Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

Monzahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

This weekend is the Italian Grand Prix of Monza cars....

Here is one if you have never seen one before:

chevrolet-monza-1.jpg

The Chevrolet Monza, introduced for 1975, was basically a Chevrolet Vega dressed for a night at the disco.

The Monza used the conservative rear-wheel-drive Vega chassis. But as the pictures in the following pages make clear, the Monza had swoopier bodywork than the Vega. This was especially true of the Monza hatchback with its Ferrari-inspired tail.

Ladies and gentlemen...start your...er...Chevy????

nice car for beating around the bush

This makes that particular past time far easier

limo.jpg

And for me, the Monza will always be the Opel Monza. A Coupe version of the Senator with a 3.0 litre six pot (which was like a Vauxhall Royale 2.8 and similar to a Viceroy 2.5 ...wow, how many people remember those...apart from our very own Monza gorilla, of course)

Anyway, I'm going to give the tip for this particular race to our Lewis. He was awesome in 2009 when he drove the wheels off (quite literally) his Macca.

This makes that particular past time far easier

limo.jpg

And for me, the Monza will always be the Opel Monza. A Coupe version of the Senator with a 3.0 litre six pot (which was like a Vauxhall Royale 2.8 and similar to a Viceroy 2.5 ...wow, how many people remember those...apart from our very own Monza gorilla, of course)

Anyway, I'm going to give the tip for this particular race to our Lewis. He was awesome in 2009 when he drove the wheels off (quite literally) his Macca.

numerous sheeps could be driven in that limo.

about real monza: ferrari will have engines tuned for that one race, so that LdM can put his funky smile in front whole nation, Mclarens will be very good, but i fear of RedBulls and their new-found straight-line speed at Spa.

Monza is Opel for me too. I was a child and it was nearly the best sports car you could see around here. It looks so old now... :unsure:

I would say Alonso for the win or Hamilton but Red Bull and Vettel are probably going to win there too.

Monza is Opel for me too. I was a child and it was nearly the best sports car you could see around here. It looks so old now... :unsure:

I would say Alonso for the win or Hamilton but Red Bull and Vettel are probably going to win there too.

Even though RBR made good progress on their straightline speed I'm very sceptical that Vettel will pull it off at Monza, unless it rains and their cars are setup for it, as per his first maiden win... I'de go with a Hamilton then Alonso then Vettel..

My father had an Opel Monza, the bloody thing ran for years...

Even though RBR made good progress on their straightline speed I'm very sceptical that Vettel will pull it off at Monza, unless it rains and their cars are setup for it, as per his first maiden win... I'de go with a Hamilton then Alonso then Vettel..

Remember 2009? Barrichello won, Button 2nd, Kimi 3rd, Alonso 5th. Hamilton got pole position and he should have won in normal circumstances but he crashed. Let's see if KERS makes the difference for Ferrari and McLaren, Brawn didn't need it in 2009 and RB didn't need it in 2011 to win both championships.

Merc had some good straight line speed at Spa.

Not that I see them taking it.

Ferrari usually throw everything at Monza. New engines etc.

It'll be a close thing me thinks.

Don't want to pick a winner, but I don't see anyone really running away with it.

Can I dream of a Senna win here? Petrov will do as well. With no championship fight worth of such name now, I would like to see Team Poochie at the top, just for once. STR did that once with whats-his-name...Frettel? Fretted? Whatever. I wonder what happened to him? Semmed like an also ran...

Can I dream of a Senna win here? Petrov will do as well. With no championship fight worth of such name now, I would like to see Team Poochie at the top, just for once. STR did that once with whats-his-name...Frettel? Fretted? Whatever. I wonder what happened to him? Semmed like an also ran...

I remember him! I heard STR got rid of him as he couldn't overtake, wasn't particularly fast, and couldn't lead the team. Oh and 'cos he was German of course.

Anyway I am looking forward to this race and don't mind who wins too much, although Lewis and Webber need a strong performance so it'd be good to see that. Two DRS zones seems a bit much though..

One more thing - placement of DRS zone will be crucial. If it makes passes too easy - expect everyone to go for straight line speed all the way - it'll be a series of drag races over 70 laps.

Merc had some good straight line speed at Spa.

Not that I see them taking it.

Ferrari usually throw everything at Monza. New engines etc.

It'll be a close thing me thinks.

Don't want to pick a winner, but I don't see anyone really running away with it.

No, because they are driving cars....this is not the Flintsones...sheesh...FFS

No, because they are driving cars....this is not the Flintsones...sheesh...FFS

oh what? so no massive dinosaur ribs tipping them over at the end? I've been waiting for that all season!

hmmm...

[/size][/font]

not sure about this

It could be too much, although James Allen says "However as the cars run a low downforce wing at Monza, the amount of overall drag there is to be shed will be less. Therefore the speed gain from deploying DRS will be less. Instead of the 20km/h we saw in Spa it could be as little as 6-8 km/h at Monza. This will not make overtaking significantly easier."

We will see..

It could be too much, although James Allen says "However as the cars run a low downforce wing at Monza, the amount of overall drag there is to be shed will be less. Therefore the speed gain from deploying DRS will be less. Instead of the 20km/h we saw in Spa it could be as little as 6-8 km/h at Monza. This will not make overtaking significantly easier."

We will see..

good point.

lets see how long the zones are I guess. as ever, it'll be a matter of getting that right.

Yet another pole for Seb. He just can't get rid of this habit, can he? So much for this track not suiting RBR.

Hope Hamilton can take the fight to Seb on the morrow. But has Hamilton destroyed one set of softs? ESPNF1 said he'll be starting with a different set of softs.

Expect Webber to finish ahead of Alonso.

Surprised to see Petrov ahead of the 2 Mercs.

Though not happy with Schumi's position on the grid, glad that he's ahead of Nicolette (only the 2nd time this year!). 0.7 is a pretty nice gap. Hope Schumi feeds off the good ol' days at Monza & finishes high up there.

Though not happy with Schumi's position on the grid, glad that he's ahead of Nicolette (only the 2nd time this year!). 0.7 is a pretty nice gap. Hope Schumi feeds off the good ol' days at Monza & finishes high up there.

Nico is on the harder tyre. He'll finish ahead of Michael.

links please! :D....i am travelling and this stupid hotel doesnt even hav a tv that works....:D can someone please pass on the link?

What a move by The Kaiser on Hamilton!!!

Not as ballsy as Vettel's on Alonso but one of the best moves of the season.