Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JHS18

Generic Btcc Thread

Question: Is the Triple-8 outfit the same Triple-8 outfit that runs in V8 Supercars? Are they joined at the hip, cousins, or just both named Justin?

I'm not entirely sure. I guess they are...

Just looked on the source of everything, Wikipedia, and it seems they are. Apparently in 2003 Triple Eight expanded to the V8 Supercars in Australia, so I guess that answers the question. They first entered BTCC in 1997.

Latest team to confirm their plans are West Surrey Racing. They'll field three turbo charged BMWs for Collard, Foster and team returnee, Tom Onslow-Cole. Glad TOC's got a ride, he had a rough '11, but he's talented young driver, the likes of which BTCC needs.

st_7882_5d09.jpg

Tom Onslow-Cole will join Robert Collard and Nick Foster to make it three turbocharged BMWs run by WSR under the new eBay Motors team banner in 2012’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship, it has been announced this morning.

Surrey’s Onslow-Cole drove a BMW for WSR in his debut BTCC season in 2007 but has since competed for other privateer teams. Now very much one of the hottest young properties on the grid, the 24-year-old’s decision to rejoin his former squad alongside fellow regular front-runner Collard and Foster, who dazzled in his maiden BTCC campaign in 2011, surely means it boasts one of the strongest driver line-ups on the grid (see photo).

Onslow-Cole, from New Malden, said: “I’m excited to be joining eBay Motors for the 2012 season and to again be part of the WSR team with such a history of success. This season I am looking to challenge for regular podiums as we certainly have the car to be at the front of the grid. I am counting down the days until the new season and can’t wait to get started at Brands Hatch’s opening round on 1 April.”

Meanwhile all three of the WSR-fettled machines will be powered by Neil Brown Engineering-tuned BMW turbo engines (notably NBE also prepares the Honda turbo units for the factory Honda Racing and Pirtek Racing teams).

Furthermore, eBay Motors, the world’s leading online automotive marketplace, has increased its support of WSR to become title sponsor of the squad. Some are already tipping the rear-wheel-driven S2000-based BMWs fitted with specially tuned Next Generation Touring Car-specification engines from the German manufacturer as a formidable prospect – particularly given WSR’s renowned engineering abilities which won it the outright title in 2009.

WSR Team Principal d#ck Bennetts commented: “I believe eBay Motors has a very strong driver line-up for this year’s championship. We have worked with Rob, Nick and Tom in the past and together they make a fantastic team.

“We have been busy developing the cars over the winter, which will have new BMW turbocharged engines developed by Neil Brown Engineering. With the prospect of added horsepower and torque alongside our in-depth understanding of the BMW chassis we are expecting a very competitive season.”

Andrew Hooks, Head of Automotive at eBay, added: “The BTCC sponsorship has been a huge success for us so far and we are delighted to increase our involvement. The championship is a great fit with our target audience and gives us an opportunity to highlight the huge selection of parts, accessories and vehicles on our UK site. We look forward to a successful season as eBay Motors.”

Bit of news today.

Tony Gilham's confirmed he'll be driving a Honda Civic next year - but remains silent on which team will run him.

st_7888_545c.jpg

Tony Gilham has revealed he’ll race a turbocharged Honda Civic in 2012’s Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

Gilham has acquired the ex-Dynamics Honda Racing Civic driven to six race wins and runners-up spot in 2011’s BTCC by Gordon Shedden. It will continue to use a potent Neil Brown-tuned Honda turbo engine this season, although Gilham is remaining tight-lipped about which team will run the car.

Dartford racer Gilham was a popular addition to the BTCC grid last year and impressed many with a string of outright top ten points finishes in his first few events.

The 32-year-old clearly hopes to build on the lessons learnt in his debut season and told btcc.net: “Obviously I’m massively excited to have got my hands on one of the title-winning Hondas. Last year was a huge learning curve for me with a number of low points, but now I’ll be in a proven car and can’t wait to get going.

