Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Senna

'dc Should Have Told Dennis To Shove It'

from planetf1.com:

'DC should have told Dennis to shove it'

Thursday January 13 2005

If David Coulthard had stood up to Ron Dennis during his time at McLaren, the Scot rather than Mika Hakkinen could have been a double World Champion, that is according to former F1 driver Damon Hill.

Although both Coulthard and Hakkinen swear it was a gentlemen's agreement that resulted in DC gifting his team-mate the victory at the last race of the 1997 season at Jerez, Hill doesn't believe their story.

Instead the 1996 Champ is adamant that it was an order from Dennis that forced Coulthard to move over and allow Hakkinen to claim his first ever GP victory.

The following season, however, it was definitely team orders that once again had Coulthard handing the win to the Finn. At the season-opener in Australia, DC was told to slow down and let Hakkinen take the victory after one of the Finn's pit stops was fumbled.

That triumph was just the boost Hakkinen needed to go on and win the 1998 Drivers' Championship title. He went on to repeat the feat the following year, while his team-mate could only manage third and fourth in the standings those same years.

However, according to Hill, it could have been the other way around if DC had just stood up to Dennis.

"If you are really dissecting DC's career, what he should have done is won in Jerez," he told Autosport Magazine.

"When Ron got on the radio and said: 'Can you move over for my boy Mika', he should have said: 'F*** you, you t**t'."

Coulthard, though, won't have the chance to utter those words to Dennis during a race, as he's no longer driving for McLaren. Having been replaced by Juan Pablo Montoya, the Scot went on to sign a one-year deal with Red Bull Racing.

And Hill has urged him to be more selfish during his time with F1's newest team, instead of doing his best to avoid rocking the boat.

"He's got an opportunity to stick two fingers up to everything and just drive like he can," Hill added.

"David's very talented but for too long he's been too concerned about how he comes across."

"He's had ample opportunity to show what he can do but he's not going to get many more cracks of the whip."

Another former F1 driver Eddie Irvine also gave his views on DC's switch to Red Bull.

The Ulsterman said: "Coming from McLaren he's going to get the shock of a lifetime."

"It's going to be very frustrating for him because when you work for a top team you really don't realise how much effort goes in to making things happen."

"But, realistically, it's all over as there are too many young guys coming in that are better."

DAMON MIGHT BE A FRIEND OF COULTHARD BUT THIS IS TOO MUCH FOR ME:::::::::::HAKKINEN NEEDED THAT VICTORY TO GAIN CONFIDENCE IN HIMSELF HE SEEMED TO HAVE LOST IT AFTER HIS CRASH AT ADELAIDE AND ALTOUGH HE CAME NEAR TO WIN HE WAS VERY UNLUCKY SO DENNIS UNDERSTOOD THAT IF HE WOULD HAVE EARNED HIS FIRST VICTORY HE COULD HAVE EXPRESSED HIS TALENT WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM::::AND SO IT WAS!!!COULTHARD WAS INFERIOR COMPARING TO HAKKINEN AND IS INFERIOR COMPARING TO RAIKKONEN AND HE HAS FULLY SHOWED IT!HE IS NOT A DRIVER CAPABLE OF WINNING A WDC AT LEAST

I dunno what Hill's been smoking, but DC could never be a WDC even if he'd won in Jerez and Melbourne those years.

Probably Marijuana, you saw his pic in the F1 Racing Mag with the Jean Todt interview? I literally backed away from the magazine I was so frightened. BTW, 'Shove It' was said by Teresa Heinz Kerry to a reporter here in the US, don't know how many of you knew that.

Probably Marijuana, you saw his pic in the F1 Racing Mag with the Jean Todt interview? I literally backed away from the magazine I was so frightened. BTW, 'Shove It' was said by Teresa Heinz Kerry to a reporter here in the US, don't know how many of you knew that.

Nah he was obviously on ... Red Bull.... mixed with ....

Pick your option.... Vodka

Whisky

p**s

Grass

Coke

XTC

or all of the above!! :lol: Imagine if DC did tell Ron where to go, now that would have made things very interesting, especially as it was very clear Ron favoured Mika over DC.