Clicky

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insider

Kimi Returns - So What?

:lol: You're not a betting man are you? :P

Me and him are pretty close. You know, hang out a lot, go out, see the sights and stuff.

*Realises he shouldnt be making his fantasies public.

You can add to that the fact that Pirelli is bringing new tires these season so it will be the same for everybody in that department.

Too true.

Me and him are pretty close. You know, hang out a lot, go out, see the sights and stuff.

*Realises he shouldnt be making his fantasies public.

dressing in gorilla suits, go to parties and dink vodka mixes etc etc... :lol:

Kimi's return is an interesting footnote, but little more in my opinion. He's no longer in a frontrunning team, and I can't see it taking him long to get bored again if he doesn't start winning.

Kimi's return is an interesting footnote, but little more in my opinion. He's no longer in a frontrunning team, and I can't see it taking him long to get bored again if he doesn't start winning.

Q: How's your motivation?

KR: There's always talk about my motivation, written by people who don't know me and couldn't have an idea on how strong my motivation is. If I didn't feel I had the motivation, I would stop. My feeling is that I probably drove some of my best races in my last season in Formula One and I was very happy with my performance. I've never had any issues with motivation.

That's sports, eh?

Athlete is so absorbed in the game, he's boring, stone-cold, distant, taking his stupid occupation of doing nothing for a lot of money far too seriously.

Athlete enjoys a life outside of the game, he's distracted, he's not motivated, he doesn't care, he has no work ethic, he's wasting an opportunity billions of others wish they could have.

Of course, if the first athlete is losing, then he has tremendous heart and is such a great worker and we all want him to succeed. If the second athlete is winning, he's a great guy living the life and engaging as the sport's most colorful personality.

If you work hard, you have to lose a lot. If you play hard, you have to win a lot. That's how you get people to love you as a sportsman when you don't have the surname or nationality to receive blind affection.

Not that Räikkönen thinks about any of that. He doesn't care at all, and I'll give him credit for that.

Did u guys read this???

Raikkonen’s Valencia test – An engineer’s perspective

By Editor on Sunday, February 5, 2012

For his re-acquaintance with an F1 car Kimi Raikkonen used a Renault R30, chassis number 3, as used during 2010 pre-season testing by Vitaly Petrov and Robert Kubica. The car was subsequently raced by Robert Kubica from the season-opening Bahrain Grand Prix until round thirteen, the Belgian Grand Prix. The R30-03 was also used for the end of season young driver test.

Lotus F1 Team engineer Simon Rennie was present in Valencia when Raikkonen was testing the 2010-spec R30 and shares his thoughts from an engineering perspective about the Finn’s test.

What are your impressions of Kimi after the two-day test in Valencia?

It went very well. He’s a fantastic driver with a proven track record and a lot of experience so it was no surprise to see him on the pace straight away. Having said that, we were all impressed with how quickly he got up to speed in the car; his first run produced a lap that was only a few tenths away from his best lap of the day which was incredible to say the least. On the second day he was even quicker, so it was all very positive.

What was Kimi like away from the technical side? How did his relationship with the team evolve over the course of the two days?

He is very easy to work with; extremely professional and focused. But on top of that, he’s extremely laid back and we had some good banter with him while he was with us which is important as it builds a good relationship with the guys. There were four engineers as well as myself working with Kimi and he made a real effort to keep each of us updated on what he liked and didn’t like about the way the car felt. Again, this is really useful for us, as it helps us to get the car working in a way that suits him best, which ultimately will of course lead to him feeling comfortable and producing his quickest lap times.

We heard Kimi commenting that he felt an unexpected difference in the brake balance of the car at one stage; what happened there?

This really showed us something about Kimi. Overnight the brake balance was shifted slightly rearwards to help lock up the rear wheels during a bite point learn, and when Kimi returned to the car for his install lap the next day he instantly noticed the difference and exactly what had caused it. To have been out of a Formula 1 car for two years and still pick up on these subtle differences so quickly really demonstrates how sharp he is as a driver.

KR: Whatisthisdialbrakebalanceseton4rearinsteadof3rearfor?Ihavesillyengineerstryingtoplayatrickonme.

Engineers: Bugger.

Ermmm...Brad...my friend...how to put this?...Noticing a change in brake bias from one session to the next is not exactly what I would choose to highlight a driver's "sharpness". That's not a subtle change at all, from a driver's view.

In fact, is about second or third in a list of things a driver should notice which goes like this:

1) "Can the driver notice that the engine is started?"

