Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Kimi Returns - So What?

Its funny to read all these articles and expressions of opinion from old drivers and experts etc about how Kimi will struggle to adjust to F1 again. I call bs. Hes fast, full stop, he was fast off the bat at the start of his career in F1, he didnt have to adjust then, and he wont have to adjust now. hes not over the hill yet, unlike Schumaker.

No one knows, not even you.

He might come back and only be as fast as when he retired. Let's remind ourselves, that means he was not as fast as he used to be.

Add this to the mix; out of the loop, out of practice and a different team. Your assumption that this comeback will bear no resemblance to Schumacher's whatsoever might not be looking so solid after all.

But, I am being pessimistic, as always.

I'm sure he will be mighty.......

No one knows, not even you.

He might come back and only be as fast as when he retired. Let's remind ourselves, that means he was not as fast as he used to be.

Add this to the mix; out of the loop, out of practice and a different team. Your assumption that this comeback will bear no resemblance to Schumacher's whatsoever might not be looking so solid after all.

But, I am being pessimistic, as always.

I'm sure he will be mighty.......

He's focused and motivated... He WILL BE mighty... :D

a reader posted this in athread on JA's website...

Q&A Pedro de la Rosa

What do you think of Raikkonen’s return? Do you think he will be the same as before?

PdlR: Kimi is a great driver with whom I’ve worked with and for a lot. And I’ve always said that of all the drivers I’ve worked with, he’s probably the most brilliant. If Lotus can build a competitive car, Kimi could surprise this year.

Brad is so gay for Kimi right now.... :P

Just to prove u right....

Hembery was coy, however, when asked specifically about Raikkonen, the returning 2007 champion.

“I have met him twice,” he said. “He is a quiet guy and, anyway, we strive to keep our distance. The drivers turn to us when they need something.” He did not give anything away about Raikkonen’s first taste of life on Pirelli rubber, after the Finn’s Valencia test this week on demonstration tyres. “We didn’t monitor it at all, it was Lotus’ thing alone,” he insisted.

“Of course I saw his comments and it will be a big difference for him now compared to what he has known before.

“But Kimi is one of the most extraordinary drivers the sport has seen so I think he will learn quickly.”

“But Kimi is one of the most extraordinary drivers the sport has seen so I think he will learn quickly.”[/b]

Translation "Kimi is abnormal, with lots to learn".

Its funny to read all these articles and expressions of opinion from old drivers and experts etc about how Kimi will struggle to adjust to F1 again. I call bs. Hes fast, full stop, he was fast off the bat at the start of his career in F1, he didnt have to adjust then, and he wont have to adjust now. hes not over the hill yet, unlike Schumaker.

Me too, I don't know why all these people are talking about that, if a rookie can come to F1 and adapt right away to the sport just like Hamilton did who was challenging for victories and podiums since his first race then I just can't see a reason why Kimi should struggle to adapt I think the only down side will be how fast his car will be, it just doesn't make any sense to talk about adapting to F1 other way there wouldn't be rookies in the sports or they would not shine until they spend several years adapting to the sport, I guess a rookie should have a harder time adapting than someone who already knows the sport.

a reader posted this in athread on JA's website...

Q&A Pedro de la Rosa

What do you think of Raikkonen’s return? Do you think he will be the same as before?

PdlR: Kimi is a great driver with whom I’ve worked with and for a lot. And I’ve always said that of all the drivers I’ve worked with, he’s probably the most brilliant. If Lotus can build a competitive car, Kimi could surprise this year.

This is great coming from an Spaniard who also worked with Alonso :whistling:

Was it not the case that Hamilton had a lot of testing miles before he started his first GP though? It's a different climate now, and it's not something Raikkonen will have. But yes, getting back into the groove shouldn't be such a big problem. Unlike Schumi, he's still at the right age to do it and he has kept his reflexes alive in rallying during his absence from F1 (well, I think they failed him a few times..), so I'm hopeful of good things.

