Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jagman

Night racing?

I just read the news article here at total f1 about a possible night race at Sepang.

Sounds like a crazy idea, but I love it and I hope they can pull it off!

what do you others think?

Sounds good to me but then again FIA has strict regulations when it comes to safety and i don't think it will ever come true but hey i saw stranger things happening!

Brilliant, no more getting up a 2 or 3 in the morning.

Seriously though, a night race would be interesting.  It is definately something none of the drivers have done before.

I think it would be a long time coming though, the FIA will take ages mulling over the safety aspects of the GP.

I'm not keen on getting up at 3am either but I'd rather do that than watch a lot of headlights dazzle the camera so that you see about half what we see now.

Unless the tracks spend zillions on giving the entire circuit uniform lighting the cars would need their own lights & the TV pictures would be woeful. Watch some Le Mans stuff to see what I mean.

No, it's a bad idea, we need more detailed racing coverage not less. After all, the shot of the red-hot brake disk gets a bit tedious after the tenth repeat.

How about putting hundreds of cateyes around the track, like on airport runways, that way the drivers dont actually have to see the track, just stay within the lights. :)

I dont see that it will ever happen, the GPDA would kick up a huge fuss I imagine, after all it is them that are out there in the dark.

Love the catseyes idea!

Maybe green ones to the right & red ones to the left so they know which way they are facing after a spin.

Don't know what they are complaining about really. Last Friday night coming home I had to stop three times because half the kangaroos in North Queensland seemed to have a death wish. Now that would get the heart going at 300kph.

i believe it's a fantastic idea....i mean you wouldn't know how good an idea is unless u actually try it out and i believe that since sepang is the best track out there, it can host the first ever night GP if given the chance to ......

Night racing sounds good, but they'd use flood lights to light up the circuit, so what difference would it make?!

(Edited by TotalF1 SamB at 7:24 pm on July 13, 2001)

well as i'm Malaysian i'll tell you that Malaysia is a hot and humid country especially in the afternoon so i believe that a night race would make things better for the drivers and especially the spectators as it is cooler at night ....

It generally rains then too.

Really bad TV pictures what with headlights, spray & glare.

I agree that it would be better for crowd comfort though.

The Sepang track is probably one of the few venues where night racing could be made to work but there is still the picture quality problem.

Won't affect me as I will probably be at the track day or night & as I live in the tropics the humidity is no problem.

Go Ralfie 2002

i dont think TV pic will be affected coz i believe those guys have good sophisticated equipment of the 21st century to handle a night F1 race but however if a night race would compromise drivers safety then i dun think it should be introduced but if it's not then it's worth a try ...

Really good point Sam.

With a totally floodlit track the TV picture would be almost the same as daylight so there would be no effective difference for the viewers.

AMJ is right though , the crowd comfort would be improved.

I still think that it would be much more difficult & dangerous for the drivers so it won't happen.

Personally I hate to see crashes so I don't want to see anything more dangerous than we already have.

The idea of the sport is the best & fastest Not the survivor of a demolition derby.

cats eye like at an airport imagine the rush the drivers would get drivers around a circuit like that!!!!!!!!!!!