Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Massa

I Want A Favorite Driver Or Team

If I don't have anyone to support, or if who I support has no chance whatsoever, I don't enjoy the sport very much.

Convince me to like someone.

Looking at the standings:

Vettel - He is such a c*ck to begin with, and then he wins a lot, so he's really a c*ck.

Button - I have nothing against him, good guy. I can't figure out why I can't really get behind him. Maybe you can convince me.

Alonso - Plays too dirty. Used to like him a lot.

Webber - Outright ***hole. Not for me.

Hamilton - Lose the sunglasses, beard thing, earrings, ego, stupidity, etc. Really not into the "image" he projects.

Beyond that, it's a bunch of no-hopers; of them, I like Massa and no one else. Barrichello when he isn't being a b**** but he's a b**** too often. But again, it's no fun supporting mid-packers.

Robert Wickens is my true favorite, but he'll likely be at Marussia Virgin if anywhere next year, so...that will be tough.

You don't follow our sport enough to care, or enough for me to try and make you care. Buy in or get out.

But here's why you should like Hamilton;

nicole.jpg

You don't follow our sport enough to care, or enough for me to try and make you care. Buy in or get out.

Your sport?

F1 isn't sport. No auto racing is.

Your sport?

It's a damned-sight closer to a sport than anything else out there, but yes, all racing is a sport-like game now.

That's beside the point (or is it 'besides' the point? I'm never quite sure...)

I'll seriously answer your question. From what I know of you, excellence isn't the only qualification for you supporting a team or driver. There's gotta be something more to it. Some bit of personality that can carry your support through the tough times that inevitably happen.

So.

Teams.

I don't recommend supporting any team. The image a team projects is very dependent on the driver's they hire and that changes every few years. If you must support a team, my pick for you is McLaren. They're no more dishonest and cheating than their competitors (despite the Ferrari issues of a few years ago...which a smart person would correctly recognize as being the fault of a few persons, not the team as a whole), they have a distinguished pedigree of wins, they have an impressive history of unique drivers, and they aren't dominating the sport 100%. They have ups and downs. I suppose you should try to catch some BBC coverage (pre and post race) to hear Whitmarsh interviewed. BBC have a good relationship with a few teams, McLaren being one of them, and you get a feel, race after race, for the warp and weave of a team just by them being interviewed throughout the season. But all this is only a half-hearted attempt to point you towards a team. As I have said, I don't suggest you follow a team unless your chosen driver is employed by them. That leads me to....

Drivers.

Here's where the rubber meets the road. This is the business end of a race car. You can really get behind the drivers in a way you can never do with a team. Most people here on this forum would expect me to suggest Hamilton. Truthfully, there's no reason why you shouldn't support him. He's dynamic in the car and races with a brass set of balls. I can forgive the teenage hip-hop image just to see him shoot for the gap every other Sunday. But I don't see him as 'your' driver.

So.

So.

Kamui Kobayashi. Cowboy-ashi himself. This kid is the genuine deal. The complete McNugget combo with a Super Size of win. He's got a humble personality (BBC coverage, you gotta get this) and he drives like a bat out of hell. He defends his position with grace and passes opponents in ways reminiscent of Hamilton and JPM but without the drama. His driving style is clean and his racing is clean as well. As close to a gentleman racer as you can get. He combines the fluid, gentlemanly approach of Button with the brass balls of Hamilton. He never complains or whines when bad luck or the team's mistakes hit him. He never makes excuses when he f ucks up. If you watch the BBC coverage, Brundle, who is cynical and critical of even the best drivers, rarely has anything bad to say about Cowboyashi. In fact, Brundle has shown open delight when talking about him.

Perhaps the biggest reason to support the young Japanese driver is this: Where so many drivers have went into the last corner of Montreal too hot and have hit the 'wall of champions', Kamui, who also went in too hot, aimed his car like a missile towards the apex, pulled out his Big Balls, kept his foot planted, and drifted away from the wall, arse-end hanging out and almost sideways. I swear I saw Gilles behind the wheel for a moment. Anyone who can invoke the memory of Gilles is worthy of support.

I think, Eric, you're too busy finding faults in drivers to actually appreciate anything they are either doing on track or the team is doing, or any other reason one might want to enjoy F1. Just take it as it comes...I have no favourites, yet still love the sport.

Your sport?