“I’ll also have technical support and advice from Dynamics and the reigning champion Matt Neal which is going to be invaluable. Hopefully I’ll be announcing who will run the car for me soon so watch this space!”

Also, Ben Edward's replacement as lead commentator has been announced. He is Toby Moody, Eurosport's lead MotoGP commentator.

Toby Moody has been named as ITV's head commentator for this year's British Touring Car Championship.

Moody, 39, takes over from Ben Edwards, who has left his role to become BBC's Formula 1 commentator instead.

Best known for fronting Eurosport's MotoGP coverage for over 10 years, Moody is relishing the challenge presented by the BTCC.

"Ben Edwards did a wonderful job and leaves big boots to fill, but I love a good challenge and this certainly is one," Moody told AUTOSPORT.

"The BTCC is a fantastic championship with close racing - which I adore – and I have really great memories of watching the Sierra Cosworths and RS500s in the late eighties.

"It's true that most of my recent work has been in bikes – since 1996 in fact – but I'm a car guy at heart who converted to bikes, and I've kept my foot in ever since, commentating at Shelsley Walsh, the Goodwood Festival of Speed and the Silverstone Classic.

"Plus I've got Tim Harvey – a former champion and a very amiable and knowledgeable guy – alongside me and I'm raring to go."

Moody will continue his MotoGP commentary role for Eurosport this year alongside his BTCC commitments and will also write regular two-wheeled columns for AUTOSPORT.

Meanwhile, Paul O'Neill says he hopes to have something sorted within the next two weeks - but admits things are pretty bleak. Elsewhere, Thorney Motorsport will confirm their drivers next week, one of whom is believed to be Aron Smith, who impressed at Knockhill. Lastly, Honda have released first teaser images of their finished car:

418613_302907866434313_155336084524826_805066_1114364177_n.jpg

430981_302907906434309_155336084524826_805067_1477944459_n.jpg

Seems to have the same problem Ben Edwards has...thinks the viewer will tune out or get lost or whatever if he isn't talking non-stop telling us everything we can see. There's a balance between enthusiasm and just being shouty. Paul Page has an Emmy Award for his coverage of the Indy 500 in 1989; one of the greatest finishes to Indy ever and he and his team stayed quiet. Let the race come to them, when they spoke, it was worth it. It made it so dramatic, so intense. We need more patient baseball commentators and less ice hockey ALL CAPS ALL THE TIMES commentators, in my opinion. I've heard Ben Edwards, on multiple occasions, say the same thing over and over just because he was afraid to stop talking. The BTCC finale last year, at one point, he said "Mat Jackson is out of the championship" after his tire trouble at least four or five times in succession. Papa Massa and I laughed about that. I know some people like this style, of course, and think it fits in with the nature of BTCC, so fair to them. Leigh Diffey and Rick Allen are like that, too, in fact most "younger" motor racing commentators in their late 30s or early 40s are like that (Edwards, I recall, isn't very old) a bit. I think a lot of these guys are either studying radio commentary or being told this is the right way or what the 18-34 demographic needs to stay engaged. Not my personal preference; watching the Rolex 24, the difference between Bob Varsha's approach and Leigh Diffey's made one seem like a complete professional and the other seem like a guy in the bleachers. Maybe they want to have that feel, I don't know...

Sorry for taking a dump in your thread and turning it into "waaah I hate all the commentators." :P

Carry on. I always try to catch a lot of these live and then watch the stuff I miss on SPEED in the winter. It's been a decent system. Hopefully there's some good racing.

