Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shadow

Dc Gets Red Bull Contract

From Speed-tv.com

Mateschitz Confirms Coulthard Deal

Vienna, Austria – 12/14/2004 Coulthard apparently won Mateschitz's heart and mind with his solid performances in the Jerez testing sessions (LAT Photo)

In an interview to Austrian publication Kronen Zeitung, energy drinks magnate Dietrich Mateschitz, the owner of the new Red Bull F1 team, confirmed that he’s offered a race driver contract to David Coulthard.

“When someone has won 13 GPs and has David’s personality, it really becomes a no-brainer,” quoted Mateschitz. The team owner also clarified that the Scot was never considered for a testing role: “We wouldn’t have even tested him in that case.”

Coulthard was also helped by a second BAR embargo on Anthony Davidson - the team already had forbidden its driver of testing with Williams - an will likely have Austrian Christian Klien as his teammate, thus confirming the “youngster/experienced” duo wanted by Mateschitz. 2004 F3000 champion Vitantonio Liuzzi has the upper hand for the test driver position, but the Italian reportedly is trying to put together a race deal with Jordan.

I never really liked DC probably because the lucky b#####d has had only good cars and well... But I changed my mind, Dc clearly deserves a seat at Red Bull where he'll prove whether or not he is a top driver, I must admit I'm impressed by his motivation

I am quite happy for DC. He deserves it :)   :)   :)

Hello!

I agree with you 100%, he deserves it, now its time to prove what he can do...

Hey Sato, I notice you are quite anoyed this winter...whats going on?

take it easy man!

:D

greetings from mexico city

I Live in Australia, so its summer ;)

Im not so much annoyed, its just i have strong opinions on things, and people seem to disagree with them, so im just putting in my two cents alot :D

he meanes it as in the F1 off seasion like how it is in England ware most of the F1 teames are based. but sato if it meanes anything im on your side when it comes to MW and well most things just not this DC thing because i like the guy

i'm not a great dc fan as it has been painful watcing him battle through the last 2 seasons, but i will never forget his move on m$ at magny cours a few years back. way to stick it to the man!

but i think he was the only sensible choice for red bull as klien is sub-par and liuzzi is a risk. i would prefer liuzzi to klien, but the boss is austrian, so it looks like klien will prevail.

I agree with you 100%, he deserves it, now its time to prove what he can do...

I couldn't agree more. This will be a real test for him. I believe he is well know for his car setup skills. They will come in handy.

On the other hand, neither Kimi or JPM are known for there setup skills. It will be interesting to see how they adapt.

But, I'm glad to see DC have a ride next year too. In fact, we might see quite alot of JV vs DC this year. That could be some good racing.

DC is there because of his experience, and its a no brainer that pairing an experienced driver with a young charger is the way to go, especially for a "new" team like RBR. On a sidenote, Ant Davidson was their first choice, but BAR blocked the move, hence DC stepping up.

GOOD FOR DC.......HE MAY NOW "RECHARGE BATTERIES"AFTER SO MANY FRUSTRATING YEARS BEING NUMBER 2 TO HAKKINEN AND RAIKKONEN...I THINK HE'LL FACE A STRONG CHALLENGE BY HIS TEAM MATE KLIEN..THE GUY MAY SURPRISE THIS YEAR AND SHUT UP SOMEONE....

I'm very glad for DC that he got the drive, it comes as no surprise that he's thrashing klien and liuzzi in testing. But remember is still the Jag team with a different coat of paint on the car so I dont expect we'll see much of dc or klien anyway cos they'll be fighting to get in the top 10. I expect toyota to be much better with gascoyne, ralf & trulli

GOOD FOR DC.......HE MAY NOW "RECHARGE BATTERIES"AFTER SO MANY FRUSTRATING YEARS BEING NUMBER 2 TO HAKKINEN AND RAIKKONEN...I THINK HE'LL FACE A STRONG CHALLENGE BY HIS TEAM MATE KLIEN..THE GUY MAY SURPRISE THIS YEAR AND SHUT UP SOMEONE....

Do you seriously think the BAR's , Maclaren, Williams & Ferrari will take a second look at DC even if he drives the Jag to the bone? This just gives him time to ease into retirement without going cold-turkey!!

DC will do a much better job in a red bull than webber would have. He may not get in a top car again but he'll prove a lot of people wrong!

Do you seriously think the BAR's , Maclaren, Williams & Ferrari will take a second look at DC even if he drives the Jag to the bone? This just gives him time to ease into retirement without going cold-turkey!!

I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT DC!!!MY LAST PHRASE WAS RELATED TO KLIEN!!!I AGREE WITH YOU THAT TOP TEAMS WILL NO MORE TAKE A LOOK AT COULTHARD!!!

Well it seems only a formality by RB in announcing DC as their driver. But I had a question that maybe someone could answer.

As I understand it, Klein cannot be hired as the test driver as he had too many races for JAG in 2004. Silly rule, but that is the current situation. But how come Ron Dennis was saying he would hire DC if he didn't find a seat for 2005 as their test driver. Is that a double standard? Really the situation at RB is rather odd. Luizzi is clearly the better driver and should get seat #2. But as it stands, they can't make Klein the test driver, and give Luizzi the #2 seat. So they either have to not use Klein at all, or Luizzi becomes the test driver.

He means relative to the performance of webber in jag. But yes, I agree with you Williams are always a threat to look out for.

And welcome to the forums.

Williams should be red-faced at the results they got when you consider their budget. I am sure Minardi would have been further up the grid with the same resources. So yes they bother alot of people why they are misfiring!!

I never really liked DC probably because the lucky b#####d has  had only good cars and well... But I changed my mind, Dc clearly deserves a seat at Red Bull where he'll prove whether or not he is a top driver, I must admit I'm impressed by his motivation

I thought he would be the next guy to give MS nightmares after Hakinnen and he tried quite hard, but he fizzled out and struggled inexplicably in 2003 & 2004. I would have been impressed if he picked himself up and did a good job in 2004, given that in their worst ever year he still had the more reliable of the Maclaren chargers - a top driver does not have two off seasons!

I think when Ron says he would have DC as a test driver, he doesn't mean a 3rd driver like Davidson/Briscoe/Wirdheim, he means a replacement for De La Rosa or Wurz

Actually Ron said if there were 3rd cars for each team then DC would drive it. And I don't think it was a replacement for Wurz or Delarosa, he probably would have had him as the reserve driver.(in case JPM or KM could'nt race)

ok my bad calm down Britain-hater, u do have something against us otherwise u wouldn't say that DR is bad simply cos he's british