Allow me to disagree here, F1 is not only a sport it is the best one, there was a time I couldn't understand why some so called sports are denominated as one, but the truth is that sport is competition and we have competition in F1, some people call Rooster fighting a sport or chess even billiard or pool if those are sports then F1 it is one, as for the physical shape of the drivers I don't think you can find in any other sport an athlete so fit as a F1 driver so yes it is a sport and if you want to support a driver or a team go for a driver as you may find your team with two drivers that you hate but if you support a driver you can always blame his team for the lack of results :P

Liuzzi.

Everybody else is going to put a footprint on his biography.

Fixed.

Allow me to disagree here, F1 is not only a sport it is the best one, there was a time I couldn't understand why some so called sports are denominated as one, but the truth is that sport is competition and we have competition in F1, some people call Rooster fighting a sport or chess even billiard or pool if those are sports then F1 it is one, as for the physical shape of the drivers I don't think you can find in any other sport an athlete so fit as a F1 driver so yes it is a sport and if you want to support a driver or a team go for a driver as you may find your team with two drivers that you hate but if you support a driver you can always blame his team for the lack of results :P

Sport and Game. You need to know the difference between the two if you want to call something a 'sport'. Sport comes from word 'disport' which meant 'amusement or diversion'. There is no thought about competition or rules. Pipe collecting is referred to as a 'sport' even today and carries the original meaning of 'diversion' with it. Games, on the other hand, exist only within the framework of rules and points and competitors.

With this, you see that original auto racing, where the only rule was to win, fell more within the scope of 'sport'. Today, with the vast rule framework and points system, F1 (and all racing for that matter) is really a game.

I make this distinction because it puts auto racing in the proper perspective. Soccer (football, whatever) needs rules to exist. It is a game. Auto racing can exist quite well with one rule: the car that crosses the finish line first wins. The essence of auto racing is sport and it's crucial to understand that when evaluating F1's problems and successes. The more rules a pasttime has, the more it slides from 'sport' towards 'game'.

If I don't have anyone to support, or if who I support has no chance whatsoever, I don't enjoy the sport very much.

Convince me to like someone.

Looking at the standings:

Vettel - He is such a c*ck to begin with, and then he wins a lot, so he's really a c*ck.

Button - I have nothing against him, good guy. I can't figure out why I can't really get behind him. Maybe you can convince me.

Alonso - Plays too dirty. Used to like him a lot.

Webber - Outright ***hole. Not for me.

Hamilton - Lose the sunglasses, beard thing, earrings, ego, stupidity, etc. Really not into the "image" he projects.

Beyond that, it's a bunch of no-hopers; of them, I like Massa and no one else. Barrichello when he isn't being a b**** but he's a b**** too often. But again, it's no fun supporting mid-packers.

Robert Wickens is my true favorite, but he'll likely be at Marussia Virgin if anywhere next year, so...that will be tough.

Vettel - He is such a c*ck to begin with, and then he wins a lot, so he's really a c*ck. Vettel is a c#ck, I cant like him no matter how hard I try.

Button - I have nothing against him, good guy. I can't figure out why I can't really get behind him. Maybe you can convince me. I have exactly the same problem.

Alonso - Plays too dirty. Used to like him a lot. Yeah hes a bit precious.

Webber - Outright ***hole. Not for me. Thinks hes better than he is, face it mate youre a number two, sit back and enjoy the ride cause c#ckstick has your measure.

Hamilton - Lose the sunglasses, beard thing, earrings, ego, stupidity, etc. Really not into the "image" he projects. Hes an idiot. Correction, hes a ****ing idiototic little annoying little ****ing prick ****ing mommas boy.

Beyond that, it's a bunch of no-hopers; of them, I like Massa and no one else. Barrichello when he isn't being a b**** but he's a b**** too often. But again, it's no fun supporting mid-packers. Massa is a tool.

Dont worry mate, cause.....

KIMIS COMING BACK!

I'll be perfectly honest here - I cannot enjoy f-1 this year either. For a while I was hoping that Kubi WOULD come back in October, but now it looks like he'll be lucky to get a ride for 2012. HOWEVER, I found it more exciting to follow his truggle and progress in returning to F1 then watching F-1 itself. It's when he is not competing that allowed me to realize just how much fun he brought to the sport. So, do as I do - support an underdog's effort to return! He is a good guy and every one wishes him well. So, join the fun!

I don't actually support anyone, but there are a few drivers that I have more time for - mainly because they seem more mature, level headed and/or entertaining...

Kobayashi (got to love his racing style but unlike Hamilton, he doesn't pout when things don't go his way)

Perez & di Resta (mature and level headed every time I've seen them thus far)

Kovalainen (I think he's always been under estimated and should be further up the grid, but it's nice to see him battling away without complaint in his Lotus - many other drivers couldn't/wouldn't do that)

Petrov (it's the Bond villain accent that does it for me)

Kubi (if/when he comes back and if he's on form, he's always a pleasure to watch).