Seems to have the same problem Ben Edwards has...thinks the viewer will tune out or get lost or whatever if he isn't talking non-stop telling us everything we can see. There's a balance between enthusiasm and just being shouty. Paul Page has an Emmy Award for his coverage of the Indy 500 in 1989; one of the greatest finishes to Indy ever and he and his team stayed quiet. Let the race come to them, when they spoke, it was worth it. It made it so dramatic, so intense. We need more patient baseball commentators and less ice hockey ALL CAPS ALL THE TIMES commentators, in my opinion. I've heard Ben Edwards, on multiple occasions, say the same thing over and over just because he was afraid to stop talking. The BTCC finale last year, at one point, he said "Mat Jackson is out of the championship" after his tire trouble at least four or five times in succession. Papa Massa and I laughed about that. I know some people like this style, of course, and think it fits in with the nature of BTCC, so fair to them. Leigh Diffey and Rick Allen are like that, too, in fact most "younger" motor racing commentators in their late 30s or early 40s are like that (Edwards, I recall, isn't very old) a bit. I think a lot of these guys are either studying radio commentary or being told this is the right way or what the 18-34 demographic needs to stay engaged. Not my personal preference; watching the Rolex 24, the difference between Bob Varsha's approach and Leigh Diffey's made one seem like a complete professional and the other seem like a guy in the bleachers. Maybe they want to have that feel, I don't know...

Sorry for taking a dump in your thread and turning it into "waaah I hate all the commentators." :P

Carry on. I always try to catch a lot of these live and then watch the stuff I miss on SPEED in the winter. It's been a decent system. Hopefully there's some good racing.

Warning: I am drunk. But please don't tell me you just criticised Toby Moody! Honestly, if you follow MotoGP you would know he is just a great commentator. He and Julian Ryder are like two friends just watching the race in a pub, and their friendship and humour just comes across so well during the races (so much so that, a lot of people prefer watching Eurosport's delayed MotoGP coverage instead of BBC's). I think you'd grow to love the guy Eric!

Ben Edwards I do not know about, but Brundle and DC were just so good for me that I doubt he can live up to that this year with the F1 commentary.

If you're implying that it's unfair for me to pass judgment after hearing three minutes and change of the guy, then yeah, must be the alcohol. :P

Yeah, I know what you mean. I think Ben is a pretty good commentator, but he and Tim Harvey have had some good moments and real terrible moments at the BTCC.

Take this for instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2losyrki0w

Okay, I'll admit this was more Harvey's fault than Edwards, blabbering on about how the Audi was involved when it had gone off in a completely seperate incident and it was actually Shedden involved like the track side commentators realised straight away BUUUT someone of Edward's calibre should have spotted that. It's pretty obvious from the multiple replays.

Random shouty moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRkxpYLKKwQ&feature=related

Another random shouty moment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU&feature=related

Actually pretty good Ben Edwards moment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6so8be16mL4

I'm spotting a general theme. Plato gets Edwards excited. :P

I'll admit - it'll be a strange change for me. All I've ever associated BTCC commentary with is Edwards. He has been the commentator for the ten plus years I've been following the series. So I think to start with, however good Moody is it'll take me time to really accept the change.

But if the racing's as good as ever, that'll take my mind off it.

Also, Thorney Motorsport have released a series of photoshopped liveries ahead of an announcement later this week. According to them:

These are people we've approached, there is a poll on our FB page, we get enough votes might be persuasive for a sponsor?

A few of my favourites:

430649_10150574411463182_111583438181_9042398_1869665046_n.jpg

428304_10150574412273182_111583438181_9042403_1413233863_n.jpg

404783_10150574412568182_111583438181_9042405_104884518_n.jpg

425487_10150574433768182_111583438181_9042426_438037395_n.jpg

You can see the full collection here.

The Monster one looks sharp!

Yeah, I've always liked the Monster themed liveries that have been in the World Rally Championship and whatnot.

To be honest, I'm quite dubious by some of those. I guess there's a chance the likes of Silverline, Halfords, etc, may become involved seeing as they have history in the BTCC before, but honestly, I think there's more chance in hell freezing over than Red Bull, Monster, Relentless or Mad Croc becoming involved. But I'd be happily proved wrong.

It's nice to see the team causing a bit of interest with this, but they do need a big sponsor. In other classes they've raced in, Tesco Momentum 99 has been their title sponsor, and of course, they're involved with Triple 8 and MG now. But they still seem quite confident they'll get two/three cars out for the season, and all will be revealed some time this week it seems.