Me too, I don't know why all these people are talking about that, if a rookie can come to F1 and adapt right away to the sport just like Hamilton did who was challenging for victories and podiums since his first race then I just can't see a reason why Kimi should struggle to adapt I think the only down side will be how fast his car will be, it just doesn't make any sense to talk about adapting to F1 other way there wouldn't be rookies in the sports or they would not shine until they spend several years adapting to the sport, I guess a rookie should have a harder time adapting than someone who already knows the sport.

Its total crap. Anyone would think, with the amount of fuss they make over the changes to the tyres, that they were using square wheels or something this year compared to when he was last racing. What about rally? Every single event is completely different to the last. Adjustment anyone?

PS Brad you cant have Kimi, hes mine.

There are far worse drivers with better cars.

But why talk about that long, long standing fact... that has forever been tiptoed around here.

Let's instead go off on Kimi.

Such is the state of the forums and the track.

There are far worse drivers with better cars.

But why talk about that long, long standing fact... that has forever been tiptoed around here.

Let's instead go off on Kimi.

Such is the state of the forums and the track.

I've had enough of your complaining pessimistic views... it's really draining...

go catch some fish somewhere else!

and give us Kimi fans our moment, like our other posters patiently do...

Is Raikkonen the most mysterious driver who ever sat in an F1 car? You can make a credible argument for him in saying that he is one of the fastest on the grid, and you can make a credible argument against him to say that he doesn't give a f**k either way.

I loved him at McLaren when he demolished DC and JPM with his speed and I thought that his move to Ferrari would be good for him, no more reliability problems from McLaren and Mercedes to worry about, Ferrari's were built proof and he would storm the 2007 title and show us how fast and consistent he coudl be. Well, that didn't happen, but he did win the title, just. The less said about 2008 the better. How he allowed Massa to have the upper hand over him I'll never know.

So his performance this year is completely unknown. Will it be the Kimi of the McLaren years, dragging the car higher up the grid than it should be, or will it be the Kimi of the Ferrari years, just doing enough and often a lot less than enough to justifiy your place in the team and the salary you demand. Let us hope its the former, rather than the latter because the grid could do with another charger in the field, rather than a plodder.

Is Raikkonen the most mysterious driver who ever sat in an F1 car? You can make a credible argument for him in saying that he is one of the fastest on the grid, and you can make a credible argument against him to say that he doesn't give a f**k either way.

I loved him at McLaren when he demolished DC and JPM with his speed and I thought that his move to Ferrari would be good for him, no more reliability problems from McLaren and Mercedes to worry about, Ferrari's were built proof and he would storm the 2007 title and show us how fast and consistent he coudl be. Well, that didn't happen, but he did win the title, just. The less said about 2008 the better. How he allowed Massa to have the upper hand over him I'll never know.

So his performance this year is completely unknown. Will it be the Kimi of the McLaren years, dragging the car higher up the grid than it should be, or will it be the Kimi of the Ferrari years, just doing enough and often a lot less than enough to justifiy your place in the team and the salary you demand. Let us hope its the former, rather than the latter because the grid could do with another charger in the field, rather than a plodder.

welcome back btw

Its total crap. Anyone would think, with the amount of fuss they make over the changes to the tyres, that they were using square wheels or something this year compared to when he was last racing. What about rally? Every single event is completely different to the last. Adjustment anyone?

PS Brad you cant have Kimi, hes mine.

You can add to that the fact that Pirelli is bringing new tires these season so it will be the same for everybody in that department.

I've had enough of your complaining pessimistic views... it's really draining...

go catch some fish somewhere else!

and give us Kimi fans our moment, like our other posters patiently do...

Sure, sure. Blame me. That's done wonders in the past.

Yawn...

welcome back btw

Cheers pal. You're a long time dead, but I'm back and ready for the up and coming car launches and then the season.