Now okay - none of those drivers are going to set the world alight any time soon, but I'm happy when they achieve better than expected results and that happens fairly often.

Here's the thing though - I'm not bothered that these guys don't win races since I'm never going to become too wound up in their fortunes. It occurs to me that you want to invest yourself a bit more in one driver - on that score I can't really help you. I've always found that associating oneself too much with any sports person / political party etc etc blurs a person's objectivity. Whenever I see people identifying too much with one person/team/party they end up speaking crap because they won't accept that their chosen deity can do any wrong. Blind faith never did anyone any good - unless you're talking about the band, in which case I thought Derek and the Dominoes was perhaps a better period in Clapton's artistic output.

Fixed.

Sport and Game. You need to know the difference between the two if you want to call something a 'sport'. Sport comes from word 'disport' which meant 'amusement or diversion'. There is no thought about competition or rules. Pipe collecting is referred to as a 'sport' even today and carries the original meaning of 'diversion' with it. Games, on the other hand, exist only within the framework of rules and points and competitors.

With this, you see that original auto racing, where the only rule was to win, fell more within the scope of 'sport'. Today, with the vast rule framework and points system, F1 (and all racing for that matter) is really a game.

I make this distinction because it puts auto racing in the proper perspective. Soccer (football, whatever) needs rules to exist. It is a game. Auto racing can exist quite well with one rule: the car that crosses the finish line first wins. The essence of auto racing is sport and it's crucial to understand that when evaluating F1's problems and successes. The more rules a pasttime has, the more it slides from 'sport' towards 'game'.

In Spanish sport is defined as a mixture of both your sports and games as you put it here, this is what it says about it in Wikipedia:

El deporte es toda aquella actividad física que involucra una serie de reglas o normas a desempeñar dentro de un espacio o área determinada (campo de juego, cancha, tablero, mesa, entre otros).

Sport is all physical activity that involve a series of rules or laws to act between a determined area (Field, court, board, table among others).

I know meaning can change from one language to another but the final point here as you well said it is that, Yes, F1 is a sport.

EDIT: I forgot the link to the Spanish definition of sport

But here's why you should like Hamilton;

nicole.jpg

This is excellent!!

It's a damned-sight closer to a sport than anything else out there, but yes, all racing is a sport-like game now.

That's beside the point (or is it 'besides' the point? I'm never quite sure...)

I'll seriously answer your question. From what I know of you, excellence isn't the only qualification for you supporting a team or driver. There's gotta be something more to it. Some bit of personality that can carry your support through the tough times that inevitably happen.

So.

Teams.

I don't recommend supporting any team. The image a team projects is very dependent on the driver's they hire and that changes every few years. If you must support a team, my pick for you is McLaren. They're no more dishonest and cheating than their competitors (despite the Ferrari issues of a few years ago...which a smart person would correctly recognize as being the fault of a few persons, not the team as a whole), they have a distinguished pedigree of wins, they have an impressive history of unique drivers, and they aren't dominating the sport 100%. They have ups and downs. I suppose you should try to catch some BBC coverage (pre and post race) to hear Whitmarsh interviewed. BBC have a good relationship with a few teams, McLaren being one of them, and you get a feel, race after race, for the warp and weave of a team just by them being interviewed throughout the season. But all this is only a half-hearted attempt to point you towards a team. As I have said, I don't suggest you follow a team unless your chosen driver is employed by them. That leads me to....

Drivers.

Here's where the rubber meets the road. This is the business end of a race car. You can really get behind the drivers in a way you can never do with a team. Most people here on this forum would expect me to suggest Hamilton. Truthfully, there's no reason why you shouldn't support him. He's dynamic in the car and races with a brass set of balls. I can forgive the teenage hip-hop image just to see him shoot for the gap every other Sunday. But I don't see him as 'your' driver.

So.

So.

Kamui Kobayashi. Cowboy-ashi himself. This kid is the genuine deal. The complete McNugget combo with a Super Size of win. He's got a humble personality (BBC coverage, you gotta get this) and he drives like a bat out of hell. He defends his position with grace and passes opponents in ways reminiscent of Hamilton and JPM but without the drama. His driving style is clean and his racing is clean as well. As close to a gentleman racer as you can get. He combines the fluid, gentlemanly approach of Button with the brass balls of Hamilton. He never complains or whines when bad luck or the team's mistakes hit him. He never makes excuses when he f ucks up. If you watch the BBC coverage, Brundle, who is cynical and critical of even the best drivers, rarely has anything bad to say about Cowboyashi. In fact, Brundle has shown open delight when talking about him.