Maybe it is me being a tad cynical, but perhaps the most likely one is Unipart on the basis there's two mocked up versions of that and no others. I really would be quite shocked if at this stage a deal hadn't been done - particularly with this announcement.

To borrow Eric's Sparknotes: They probably have a sponsor already.

Motorbase are the latest team to confirm their plans. Nice to see they're doing the season with three cars. Good that Jackson and Smith return, not so bothered about Griffin.

British Touring Car squad Motorbase Performance has signed Aron Smith to complete its three-car line-up for this season.Smith, who made his BTCC debut with Triple Eight Engineering at Knockhill last year, will drive alongside Motorbase regulars Mat Jackson and Liam Griffin. All three will drive the Ford Focus S2000 chassis, with Mountune turbo engines, that the team fielded in 2011.

Team boss David Bartrum has already been impressed with Smith after the former Renault Clio Cup ace tested at Brands Hatch and Snetterton.

"Aron settled straight in to the team and I'm sure he will be competitive very quickly this year," he said. "We've been talking to him for a long time and he's a great prospect.

"He was very quick and very positive [at the tests]. We've already spoken about 2013 and it's nice to have the stability, and that buzz of a young driver who can work with Mat."

Smith (22), who was the 2011 Motorsport Ireland Dunlop Young Racing Driver of the Year, added: "I couldn't be more excited about this season. The past two years have literally been building up to this moment.

"Motorbase is the type of team I know I'll feel right at home in, this all feels like a dream come true and I can't wait for the racing to begin."

Okay, so I haven't updated this in a while.

Thorney made their announcement - they still haven't got a title sponsor, but do have a major tie-up with The Sun newspaper. Also, they confirmed that Britcar front runner Rob Hedley will be in the second Insignia. Have to admit, I don't know too much about him, but it seems as if he has potential. The second car will run from the fourth round at Oulton Park onwards.

So basically the grid is almost confirmed. All we are waiting for now is:

Rob Austin Racing - Confirmed two car entry a long time a go, so they'll definitely be there. Just waiting for driver confirmation. It looks as if Rob Austin could be driving one of the two cars again, but the second car is very open. Turkington still has a chance, but there's also Chris Swanwick, who did Brands and Silverstone with the team last season.

Dynojet - Again, practically confirmed. Title sponsorship from Mac Tools means it is very likely rookie of the year Frank Wrathall will once again be on the grid. Single car entry. New shape Avensis.

Welch Automotive - Also very likely. Confusion over whether the team will remain a one or two car outfit. Initially it looked likely it'd be two cars, and the team confirmed a "new car" was being built. Whether that is a second car or simply an evolution of the existing car remains to be seen.

Tech Speed - Team famously runs on a shoe string budget and has been very quiet over the winter. If they return, it will most likely be with turbo engined Cruzes, one for John George looks likely, but there's still uncertainty surrounding Paul O'Neill's future.

Special Tuning Racing - Confirmed two car team a long time ago, but yet to confirm any drivers. With Newsham at ES Racing and Boardman returning to the WTCC, some remain sceptical as to whether they'll return at all. Once again may only see one car out for the start of the season, like in 2011.

Geoff Steel Racing - Still hoping to field a single car entry, a NGTC engined BMW which they ran at Silverstone. Been very quiet over the winter and Gilham's left the team, so again, some doubts remain over their future.

TH Motorsport - Had been hoping to run an NGTC Skoda Octavia before a major backer pulled out. Conflicting sources as to whether the car has actually been started or not, but unlikely we'll see it out this season. Still a chance the team could run a Vectra for Matt Hamilton.

Otherwise the grid is looking very strong at the moment. It is likely that there could be 24-25 cars on the grid for Brands Hatch, and traditionally that only grows throughout the year. Remember, Media Day is on the 19th of March.

Honda Racing revealed their livery today - have to say I like it. Andy Jordan's at the presentation too, so maybe a chance we'll get to see his livery later today.

btcc12031201.jpg

btcc12031201-b.jpg

btcc12031201-c.jpg

Hmm, possibly, although they have been having some engine issues in testing.

