Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MclarenGTR

Hello, New Here.

Hello people, I am new here. Just turned 24, live in central fl. I have always been into nascar, but recently I have been getting into formula 1 for some reason. Seems appealing. I do not know anything about F1 indy, but I want to learn. Glad to be here. Also can someone make me a signature with a mclaren f1 car in it, and my username? Would be appreciated. Thanks, and glad to be here.

** Sorry I did not see the new comers post until now. Please move this to the right thread, thanks.

Hi and welcome aboard!

A Ferrari tifosi, I presume?

Sorry, don't look at me for signatures. But I can help you with the main differences between NASCAR and F1 to get you started and so you can fully appreciate the wonderful world of F1:

1) You will see drivers moving the steering wheels to both their left and right. Sometimes both in the same race! :P

PROS: more fun and you get to hear Massa's race engineer (Rob Smedley) telling him where and when to turn.

CONS: you tell me. Like most F1 followers, we have an innate disability to comprehend what is so fun about the ovals.

2) Overtaking is a lot more uncommon.

PROS: when it happens, it is usually a beautiful display of skills.

CONS: You get to watch races that make you wonder if you will ever get those 2 hours back.

3) No weird versions of the American Anthem.(At least, until the Austin GP starts)

PROS: exactly that. Plus you get to hear some nice anthems. The Italian, which seems ideal for any sporting event, the Canadian which is one of the nicest IMHO, the Brazilian, another very sportlike one. Among the more "serious" ones, the British and German are good. The Spanish one is meh (sorry, Alex!). I definitely miss the Marsellaise, the most moving of them all.

CONS: You get instead some awful anthems (The Austrian Anthem is specially boring)

4) Albeit rules have become so confusing lately that nobody is even sure what is legal and what is not, you still can look like a total pro in these matters. All you have to do is throw a couple "this is the pinnacle of motorsport", "this has become a farse, I tell ya, I'm not watching F1 anymore!" and, most of all, "FFS!!" and nobody will ever suspect that you have no idea what are you talking about.

5) You get to watch race in exotic, god-forsaken places, none of which are named New Jersey.

:D

Wow nice pros/cons. What got me looking into F1 was when they stopped the nascar race for a few drops of rain, and someone told me, you know F1 cars can race in the rain!

[quote name='MclarenGTR' timestamp='1313786327' post='337102']
Wow nice pros/cons. What got me looking into F1 was when they stopped the nascar race for a few drops of rain, and someone told me,[b] you know F1 cars can race in the rain![/b]
[/quote]
Sometimes...

and Button will win this championship if it rains in every grand prix from now on end this year...

Welcome MclarenGTR

Hi and welcome aboard!

A Ferrari tifosi, I presume?

Sorry, don't look at me for signatures. But I can help you with the main differences between NASCAR and F1 to get you started and so you can fully appreciate the wonderful world of F1:

1) You will see drivers moving the steering wheels to both their left and right. Sometimes both in the same race! :P

PROS: more fun and you get to hear Massa's race engineer (Rob Smedley) telling him where and when to turn.

CONS: you tell me. Like most F1 followers, we have an innate disability to comprehend what is so fun about the ovals.

2) Overtaking is a lot more uncommon.

PROS: when it happens, it is usually a beautiful display of skills.

CONS: You get to watch races that make you wonder if you will ever get those 2 hours back.

3) No weird versions of the American Anthem.(At least, until the Austin GP starts)

PROS: exactly that. Plus you get to hear some nice anthems. The Italian, which seems ideal for any sporting event, the Canadian which is one of the nicest IMHO, the Brazilian, another very sportlike one. Among the more "serious" ones, the British and German are good. The Spanish one is meh (sorry, Alex!). I definitely miss the Marsellaise, the most moving of them all.

CONS: You get instead some awful anthems (The Austrian Anthem is specially boring)

4) Albeit rules have become so confusing lately that nobody is even sure what is legal and what is not, you still can look like a total pro in these matters. All you have to do is throw a couple "this is the pinnacle of motorsport", "this has become a farse, I tell ya, I'm not watching F1 anymore!" and, most of all, "FFS!!" and nobody will ever suspect that you have no idea what are you talking about.

5) You get to watch race in exotic, god-forsaken places, none of which are named New Jersey.

