Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

I Am Just Singaporing In The Rain

Singapore....the Slammer....it's back, and it's going to be hot and humid.

And that's about all I can say on the matter.

Oh yeah...an some guy called Vettel could be crowned champion here. Not much of story to that one, so you might as well ignore it and debate something else...like will Lewis crash here? Or is Alonso really that hairy? Or is Massa going bald?

some guy could Sing-a-boring song again, it goes something like this: ' yahoo, thank you boys, that's what i am talking about...."

Vettel could be crowned here, as you say. I am overwhelmed with apathy.

Oddly enough, that doesn't bother me. What's happening behind the wunderkind is what interests me. Same as when Michael was hoovering up championships, attention in the Gorilla household turned to the lesser placings.

indeed - there's a bit of a ding dong for 2nd.

which drivers come out on top at Macca and Merc will also be fun to see.

Oddly enough, that doesn't bother me. What's happening behind the wunderkind is what interests me. Same as when Michael was hoovering up championships, attention in the Gorilla household turned to the lesser placings.

indeed - there's a bit of a ding dong for 2nd.

which drivers come out on top at Macca and Merc will also be fun to see.

The other Moo Rouge will be second. Britney will stay ahead of Mikey 5 moves.

The other Moo Rouge will be second. Britney will stay ahead of Mikey 5 moves.

Would you like to call the Macca battle?

EDIT - then I can just stop watching for the rest of the season.

Would you like to call the Macca battle?

Not really. I'd rather just get two calls wrong.

Oh, go on then...

I was fascinated by Lewis's approach at Monza. This was the first time I have seen him in cruise and collect mode. Button is winning the psycological warfare. I say this because Lewis was clearly thinking 'I need to finish at Monza' (having had a poor record previously). He is behind Button on points because he has made some silly errors. He probably didn't factor on having Button breeze past him whilst he was in cautious mode. He now knows that if he is to beat Button, he will have to return to his attacking style, but that comes with consequences.

Button is more measured. Lewis wouldn't have questioned his driving style up until now, but to see Button ahead he must be analysing his approach. Complicating the issue will be the fact that Button hasn't always been measured this season; he has been bold and brilliant when he has needed to be too.

For me, this is by far Jenson's most impressive season to date. Clearly relaxed in his own skin - he is driving naturally and beatifully. In short, his approach is paying off.

So, without waffling further, I see Button winning this one. I never thought I would say that. It will be thoroughly deserved if he does.

Button for the win at Singapore, or just the teammate standings?

I think Button will beat Hamilton this year...he has settled at McLaren now (so why the rumours about Ferrari are doing the rounds is beyond me), and can only get stronger. He is the first teammate to put pressure on Hamilton where Hamilton has something to lose (ie Freddy Nando may have put pressure on him, but it wasn't like finishing behind Nando was going to be considered a loss for a rookie). I think the more experienced head on Buttons shoulders will prevail. Hamilton has not yet had to up his game to beat his team mate...so the remaining races will be an interesting watch.

IMHO and as such, totally subjective, but I think that Lewis is a more naturally gifted driver than Jenson. Lewis is extraordinarily gifted but this year has been a perfect example of how gifts are not enough without the judgement skills and wisdom to make the best out of them. Jenson i sbeating Lewis on the latter alone. Being fast is not enough. Give Trulli a Macca. Spend two years trying to fix all the complaints he has ("No grip!" "No steering wheel!" "Too much oversteer!" "This jumpsuit makes me look fat!") and, finally, you will have a guy as fast as Lewis. Aggression? Give Koba a Macca. Watch the cars fly around.

That was Lewis this year. A one trick pony. Result? An obviously slower Button won him on wits alone. Button has changed and it didn't "kill his style" at all. It made him look better than even his BGP times.

Lewis at Monza made a step forward, and many came out saying "We want Lewis, the one trick pony back"!

I rather see him losing races due to learning how to develop his other virtues, to grow up and finally beat the crap out of Jenson (whose ceiling I still feel is lower than Lewis)

But of course, what would I know? I'm just a Lewis blind hater :D

For me, this is by far Jenson's most impressive season to date. Clearly relaxed in his own skin - he is driving naturally and beatifully. In short, his approach is paying off.

My sentiments precisely.

I've perhaps finally seen what the Buttonites have been going on about for years. I will take my piece of humble pie and happily gobble it down.

Even if Button ends up second to Hamilton this year, I am man enough to admit I was wrong to write him off when he moved to Macca. At that time I was fairly confident that Jenson would end a good few points behind Hamilton in every season they raced together. How delightfully wrong I was.

Well done Jenson. I will be fascinated to see how 2012 pans out too. With any luck the Macca will be more competitive.

