applet showed Alonso in the 2nd place with a slower time than Massa's. Too bad I didn't take a screenie.

The big fight will be the sprint towards turn one between Massa and Alonso. Nando from the dusty side knowing that if Massa gets in front his (slim) chances of a win are over, unless the Wall of Champions decides that it wants Vettel to leave his signature again, in case the friday's one was not recorded :D Massa desperately needs to show that he is more than an overpaid crash test dummy. Behind, the Maccas looming. Ahead, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve...damn I love this circuit! :D

damn I love this circuit! :D

I hate this circuit & brazil too. Why? - because they're in a timezone 12 hours away and the qually and races are in the middle of the bloody night!

(I forgot to put in my ppp picks too! #*#&$^#&@!*#*@$@^#ing ^@#*@*#@$@@$balls!!!!!)

Off to download :mf_tongue:

I hate this circuit & brazil too. Why? - because they're in a timezone 12 hours away and the qually and races are in the middle of the bloody night!

(I forgot to put in my ppp picks too! #*#&$^#&@!*#*@$@^#ing ^@#*@*#@$@@$balls!!!!!)

Off to download :mf_tongue:

I don't really understand it when people (not you alone) complain about the timing of the races. Not every race is at an inconvenient timing, and anyway your racing passion should easily decimate the minor quibbles.

Anyhow, I hope you get to see streaming this time round.

The big fight will be the sprint towards turn one between Massa and Alonso. Nando from the dusty side knowing that if Massa gets in front his (slim) chances of a win are over, unless the Wall of Champions decides that it wants Vettel to leave his signature again, in case the friday's one was not recorded :D Massa desperately needs to show that he is more than an overpaid crash test dummy. Behind, the Maccas looming. Ahead, Circuit Gilles Villeneuve...damn I love this circuit! :D

nando is on the clean side

I don't really understand it when people (not you alone) complain about the timing of the races. Not every race is at an inconvenient timing, and anyway your racing passion should easily decimate the minor quibbles.

Anyhow, I hope you get to see streaming this time round.

My "complaint" was tongue in cheek my boy. Tongue in cheek. ;)

Actually we're very fortunate over here - only 2 races are at unwatchable times per season. People in the Americas get shafted (Andres). :P