Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grabthaw the Hammerslayer

Vettel And Will Power

If Vettel's season was made into and RPG, this would be a perfect review, in perfect english, made by your perfect average player:

Yeah, yeah, I know. I just loved the video and had to post it somewhere.

About Vettel, ehmmm...he is a flawless driver, in a flawless car, with usually flawless strategy.

That makes him half a GREAT driver. He needs a mediocre season now and show how much he can do when he is not following a perfect path in a perfect way, but when he must react to another guy/team strategy and still shine. A character-building season, to use a vey much abused phrase as of lately (refered to Hamilton's season)

I've said this before, but Lewis best season was not his 2008 WDC season but 2010. Ditto for Nando, his best race was driving around Malaysia with no clutch whatsoever, and all he got was a DNF for a prize. Button 2009 WDC? Ha! Button's second part of 2011? Hats off.

It's not Vettel's fault. Maybe he is as good at that as he is good at being on top. He just didn't have the chance to prove it. Pre WDC years don't count as much as the post WDC years. I say just wait and see. The kid has surely earned him some big credit.

I still give him a 1, beacause some of his voicing is good (actually it isn't, I hate it when he yahoos on the radio)

Yeah, yeah, I know. I just loved the video and had to post it somewhere.

About Vettel, ehmmm...he is a flawless driver, in a flawless car, with usually flawless strategy.

That makes him half a GREAT driver. He needs a mediocre season now and show how much he can do when he is not following a perfect path in a perfect way, but when he must react to another guy/team strategy and still shine. A character-building season, to use a vey much abused phrase as of lately (refered to Hamilton's season)

One could argue that he had that season last year. But then others would argue that he got lucky when Alonso and Webber tripped over themselves in the last race.

But seriously - he won be the smallest of margins last year and a huge one this year - either way, the detractors will find something to belittle his achievements.

One could argue that he had that season last year. But then others would argue that he got lucky when Alonso and Webber tripped over themselves in the last race.

But seriously - he won be the smallest of margins last year and a huge one this year - either way, the detractors will find something to belittle his achievements.

Yes, but that's because nobody likes an overwhelming, dominant winner (loving such people will make you look like a n00b, ya know?). Respect takes time to be earned. And many times have nothing to do with percentages, numbers and such, they are usually ex post facto rationalizations. Villeneuve (the worthy one, of course), Moss, Bellof...those are considered great drivers even if none of them won a WDC. Piquet (again, the worthy one) is barely mentioned in any quick list of the greates (Steph, you amazed me when you mentioned him :)) despite being a 3 times WDC. You will hear Dan Gurney mentioned a lot more and how many races he won? How many WDCs? 4, and none. Best end of season position? 4th. A guy close to those figures? Giancarlo Fisichella. Granted, Fisi didn't build his own cars, but he surely destroyed them :D

If the kid is the next Schumi, recognition will come. I respect Schumi now, never respected him too much when he was becoming a 7 times champion. I still respect Hamilton (somehow), though his career is looking more and more like JV's career rather than Senna's. I am finding myself surprised of having to admire anything about Button, after considering hime the blandest WDC since Damon Hill.

Well, you got what I mean, hopefully :D

I totally agree with everything you write Andres old boy. I would never claim Vettel is on an equal footing with any of those drivers you mention. I don't even particularly like Vettel. I think you misread my posts as though I'm saying Vettel's something special or more deserving of his WDC than some other driver. In fact that's missing my point entirely. I tend not to differentiate between the drivers too much - I think certain drivers are very talented, but generally they bore me - it's the cars I like in F1 not a driver, his nationality, his haircut, dress-sense or girlfriend - scratch that, I like most of their girlfriends.
I am more making a point concerning the inevitable whining many people do whenever someone they don't approve of wins the WDC. Rather than simply saying "well done X" every season we are subjected to opinions upon opinions (and they are nothing but subjective opinions with no real merit) as to why X isn't really that good.
I hold the opinion that anyone in F1 has to be seriously committed to the sport and also seriously talented. Even Glock. I am also of the opinion that anyone who wins the WDC should be gracefully congratulated and that petty detractions made of any driver don't exhibit any thought, only pre-held prejudice. If Lewis had won, no doubt a bunch of people would have been talking about how flawed his racing style/attitude is. If Alonso had won we'd be hearing about how Ferrari give him special treatment. For any driver we'd have a bunch of people childishly attempting to detract from that driver's win while only really succeeding in demonstrating their own lack of maturity / objectivity / balance / sense of fairness.
I don't find F1 particularly exciting when Vettel wins every race, but that doesn't make Vettel boring and it doesn't make him responsible for my boredom either. He's doing his job extremely well. People should be adult enough to simply say well done and get over the fact that their guy didn't win this year.
As for becoming a legend - well that comes much later and we can argue the merits of his entry (or not) into our own personal hall of fame much further down the road. For me - he's nowhere near that great yet, show me a few more seasons like last year and this year and maybe he'll get there. More importantly right now he & his RB were the best driver/car combination by a long way this year, so though I may have found many of his wins dull, I don't blame him for that and I offer him and his fans my humble congratulations as I do every year to every WDC winner no matter how they win it, what car they have, whether the season has been exciting or not or if I like their haircut (unless Rosey wins).[img]http://www.totalf1.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif[/img]
You say - "no one likes a dominant winner" - not true - his fans do. I don't ever remember any Schumi fans complaining when he walloped the rest of the field for several years running.
You see the complaints don't really have anything to do with the dominant nature of his win because we heard the same nonsense last year and the year before that. It's human nature to identify with something - a football team, a racing driver, a bridge club, a village pub etc etc. The problem is when we feel inferior by perceiving the other "side" to have "won" we have to start putting down the winners because we're too insecure to simply applaud their victory.
I guess this is the issue for me...
Though the complaints may be seemingly [i][b]about[/b][/i] the dominant nature of the win, the actual [b][i]reason[/i][/b] for the complaints is that he isn't the driver the complainers wanted to win - no matter how he won, they would be complaining. He's not the driver they associate themselves with. Ergo he can't "deserve" his win as much as their guy.
And here's why I'm right....
Right now no complaints about Vettel's boringness have come from Vettel fans.
If Hamilton had won in exactly the same way - dominant car and many pole-win races the complaints would be exactly the same, but the Hamilton fans would be silent and the Vettel fans would be complaining about the boredom that Hamilton had subjected them to.
Had Alonso won in exactly the same way - dominant car and many pole-win races the complaints would again be exactly the same, but the Alonso fans would be silent while the Vettel and Hamilton fans would be doing the complaining.
You see it isn't ultimately about the nature of the win, it's about who didn't win.

Wow - that turned into a bit of an essay. I'm never too succinct when explaining intricate arguments.