Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HandyNZL

I Am Just Singaporing In The Rain

There used to be a few people on this forum that measured a driver's quality strictly by their ability to drive the car

I'm wondering if I should take this literally.

The ultimate decider of who has the best racecraft is, as Steve points out, their championship standing. If Button can end the season with more points than Lewis, I will judge Button's racecraft superior. This year.

Agree, but with qualifiers:

1) unless their car breaks down (less likely these days)

2) unless their team mullers them e.g. crap strategy, poor pit-work, team orders

What's wrong with team Pochie? :(

Good to see Senna being challenged and coping more than well with it. Although it meant Petrov's out on Q1.

Oh, well...GO, BRUNO, GO! :YaY:

Macca with Lewis WTF? I hope it was just a strategic call to save a set of tires.

EDIT: found the answer. Lewis had a puncture in Q2. Chose to make a single lap on Q#. May also explain why he was a little *ahem* impatient with Massa during the warming lap

Macca with Lewis WTF? I hope it was just a strategic call to save a set of tires.

EDIT: found the answer. Lewis had a puncture in Q2. Chose to make a single lap on Q#. May also explain why he was a little *ahem* impatient with Massa during the warming lap

They also had an issue fuelling the car, otherwise he would have made another run in Q3, iirc.

It was quite funny to see the other front runners all battling for track position/space on the out lap, whilst Vettel left the pitlane later with a clear track ahead. As usual, Red Bull chose the smart option ;)

Other than that, the qualifying rules seem to need a tweak: having cars electing not to run in Q3 isn't great.

They also had an issue fuelling the car, otherwise he would have made another run in Q3, iirc.

It was quite funny to see the other front runners all battling for track position/space on the out lap, whilst Vettel left the pitlane later with a clear track ahead. As usual, Red Bull chose the smart option ;)

Other than that, the qualifying rules seem to need a tweak: having cars electing not to run in Q3 isn't great.

Considering the RBRs performance, all other teams could choose not to run in any of the next races and save a pile load of tires.

And what's with the "Number 2s curse"?

For a couple of races Lewis has been a de facto #2. Certainly nobody could think that he is being let down by his team or that his team wanted or will ever want to treat Lewis as a mere #2, right? Yet, he gets all the bad luck that is floating around. In Webber/Massa cases you could simply dismiss all their misfortunes with a "the team doesn't want him" and be satisfied with that explanation (as if teams would actually sabotage their lesser half...or as if just because you are right handed it means you would shove icepicks under your left hand fingernails...), but in this case that explanation is not enough. Yet we have seen it all the time. The guy that is behind is not just behind, his car breaks, fuel rigs don't work, pianos fall down on their heads while walking to their motorhomes (yeah, I know, that never happened...yet)

Anyways, it still baffles me why the guy behind is not just behind but struck by Egypt's ten plagues all of a sudden. I can understand some differences being explained by strategy (lousy pitstop timing due to priority going to the guy ahead, better upgrades for the #1), but fuel rigs and that stuff is simply bad luck!

What's wrong with team Pochie? :(

Good to see Senna being challenged and coping more than well with it. Although it meant Petrov's out on Q1.

Oh, well...GO, BRUNO, GO! :YaY:

I have noticed Senna's doing rather well all things considered - if he can perform to the car's capabilities, we may see him make his gradual way to a top tier team yet. It will take a while though - competition for those 6-8 seats is tough. It would be nice to see team poochie back in that pack, but I fear they're slipping. Will Kubi be back for the 2012 pre-season? Any clues? He would perhaps help in the development of a better car for next year. They seem to have slipped steadily backwards this year - I blame Heidfeld.wink.gif

Agree, but with qualifiers:

1) unless their car breaks down (less likely these days)

2) unless their team mullers them e.g. crap strategy, poor pit-work, team orders

Yup. When choosing a team, the driver rarely knows if the chief engineer (at the track) and technical director (in the factory) will be up to snuff.

Same for #2.

In short, I agree with you.

Considering the RBRs performance, all other teams could choose not to run in any of the next races and save a pile load of tires.

And what's with the "Number 2s curse"?

For a couple of races Lewis has been a de facto #2. Certainly nobody could think that he is being let down by his team or that his team wanted or will ever want to treat Lewis as a mere #2, right? Yet, he gets all the bad luck that is floating around. In Webber/Massa cases you could simply dismiss all their misfortunes with a "the team doesn't want him" and be satisfied with that explanation (as if teams would actually sabotage their lesser half...or as if just because you are right handed it means you would shove icepicks under your left hand fingernails...), but in this case that explanation is not enough. Yet we have seen it all the time. The guy that is behind is not just behind, his car breaks, fuel rigs don't work, pianos fall down on their heads while walking to their motorhomes (yeah, I know, that never happened...yet)

Anyways, it still baffles me why the guy behind is not just behind but struck by Egypt's ten plagues all of a sudden. I can understand some differences being explained by strategy (lousy pitstop timing due to priority going to the guy ahead, better upgrades for the #1), but fuel rigs and that stuff is simply bad luck!

Interesting points. I love a bit of superstition now and then.

A tangent, then, because I can. It somewhat relates. Lewis has one huge weakness and it's his inability/unwillingness to deviate from the strategy the team creates for him. He'll follow the team's strategy every time, even when McLaren has proven that they aren't the best at it. Button, on the other hand, will go with the team's strategy but he shows no hesitation in altering it before and mid-race. This is Button's strength, I think, because he takes chances and, mostly, he's right.

Now I just defended Button against Lewis. I need a stiff drink.

I kind of like it. A new element to strategy. It shows they're thinking outside the box at least.

Disappointing to Schumi out. How did he make such a blunder? Or was it the unlikely possibility that Perez suddenly braked?

Nope, he admitted he was an idiot :P

I think this Safety Car procedure should be revised (once again) we were robbed of a thrilling final just because those backmakers were in the way between Vettel and Button :mf_tongue: we should start a facebook signing or something similar to get that rule changed.