Not really. I'd rather just get two calls wrong.

Oh, go on then...

I was fascinated by Lewis's approach at Monza. This was the first time I have seen him in cruise and collect mode. Button is winning the psycological warfare. I say this because Lewis was clearly thinking 'I need to finish at Monza' (having had a poor record previously). He is behind Button on points because he has made some silly errors. He probably didn't factor on having Button breeze past him whilst he was in cautious mode. He now knows that if he is to beat Button, he will have to return to his attacking style, but that comes with consequences.

Button is more measured. Lewis wouldn't have questioned his driving style up until now, but to see Button ahead he must be analysing his approach. Complicating the issue will be the fact that Button hasn't always been measured this season; he has been bold and brilliant when he has needed to be too.

So, without waffling further, I see Button winning this one. I never thought I would say that. It will be thoroughly deserved if he does.

This all may be true, but when you go right to where the rubber meets the road, Lewis is faster than Button. He can overtake in places Button cannot. In their time together, it's rather clear that Button has been behind Lewis with some exceptions. All Lewis needs is to calm down. Monza was perhaps not the race to hang the demise of Lewis (and rise of Button) upon.

At season's end, it will be Lewis ahead of Button. We all know that deep down, don't we?

This all may be true, but when you go right to where the rubber meets the road, Lewis is faster than Button. He can overtake in places Button cannot. In their time together, it's rather clear that Button has been behind Lewis with some exceptions. All Lewis needs is to calm down. Monza was perhaps not the race to hang the demise of Lewis (and rise of Button) upon.

At season's end, it will be Lewis ahead of Button. We all know that deep down, don't we?

That's the big question, Mike.

Don't get me wrong from my previous post; I still rate Hamilton ahead of Button, especially in terms of raw speed. I'm just alluding to the fact that Jenson has had a good season. Maybe it's because Lewis has had a shakey one. Either way, Jenson is still ahead on points - and it's those that count.

With only a nine point difference between the two, it's going to be a fascinating battle. Probably the most significant one remaining.

That's the big question, Mike.

Don't get me wrong from my previous post; I still rate Hamilton ahead of Button, especially in terms of raw speed. I'm just alluding to the fact that Jenson has had a good season. Maybe it's because Lewis has had a shakey one. Either way, Jenson is still ahead on points - and it's those that count.

With only a nine point difference between the two, it's going to be a fascinating battle. Probably the most significant one remaining.

True, but I was trying to make the point that it will be (theoretically) easier for Hamilton to have self-control than for Button to drive faster than he currently does. Button is only this close to Lewis because of Lewis' mistakes, not for pure driving talent. Mistakes are easier to correct than driving style. Button isn't going to come out ahead by season's end.

The only battle here is within Hamilton's head.

Twice yup. And I reckon he'll lose.

I hope he wins. His driving style and natural talent is too much fun to watch to see him throw it all away through self-destruction. He could be truly great if he can get his head sorted out.

True, but I was trying to make the point that it will be (theoretically) easier for Hamilton to have self-control than for Button to drive faster than he currently does. Button is only this close to Lewis because of Lewis' mistakes, not for pure driving talent. Mistakes are easier to correct than driving style. Button isn't going to come out ahead by season's end.

I think a 'Lewis versus Jenson' analysis thread is due, come season end.

I second that. It'll be interesting to finally discover the difference between chalk and cheese.

Mike, I agree with your last sentence, but I'm not sure he can get his head sorted out in a timely manner. Later rather than sooner is my prognosis. Too many extra curricular distractions.

I second that. It'll be interesting to finally discover the difference between chalk and cheese.

I may be able to help by having previously conducted a series of experiments switching the two;

Maths lessons are less informing.

Sandwiches lead to emergency dentistry.

Dover smells(even more)strange.

Hop skotch is less accurate.

Cottage pie creates anger and confusion.

Mike, I agree with your last sentence, but I'm not sure he can get his head sorted out in a timely manner. Later rather than sooner is my prognosis. Too many extra curricular distractions.

I see that as well.

There used to be a few people on this forum that measured a driver's quality strictly by their ability to drive the car (Graham, you still out there?). Lewis is proving what I've always maintained as fact: Everything, from the team they surround themselves with, to their ability to understand and relate the car's behaviour during testing, to their off-track dramas, to their physical training...EVERYTHING goes towards racecraft. You can be the fastest man on the grid, as I believe Hamilton is, and still lose out to Jenson Button because Jens is doing every part of his 'racecraft' better than Lewis is.

The ultimate decider of who has the best racecraft is, as Steve points out, their championship standing. If Button can end the season with more points than Lewis, I will judge Button's racecraft superior. This year.