Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kaciaj

12-lap Qualifying 'best' - Todt

12-lap quali 'best' - Todt - 17 January 2005

Jean Todt would like to see F1 qualifying revert to the '12-lap'/one-hour format of pre-2003.

'I think that's the best method,' said Ferrari's leading Frenchman, pressed for his opinion on the 2005 Saturday/Sunday aggregate system at a media conference in Italy.

Todt said single-lap qualifying came in to 'try to penalise Ferrari.' It's also suggested that rival teams would like to further modify the 2005 format to remove another Ferrari advantage.

'I repeat,' JT concluded, 'that I prefer the old system.

I agree with him altough I hate Ferrari dominance and Ferrari fans..if the rival teams want to beat them they have to do it on their own performances and not changing rules...It is also useless because they have dominated this year...

single lap qualifying is much more interesting. Plus the added fact you start on the feul u end that session with.

single lap qualifying is much more interesting. Plus the added fact you start on the feul u end that session with.

Yes it introduces an unknown into the race and penalises drivers who use more fuel in the race by forcing them to qualifying with the fuel but what are the virtues of aggregate timing? It

Yes it introduces an unknown into the race and penalises drivers who use more fuel in the race by forcing them to qualifying with the fuel but what are the virtues of aggregate timing? It

I totally agree again, this aggregate timing thiong is absolutely terrible! Also, how are we gonna watch that on TV, thats my question.

It will be a challenge for the commentators to inform the general public about what

I reckon the old 12 laps was heaps better. More chance to see the cars going around has got to be better value for money. Yes the fuel load thing does ad a little intrest to the start of the race.

12 lap quali used to have us all on the edges of our seats. Did not matter that we had to suffer 30 minutes of inactivity, one-lap quali does not let the adrenalin kick in, cars starting in reverse mode of finishing (last race) is just a handicap for excellence (and yeah! Ferrari penned that one with FIA!!)

12 lap quali never had me on the edge of my seat, it was boring. I watch every quali on live timing except Australia since i get to watch that on TV. when it was 12 lap quali i could care less, until it was over and i knew who was starting where.

I don't get why they changed the 2003 format. It made Friday meaningful and the one-lap notion was positive in my view as small teams got tv coverage, the excuse of being blocked was gone, and it was easier to follow on live timings!!

I don't get why they changed the 2003 format. It made Friday meaningful and the one-lap notion was positive in my view as small teams got tv coverage, the excuse of being blocked was gone, and it was easier to follow on live timings!!

I agree.

I definately prefer 12-lap qualifying. Didn't bother me that there might be 20mins of nothing happening, I would have my lunch and listen to the commentators chatting f1!! and then there's the excitement of the last 10mins or so of qualifying, and people getting blocked in traffic creating further drama. It was only changed because of the stupid TV companies

I don't really care, 1 lap, 12 laps, single time aggregate. We don't get TV coverage of qualifing, and Live time on the net is not IMO worth getting up in the middle of the night for. So I only get the final results anyway. So my vote is for whatever will silence the majority.

The 12 laps were great. As we dont get tv coverage it was great to watch the live timing and read all the comments and see the battle raging. With the one lap I just found it boring, in fact I am thinking of not going to the Saturday at Melbourne this year as it is boring. You Europeans get it good having qualifying on live, I loved it whilst I was there

We don't get TV coverage of qualifing, and Live time on the net is not IMO worth getting up in the middle of the night for.  So I only get the final results anyway.  So my vote is for whatever will silence the majority.

well we got coverage until 2003.ESPN_STAR were really good but they brought in some stupid system that pay channels could be viewed only with an equipment(costs a chunk that). So presently we are'nt getting F-1 coverage :(

I agree with you. More excitement for the fans

Agreed, small teams and their sponsors get the tv time they would usually not get during the race due to the temas like Ferrari, BAR, McLaren, Renault, and Williams.