Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

F1Babe

European Minardi Ferrari?

Speculations have surfaced that should Prost not secure engine supply for 2002 because of financial considerations, the Minardi team is waiting in the wings to take up Ferrari's second customer supply contract. This follows expectations that they would sign on the services of Malaysian driver Alexander Yoong for 2002, who would through his strong sponsorship portfolio, financially strengthen Minardi's position and help pay for Ferrari engines.

Motorsport News quoted Paul Stoddart: "I've talked with Todt and I'm ready to come in if Prost doesn't. A European Minardi Ferrari would be a great thing and we could finally have the satisfaction of making it to the points."

He was quoted: "Ferrari is helping us a lot not only technically, but also on the human side and we are very close and it's very easy to talk with them about how we might have a better deal".

Lets hope Minardi can come to some sort of agreement with Ferrari, it would be a great boost for them.

:)

Minardi to g et ferrari engines ...cool ....then next year the best of the rest competition will have a newcomer apart from sauber,jordan and BAR ........

Love the idea.

Minardi are within about 3% of the points & I'm sure a 2001 series Ferrari would easily make that much difference.

Who is Alex bringing sponsorship from?

The other question is that now Minardi are powered by European badged engines & Paul Stoddart's company is called European. If Ferrari engines are used will Minardi  be permitted to call them European?

Sam your mention of MASERATI has just about finished me for the night. I love the marque & have always lusted after one.

Drove a bi-turbo last year----un-be-jolly(expletive deleted)-leivable.

Nearest I've owned is a Lancia Fulvia HF. Nice but nothing to compare to a real Maser.

Even a rebadged Ferrari-Maserati would get one of the great names back into the sport & that would be no bad thing.

Minardi can with a bit of rejigging be a force to be reckoned with in 2002, especially if they get a pair of competitive drivers.

Well Luca Montezemolo has said Maserati are going to be introducing a worldwide race programme - I don't know if they'd want them in F1, but it would be rather fantastic - especially the atmosphere at Monza...

If Sauber are getting free Mercedes engines for Kimi does that mean there is a Ferrari engine deal floating around out there?

I'd so love Minardi to score it.

The Asiatech engine isn't so bad, but they are bringing in an all-new engine for next season.

Sauber? Mercedes? I don't think so. Where did you get that from? Sauber and Mercedes have already been down that road, and didn't get on very well.

I remember the Sauber-Mercedes partnership, thank god they went to Mclaren! No, Sauber will use this years Ferrari V10's next year, most likely, and Mercedes is tied to Mclaren.

I hope you don't mean 15th in the constructor's championship (which is pretty much were they are going to finish this year ;) )

So who do you predict will be behind them? (or is this a conversation we should save for the agonising wait over the off season?)

You know you'd have to be pretty crappy to finish 15th in the constructors championship, with only 12 teams. That would be...well...impossible!

But I dont really know who would be there behind them, we must see we must see. Hopefully we dont see another Lola performance by Toyota!

Lola was more of a comedy show than a race team. It needs quite a bit of effort to suck so much that first you lap 15 seconds slower than everyone else in qualifying and THEN run out of money so your cars are stuck. I certainly that never happens again.

The last two races now Alonso has out qualified both the Asiatech powered Arrows (and has done awesomely well to qualify 17th at Indy, perhaps there is no need to banish them to 15th just yet.). Are the boys at Minardi doing an unreal job with an old power unit? Are Arrows just doing a bad job with a good engine? Are the Asiatech engines just going to keep Minardi at the back of the field again next year? Is Alonso the next Schumacher and can make a dud package appear great (well not that 17th is great, I meant relatively great)?

If the answer to the first question was yes then wouldn

Minardi are VERY skilled, just underfunded. Look at Honda and BAR, maybe even Jordan. They have tons f money and Sauber, a completely private team is beating them race after race after race. Should Sauber just get more money, we would see a very championship team indeed, maybe the same with Minardi.