2) "Does the driver knows that F1 cars have no headlights?"

3) "Does the driver knows that he does not have to pay at pitstop for refuelling? Does he try to give the pitcrew his credit card?"

4) "Can the driver tell whether the brake balance has been moved from front to rear?"

Etc.

I don't get the point of that interview. Either they are trying too hard with PR or something is missing. As it is...sorry, but doesn't help your case in favor of Kimi :P

Ermmm...Brad...my friend...how to put this?...Noticing a change in brake bias from one session to the next is not exactly what I would choose to highlight a driver's "sharpness". That's not a subtle change at all, from a driver's view.

In fact, is about second or third in a list of things a driver should notice which goes like this:

1) "Can the driver notice that the engine is started?"

2) "Does the driver knows that F1 cars have no headlights?"

3) "Does the driver knows that he does not have to pay at pitstop for refuelling? Does he try to give the pitcrew his credit card?"

4) "Can the driver tell whether the brake balance has been moved from front to rear?"

Etc.

I don't get the point of that interview. Either they are trying too hard with PR or something is missing. As it is...sorry, but doesn't help your case in favor of Kimi :P

was just for a matter of interest, not to prove a point...

was just for a matter of interest, not to prove a point...

:lol: Sorry, didn't want to disappoint you! After all you (and Kimi!) are "one of us" now in the Team Poochie family! :D

I just did not get the point of the interview, nothing wrong with your posting. I think they are trying too hard to make Kimi look like a high focused, expert car developer and I think they shouldn't. It will backfire.

We all know that Kimi looks like a rather oblivious, barely communicative driver. Just as nobody will discuss for a second that he was always capable of being blindingly fast, and that his PR unfriendly approach was a blessing as much as a curse. No, no...don't get mad, it's just the image built through many years either because of his own actions or because of a collective imaginary that is hard to change. Now, either this Kimi stereotype is wrong or not. If it's not, he will prove everybody wrong on track (and off the track) during the season.

If you recall, at first Kubica was regarded by everybody but Piotr as an unrefined, eager but clumsy and accident-prone driver and certainly no match for Quick Nick in terms of racecraft. Much like Petrov would be considered now. Yet the guy is now very much respected (to the point of being overhyped, and for the record I consider myself now a Kubica fan).

My point being, let the guy race. That is what he does best and if he does it good enough, we will all say how great he is and how we all were Kimi suuporters since the very beginning :whistle:

yeah, I agree. But what must Lotus do if they're really impressed with Kimi....keep quiet? I guess Kimi needs to prove all the doubters wrong, he has a golden opportunity now...

yeah, I agree. But what must Lotus do if they're really impressed with Kimi....keep quiet? I guess Kimi needs to prove all the doubters wrong, he has a golden opportunity now...

As I always say, when a team hires/fires a driver we can discuss on whether we agree or not, but they certainly know at least as much as we do and obviously a great deal more than that.

When you read things like "Lotus made a mistake by hiring Kimi, the guy does not give a Sh#t" or "Schumi? He is old and hasn't been around for years, Merc fail!" or "Ferrari brought themselves a huge headache, Alonso does not like competition, they will not be able to manage him". Whoever thinks that Lotus did not discuss Kimi's work ethics, or Merc was not aware of Schumi's age, or Ferrari was not around in 2007 is ever more of an idiot that he/she thinks the team owners are for hiring these guys. On the other hand, it is true that sometimes teams make IMHO some big PR blunders. Lotus love-hate relationship with Kimi is one example "We are talking with Kimi", "We never would have hired him, he has no work ethics", "He is the best thing ever"...Bouillier tends to be too extremist, and he certainly is not as good at being facetious as Flavio was :lol: I also think that LdM is going too far with Massa. I have no simpathy for Felipinho as an F1 driver, but I don't think he deserves to be continuously humiliated in public while Alonso is being idolized. If you don't like the guy, fire him, if you like him, keep him, if the answer is "something in between" then have a talk with him in private, do not send him an ultimatum on launch day!

Sorry, rambling mode off! :D

As I always say, when a team hires/fires a driver we can discuss on whether we agree or not, but they certainly know at least as much as we do and obviously a great deal more than that.