:D

wait till she hears about the Tilke designed circuits, and all the pro's you rendered here is useless

Wow nice pros/cons. What got me looking into F1 was when they stopped the nascar race for a few drops of rain, and someone told me, you know F1 cars can race in the rain!

True. Unless, again, we ae talking about Felipe Massa here.

BTW I didn't know you were a woman, sorry (i don't have avatars showing up and for me, anybody with McLaren in their nick must look like Ron Dennis). Being a woman in an F1 foum is even easier. Just try to act pretty, and make threads asking what you should wear.

Sometimes...

and Button will win this championship if it rains in every grand prix from now on end this year...

Welcome MclarenGTR

Alonso said that Button is the best in the wet. And Alonso rarely praises anybody else's style!

I'm bored. There should be more races during season, I don't care what the teams and drivers think. This is the pinnacle of motorsport FFS! (see? it works!)

Only really dumb people don't get ovals :whistling:

I actually didn't mind ovals when I used to watch Indycar. I can definitely see the attraction as a live event, even if it was just once for the experience - you can see the cars all the time, the speed, the noise, etc.

Ovals are fine. However, when nascar has races on road tracks, it is funny. I never watch them because they do not seem to be able to handle the turns. They do not seem built for them.

nah I am am guy, lol sorry for the confustion. I like anime, probably the anime gives it a false look. Lol,

That's ok. That's how Pabloh20 and I became...err....acquainted :whistling:

Damn you, Paul, you should not have used that Rosberg's avatar!

I like both nascar and F1. I find myself liking F1 way more than nascar, but i hope it isnt a crime to like both. Just like I like both soccer and american football. :))

I like both nascar and F1. I find myself liking F1 way more than nascar, but i hope it isnt a crime to like both. Just like I like both soccer and american football. :))

Nah, we like to make fun of almost anything, so don't be alarmed.

If you have any doubts about how things work in F1 just ask. And remember, when in doubt just yell "but this is the pinnacle of motorsport!"

And blame Bernie.

You'll do fine ;)

Yeah Speed carries the races. But if they go long and there is a replay of NASCAR scheduled at the top of the hour, then NASCAR will get played and not the last three laps of a GP.

FFS, this is the pinnacle of motorsport and they do that! FFS! I bet Bernie is to blame for it.

Yeah Speed carries the races. But if they go long and there is a replay of NASCAR scheduled at the top of the hour, then NASCAR will get played and not the last three laps of a GP.

FFS, this is the pinnacle of motorsport and they do that! FFS! I bet Bernie is to blame for it.

:wub: Marry me.

Yea I like F1 a lot now, but I do not know anything about it. Hopefully you guys can teach me. Also what channel can I watch races? Speed??

If Bob Varsha is still there, then definitely watch Speed! I rate Speed commentary over Fox Sports (that's what we got here) or BBC any day. The guys at Speed never take themselves or the sport too seriously (why should they? they know that most people watching it in USA don't give a Sh#t! :D) but at the same time are informative without flooding you with technical mumbo jumbo. A good balance, I'd say.

That's ok. That's how Pabloh20 and I became...err....acquainted :whistling:

Damn you, Paul, you should not have used that Rosberg's avatar!

Rosberg???? That was a picture of a guide dog I sponsored :eusa_think:

Being a woman in an F1 foum is even easier. Just try to act pretty, and make threads asking what you should wear.

Firstly. *slap* Lets hope that awakens some manners, baldy. :P

Secondly. Its a good job that this isn't a foum then.

Thirdly. Welcome, young padawan. Stay away from the Quiet One. Don't give him water, little balls of fluff shoot out of his back and then turn into evil little Quiet Ones. We don't need more baldy in the world. :P

Fourthly. Hi Eric. Welcome back. ;)

Fifthly. Oh Sh#t, son.

Firstly. *slap* Lets hope that awakens some manners, baldy. :P

Secondly. Its a good job that this isn't a foum then.

Thirdly. Welcome, young padawan. Stay away from the Quiet One. Don't give him water, little balls of fluff shoot out of his back and then turn into evil little Quiet Ones. We don't need more baldy in the world. :P

Fourthly. Hi Eric. Welcome back. ;)

Fifthly. Oh Sh#t, son.

Firstly: Welcome back!

Secondly: Ow.