Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

v6turbo

Bring On The Turbo Formula 1 Engines

Turbos will improve racing?  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Turbos will improve racing?

• Yes
    • No

1. Engines will have to last 4000km, thus teams wont want to suffer a penalty if it blows up. As a result they’ll do more laps over the weekend of a Grand Prix – which is better for spectators!

2. They’ll still be 750hp so no reduction in performance, but the boost button will enhance overtaking opportunities, much as it does in F2 already.

3. They’ll be spectacular flaming out on the overrun, especially at night races such as Singapore, and Abu Dhabi.

Read my preview of the Turbo Season of 2014 at :

www.v6turbo.com

I'm undecided on this. The thing about engines is that the impact on the spectators is pretty minimal, as long as they make loads of noise and rev highly people will hardly notice the difference. As for reliability... I am interested to know why you think the fact that engines having to do more mileage means that the teams will put more mileage on them in terms of extended running? common sense dictates that the opposite is likely.

Truth is, I didn't ever really want them to stop using V10's, Formula 1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport which in my opinion should extend to it having powerful engines. The torque curves of the current V8's are so pathetic that you see drivers upshifting on the exit of very fast corners, Formula 1 shouldn't be like that in my opinion. Personally i'd like to see a return to the ultra powerful turbocharged V10s but I am at least pleased that turbos will be legal again, it may give the teams more ways to find performance.

If you remember turbocharged V10s you're on the wrong medication.

If you remember turbocharged V10s you're on the wrong medication.

My diazapan helps with memories of three pot turbo diesels.