Perhaps the biggest reason to support the young Japanese driver is this: Where so many drivers have went into the last corner of Montreal too hot and have hit the 'wall of champions', Kamui, who also went in too hot, aimed his car like a missile towards the apex, pulled out his Big Balls, kept his foot planted, and drifted away from the wall, arse-end hanging out and almost sideways. I swear I saw Gilles behind the wheel for a moment. Anyone who can invoke the memory of Gilles is worthy of support.

As a team supporter, I tend to disagree!!

I started watching F1 because I wanted to see Ferraris racing, well back in the day that is.

I believe teams are the heart of the sport and unless you are a Ferrari fan or seriously support a team for any reason, then this may be hard to understand!

I guess if you view F1 from a driver-oriented perspective, then you are bound to fall out of love with the sport.

To put it simply, I just want Ferrari to win every race and have the fastest drivers!! Many years may pass and many drivers will come and go, but I can always hope to see the team do well in the next GP, or hire the best driver in the field and try to get out of the midfield. I don't know if I 'll ever get tired of this, but I'm just as interested in the technical aspects of the sport, for which the team has to take the credit, not to take out the driver input or contribution.

I'm too much in a hurry to explain this well enough, but I 'll be back!!!

In Spanish sport is defined as a mixture of both your sports and games as you put it here, this is what it says about it in Wikipedia:

El deporte es toda aquella actividad física que involucra una serie de reglas o normas a desempeñar dentro de un espacio o área determinada (campo de juego, cancha, tablero, mesa, entre otros).

Sport is all physical activity that involve a series of rules or laws to act between a determined area (Field, court, board, table among others).

I know meaning can change from one language to another but the final point here as you well said it is that, Yes, F1 is a sport.

EDIT: I forgot the link to the Spanish definition of sport

Yes, the definition has gotten blurred in the past hundred years, sport meaning a physical game. But I feel it's important to draw a hard line between the two so we can judge what new rules are good or bad for racing. Think of it as a meter, with one end being sport and the other end being game. We should want F1 to be more sport than game.

The sport comment wasn't the least bit serious. Seriously, I don't know what is or isn't a sport, but I wouldn't think less of auto racing or anything else I watch if it wasn't a sport. To me, it's not like being a "sport" is very much of an honor, if things the majority consider sports actually are. Don't get me wrong, I love ice hockey, for example, but there's nothing stupider than people getting paid to do that or football or anything. In fact, being paid to do auto racing is pretty stupid, too...

But it's probably better I made the comment because it probably takes this thread somewhere better than where it could have gone.

Thanks for your post, Mike. Kobayashi's interesting. I'll need to investigate his personality further, and his hairstyle, and how he dresses away from the track, and all those important factors to me. I'm a fan of Sato and Yamamoto, so maybe it's meant to be. Kobayashi is the kind of driver I can like because, even if he isn't going to win, he can excite me with what he does. It's easier for me to support my beloved "almost-there" guys in American racing where there's always a chance for "WTF" moments (much more frequent in U.S. racing than F1, for whatever reason) where they actually end up getting a good result, and because, with all the passing, you at least get to cheer them on as they battle hard for whatever. Kobayashi seems to battle hard for whatever, so that's interesting...

Here's the thing though - I'm not bothered that these guys don't win races since I'm never going to become too wound up in their fortunes. It occurs to me that you want to invest yourself a bit more in one driver - on that score I can't really help you. I've always found that associating oneself too much with any sports person / political party etc etc blurs a person's objectivity. Whenever I see people identifying too much with one person/team/party they end up speaking crap because they won't accept that their chosen deity can do any wrong. Blind faith never did anyone any good - unless you're talking about the band, in which case I thought Derek and the Dominoes was perhaps a better period in Clapton's artistic output.

Meh. It's only a sport (or is it?). To me, I have no problems being objective about my favorites, and, quite honestly, I'm probably a lot more critical of them than anyone else. Besides, it's just supposed to be fun, and for me, the human emotions are fun. Attaching yourself to drivers, teams, players, whatever helps that for me. I just love the stories and I guess F1 struggles to give me stories I find interesting...

...until Michael Lewis tests for Scuderia Ferrari this winter for his efforts in Italian F3 and catches the attention of HRT and scores an improbable podium in the wet at Montréal. Then we're all okay.