It'll be interesting to see what MG can do - and of course, don't discount someone like Jackson either. He's in an S2000, but he's always a contender. Could have done it last year had it not been for some terrible luck Knockhill onwards.

I'm curious to see if WSR can improve now they have turbos too - and of course, there's still RAR, Dynojet, Welch Automotive and Speedworks who all have a year of NGTC experience over Honda. I think this year will be competitive.

Andy Jordan's tweeted his car will be revealed this Thursday. Media Day is on the Monday.

I'm sure it'll be competitive, always is, but I just figure Honda are going to be competitive more frequently than any other team can be. Testing kinks get worked out, and the races aren't too long.

And me figuring they'll take the title doesn't mean they will. :P

As promised, Andy Jordan's car has been revealed for this year.

1331805945.jpg

9wrqu.jpg

Couple of pictures of it testing at Brands today as well:

btcc12031501.jpg

btcc12031501-b.jpg

Quite a few teams testing today including Motorbase, WSR, Honda and ES Racing.

So today is Media Day, and the grid has been announced. 25 cars to start with - very strong entry. Pictures will come throughout the day.

1. Matt Neal (GBR), Honda Yuasa Racing Team, Honda Civic**

4. Mat Jackson (GBR), Redstone Racing, Ford Focus ST

5. Aron Smith (IRL), Redstone Racing, Ford Focus ST

6. Liam Griffin (GBR), Redstone Racing , Ford Focus ST

8. Robert Collard (GBR), eBay Motors, BMW 320si

11. Frank Wrathall (GBR), Dynojet, Toyota Avensis**

12. Daniel Welch (GBR), Welch Motorsport with Sopp+Sopp, Proton Persona**

17. Dave Newsham (GBR), Team ES Racing.com, Vauxhall Vectra

18. Nick Foster (GBR), eBay Motors, BMW 320si

31. Mark Hazell (GBR), Rob Austin Racing, Audi A4**

33. Adam Morgan (GBR), Speedworks Motorsport, Toyota Avensis**

34. Tony Gilham (GBR), RCIB Insurance & HARD., Honda Civic

38. Tom Onslow-Cole (GBR), eBay Motors, BMW 320si

43. Lea Wood (GBR), BINZ Racing, Vauxhall Vectra

44. Andy Neate (GBR), MG KX Momentum Racing, MG6**

48. Ollie Jackson (GBR), AmD Tuning.com, VW Golf

50. Tony Hughes (GBR), Speedworks Motorsport, Toyota Avensis**

52. Gordon Shedden (GBR) Honda Yuasa Racing Team Honda Civic**

55. Jeff Smith (GBR), Pirtek Racing, Honda Civic**

66. John Thorne (GBR), Thorney Motorsport, Vauxhall Insignia VXR-R**

77. Andrew Jordan (GBR), Pirtek Racing, Honda Civic**

78. Chris James (GBR), Team ES Racing.com, Vauxhall Vectra

99. Jason Plato (GBR), MG KX Momentum Racing, MG6**

TBA. TBA, Rob Austin Racing, Audi A4**

TBA. TBA*, Thorney Motorsport, Vauxhall Insignia VXR-R**

**- full NGTC

*- from Oulton Park.

First reaction - shame not to see Paul O'Neill or Tech Speed there. The team historically runs on a shoe string budget. No STR either, which is perhaps no great surprise.

As promised, Andy Jordan's car has been revealed for this year.

1331805945.jpg

9wrqu.jpg

Couple of pictures of it testing at Brands today as well:

btcc12031501.jpg

btcc12031501-b.jpg

Quite a few teams testing today including Motorbase, WSR, Honda and ES Racing.

Awwwwww...its a wee widdle one of these....

e8_image_13.jpg

5134873421_ce454a604e.jpg

Haha yeah, I remember that car too.

Anyway, as promised, pictures. A lot of teams with new/different liveries/looks this year. Here it goes:

Hughes_Morgan1.jpg

James2.jpg

Jeff_Smith1.jpg

Redstone_Racing4.jpg

Thorney1.jpg