When you read things like "Lotus made a mistake by hiring Kimi, the guy does not give a Sh#t" or "Schumi? He is old and hasn't been around for years, Merc fail!" or "Ferrari brought themselves a huge headache, Alonso does not like competition, they will not be able to manage him". Whoever thinks that Lotus did not discuss Kimi's work ethics, or Merc was not aware of Schumi's age, or Ferrari was not around in 2007 is ever more of an idiot that he/she thinks the team owners are for hiring these guys. On the other hand, it is true that sometimes teams make IMHO some big PR blunders. Lotus love-hate relationship with Kimi is one example "We are talking with Kimi", "We never would have hired him, he has no work ethics", "He is the best thing ever"...Bouillier tends to be too extremist, and he certainly is not as good at being facetious as Flavio was :lol: I also think that LdM is going too far with Massa. I have no simpathy for Felipinho as an F1 driver, but I don't think he deserves to be continuously humiliated in public while Alonso is being idolized. If you don't like the guy, fire him, if you like him, keep him, if the answer is "something in between" then have a talk with him in private, do not send him an ultimatum on launch day!

Sorry, rambling mode off! :D

U have now successfully confused me... When I get home I will dissect and respond :lol:

U have now successfully confused me... When I get home I will dissect and respond :lol:

:lol: No wonder! I just re read my post and I have no idea why I ended up talking about Massa and Luca!

:lol: No wonder! I just re read my post and I have no idea why I ended up talking about Massa and Luca!

I took one look at your post again and and thought whatever point you had you win... :lol:

Did u guys read this???

Raikkonen’s Valencia test – An engineer’s perspective

By Editor on Sunday, February 5, 2012

We heard Kimi commenting that he felt an unexpected difference in the brake balance of the car at one stage; what happened there?

This really showed us something about Kimi. Overnight the brake balance was shifted slightly rearwards to help lock up the rear wheels during a bite point learn, and when Kimi returned to the car for his install lap the next day he instantly noticed the difference and exactly what had caused it. To have been out of a Formula 1 car for two years and still pick up on these subtle differences so quickly really demonstrates how sharp he is as a driver.

Wonder if he found an icecream squished between the pedals? jokes apart, LEGENDARY. Something I'm more happy with is the intensity I felt he had when he saw Eric Bouiler speaking at the launch of the E20 and said 'we have a world champion and that motivates the team. Felt like Kimi actually gave a sh!t! or was having one.. duh

More interesting news...

Raikkonen to reunite with former McLaren engineer

Kimi Raikkonen will have a familiar race engineer for his return to Formula 1 this year. Finnish reports in Turun Sanomat and the television broadcaster MTV3 claim that the 2007 world champion will work with Mark Slade.

Slade, recently at Mercedes GP working alongside Michael Schumacher, was Raikkonen’s race engineer at McLaren years ago. Slade also previously worked as a race engineer to Mika Hakkinen and Heikki Kovalainen.

Raikkonen will start working together with his engineer at Barcelona at the last test before Melbourne. “I wanted him and I am pleased that it worked out,” Raikkonen confirmed.

f1zone.net

This confirms to me that Kimi knows what he needs and place some demands to get him back up to the top.... lovely stuff!!!!

Is this the same Kimi who were uncommucative, could'nt lead and could'nt give feedback to engineers..

very strange

http://www.totalf1.com/full_story/view/406821/Raikkonen_delivers_big_motivational_boost_to_team/

Yep, the very same. When he was at Sauber and McLaren he earned that lazy, self-absorbed reputation. His stint at Ferrari changed him for the better (as I have said before). Good on him for growing as a person.

Yep, the very same. When he was at Sauber and McLaren he earned that lazy, self-absorbed reputation. His stint at Ferrari changed him for the better (as I have said before). Good on him for growing as a person.

I did'nt ponder if he was lazy or self absorbed... but then, how would you really know?

Even then, what would really constitute him being lazy, he always did what the team expected of him, even in his Ferrari days... Why would a team hire him if he indeed has that reputation? He was even recommended by Whitmarsh, how do we explain it? If you said he has grown, how would the team know that. I'm just thinking out loud here...

I have always thought there was more to the whole axing from Ferrari for Alonso than met the eye. In my very humble opinion, I think that Alonso was putting certain requests to Ferrari that Kimi was not prepared to necessarily live with, and as Kimi is not one to use the media to voice anything negative, he just sort of shrugged and said "if that's the way you want it, I'll toddle off" and left it at that.....

With Alonso who knows. How he escaped any punishment sifting through the stolen Ferrari info with PDR when he was at McLaren confuses me to this day. So if he was playing the diva and making all sorts of demands or what have you towards Kimi I wouldn't be surprised.