Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Autumnpuma

Telemetry, Dr. Watson....

Here's a good article on how to read current (this year's) driver telemetry. The article linked takes you through the parts of a team's telemetry from Monaco this year. It's a bit techy, but good if you take it slow. So pour some coffee and sit back and enjoy. I'll post a bit of the article below so you can get a taste but the actual article contains nifty images.

During every GP broadcast, we see the drivers sat in the car in the pits, reviewing print outs of the telemetry from previous laps. Using them to understand the car and how to extract better laptimes from it.

Earlier this year an F1 fan offered me a set of telemetry sheets, they found discarded in a Monaco pit garage. These sheets compare the laptime of two team mates around a lap. With this unique opportunity we can start to understand how the driver benefits from this data.

So I had Brian Jee, a ChampCar/IndyCar Data Acquisition/Electronics Engineer to look at the sheets and explain what the data was and how the drivers can review it to see where they lose time compared to their team mate. Brain has written this following analysis to introduce us technical F1 fans to the world of Telemetry and Data Analysis

In order to maintain the teams anonymity, I have deleted the teams, driver, lap time and session details. Please do not speculate as to which team this belongs to, or I will have to remove this thread.

Telemetry and Data Analysis Introduction

Before we can begin to discuss analysis of the data presented on this sheet, we must first understand its origin and purpose.

The software that created this sheet is called ATLAS, an acronym for Advanced Telemetry Linked Acquisition System, developed by McLaren Electronic Systems (MES). ATLAS has become the standard data acquisition package in the F1 paddock due to the use of an FIA spec MES engine control unit on all cars. The entire data acquisition package consists of on-board car data logging electronics and transmitter radio, transmitting data via radio frequency to telemetry receivers in the garages. The receivers decode the data and operate as central servers of the decoded data to distribute it over a local ethernet based network. Any appropriately configured PC computer, running ATLAS software, can simply connect to the network and receive data from the telemetry receiver server. The simple ethernet architecture of the data distribution network also lends itself to an ease of sending the live telemetry back to the factory to engineers and strategists. Data is referred to in two forms; “Telemetry” is live data, and “Historic” is logged data or also backfilled telemetry. The hardware and infrastructure of the system is beyond the scope of this discussion, but is fundamental to understanding how an engineer would receive the data and with what tools he or she would interact with it.

(There's more at the site)

"http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/telemetry-and-data-analysis-introduction/"'>http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/telemetry-and-data-analysis-introduction/"

http://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/telemetry-and-data-analysis-introduction/